Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Quality Control Issues

Comments

• tcpip1tcpip1 Member Posts: 121
    I have an '89 Accord DX 5-speed stick that I bought it new. It has about 180K miles now. The interior of the car still looks great. The original engine and transmission are still working well. I drove it from NJ to Houston and back in March. The car is still going strong. :)

I guess modern cars (e.g., V6 Accords) are more complicated and hence more likely to experience problems. Recently, I acquired a '94 Legend GS with 65K miles. The car still looks as new as a 2000 Accord V6 EXL when parked side by side. The Accord owner (my neighbor) still amazed that the car is a '94. :) I wish that the Legend has a gas mileage as good as the current 3.2TL.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    I think eeel drive's a '98 Intrepid, and that '88 is just a typo. He's had several LH's before, and, like me, I think is one of the minority that's actually had good luck with 'em! Well, I've only got 46K on mine, so it's still too early to tell if it's going to last forever!

As far as Accord reliability goes, well, I only know one person with a current-gen model, and she's happy with it. I do know several people who own/have owned Accords though the years, and the only one I can think of that was a real POS was my friend's 80, back in college. Now I do have a some friends who used to own a '94 Civic, that proved to be the worst car they've ever owned. But, judging from their previous cars, they probably didn't take good care of this one either. Or maybe it WAS a lemon, who knows? Everybody's entitled to make a lemon every once in awhile, just as long as I don't get stuck with it ;-)
  • hkdonhondahkdonhonda Member Posts: 20
    What is this fuel sender issue? My low fuel light went out about 30K miles ago, any relation to what could happen later?

What is up with the balancer shaft seal? Does it affect 6's 4's or both? What are the first signs of failure?

You've got my vote on the paint thing. Chips and scratches very easily. Solution: I have my car detailed twice a year with ZAINO products. It's been helpful. Also spent 2 years going through a NON-touchless carwash every weekend! Learned from that one...

Also noticed the rust issue behind the wheel wells. Very common on Honda products, but I could think of worse things to happen over the course of ownership...

The V6 tranny thing was news to me when I started reading Edmunds forums in 98. Never seen a V6 Accord broken down in my travels.

...Just turned 68,000 on a 98 LX-5spd sedan.
  • pblevinepblevine Member Posts: 858
    Good to hear from you again. What finally happened to your Accord?

Isell: What some folks seems to want is a place where they can dissemble to a Honda offical. As in feedback. Meaningful feedback. You HAVE been thoughtful, almost objective within your range, knowledgable, and an all round helpful person. But you've almost set yourself up as a target. That's good, we all need a few targets. So, please do not be surprised when a few 'also well meaning' individuals rant a bit. It comes with the territory. But also...Most of us have no axe to grind and DO appreciate your presence. Ya sees, fer example: there have been several "perfect" cars: there was the Chevy Corvair (loved it - my father's that is), the Edsel (ah, talk about quality control), the DeLorrian (sic, but then he "blew" it), and my favorite, the Geo Metro (ah the power).
  • bburton1bburton1 Member Posts: 395
    Do the accords built in japan have the same EPA mandated paint as the US built accords.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Probably they do.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Yeah...I know about the target situation.

Thanks for your kind words. I do try to help here whenever I can. Once in awhile I'll run into a Honda hater, or car salesperson hater or a combination of the two.

I'll usually toss off the sarcastic comments but when pushed hard enough, I'll push back sometimes.

It's when someone as much as calls me a liar that gets by blood boiling. I have no reason to do this here.

hkdonhonda...

For crying out loud, spend a few bucks and get your burned out low fuel bulb replaced! No, this has no relationship to anything else. Just a burned out bulb!

The balancer shaft seal, as I understand it applies to some 1994-1997 4 cylinder models.

Most of these will never have a problem but if the seal fails, you will know it quickly.

And, please tell me...how can an application of Zaino or any other car wax protect a car against a thrown rock that chips the paint?

Heck, I'll buy some tomorrow!
    I knew that's what it was, just not ready to tear apart my dash to fix it. It was kind of a little sarcasm thrown in to offset the peeling paint from the muffler... (Ya, got some of that too). I was actually curious about the Balancer shaft seal though. From what it sounds like, it was serious! Oh ya, about the Zaino, it doesn't protect against the rocks, but I like to have it detailed to protect any of the pits from rusting. Believe me I have plenty of pits...
    What IS the deal with fuel sender units? From what it sounds like it is just a misleading gas guage issue?
  • teamxteamx Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2001 Accord Ex-V6 last month. So far is OK. However, I have a question that if I use the higher octan 89 gasoline, will it be better for running the engine or maintenance issue? According to the owner's manual, it recommends to use octan 86 or above. Can anyone give me idea?
    Thanks
  • anselmo1anselmo1 Member Posts: 163
    The Balancer Shaft Seal problem applied to "ALL" 1994-97 Honda Accord 4 cylinder models. This is why everyone received a "recall" notice in increments. The problem was extremely serious as the seal would blow and oil would spill out in huge amounts. The problem was severe enough that your engine could seize up, and your timing belt damaged. The solution was a $5.00 retaining clip which would hold the seal into place.
    I didn't think it was ALL of them but that could be.

If someone owns one of these they definately should have the update done. The VAST majority of cars will never blow the seal but it's happened enough that Honda is fixing/updating them at no charge.

When these go, they can go quickly. The oil light will come on way before damage is done but if the driver isn't paying attention or can't pull over the engine could well be damaged.
  • lugwrenchlugwrench Member Posts: 213
    Absolutely a very serious problem if not corrected. The fix only takes around one hour and Honda will pay for it. If you haven't had the clip installed, do so as soon as possible.
    In addition to the balancer shaft seal recall-Honda also has a recall for an emissions issue. You get plugs, rotor, plug wires and a oil change. Did not get a notice on this one and it is worth quite a few bucks. Expires when odometer hits 120K. Will have mine done at 119.5
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Where'd you get that info? Could you, Isell or auburn verify that one?
  • mhobbymhobby Member Posts: 2
    You said in post number 148 that you finally found a great cleaner, what was it?
    I have used a product called Finish Fast on my windshield. It is great and also is safe for tinted windows. I do not sell the product or am I associated with the company that manufactures it.

Information may be found at the following sites.

http://www.liquid-tech.com

http://www,finishfirstpolish.com

• jho2jho2 Member Posts: 1
    1997 Honda Accord Coupe - great car, great mileage, etc., would recommend to anyone, however...lately encountering problem w/ ac. It's throwing up on the front passenger floor and sounds like a full washing machine when running the ac. Live in Columbia, SC (very HOT, very HUMID) could this be affecting it? Have appointment next week w/ dealer. Read some online posts at NHTSA about running ac in recirculate mode. Does anyone else have this problem? Know of four people in my area w/ same problem. Dealer says cost to fix $50-$250 depending on whether they have to remove the evaporator. Sounds like a design flaw - any comments, suggestions? Still love my honda - perfect car for college student.
    Sounds like your drain tube is clogged. It's actually pretty common, especially in humid environments. Just have the dealer or whomever either blow some compressed air up there or take something like a length of wire and stick it up there. It's usually mold that accumulates in that tube, so it's a good idea to bleach it or otherwise get rid of the mold, or else it'll just grow back eventually. I've had this issue with my Accord as well, and the dealer didn't even charge me to put the car on the lift and blow out the tube. (It drains near the passenger side tire, under the hood.) Hope this helps.
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    That cleaner is called "Glass Cleaner" and is made by Sprayway. It's ammonia free and comes in a pressurized can. It goes on as a foam and is safe to use on tinted windows. I got it at an auto detail supply store called Mirror Glaze. When used with newspaper as the wipe cloth it works great.
    Until finding this product I just couldn't get the windows clean, always smudges left where ever I stopped wiping.
    Had my air conditioning unit on my Accord checked out this past Friday. Water control valve had to be adjusted since it was 1/16th off. Air Conditioning unit know blows real cold air after two years. Selling dealership's service department definitely didn't know how to diagnosis the problem. Taking my Accord to a new Honda dealership that has a service technician with 26 years of Honda experience. Corrected the situation on the first try.
  • dc_sports_ruledc_sports_rule Member Posts: 134
    I also had a problem with the air conditioning unit after they replaced the condenser under warranty. My problem was also the water control valve that needed to be corrected. After that, the air conditioning unit has been flawless.
    Has anyone else noticed how fast these tires seem to wear out on the Accords?
    Actually, I got about 53,000 miles out of a set. I could have probably gone about 10,000 more, but the tread wear was compromising winter traction. I replaced them with a set of Continental Touring tires, which I'm happy with so far.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I got about 35K out of mine. They still had tread left, but wet traction was started to suffer. I replaced them with Sumitomo's and have been pretty happy.

I don't consider the poor wear of the tires to be a Honda QC issue - more a Michelin issue.
    I bought my car used off a lease, and the dealer had slapped some new Nokia (?) tires on the car. I was NOT at all impressed with those. My point is, the MX4s were not OEM to the car. robr2 is right; unless the tread wear is uneven, denoting bad suspension, tire wear is not really a car issue, but a tire one.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Actually, they were MXV4 Energy Green yadda yadda yadda which were OEM to the 98 Accord that I have. I was disappointed in them. They handled OK but didn't wear well although I rotated every 7500 miles and was vigilant on pressure. My 91 came with MXV3's and I got close to 60K out of them, then 50K out of Pirelli P6's. Heck, I even got 40K out of a set Eagle Gatorbacks on my old Daytona Shelby Z.
  • dash400mdash400m Member Posts: 55
    I just replaced my originals with a new set (52K) on my '98 Accord. The ride is smooth -- too bad tread wear isn't longer. Has anyone tried Toyo?
    I replaced my oem Honda tires at 30K with Michelin X-Ones. These tires are absolutely the best tires I have ever owned. They grip the road like no other tire. They also have the best warranty in the industry and the highest treadwear rating.
    There seems to be a correlation between Accords and OEM tire wear. Isn't the weight something like 60% front and 40% rear for the Accord?
  • dash400mdash400m Member Posts: 55
    You know, I'm wondering why I didn't consider the X-One as a replacement for the MXV4. I have X-One's on both Civics (85&89/P175-70R13), and their handling and drive is excellent (especially on the '85). These are all-season tires, and I believe they're good for at least 65K.

I personally like the MXV4 for the Accord, based on the smooth ride for highway driving. These tires were recommended, and I didn't even question or consider the X-One. Oh well, maybe next time...
    According to the Michelin dealership where I buy my tires, they emphatically state that the X-Ones are the best tires manufactured. They constantly state to all customers, if you want the best Michelin tire, buy the X-Ones. They have the best warranty in the industry and they will give you 80K miles if properly rotated.
    I have noticed another V-6 transmission problem being posted regarding a 2001 Accord. Thought this problem was resolved through the supplier? It seems to me that the problem has never been corrected.
    I have read numerous posts from Honda V-6 owners regarding transmission problems regarding their Accords. It seems that it spans from 1998-present.
    This clearly defines that this definitely was not an isolated problem and confirms that it is an on going problem to date.
    Replaced Michelin MXV4 energy yada yada with X-One's at 73K on 97 Accord LX. Now I would not run on MXV4's if they were free. The X-One has vastly better wet and snow traction and no more squealing on hard corners. They MXV4's were particularly evil at breaking loose on wet entrance ramps. That kind of thrill I do not need.

Now have 43K on the X-One's and expect to replace them at about 60 or 70K.
  • mdamesmdames Member Posts: 79
    If you'll take careful notice of ALL of the posts regarding 2001 V6 transmission "clunk" problems, you see that they are not describing the original problem which affected only a small number of 2000 Accords. This has become something of an urban legend. People hear about a noise and then they start hearing normal noises from a car and they're convinced that they have "the problem." I have yet to hear of a recent transmission problem from a V6 that is anything more than the normal sound of a transmission being put into reverse.
  • stevepakestevepake Member Posts: 21
    The Accord V6's engine was specifically designed to be able to run on 86+ octane fuel, so it does not need, nor will it take advantage of anything higher than 86 octane fuel.

Higher compression engines require higher levels of octane in the fuel to prevent pre-detonation, or pinging. The Accord V6 runs a lower compression ratio and hence does not need, nor will it take advantage of higher octane fuels.

Being able to run on 87 octane fuel is a MAJOR BENEFIT of buying an Accord V6, because the Maxima, Camry V6, and Passat V6 (Accord V6's primary competition) all require premium fuel snice they run higher compression ratios. Premium fuel costs $0.20-0.30 more per gallon, so operational costs are much higher with these other cars.

Honda's hi-tech engine designs with technologies such as VTEC and superior engineering allows their 3.0L V6 to make just as much horsepower as the competition without going to a higher compression ratio design that would require more expensive premium fuel, so enjoy the fact that you own the ONLY import V6 that can sip on nice cheap 87 octane fuel without a problem :-D
    I have read at the NHSTA listing that the clunk seems to be occurring in only the 6th generation V-6 model Accord. If it is a so-called "supplier problem", it hasn't been corrected.
    Go to the Honda Accord Problems Part 2 at Edmunds and read about the V-6 infamous clunk. When will Honda correct this problem?
    You two...It was solved a LONG time ago and you both know it!
    I suggest you go to Honda Accord Problems Part II and read all the posts regarding the transmission clunk. It has not been solved and it is an ongoing problem in the V-6 Accords that began in 1998 and still persists to this day. If it was corrected why do Honda owners still post this problem? It is a quality assurance problem that has not been corrected and that is why V-6 owners are posting the problem. Wake up will you! It is obvious that you do not want to admit Honda has a serious flaw in their V-6 transmissions.
  • dc_sports_ruledc_sports_rule Member Posts: 134
    I would take whatever isellhondas says lightly as he is a "mark" for Honda. It is quite obvious he only reads what is positive about the Accord V-6 since he SELLS HONDAS! Show me one salesman on earth that doesn't exaggerates the merits of the product that he sells! Isellhondas gets paid to sell Hondas so what do you expect from someone that is completely partial to the product line that he sells. I have read the Honda Accord Problems Part II here at Edmunds and it is beyond me that isellhondas doesn't comprehend what consumers are posting.
    He just doesn't want to believe what he reads. Anything he ever posts is always agressive in nature defending at all costs Honda's reputation.
    Just don't pay any attention to his comments.
    I shall temper my response.

The original problem involved some 99-2000 V-6 Accords and Odysseys. A small percentage of the production were affected because a supplier decided to change the specs of a part without consulting Honda.

The affected cars would produce a loud "clunk" while backing up. THAT was the problem.

Now..some posters have talked about noises, that happen while putting the car into gear, shifting etc. It's unlikely (although possible) that this is a *problem*. All transmissions make different noises. When pulling a car out of park while on an incline, for example can produce a clunk.

A couple of anti-honda people here just love feeding the fire about "ongoing" problems.

When people read of problems, it's natural to pay closer attention to their own car out of concern that they too may have some terrible problem.

Their local dealer can quickly determine what is normal and what is not.

Having said all of this, no car is perfect. It's entirely possible that troubles will pop up with ANY car.

And, YES, I do sell Hondas. I also have zero motivation to come here to tell lies or make light of real problems.

It must drive the Honda bashers nuts when happy owners come here with tales of their 200,000 mile trouble free Hondas.

Sorry to disappoint you guys but the sky is not falling!
  • silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    Do any of you own an Accord V-6? Just curious.

If you don't, then please don't be so critical of Honda's transmission or Isell. I think that first hand experience is much more important than he-said-she-said.

Isell actually contributes more to these discussions than most of you do.
    Like he said, although he sells them, he's got zero motivation to be here for the purposes of self interest. There are those here who fan the flames, I think, for no discernible reason.

-Dave, trouble-free '94 Accord, now at 109,000 miles.
  • dkrabdkrab Member Posts: 77
    He's right on the money with this one. I have read all the posts, and it's obvious that the original problem manifested itself as a definite clunk that occurred about 10 or 15 feet after the car started moving backwards. All the posts from owners of newer V6 Accords and Odysseys that say they hear a clunk indicate the noise occurs when the car is put into reverse but before it starts to move. This is not nearly as serious. It could be a bit of driveline play, which is perfectly normal. At worst it is the rear hydraulic motor mount not performing quite as it should. Seems some of the complaints indicate it occurs the first time the put the car in reverse, and not again until the engine is killed and restarted.

I have a 98 lx 5speed. Not perfect, but it's a great car. My sister has a 1999 Odyssey EX, which happens to fall into the models that had suspect trannys. She has not been back to the dealer for any warranty claim whatsoever. No clunk, and no problems with the power sliding doors, although they aren't as intuitive to operate as they could be.
  • markz2kmarkz2k Member Posts: 112
    I've got a 2000 EXV6 that I bought in June, 2000. I had been reading here on TownHall about the Accord (and a couple other models) to research what to buy. There were a few complaints about the clunk, but by then it had been solved. People who bought accords made after around February didn't have any complaints. I wasn't too worried. When I went to the Honda dealer, I mentioned the reports here, and said I would want an extended test-drive (by myself) before I purchased. He let me take out a demo that day for several hours. I backed up for hundreds of feet with no clunk. Put about 100 miles on it that day, no problems at all. I didn't buy that day because they didn't have the color I wanted, but one was due in about a week.

A week later, I took the car I would actually buy on another extended test-drive. No clunks/no problems. 13 months & 8000 miles later still no problems. (Except the moonroof rattle which I had fixed.)

So, try to always take an extended test-drive in the actual vehicle you're going to buy, and check it carefully for any problems, and have them fixed before you sign anything.
  • stevepakestevepake Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2001 Accord V6 that I purchased in Jan 2001. I have NO tranny problems whatsoever.

I'm also a moderator on SuperHonda.org's Accord V6 forum and none of our members have reported any tranny problems on the new models either.

I think isellhondas is right and that whatever problems were REAL were cleared up a LONG time ago and that anything happening now is just PARANOIA when people post about weird clunks that are NORMAL noises an auto tranny will make.

Trust me, if there were any REAL problems on the 2001 Accord V6 transmissions then I would have heard about them on the Accord V6 forum that I look after, but I have not.
    I guess that the continuing posts listed in Honda Accord Problems Part 2 regarding transmissions isn't from happy V-6 owners. I have personally read problems in 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001 Accord V-6's with automatic transmissions.

This topic was started in post #1 questioning the quality control of new Honda Accords. It seems that the generation 6 Accord doesn't have the same quality standards of previous generations.
    One of the quality problems that has been posted numerous times has been the transmission problem in Accord V-6's.

Let's face it, Honda's quality has slipped since 1998 as they are "cutting back" on their once rigid standards. They are building and selling a lot more cars and when this happens, something has to give quality assurance wise.
This discussion has been closed.