Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• longislander1longislander1 Member Posts: 112
    My benchmark for pricing has always been fitzmall.com for the best advertised online prices. Based on their offerings, your price is excellent if you're talking about a brand new '09. I own two '08s -- a Legacy 2.5i Limited and an Outback LLBean. I came from higher horsepower cars and drive a Porsche on weekends, so I have certain standards for performance. The Legacy is fine for daily driving and offers somewhat better mileage than the 3.0. Also, you need to check, but I believe the '09 3.0 needs premium gas, while the 2.5i uses regular.

I'm hooked on the Legacy as a daily driver. It's comfortable, handles well and has enough pep for expressway driving. However, if you don't care so much about rising gas prices and have a need to consistently carry three other people or a trunkload of stuff, you might consider the 3.0 instead. The 2.5i Legacy can be a little sluggish with a full load of people or stuff. What's odd is that I don't get the same feeling with our loaded Outback, even though it has the same engine.

As you've probably seen, the fit and finish of the Audi interior is better than the '09 Subaru's. If you need something better inside, you might consider waiting for the 2010 which, I believe, will be available starting in June. You won't get the same deals, but the interior has been upgraded and is closer to (although still does not match) Audi luxury. Also, the 2010 is expected to offer a higher output 3.0 with regular gas.

You will certainly save money with the Legacy over the Audi. I owned an A6, and while I loved the capuccino machine in the service waiting area, I paid through the nose for maintenance. By contrast, an oil change and a package of inspections at our Subaru dealer is $32.

Get your dealer to let you take the Limited for a reasonably long test drive on varying roads. That's what convinced me. Also be aware that, as you drive the Limited over a prolonged period, the car's computer will "learn" your driving style and perform shifts accordingly. I saw a noticeable positive difference in performance in the first few months. Either that, or I just got used to living with and enjoying the Legacy.

Good luck with your purchase.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We have a Forester 2.5X Limited auto and ours is actually fairly responsive, especially around town. If you haul heavy loads (or tow) or drive up hills at significant altitude you may want more power, but for our purposes it's been fine.
  • ben81ben81 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you both so much. This has been very helpful!
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    Wife and I test drove the 3.0 R. I was surprised by the power it had.

I was wondering if anyone has purchased the car in the philly area? If so, what price did you get( if you do not mind me asking)??

Thanks
  • red927red927 Member Posts: 118
    Back in November we leased a 3.0 Limited. The price of the car was $100 over invoice less $500 dealer incentive. There is a $1500 rebate available now so you should be able to do quite well. I got the car in NJ at Nitti Subaru in Hamilton Square. That particular car is not stocked by every dealer so the availability will be very limited. We had to factory order ours.
  • jcabrera4jcabrera4 Member Posts: 34
    I'm looking to buy a standard Legacy with auto trans for my daughter. She's a Nursing student and needs to travel between the hospital and the college starting in Sept.

I went to my local dealer and was quote 18988 but they would not give me the low financing. They said its either the 2.9 financing or the incentives.

Is this correct?

Also, according to Subaru.com the incentives end June 1st. Beings that the redesign is coming out in a few months; does anyone know if they are going to extend the low financing?

Thanks
    That's usually been the case for Subaru, i.e. the incentives either lower the interest rate or lower the price of the car, but not both.

And very likely yes, the incentives ought to be extended until the 2010s become abundant.
  • abchin486abchin486 Member Posts: 78
    It;s usually one or othe other, but on the website for the New England area, it says you can have both.
  • misterteemistertee Member Posts: 1
    From Don Miller Subaru in Madison WI, I just purchased a 09 Legacy Special Edition Automatic for:

19,000 (sale price)
    99 (service fee)
    1,051 (tax 5.5%)
    163 (DMV)

I also received the 2.9% financing. Good luck with your purchase.
  • picachupicachu Member Posts: 7
    I've been viewing this site for a while and have picked up some good information. Now that I have started my active search for a new car I actually have an offer I can post and hopefully can get some feed back on whether or not it's a good deal.

Specifics are as follows:

2009 Legacy 2.5 SE Auto (9AD) (Typical options only - floor mats, wheel locks, auto dimming mirror).

MSRP - $23,344 (approx.)
    Sale Price - $21,238
    Tax (6%) - $1,274.28
    Title/License - $213.95

OTD Price - $22,726.23

Now that I look at the sale price & tax amount they must be charging tax on the delivery fee. Any information would be much appreciated. I'm looking to purchase by the end of the month.

One other question - Has anyone used the "fax attack" technique in negotiating a purchase price?

Thanks again.
    Unless I'm missing something, it appears you could do much better. Dealerships are on the verge of introducing the 2010 Legacys so they should be eager to ditch the '09s. Here are some thoughts:

1. Go to the subaru.com site and see what special offers are available on the Legacy in your zip code. On my '08, they were doing $1,000 cash back and I negotiated down from there. In my zip code right now, there's $2,000 cash back on virtually all Outbacks, but they are only giving financing and lease deals on the Legacys.
    2. Edmunds.com says there's a 2% dealer holdback on Subarus (with differences in some Northeast locations), meaning that the manufacturer is paying your dealer about $467 in profit on your Legacy. Dealers rarely like to dip into the holdback to sell a car, but it may provide you with some ammunition when the sales person says they're not making much of a profit on the deal they've offered you.
    3. I've used fitzmall.com as the basis for negotiations with local dealers and they're currently advertising SEs for as low as $18,790 (with a few of them labeled "clearance"), excluding tax, title and license. No matter where you live, you could buy the car there (I believe they're in Maryland) have the car shipped to you for about $1,000 and save almost $1,500 from the deal you currently have. I'm not affiliated with fitzmall, but I did call them when I was looking and they sounded very professional and helpful in terms of doing the transaction and any issues with tax/title/license. By mentioning them to my local sales person, I was able to get more money off my car.
    4. If you're handy with cars and are really tight on the dollars, you can buy all of the Subaru accessories cheaper online and install most of them yourself. Alternatively, you can ask the dealer to throw in all of the accessories on your car for free to reduce the price.

Bottom line: I think you could do much better than the deal you're describing. Your sales person isn't trying very hard. You could almost get a Limited for what they're offering on the SE.

You can always try the fax attack, but in my experience, you're usually better off showing up at the dealer to negotiate. Sales people like to see a warm body with a checkbook in hand.

Good luck with your deal.
    longislander1

Thanks very much for the reply and information. I figured I could do better given the fact the 2010 models are due in a few weeks. The Legacy was actually the third car I test drove over the weekend ( others were Mazda 6 & Fusion) so I went into the dealership just looking to test drive and the salesman started talking numbers, etc.

I e-mailed several dealers this morning through Edmunds quote and have received the following offers:
    1. MSRP - $23,153
    Sale Price - $19,913
    Tax - $1,194.78 (6%)
    Doc - $120
    Gov't Fee - $88.95 (No idea what this fee is)
    ________

OTD cost - $21,316.73

2. MSRP - $23,306
    Internet Price - $ 20,300 not including TTL.

I read on cars101.com that Subaru is offering $1,500 customer instant rebate with 2.9% financing if qualified.

I have to sort through the other e-mails and see what happens. I will also mention the fitzmall.com price.

Thanks again for the information, much appreciated.
    What was the MSRP on your Legacy? 19K works out to $1,000 under invoice with the typical options. Just trying to get an idea of how far below invoice dealers are willing to go.

Any information would be much appreciated. I am planning to purchase by the end of the month.

Thanks
    09 Legacy SE - Auto. Dealer provided the following info:

$21,058 (Dealer Cost)
    +106 (Center armrest extension - Dealer Cost)
    +695 (Destination)
    ____

$21,859 (Total Dealer Cost)
    -446 (2% holdback)
    -1,500(Manufacturer stair/step program dealer incentive)
    _____

$19,913 selling price not including TTL. I'm just wondering if the dealer can go any lower or is this the absolute lowest price.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
    I know I've given out a lot of pricing advice. Now I need some. There's a new '09 Spec B with navigation at my dealer with an MSRP of about $35,400. What should I expect to pay for one of these? Some say they're getting scarce (especially among those critical of the 2010 design and the cancellation of the Spec B). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Invoice minus incentives would probably be a good price.

On one hand, it's an old model, so it should be discounted.

On the other hand, it's rare, and if you hesitate someone else will snap it up. I doubt a dealer will give up their holdback on that last of a special model.
  • mpansare1mpansare1 Member Posts: 29
    Completed my transaction today at Fitzgerald (fitzmall.com) for a new 09 Legacy Limited Edition, including GTP (Subaru's guaranteed trade-in) program.

20995.00 selling price (09 limited with autodimming mirror/compass/homelink, armrest extension, splash guards, and alarm shock sensor - satin white pearl and taupe leather, sticker MSRP shows 26,131. The car is new, 88 miles on odo.)
    LESS 12575 GTP program price for 06 Legacy SE wagon (could not get any better trade in price, old car was well maintained and had exactly 45,000 miles on it. Without GTP, dealer was offering substantially less).

516 Tax
    50 Title
    99 Dealer fee
    74 Tag transfer (estimate)
    4 MD recycling fee
    12.50 Titling fee

OTD 9175.50

This price was too hard to resist for a brand new Subie..;))) Figured I'd buy one since these are the last of the 09s at great closeout pricing....and I hate the look of the '10s....

Also got $500 in additional Subie reward dollars as part of the GTP price.

They still have an 09 deep bronze metallic Limited on the lot, with spoiler. Deal took approx 2 hours to complete. Very good salesman, very professional service. :)
    Congrats, that was a $25k car a while ago. Wow.
    That is extraordinary value for a great car. When I bought in Jan. '08, I got my PZEV Limited for $22,900, which was about 9.5% off MSRP. Fitzmall had a similar car for $22,400, or about 11.5% off. This latest deal is almost 20% off MSRP, and there are more options plus the Harmon Kardon.
    Thanks. The best internet price I found is $29,745 in North Carolina, if I remember right. My local dealer will probably expect more, although this is a car that could sit for some time waiting for the right person to come along. I'm wondering if they've upgraded the 2010 GT Limited so that performance is closer to the old Spec B. Maybe that's why the Spec is gone for the new model year. It might be better to hold out for a new GT.
    Thanks....could not have done better without the GTP program!! I was very happy with the 06 wagon, though Subaru options are too quaint....they seem to nickel and dime you for options which should be standard. Also figured it was getting close to 50K, so with required maintenance and all (transaxle, tranny, brakes, other normal maintenance) I would have spent $500-600 in the next year anyway...let Subaru recondition the old car for re-sale...

The '09 limited seems to have everything I wanted except bluetooth. The HK stereo is absolutely stunning; and the speakers aren't even broken in yet...I played one of my Telarc jazz CDs and heard stuff that was impossible to hear on the '06 cheapo speakers....

While on the lot, I test drove a '10 Legacy Premium. There is more space all around - mainly rear leg room which I figured has at least 4 inches more space. But I just do not like the looks, and there is too much silver on the stereo cluster. I hope they refresh it soon. The salesman told me yesterday was the first '10 Legacy they sold..so it does not seem to have 'warmed up' to customers for looks.... ;)
    I drove an '09 with the HK sound system back to back with my '08. You can really tell the difference. BTW, don't be too hard on Subaru's options policy, although I was disappointed to see that they want $995 for the moonroof in 2010. No one nickels and dimes like Porsche. When I bought my Boxster, they wanted $1500+ for a power seat package, $480 for automatic climate control, $900+ for a Bose stereo (still with only a single-CD player), $3,000 for nav, etc., etc. I declined on most items at those ridiculous prices and, as a result, my 2.5i Limited is much better equipped than the Boxster. (Leather seems to be better quality, too.)
    I still can't believe the spec.B is under $30 grand. Last time I looked that was a $33k car.

Porsche does kill you - my friend laughed at the $750 "footwell lighting" option he was offered.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    P-car options..

$340 for contrasting color seatbelts

$500 for painted side mirror supports (matte black, otherwise)

$8800 for ceramic brakes

It goes on and on and on..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hans goofed on the assembly line and used the wrong color seatbelts, and Porsche marketing decides to call it "contrasting color seatbelts" and charge $340 for their mistake. :D
    Agreed.... ;) and we know brakes get hot n' heavy, but $8K+ for ceramic brakes....sheesh....do they have gold or diamond crush in them.....
    You can nearly buy 2 Aveos under C4C for that money...
  • dominaldominal Member Posts: 6
    i use the vip program offer by my company and factory ordered a 3.6r premium with remote start, splash guards, auto dimming mirror w/ compass and all weather floor mats. expecting delivery in 6 to 8 weeks.

above car cost $25731 plus $25 electronic file fee
    sales tax $2202.15 :cry::cry:
    county tax $209.31
    plates, title, etc $144
    doc fee $151.65
    OTD $ 28453.11
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    What was MSRP incl shipping? For some reason I thought VIP required in stock purchase.Thanks.
    The sticker price of a standard 3.6 R premium with distination fee is $26690.

all added options on my order are priced in dealer invoice.
  • idmdidmd Member Posts: 23
    Just bought a 2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited with Nav/Moon and XM Sat radio for $30K including destination. Seemed like a good deal as I spoke to 4 other dealers in the area and none of them would even get close to this number with the options. Most were close to MSRP and quoted the fact that there aren't all that many 3.6R Limiteds in the NE at the moment.

This was actually one of the easiest, most low pressure and smooth car buying experiences I've ever had. No trying to sell me extras, no sudden unexplained fees during signing, and so the entire process was negotiated over the internet and took 35 mins including the test drive.

Very happy!
  • 78877887 Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone help with a price for a 2010 Leagacy se automatic.I'm in Illinois and just wondering what I should expect to pay.What is my # goal before taxes.Thanks
    Well, fitzmall.com, which tends to have the best published online prices, is showing an automatic, non-premium with an MSRP of $22,055 for a published price of $20,890. That may be a good number to throw at your dealer. I'm not currently in the market and don't know that much about pricing trends on the 2010 models. But if you look at past history, I bet Subaru will soon be offering cash back on the Legacys fairly soon. You could save another $1,000 if you wait another month or two. Also, dealers are coming off their "Cash for Clunker" highs and the dark days of fall and winter are approaching. You might find more flexibility if you can hang on a little longer.

Bill Kolb Jr.'s Subaru site also sometimes shows "internet pricing" on new Legacys, although I'm not seeing any just now.
    take a look at the website of the autobarn subaru of countryside, IL. i ordered mine there.

most of the legacy has discount now, here is one of their internet price.

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium CVT w/All-Weather Pkg/Power Moonroof/

MSRP $24,254 Discount -$1,882 Adjusted Price $22,372

hope this help.
    Thanks for the info.I might just wait and see if October brings the prices down some.
    I did see that price at the Autobarn.I just wonder if they neg on that price some more.Thanks for your help.
  • seabrook7039seabrook7039 Member Posts: 44
    Not to rain on anyone's parade but I've been told by more than one dealer not to expect any discounts on the new Outbacks and Legacies for at least a year since they were just redesigned. Unlike the '09 Legacy and Outback the '09 Forester did not get any incentives this summer as it was redesigned in 2009.
    No rebates, sure, I believe that.

No discounts? People already have been getting them.
    I bet you see $500-$1,000 cash back on the Legacy before the end of the year. They're already doing a lease deal and 3.9% financing, so the cash can't be far behind. As for anyone who's told they have to pay MSRP in this economic climate, my advice is to walk away.
    Dunno, the 2009 Forester has gone without any rebates since its launch, just subsidized financing. Residuals have been good, as have sales, so it's working.
  • rufus157rufus157 Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone getting below invoice for 2010 Legacy Limited, w/ remote starter, sat radio, and media center?

I was quoted $500 above invoice, from a dealer in North NJ (Essex County)

Thanks
  • starbirdstarbird Member Posts: 38
    Hello,
    I'm currently buying a 2007 legacy wagon 2.5i special edition (which means it has cloth seats but a moonroof) automatic with 39,000 miles on it for $13595 plus $379 processing title fee. Am I right in thinking this is a good price? The car was used as a loaner by a local garage and despite a couple of minor pin marks in the rear side arm rests, it looks it pretty good condition. Thoughts?
    The catch is loaners get used by several people. At least make sure they maintained it properly.

The price does sound good. 2-3 years old and about 35-40% cheaper than it was new.
    It could be a good deal. I looked at the NADA Guides and they have a "clean retail" price of $16,150 for the car. I'm not a big fan of loaners or ex-rental cars. I just don't think other people treat cars as well as their own. Is this a dealer? Can they give you some kind of a limited warranty? Will they let you take it to an independent shop for an inspection? Why are they letting it go for a lower-than-normal price?

Just for reference, I checked out CPO-ed 2007 Outbacks, but it looks like you'd have to pay in the high teens to $20K for one of those. I know Legacy wagons are harder to find because they're not being made anymore. Wish I could be more help.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    Honestly I've never ever seen a demo, loaner or rental that was discounted sufficiently enough to entice me to buy it .

It is in the end a used car that has been driven hard by multiple drivers and owned not with pride of ownership but with the intent of minimizing cost of short term ownership.

When I buy a used car I want to meet the owner, see where it was kept, and how well the owner cares for his property, be it a car or a house or a lawn. That's why I prefer to buy used cars from owners and not dealers. Good luck in your decision.
  • sanferminsanfermin Member Posts: 12
    In Colorado Springs:

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited Graphite Gray Metallic/Off Black Leather
    Base MSRP: $25,295
    Power Mnrf: $995
    Auto-Dim Mir: $271
    Media Hub: $349
    PZEV
    Destination $695
    Total Suggested Retail Price $27,605

Sales Price: $24480
    Dealer Handling: $389
    Taxes: $1840
    Total Amt Financed: $26709 @ 4.5% for 72 mos.

A couple extras:
    $300 Subaru Rewards - direct mail coupon
    $500 Subaru Rewards - GTP - didn't need to trade in
    $300 Lease disposition fee waived - on my WRX lease ending in a few months
    $425 Subaru loyalty first payment by Subaru
  • starbirdstarbird Member Posts: 38
    Thanks for the advice to the people who commented. It was owned by Land Rover Alexandria which is connected to a big Subaru dealer, and they had several of them to get rid of (dealers can write the car off against cost over three years so its good business to sell them at that point). Hence the price was reasonable (plus they bought 40 of them at one go, so they got a group discount. I'm sure they made a healthy profit on them).

I got it inspected yesterday and the vehicle had minor corrosion on the battery terminals and a missing rubber guard on the brake pedal. Apart from that it passed with flying colors so I picked it up.

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Paul
    That sounds like a pretty decent deal, certainly a better percentage discount than I got from my local dealer when I bought my Limited in Jan. '08. The finance rate seems good, too, about the same as my local credit union would charge. Good luck with the new car.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you are a parent and drive a new Legacy, please email pr@edmunds.com to be interviewed.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

A couple extras:
    $300 Subaru Rewards - direct mail coupon
    $500 Subaru Rewards - GTP - didn't need to trade in
    $300 Lease disposition fee waived - on my WRX lease ending in a few months
    $425 Subaru loyalty first payment by Subaru

Wow, sweet. That's more than a couple!