Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• Options
    george2kmaxgeorge2kmax Member Posts: 94
    Bob,

If Nissan Model Matrix at http://www.freshalloy.com/cars/nissan/nissan_matrix.html and as you said Motortrend are correct in their predictions for the 2002 Maxima, then the 2002 Maxima will be very fast and powerful. Remember if they are correct the 2003 Maxima moves up in size and you will loss the added HP to weight Ratio gain that you got in the 2002 Maxima. This sounds like a great deal in that the 2002 Maxima could be the real car enthusiasts car for many years to come.

If I were in your shoes I would try and hold out for the 2002 Maxima. If they do not put the 3.5L engine in the 2002, then they will most likely put it in the 2003 in the full size version Maxima? By the way the Pathfinder is now using the 3.5L engine, so it will not be a new engine design.

George
  • Options
    jeffmaxse2kjeffmaxse2k Member Posts: 38
    How do the dates on the TSB's relate to on what cars are affected? For example the TSB for the TCM issue was marked 05/00. Does this means that cars with a build on or after 05/00 should not be affected by the TSB? The right strut noise TSB was issued 03/00...cars built aftre this date should not exhibit these problems? Not just these 2 examples but all TSB's(except for rattles, squeaks TSB's etc)

Thanks
  • Options
    If you can't take the normal Maxima noises that that your car makes, why don't you consider trading it in for anything except another Nissan. I am sure you would be a much happy person afterwards.

George
  • Options
    I have to agree with you about the current Maxima being the right size. That's why the 2002 Maxima might be our last chance to own a Maxima and still feel like we are in a Sports Sedan. We will have to wait and see what changes will be coming in 2002?

George
  • Options
    kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    I hate NYC!! my new islandic pearl GLE only has 1200 miles on it and this weekend, i noticed someone had bumped into my back bumper and took off a thin strip of paint!! arghhhh!!! it either have only one layer of paint on it or they hit me pretty bad cause i see a black line! what do you guys do about covering up scratches? i'm thinking about getting some nissan touchup paint, apply it very lightly and then applying some wax... any advice?
  • Options
    joenissanjoenissan Member Posts: 313
    Those dates only mean that's when it was filed. They pertain to ALL 2k's.

As for the 3.5 VQ. It is NOT a new engine...it is in fact the same VQ used in the Maxima currently, just bored to 3.5L and with a few MINOR changes including Nissans version of Variable Valve Timing. Sorry to burst the bubbles of some but...you won't see the 3.5 in the current Maxima version. It will, however, be available in the new 2003's larger (and possible RWD) version, and even then...only on the SE model.
    Keep in mind though that Nissan changes things quite often...lol..maybe to throw some people off...who knows. But also remember...Freshalloy
    hasn't been right on a Nissan product in the few years I've been watching them, and they are not in ANY way affiliated with Nissan Motor Corp.

Joe
  • Options
    Depending on how big the scratch is....I'd have it repainted. You have the same color car as I do, and the touch-up paint is meant only for that...TOUCH-UP. The touch-up paint doesn't match properly because of the pearl, and it'll stand out like a sore thumb !

Joe
  • Options
    Joe...as I understand it a TSB is a warranty that
    Nissan provides the dealer with that means that
    they have discovered an issue with certain cars and
    they will cover it if a customer complains....if a
    TSB was issued lets say in Sept of 99 because of a
    certain issue with the glovebox...because Nissan
    has identified this as an issue would they continue to build cars in later months with this same issue or would it not be safe to say that a car built in 02/00 would not have this same glovebox problem?

Of course I'm just making this TSB up but I think
    you know what I mean.

Thanks as always

Jeff
  • Options
    automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    blackstone3
    Break-In is for more than just the engine - There are thousands of moving parts in a car, they all have to get to know each other before being stressed by high speed and temperature, or they can be slightly damaged or hardened. Besides the engine parts, there are pumps, seals, alternators, transmission bearings, u-joints, wheel bearings, etc. etc. Also - given the number of new cars sold daily, I doubt you would pay for the space and overhead to break in your engine for you - it would be VERY costly.

I did NOT do a break-in 3 new cars ago. My payoff was really poor mileage, much less even than the EPA rating for the 3 years I had it. My last 2 cars were REALLY carefully broken-in for more than 1000 miles, and I got terrific gas mileage and great performance - up to 30 mpg on a Lexus ES300. Coincidence? Maybe, but it is cheap insurance.
  • Options
    Most people that touch-up their cars make them look worst. But if you have time and patience you can make the car look much better without the expense of painting the entire bumper. Take a look at this link regarding Rock Chip Repairs, you can use similar methods on your repair.
    http://smiley.tzo.com/fbody/paintchip.htm

If you pay to have the bumper repainted and you live in NYC, how long do you think it will last before someone else bumps you???

Good luck

George
  • Options
    HOPEFULLY it was caught and corrected after that date. That doesn't mean you should assume that though. Although each TSB does give prodution dates or VIN #'s of the cars affected by the TSB.

Joe
  • Options
    Thanks..thats the info I was looking for

George, thanks for that link...it will come in mighty handy especially us with darker Max's :)
  • Options
    gilamonstergilamonster Member Posts: 2
    Take a look at this site I happened to find today regarding fixing paint chips...
    http://www.langka.com. I don't have any personal knowledge of the product but it sounds quite practical.
  • Options
    warrenulwarrenul Member Posts: 50
    I live in Queens and every numbnutz within the city parks by feel. They don't stop until they hit something. This happens when they back up and when they go forward.

I guess this is the price you pay when every inch of space is needed for parallel parking! You can get it repaired, but, sooner or later it will happen again.

Too bad those big bolt-on bumperettes can't be installed like on cars when they had REAL (metal) bumbers.
  • Options
    bamadjbamadj Member Posts: 18
    After reading several posts about "breaking in" an engine and not knowing how to and whether it was a problem for AT... The service guy told me that there really isn't a break-in period and it's done within the first few miles. He looked at me like I was crazy and not knowing all about cars, I left it at that. I still believe there is a "break in" period, but I couldn't just let my car sit there undriven while I found out. It now has 1240 miles on it - thanks to 2 separate trips to Nashville since I got the car. :-(

bamadj
  • Options
    jjaggersjjaggers Member Posts: 9
    I hope you are right about the 2002 MAX. I was thinking about waiting just to get the 3.5 Engine in the same size car. I just could not wait any more so, I am buying a 2001 Infiniti I-30L this week. I like the body style so much more. I will look at the Maxima/Infiniti situation again in a year or two. I really wanted the Maxima because the nearest Infiniti dealer to me is over 300 miles and Nissan will not honor warranty work on Infiniti. Also, just wanted to let you know I have read a lot of your post and want to thank you for the service you provide to a lot of people.

Jim
  • Options
    borsystborsyst Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for your feedback a number of posts ago to my questions (re: TCM, brakes, fan). One further question though on the brakes. Is the TSB that is out there for the groaning/creeking noise or for the warped rotors. Or is there one for each. Just trying to have as much info as possible so the service department takes me seriously. Thanks.
  • Options
    maximizdmaximizd Member Posts: 18
    I have seen these color coordinated stick on rubber bumper strips that are installed along the bumpers, infact my dealer was trying to push these on me pretty hard. I have seen different styles of these, some look worse than others, and if the strip is not installed completely level it would drive me COMPLETELY insane! That being said, if you live in an area where tight parallel parking is the norm, like where we do, you may want to consider these. I guess the functionality will outweigh the cosmetic aspect of these if you really need them.
  • Options
    warrenulwarrenul Member Posts: 50
    Rich, was that dealer Biener Nissan? Because they tried everything in the book to get me to buy those strips. I thought it had a "tacked on" look, which was not to my liking. One thing with the black car is that I think the plastic underneith the paint is also black, lessening the noticablity of the scratch.

I have a driveway and I try not to park on the street in NYC all that often. Since I spend most of the time in Suffolk County, which mostly is parking lots, I don't have to worry about the bumpers all that much. I am always conscious of where and how I park, I like to take an end spot and get as close to the curb as possible to give me that extra cusion of space between cars. But I do worry about the door dings all the time.
  • Options
    Thank you for your praising post. It's nice to see people do take at least SOME of my info and put it to good use, that's what keeps me coming back.
    Personally, I think this "power" thing is really starting to get WAAAAY out of hand. The Maxima has more power than any "normal" person could possibly ever use. I mean look.....when you can get a 3g+ LB family sedan to 60 in under 7 seconds, and top out at over 140MPH....isn't that enough ? What do we want to do...pin our kids heads to the headrests on the way to grandma's ?
    (My god.....LMAO...I crack myself up sometimes)
    My oldest son is 10. Imagine when he's..lets say.....23. They'll be saying "Gees....you only have 700HP ?...I have 950HP and my car only weighs 2500LBS"!
    The Maxima has ALWAYS been close to the top of the "Must have" cars not necessarily because it's a fast car but, because it stands out from the "appliance-mobiles", is roomy, comfy, very fun to drive and has a terrific reliability rating.
    I think the 3.5VG engine if used in a new larger Maxima would be find because of the added weight but....using it in the current version, to me anyhow, would be overkill. We'll see just what Nissan plans to do.

Joe
  • Options
    TSB # NTB00016 deals with the brake noise. There are also two(2) separate TSB's on a right front strut "Thunking" noise. To my current knowledge, there is no TSB out for the overtightened lugs or rotor warpage....BUT......it shows up well within the warranty period and is covered.
    I replaced my rotors at 17k...I didn't resurface them as some dealers are doing.
    Even though there may not be a TSB for the rotors, Nissan is aware of the problem because of the frequency of visits from our customers about just that issue.

Joe
  • Options
    aaronw1aaronw1 Member Posts: 9
    I actually did not install it myself. I was doing the 15,000 mile service at around the same time, so i just had them do it. I may have paid a little more than the wrench monkeys at best buy, but at least it's probably done better. I don't think it's pre-wired, but I might be wrong, i didn't see them do the work. That alcove in the left side of the trunk could fit a CD changer, but it wouldn' fit well in there because the magazine couldn't eject out properly. It is on the left side, about 9" away from the side wall, with a north-south orientation. It actually works out well, because i can put stuff inbetween it and the trunk sidewall and it won't move around as much. I also heard about the burned CD reading ability, and I don't know anything about that... Hope this helps..

aw
  • Options
    maximizdmaximizd Member Posts: 18
    Yes, Beiner was the dealer and they really put the hard sell on these to me. I don't like the way they look and where I live I don't need them. I share your parking lot views, there are some spots I would NEVER park in no matter what. I too always take an end spot, protected by a curb on one side and park as far away from the next spot as possible. I also try to stay away from tress for fear of sap (the pine trees on my block are KILLER) and any spot that I have to think twice about for any reason gets passed up. I don't care if I have to circle the lot for 15 minutes, if I can't get a parking spot to meet my approval, I won't park there!
  • Options
    lsflsf Member Posts: 98
    There's another reason to avoid trees....bird droppings can be a killer on your car's finish!
  • Options
    If the Maxima wants to have a snow ball's chance in hell to compete with other sport sedans like the Acura 3.2L CL which has 260HP, then how will they do it without increasing their HP. I don't think they will be able to compete by looks alone.

I don't think that when my son is ready to drive, that his car will have 700-900 HP. But I do remember 20 years ago owning a 1965 Mustang with 225 HP. So in 20 years time the HP has not changed much. Sometimes it goes up and other times it goes down. Most of the time it will be determined by gas supply and what customers desire.

George
  • Options
    norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    I am surprised no one has replied to my earlier query: My CD changer stopped playing discs. It has 5 CDs inside. I can access the discs, put more in and take them out. Can anyone offer any help?

Wheel lug nuts: I just rotated my tires at 7700 miles two days ago. When taking out the lug nuts, I noticed they were particularly hard to undo on both back wheels. The front ones were easier. I have 5 full-size wheels with tires. I suspect someone might have played with that the wheels before the car was delivered to me?? But I did not notice any symptoms of rotor warpage. I torqued the lug nuts to about 80 ft-lbs each. And noted that the jack supplied with the car is not bad compared to those on my earlier cars.
  • Options
    That should have been "... with the back wheels before the car was delivered to me??" Sorry ... Norbert
  • Options
    bob374bob374 Member Posts: 6
    I believe there is another manifestation of the ECU/ICV "fuel-cut" that can be noticed at higher speeds and with either 5-speed or automatic transmission. My 2k Max is an automatic.
    When going down a long downgrade with cruise control engaged, you can notice the engine holding the car back to the cruise setting while gradually reducing the throttle position. At some point, the engine suddenly closes the throttle (fuel-cut), and you can feel the car slowing rather abruptly, as if you had tapped the brakes. The car will then slow below the set cruise speed, and the cruise control opens the throttle again, "releasing" the car to start accelerating. The process then repeats, giving you the feeling that the brakes are being lightly applied about every 5-15 seconds.
    I've noticed this a lot on interstate highway downgrades in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, New York, and anywhere where you're going through the mountains.
    While I don't consider this a significant "problem", I'd like to know if others have noticed this and if you agree that it is another instance of the same fuel-cut phenomena.
    Regards,
    Bob374
  • Options
    Yeah, I have experienced the same thing especially rolling on long down-grades. The bottom line of input from other guys was not to worry about it too much. You can always disengage your cruise control (or turn the overdrive off as advised in the Owner's Manual) when that is happening if it bothers you.
  • Options
    gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    george2kmax: Actually, horsepower has gone up quite a bit since your 65 Mustang. You now drive a "family car" that has as much horsepower as your old mustang, better streight line acceleration, and better handling. Don't forget, the top of the line Mustang , the Cobra 'R', now puts out 385 hp.
  • Options
    cabowabodudecabowabodude Member Posts: 45
    It makes sense to me that they would put the 3.5 in the Max in the 2002 model. Per Motor Trend.
    2002 Nissan Altima: Redesigned on new platform, the Altima grows in size to compete with Accord and Camry. Engines: 2.4-liter four and 3.0-liter V-6.

2002 Nissan Maxima: Engine increases to 3.5-liter/260- horsepower V-6.

To me if the Max does not get the 3.5-liter engine, the Max would be hurting in sales cause people would be buying the altima with the 3.0-liter V-6. So it seems that the Max would get the 3.5 260HP to Distance it from the Altima that gets redesigned next year. Do you think I may be right or just loosing my mind.
    Mark
  • Options
    lexbubblelexbubble Member Posts: 1
    I couldn't help but notice all the info on the various Maximas. I own a 92, and I love it. It has around 150K miles. The car just runs!!! My only gripe is a short in my front passenger door that the dealer cannot fix (yet). But, because my car is like "my kid," My best friend purchased a 20th anniversary 3wks ago, and his sister bought a 2K SE. In terms of the 2002, my only concern is, WILL THERE STILL BE A STICK?!! 260 ponies to play with... pure bliss. My 92 may be getting a sibling.
  • Options
    So what do you mean by 'access the discs'? What happens when you select a disc from the front?" Does the number stop blinking? Have you verified that it actually loads the CD you have selected? (have someone go to the trunk and watch the machinery) I assume you've tried different CDs...
  • Options
    When I slide the little door on top of the 6-disc changer and push a little button there, the cartridge comes up. Which I interpret to mean that there is power coming to the changer. There are 5 discs in the changer and I shuffled them around (by hand, having the cartridge out), making sure the 1st and last position is filled.

On the other hand, when I push the CD/CHG button on the console, nothing happens unless there is a CD in the single-disc player on the console. That one will play OK. The question, then, is: What is wrong with the changer?

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Gerapau,

If you look at the top of the line Mustang Shelby GT500 in 1968-1969 it had about the same HP as your New top of the line Cobra Mustang with 385HP. Again the HP has not changed much in 20 years. As far as handling goes, of course the handling is going to be far better today, I never said my 65 Mustang from 20 years ago had good handling. In fact it had terrible handling!!

George
  • Options
    kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    sounds like the cables on either end aren't plugged in. cause what u describe is how mine is, i dont have the changer, i press the cd button and unless i have a cd in the headunit, nothing happens. check your wiring.
  • Options
    I had the back bumper cover replaced but as far as I can tell, there was no reason to disconnect any cables there. (Joe, can you please confirm that?)

Over the weekend, I rotated the tires and looked around every wheel well when that tire was out. I specifically verified that what seems like a connection to the changer (two wires, at the bottom of the car) was connected. There was a whole bunch of what looked like little hoses connecting there also, and I did not understand what they were doing there. Maybe someone in this forum would be kind enough to shed light on this changer mystery...
  • Options
    The Maxima competes just fine against the Acuras' 260HP...and with only 222 HP...as a matter of fact...the old 190HP Maxima will (with the 5 spd) match the CL-S's 0-60 numbers, and lose the CL-S in the twisties so...HP ISN'T everything.
    As for HP.....HP numbers have gone WAY up over the years. That's not to say there haven't been high HP cars in the past. Your average V6 (or I6) family sedan in the late 80's, early 90's was far below the 200HP target of even some of todays small cars. My point wasn't to say that there aren't people out there, such as yourself, that feel that HP makes the car or...that want high HP cars, my point is simply that enough is enough already. Unless you've gone to one of those special driving schools such as the one at Lime Rock (Like I did...lol)...you wouldn't be able to properly use the Maximas already high 222 HP, unless maybe you're just interested in 0-60 numbers, and even then...you'd better be pretty darn quick with the 5 spd.

Joe
  • Options
    cachetcachet Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know what if anything fits in the blank spaces near the mirror control switch on the 2000 Max dash? There are 2 blank plastic pieces (that look similar to the ones that fit where there heated seat switches) located just under the mirror switch. Also there is a blank plastic 'slug' located to the left of the mirror switch. I thought one of those was for the traction control switch but the owners manual shows it on the right side of the dash.
  • Options
    last time I checked...LOL..I wasn't god so....Sure...anything's possible. I know the new larger Maxima in 2003 or so will have the 3.5VQ...I just don't believe it will be available in the current version. Can I be wrong ?? of course. I can only go on the info that Nissan gives me, and my contacts at NDI in CA.

George...By the way, please keep in mind that my last 2 posts are strictly personal opinion, and in no way do I mean to sound as if you're wrong.

Norbert..There are no wires in ANY wheelwell...at least there shouldn't be. If you're talking about behind the wheelwell....there is the vapor box return for the fuel loop system behind the drivers rear wheel, and you'll find hoses and such going to that. If the CD changer seems to be getting power, and changing discs, it may simply be the connection to the head unit itself.

Joe
  • Options
    Right you are !! Their used for nothing.

Joe
  • Options
    In my changer (admittedly the 'aftermarket' version, when I push the magazine in, the unit pulls out and pushes in every plastic sleeve. You can see it if you are looking straight down at it in the gap between the cartridge and the insides. It does this even with the door open. Does yours do this now, or has it ever?
  • Options
    jimmie7jimmie7 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know roughly where the center of gravity is on the Maxima? I'm trying to figure out whether I can jack up the entire front of the car to rotate my tires. Thanks...
  • Options
    Aaron: You seem to have a different unit from the one Nissan puts in.

Joe, you are right, the wires are past the side and behind the driver rear wheel wheel well. It seems to me from what you wrote that the wires I saw are for the vapor box. I speculate now that the electrical connection to the changer must be hidden behind the lining in the trunk. Can you comment on that theory? Should I open the lining inside the trunk? I do not get any disk sounds like changing the CDs at all. As I wrote earlier, the CD/CHG button on the console is completely ignored by the changer in the trunk.

Thanks a Million ... Norbert
  • Options
    Joe,

Your comparing a 5-speed Maxima to a Acura automatic. We know 5-speeds are faster then automatics. The 5-speed Maxima is about 1 sec faster then the automatic Maxima which we all knew.

Any HP gains have been in the 4 or 6 cylinder engines. The reason is that these engines replaced many 8 cylinder engines due to federal gas mileage requirements. The 6 cylinder engines became the mainstream engine. Now with advanced new engine designs the goal is to give cars good gas mileage and at the same time good performance.

So that's why I was comparing small 8 cylinder engines of years past with advanced new 6 cylinder engines. Someone like myself would be driving a small V8 20 years ago, but now I am driving an advanced 6 cylinder engine. If you look at the top of the line car like the Mustang GT-500 from 20 years ago and compare it to the Mustang Cobra today you will see very little difference in HP.

I can't say for sure that Nissan will put the 3.5L engine in the Maxima in 2002. But it sure would be nice to see, drive and maybe own!!!

BTW It would make more sense if Nissan waited and put the 3.5L engine in the next platform of the Maxima. Nissan has always done that in the past.

George
  • Options
    adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    I think that 80 lbs/ft torque is a bit low for the Max. I would recommend using 92 lbs/ft.
  • Options
    If the connection to the head unit came undone, I would thing you'd get the "NO DJ" LED's on the head unit itself. I would check all the connections in the trunk, both at the changer itself, and at the harness end which runs behind the trunk liner.

Joe
  • Options
    Seeing as most cars today are either 4 bangers or 6 cylinders, those are the engines I was refering to. In the past, you'd be hard pressed to find a V6 that would easily out excellerate a V8. Today it's commonplace.

Joe
  • Options
    andrewcookeandrewcooke Member Posts: 4
    Am I in the wrong section, or is this the place to ask: what can I expect to pay for a 2001 GLE? Any hints, ideas, deals I should know about? (I split my time between NYC and Minneapolis - could buy in either town.) Thanks!
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    That black strip on your bumper from somesone hitting it may be paint off of his bumper. Try wiping it off first before repainting. Maybe try using a tar remover.