Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Welcome Toyota Tundra - V

Comments

• 606zpx606zpx Member Posts: 75
    What do you mean "twisting" the article--are you talking about Tundra owners or the people at Motor Trend. At the conclusion the article clearly states that the Toyota was the winner. Chevy running a close second. Ford third and Dodge a distant fourth.
    Have you read the article? It was very complimentary to all makes for their various attributes. Dodge with its ground clearance clearly had some advantages off-road. Chevy with its interior room and power. I believe that the writers seemed non-biased and gave each truck a fair shake.
    Please don't insult me like you have some others.
  • budlitedudebudlitedude Member Posts: 18
    I wouldn't know. I didn't read the article and never claimed I had. I merely stated that Tundra owners seem to sway the story to suit their purpose no matter what the magazine "story" states.

It was I think, Z71bill that actually read the article and he seemed to have gotten a much brighter picture of the Chevy rating than the Tundra owners. Of course, it always seems to turn out that way, doesn't it?
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I read it - they say "Toyota got its the interior and exterior styling from the F-150" also say "Tundra offers reasonable legroom, limited headroom, and its bolt upright rear seat reminds us of a park bench" Looks like a clear winner to me.

I do agree with you they said many good things about all the trucks and also pointed out the flaws. I thought the Tundra pushed to the top because they picked it for the truck of the year award. Not because of the actual testing they did.

One minor thing I noticed in the article. The Silverado was listed as EPA class - full size pickup, all the others were EPA class- standard pickup. Was this just poor proof reading on their part - what is the difference between full size and standard size pickup? Not that I trust our government agencies to get anything right, but why the difference?

I was also surprised that the Silverado beats the Tundra in acceleration (up to 70MPH anyway - ahead by 25 feet in the 1/4 mile), holds the skid pad better, and has a sharper turning radius - all the posts I have seen from Tundra owners claim the Toy is better in these areas.
    Automobile magazine today.

The magazine picked their all-stars.

The Silverado was picked 1st. Not much of an article, but I think they got it right.

They also posted the results of their reader survey. The readers picked:

1st F-150
    2nd Silverado
    3rd Tundra
    4th Ram

Bottom like is buy what makes you happy. They (auto mags) can't agree any more than we can on who makes "the best" 1/2 ton truck.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    The Chev had 4.10's the Toy 3.92(I'm going by memory) and the Ford 3.55's. Realizing that is the lowest gearing available but it does make a difference in the acceleration #'s. The Chevy also had the lowest price for its off road package but you HAD to buy the upgraded tires doubling the cost. Limited slip was available on all except you know who. Maybe M/T didn't equip the big three with LS because it would be a disadvantage to the Toy(They sure left those goofy running boards on the Ford though) The Toy had the lowest price but M/T didn't get leather on it. Just like it's been said countless times, these tests rarely compare exact vehicles.

There would be NO WAY M/T wouldn't declare the Toy the winner, how would that make them look on their truck of the year award?
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    For the hell of it I thought I'd check out toyopets site. For one thing they like to compare their top of the line to others base vehicles....oh thats fair, what are they hiding? Go to the comparisons and what comes up? Longbed trucks, Long beds from the big 3. Does toyopet have one? Again what are they hiding? Hmmm a longbed work truck vs the toyopet. Well at a glance you pay extra on the "cheap" toyopet for ABS. You would pay $255 less for a SWB Dodge with more capability. Lets compare the Chevy 6.0 vs the toyopet......or Fords 7.3 diesel, hows that for a comparison?
  • gportergporter Member Posts: 14
    I haven't read the new article, but for the big three owners that are getting bent out of shape over the issue that gave the Tundra-MOTOR TREND TRUCK OF THE YEAR, it rated four new models. The Tundra, F150SVT Lightning, Dakota quad cab and a new GMC model. For Motor Trend to push it to the top because of the award, doesn't seem likely, when they didn't rate the F150, Silverado & Ram for the award. These are all fine trucks, all of the people I know that bought new trucks this year are enjoying them as much as I'm enjoying my Tundra. I'm very impressed with the Silverado's gas mileage.
  • ferris47ferris47 Member Posts: 131
    Just curious, any Tundra owners here live in the Nashville, TN area? I have seen about 8 Tundras lately and was wondering if anybody on the forums lived in the area. Nice group of people. I have yet to pass by another Tundra, from here to Maryland without having the other driver wave. It is kind of cool. I actually get as much attention as when I first got my Dakota R/T.
    A Tundra is the minority, somewhat of an outcast among the full size trucks. Why "wouldn't" another Tundra owner be anxious to "make a friend".

Your Dakota R/T got looks because it is a badass little hauler.....worth twice what a Tundra is worth.
  • trucksrmetrucksrme Member Posts: 381
    Now there be a "1/2 ton personal use truck category"! Heard them toys be rulin in this category for sure. Folks round these parts use them big3 trucks for workin and such. Good luck with them "personal use" trucks now, try not to work em to hard. Good luck on this one now!
    I think we said the same thing. I actually like the Tundra, it just wouldn't work for me. I felt the "best" truck for the camparo would of had limited slip(being that it was an off road comparo) The leather should of been added to the Toy or deleted on the others for the price to be fair. I'll admit I'm a sore loser on the ratio issue, Ford should offer a steeper gear and the others shouldn't be penalized because of it. Then again M/T tried to keep it even by not using L/S on the big three because Toy didn't offer it.

I personally would have a terrible gear whine on my Ford so they would have to replace that "noisy" rear end. Of course I'd have to foot the bill for the front, about $600 for some 4.56's!!
    Side by side my Tundra is faster then my Dakota ever was. The only place my R/T was quicker was immediately off the line, thick tires and gobs O torque, by the time the Dakota bed is off the drivers side window of the Tundra it is all over. Especially when you get to the higher speeds R/Ts ran out of breath around 80 the Tundra just keeps on pulling. The other thing the Tundra excels at is, it seems the warmer it gets the better it drives. The Dakota was a dog in warm weather. Very very poor air box and air system.

Hey I don't trash anybody's else's ride, as I know enough about them all to have both respect and likes and dislikes of all the makes. I would appreciate the same respect back, anybody who knows a little bit about cars and trucks should have some respect for the Tundra, let's face it, the truck has made waves in an industry that is usually unshakeable. If it doesn't fit your needs great, if it does, give it a try it is a quite capable truck.
    To everybody who goes offroading, are you guys not afraid of screwing up your brand new 25-35K truck. Whether, Toyota, Chevy, Ford whatever. I am not saying baby the truck and yes, I will haul stuff in the bed and all but it just scares the hell out of me to think about how much damage to the paint etc. that you could do, truely offroading. I would think you would be better off getting an old Jeep Wrangler or something.

I am of course not an off roader so I have really no idea what I am talking about. With the exception of a little Off roading I have done years ago in a Jeep.

Just curious, as I really like to take care of my cars and trucks.
    I take mine through all sorts of crap when I go hunting. Swamp, thorn bushes, tall untamed grasslands that scrape the sides, deeply rutted side roads, you name it.

It is a truck and that is what you pay the big bucks for....purpose and utility, not shiny paint coats and pretty wheels.

Thats why when I pay 25-30k for a truck, I buy one that can take the abuse and keep on going, which is why I chose the Silverado.
  • macduffmacduff Member Posts: 15
    Now those of us who own Tundras are gay? BLD, is there no end to your ignorance?

By the way, I applaud your efforts to not actually read any articles comparing the Tundra to other full-size pickups. I's sure you'd hate to have any of your precious convictions shaken.
    We work them trucks on that farm hard. Does this be countin as the off road? If so, then we be "off roadin" them ones for sure. On the farm them littler ones get used up quick, thats why we be stickin too them big3 ones now. Good luck on this one now!
    Working farm trucks were not really what I was talking about, because I would hope that you didn't pay 30K for a loaded Silverado LT with leather, electro chromatic mirror, CD, Tape etc. for working on the farm. I would think that you would have gotten a basic 5.3 1500 work truck or possibly a 6.0 2500. I would also think that you could have gotten that 1500 in the 20-22K range. Not pocket change for sure, but much more spartan and designed to handle the riggers of farm work. I would hate to see my nice leather seats and carpet covered in cow pies ya know.

BTW: I have now seen Tundra state work trucks in Maryland, Baltimore County, TN, Davidson County and Virginia, Don't really know where the hell I was. All were single work trucks with extended cabs. Probably 2wd, couldn't tell. It would seem that these states or countys are possibly testing the Tundra to see if the perceived reliability holds up. I can't believe states are considering forgein vehicles for work trucks. I hope Toyota doesn't start offering big fleet discounts, I kinda like having one of the few Tundra's around.
  • budlitedude3budlitedude3 Member Posts: 14
    Farmers get to write off their trucks for tax purposes. They don't care what it costs. If they are using them for their job extensively, why not get the most comfortable interior with leather. Leather is easier to take care of than cloth. Just spill coffee on cloth and you will surely see my point.

What I would say is a wasteful expense for a Farm truck is anything for "looks" like fancy wheels or special exterior doo dads.
  • pchengpcheng Member Posts: 162
    Just because you can 'write' something off your taxes, doesn't mean it's free. You still have to pay for it. Ultimately, by 'writing' something off, over the year, you may save 20% of the purchase.
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    Also, you can't even deduct the full cost in one year. It's usually 6.
  • lmurflmurf Member Posts: 13
    I have never bothered posted after reading some of the things you say, but you are way out of line. I've owned 5 Silverados, and liked all of them, except for a few minor and common problems with a 99. I own a Tundra now and it is just as good or better than a Silverado. It is all about personal preference and opinion. I hope you are only messing with people and aren't serious when you go off like you do. You should be ashamed of some of your posts. Stick with bothering Tim and Ryan. LMURF
  • revmanmnrevmanmn Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a Tundra 2WD Regular cab. Toyota says they make them- dealers can't seem to find them. Customer Assistance @ Toyota wasn't helpful.
  • 27jr27jr Member Posts: 22
    Where do you live?
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I have one! Its mostly luck! You should be able to trade with another dealer.
    They call them ones that workin man's truck. Them other workin mans truck be them full size crew cab ones. Figures now they make little of one, and none of the other. Good luck on this one now!
  • tundrasaursrextundrasaursrex Member Posts: 49
    you seem to be a one-trick-pony...don't you have anything else to offer ('cept no-haul, mid-size, over-priced, tacoma-pumkined ?)....just be nice to read something different...oh yeah, "good luck on this one now"
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    If the pattern Toyota follows comes true, in 5 more years the Tundra will be full size. Think about it, 1st came the Toyota truck (now called Tacoma), 1/2 size, then the T100, 3/4 size and finally the Tundra, 7/8 size. So in about 5 more years Toyota will produce their first full size truck. Then, a new term will emerge " The BIG 4".
  • penny07penny07 Member Posts: 2
    In Feb. I bought a new Tundra 4x4 V8. At around 2500 miles my oil preasure gauge started to move around a lot depending on the rpms. It goes up as high as the high slash mark and as low as the low mark. Other trucks that I've checked on (Ford and GMC) only move slightly about the wideth of the needle. The service dept. just said that it was normal for the Tundra. I don't know anyone else that ownes one to look and see if this is true. Is this true on the Tundra?
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Go to www.tundrasolutions.com for all your Tundra info needs. I think you'll learn alot without having to wade through all the BS this site has on it.
    It sound like you have a bad oil pressure sending unit.

This unit determines the oil pressure and sends the reading to your oil gauge. I had the same problem with my 1981 Pontiac T/A.

Sorry to say the Tundra oil pressure gauge at idle is almost 0. This would bother me, although I know it is normal and within specification. What you describe is not normal.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    My Tundra V8 indicates oil pressure at the next to the bottom hashmark on the gauge when at idle and warm. It shows oil pressure at the next to the top hashmark when cold and/or RPMs >2500. This is normal. Check your owners manual. Also, I'm running 5W30 oil.
  • jq3jq3 Member Posts: 52
    I looked at the sales numbers on KKB. The person who THOUGHT they were making a point, on confirmed my point. It's only a first year truck and it already is in the top 50 in sales! Of course, no one thought they would surpass the Ford or Chevy, but the numbers are good to say the least. Heck, I really don't think they'll ever outsell the Big 3, I hope not any way, those trucks 'come a dime a dozen'! I hate it when everyone looks like me!!

The owners of the Big 3 should be applauding the Tundra. Competition is good for product design. It makes the competing product a better build. So see guys you will get something out of all the Tundra fuss...a better truck!!

And all this fuss about farming...I DO NOT FARM!! And could care less if it works great on a farm or not an a farm! Besides, isn't farming a dying industry? Most people can't make a living anymore working a farm, sad I agree, but technology is changing everything. And now it has touched the truck sector of the auto market...introduction of the TUNDRA.

Men,the rules have changed...follow or rust on the side of the road.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    many people who have owned Fords get very concerned about oil pressure gauges because they have never had one. Ford uses something that looks like a gauge but it is a simple on/off switch. If you have oil pressure that is normal for the RPMs, it reads a little over half way up. If you have no pressure, it drops to zero. It is a glorified idiot light.

Anybody who thought they had a real reading on a Ford will be concerned that the Tundra pressure gauge drops at idle. It is supposed to drop. As long as it does not drop off the scale, you are fine.

I don't know what Chevy has but I am positive about the Ford.
    Some folk just be gobblin up that factory propaganda now. Yuppies just dont have the knowin to be learnin anything for themselves, they be believin what ever they be a hearin for sure.
    Them tundras aint in there first year now. They just be this years "t100". Changin that style of a truck and its brandin name dont make it "brand new". Them Chevrolets changed there brandin and style in 1999 from C/K to Silverado, that dont make em a "first year" truck either, just that first year for a restyled truck. Them tundras just be a restyled t100 now. Fact is the fact on this. So bein in the top 50 in sales after bein out for many a year aint nothin for them tundras to be braggin on. Good luck on this one now!
    So the Tundra is just a new body style T100 eh? Well, lets see, we have a larger cab, new front suspension, new frame and new engine. Gee, that is quite an update to the T100. You best stick with farming. I hope you know more about soil and seed than you do about trucks.
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    "For all you folks who are complaining about
    the Tundras performance here are a few facts..

1. Motor Trend Truck of the Year
    2. Faster than a Mustang GT.
    3. Rated #1 in Customer Satisfaction for Trucks

not to mention... much more attractive than the
    big-3 trucks.. man have you seen the new chevys?
    yuk. Quieter, smoother, has more STANDARD
    options than any full size. better warranty.
    more more more..

I test drove every model from mid size to full
    size, dodge, ford, chevy, nissan over the past
    month.. the Tundra wins hands down.
    I use mine to tow a 5100 CASE bobcat w/trailer
    and it performs like a dream.
    ...I DONT THINK I GOT SUCH A GREAT DEAL AS SOME OF
    YOU GUYS THOUGH...PAID $25,200 for 2000 SR5 Access
    C Hall
    Louisville, Ky
    Cab with Liner, BenchSeats, Alarm, V8, cd/cass."

A few more facts.
    1. The motortrend anything of the year is always whatever is newest. Last year it was Silverado. It was the F150 when that came out.
    2. Who cares what it can outrace. Trucks are not race cars. They are work vehicles. Only an idiot pays for a pickup when he wants a race car.
    3. Rated by whom?

It has more standard options and it is consequently more expensive. And how much does your boat with trailer weigh? The Tundra's max towing capacity tops out before 8000 lbs doesn't it? The Big 3's just keep going up and up with your choice of packages and options. Maybe what you meant to say was it's best for your towing needs but not best outright.
    Ya said tundra is "all new" cuz of:
    1)larger cab
    2)new front suspension
    3)new frame
    4)new engine
    This exact thing can be said of that Silverado, or just bout any fresh design of an existin truck now. Facts is the facts, them tundras be just the "new" t100 for this year.

Here what that Truckin magazine had to say on them tundras now:
    This years T100...

Good luck on this one now!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    is there any truth to what some are saying in that Tundra sales have fallen off since its introduction? Just wondering from your point of view...
    Actually, they have taken off in the past two months here. When they first came out, people were leery of them. Now, they aren't. Ihave a hard time keeping the 4x4 V8 Access cabs in stock. I do have a couple of 4x4 V8 standard cabs and 4x4 V6 manuals that wont move but the SR5 and Limiteds are doing quite well.

To give you an example, when they first came out, we sold them at $2500 over invoice. There were enough people who had to have them and supply was limited enough to do that. then, it began to drop. At its low point, I was at $500 over invoice. Now, on the 4x4 V8 Access cabs, I am at $854 over invoice and that may go up soon unless I get a bunch in quickly.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    n/m
    How much larger is the Tundra than the T-100? I have seen posts that claim the bed size is so close that you can use the same size topper. That the T-100 has more cab space (in the front anyway) than the Tundra. I would like to see some information from someone who traded in a T-100 on a Tundra so it is based on fact rather than a post from a Big 3 owner. Is the Tundra really a big step up from the T-100 or is it just a T-100 with a V8 engine?
    Bozos and facts. Please don't post idiotic facts like a Tundra is "Faster than a Mustang GT"

Fact: Mustang GT, 0-60 5.4 seconds
    1/4 mile 14.0 seconds @ 100 mph.
    Top speed aprox. 150 mph.

Fact: Tundra, 0-60 8.0 seconds
    1/4 mile 16.2 seconds @ 85.7 mph
    Top speed aprox 100 mph.

While I agree on who cares how fast a truck is please check your facts before posting asinine remarks.
    Them tundras just be this years t100 now. Lets not forget that them t100 ones was "full size" acordin too that factory too! The more things be changin the more they be stayin the same, eh cliffy? Good luck on this one now!
    How bout you check your own facts before taking an oppurtunity to show off the fact that you've been studyin up on vocab and memorized the meaning of the word asinine. Because if you did you would have realized that wasn't my statement. I was responding to someone else's statement about the Mustang vs. the Tundra. I know the stats on both vehicles. I know the current GT will do the 0-60 thing in under six, but the Tundra I'm pretty sure should do it in about 7.6 or thereabouts. 8.0 is a little slower than most magazine's numbers and when I watched that needle jump it certainly didn't feel like 8 whole seconds. Byt the way have you actually driven a Tundra? Just curious.
    IT's not quick enough to stay with the newest mustang but some of the previous model's 200-215 hp GT versions probably would have only beat the Tundra by a hare in a drag race. But once again I digress, this is a truck not a muscle car or sports car. It tries to be both but does not measure up well as either.
  • egbakeregbaker Member Posts: 13
    This consolidation has been needed for a long time. However its a shame that you have to spend your time cleaning up this board.
    I think I can see the reason for all the added topics.
    I suspect that the posters that are really interested in talking about Tundras have been frustrated, and thus tried adding different topics, by the infiltration of the likes of "Truks is us", Tank a sore us", "Rube blew too much gas" taking over any topic they choose to push their own brand of Big 3 twisted logic.
    I also suspect that your policing of this board will have to continue as long as there are individuals like that out there.
    This is a very useful board, keep up the good work.
    You're correct in that I didn't understand your post. Even after reading it again I thought those were your comments. I apologize.

The figures I quoted on the performance #'s were from the May 2000 MOTOR TREND.

Believe it or not I like the Tundra but it won't fit my needs pulling my boat, family and gear to Lake Mead.
    Easy mistake to make... I could have made the quotation stand out more... and for the guy complaining because Tundra owners don't have a forum to discuss their trucks without the Big 3 owners butting in, stop bad mouthing the domestics and acting like Toyota makes god's own truck and maybe we won't feel the need to defend our purchasing decisions and you won't trigger fierce brand loyalty debates. Toyota makes a great pickup that slots between the Dakota and the true full size trucks in exterior dimensions, felt no bigger to me on the inside than my Ranger, And makes an excellent commute truck with about 9/10ths the capabilities of the domestics with larger engines and higher capacities. It is NOT the best pickup on the market. The most carlike? Yes. The most comfy? Possibly though some would debate that. The quickest? without a doubt. But it simply can't offer the available capacity of other half tons. You have a nice truck, I got a nice truck, either leave it at that or get ready to defend yourself.
    The racin of them trucks be makin no sense, but if ya was to run em, them tundras not be the fastest ones. Them tundras be faster than a base V8 Ford or Chevrolet, with the highway gear, and that be that. Run one of them tundras up on a Ford or Chevrolet with that optioned V8 and tow gear, and look out, that tundra be eatin dust, but quick. Fact be the fact on this one. Good luck on this one now!
    You could be right, I think the Tundra I drove had the towing gears. I'm not sure about the F150 extended cab. I know it was a 5.4 but felt a little slower than the Tundra. Could be it was with the highway gears. Inteeresting, I have heard of numbers as low a 7.6 sec for the F150 from 0-60 with the right setup. But as I've said before these numbers aren't crucial to me, all I care about is feeling a good strong shove in the back when I gass it and knowing I can merge, pass, and speed up for those emergency lane changes without begging other drivers for any favors. I could care less if it could hit 60 in over 10 and get it's [non-permissible content removed] whipped by the Tundra, If I want to race your Tundra I'll show up in a Z28 and Tundra owners can follow the tracks of rubber I lay down to track me down once the tiresmoke clears. If I want to outhaul or out tow you I'll show up in any of the domestics. The Tundra is trying to be a sports car, a Luxury car, and a truck all at once and it doesn't do any of the 3 as well as other vehicles in those categories. but Tundra owners call it the best on the market because it is more luxurious or faster than other trucks, though those aren't supposed to be the primary ingredients of a good pickup.
    The last issue of Motor tend ran the Tundra vs Silverado, F-150 and Ram. Silverado beat the tundra by 25 feet in the 1/4 mile. But the Tundra does get to 80 faster. The Silverado had 4.10 rear end. AS far as a Tundra with tow VS high way gears - Toyota only offers one set of rear end gears on the Tundra. I think they are 3.92 's out of the Tacoma.
This discussion has been closed.