Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Welcome Toyota Tundra - V

Comments

• trucksrmetrucksrme Member Posts: 381
    ok. Good luck on this one now!
  • ronnybkoolronnybkool Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info about the spacers Arkie6. I have another question. Can I upgrade to bigger wheels? And, if I can, what would you recommmend. I have had pickups from Ford to Chevy most of my life. Never really did any upgrades on these trucks, just drove around stock. But this new Tundra I bought, I love it and want to make minor upgrades, like the spacers, and some bigger wheels. I do mostly highway driving, and very little offroad. Thanks for the info..

Ronny
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I had a chance to check out the mileage on my Tundra while towing last week. I filled up just before a trip with my 4200 pound boat. Half the trip was on the highway at 70 MPH (2800 RPM on average) and half was on winding and hilly back roads. I got just over 10 MPG.

This is a bit less than I used to get on my T100 but I was towing a much smaller boat then.
  • macduffmacduff Member Posts: 15
    Why did my post get deleted? I had mentioned that I loaded my Tundra with about 2,000 lbs of dry concrete mix and 4 X 4 posts, and had absolutely no trouble. The engine didn't even strain. The back rode a bit low, but the suspension handled it just fine, and the brakes were great.

That's the fact, for those of you detracting the Tundra's hauling ability.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    I don't have any info to add on bigger tires for the Tundra. I've got the factory 16" alloy wheels with P265/70 Dunlop tires. I'll probably go with 265/75 Michelin LTXs when these wear out. If you want others experiences with tire and wheel upgrades to the Tundra, go to www.tundrasolutions.com and checkout the message board. There is plenty of info there.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    Shorter driveshafts, like on the Tundra = less vibration. The Tundra uses a center carrier bearing on the driveshaft. This is the same set-up that my 1984 Toyota Supra uses and it has two pretty short driveshafts (200,000 miles with the original U-joints and carrier bearing). You will also notice that the Tundra has the slip yoke at the rear differential vs. at the transmission or transfer case on Chevy. Don't know which is better, just different. Although with my experience, the Chevy transmission/transfer case output shaft seal will start to leak at about 100,000 miles. You may also notice that the Tundra uses a smaller diameter STEEL driveshaft, while the Chevy uses a larger diameter Aluminum driveshaft.
    Haul facts:

Chevrolet 1/2 ton - 9600 LBS
    tundra 1/2 ton - 7200 LBS

Aint suprized any that them tundras be usin that same setup as that supra now. Based on them haul ratins, guessin them tundra mini-truck drivetrain parts not up to doin that "full size" haul. Good luck on this one now!
  • rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    Hey trucksrme, if it makes you feel better, I looked at some Silverados tonight while getting the belt replaced on my parents truck. There was a nice looking red Silverado in the showroom, but I thought the price was a bit high for a 3rd door model (over $27,000). You'd think they would be slashing the prices to clear the 3 door ones out.
    Ya can get ya that Silverado or any other of them big3 ones a whole lot less than them tundras now. Fact be the fact on this one. Besides them big3 ones costin less, they also be "full size". Get them big3 ones for workin em, get that tundra if reachin for that fad. Good luck on this one now!
  • market525market525 Member Posts: 27
    Why does everyone even continue to acknowledge posts from trucksrme? Why not just ignore his posts and hope he goes far, far away from this site.
    Folks just be seekin the truth on these ones now. Them that seek that truth be wantin too hear on it, even if it not be what they be wantin too hear. The yuppie be wantin the back slapin, not the truth. Can figure this be what ya be lookin for, wont be gettin that here now. Good luck on this one now!
  • market525market525 Member Posts: 27
    No "good luck on this one now" needed, truckrme. Your argument against Toyota is simply YOUR matter of opinion. I bought the Tundra because it is right for me and my personal situation. Yes, I looked at and drove your precious "big 3", but they simply weren't right for ME.

Grow up, man. Just because someone drives a certain model/type of truck does not make them a "yuppie", as you so often like to point out.

The Toyota was more money, but in my mind after months of comparisons, the slight bit more money involved was worth it for value and dependability.
    Could not say that for GM, which was my second choice.

So, no "good luck on this one, now", just simply my opinion. Your on and on harassment of people is simply annoying.
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    Youre talking about dependability of a "full size" that hasnt been out for even a year yet????
  • tmwilkinson1tmwilkinson1 Member Posts: 13
    Compare a Shivy Shakerado to a Tundra? I don't think so. The Tundra is so far above the Shakerado that it does not even bear comparison. You might as well compare a Yugo to a Mercedes. You need more than good luck on this one now, you need a miracle on this one now.
    That 2400 LBS greater haul aint the matter of opinion now, it be the fact. That optional V8, 5sp with V8, optional rearend gears, aint that opinion, it be the fact. That "full size" as compared to that "mid size" aint the opinion it be the fact. The facts be the facts on this one now. Aint heard yet of one tundra that be workin! Them facts be goin on and on now. No back slapin for ya, sorry. Good luck on this one now!
    Was ya referin too this one now?

2000 Toyota Tundra vibration/shake (Topic #1367)

Good luck on this one now!
  • geezer3geezer3 Member Posts: 30
    No way... This is more fun than reading the 'comic strips'...
    Got this tell off that tundra solutions site folks here been bragin on:

Vibrations - attributed to early production tire and wheel combinations, and still an issue; transmission - harsh shifting; paint quality/durability; poor visibility from factory adjusted low beams; "thunk" noise from driveline; center console vibration; excessive door panel wear; door latching mechanism - adjustment issues; dash rattles - stereo with the 6 disc changer; factory horns less than adequate; noisy brake pedal; rear seating position.

Guessin I be missin somethin on that superior dependability now. Folks be payin extra to get these features? Hate too think what them ones be like if folks start workin em. Good luck on this one now!
    Got this tell off that tundra solutions site folks
    here been bragin on: (this one aint funny now)

Just got news from my buddy today that the brakes failed on his 2000 TUNDRA while driving!Needed to use the emergency brake to stop the truck.He took it to the dealer and they state the problem as being a "BUBBLE" in the brake line.Anybody else experience anything like this?Got to admit,it is pretty scary to have the brakes go out on you when you're driving.

Now I got too be a worryin on gettin the slam from one of them ones. Folks best not be followin them big3 ones too close now, or ya may end up under one quick! Good luck on this one now!
  • anthonyw2anthonyw2 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen this elusive combination? Toyota
    for some reason isn't selling Reg cabs at all in
    Indiana. Have found a hand full in Kentucky and
    Ohio, but all are V6's. I wonder If this combo( Reg cab 2wd SR5 ) is available at
    all anywhere, or if it will be available in 2001.
    According to Edmunds the Combo is available.
    I have found some 4x4's but don't need the extra
    drive train and cost.
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    hopefully you all read my post about how i feel
    about Toyotas before Meredith scrubbed it. (had
    included a p.s. for one of your favorite
    antagonizers which, is probably why she did it).
    anyway i come here from time to time to see what
    i'm missing since i bought the chevy. had toyota
    made a tundra longbed, i would have gotten it
    instead. had a '99 Tacoma and loved it. i have a
    great deal of respect for toyotas. mine never
    gave me a lick of trouble.

read earlier post about ignoring you no whooo!
    that's good advice. i mean really, GOOD LUCK ON
    THIS ONE , GOOD LUCK ON THIS ONE NOW. what a
    pathetic phrase. the only reason i can obviously
    see that this guy comes in here to taunt everyone
    is because his Silverado (or whatever he drives)
    is always in the shop and this person is extremly
    bored. when he starts posting, we should go do
    something else for awhile like wash or service
    our trucks that are'nt broken or vibrating and
    maybe he'll get bored and go bother toys-r- us.
    GOOD LUCK ON THIS ONE NOW!!!

...RED
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    almost every chevy and gmc dealer knows about the air leaking quarter windows. Make sure to check both of them cause both of mine leaked. They changed it once and replaced with another set of defective latches...went in again yesterday for another set of quarter windows...we will see if these are defective too...third set.
    why are you posting your Chevy problems in a Tundra topic????????
  • 27jr27jr Member Posts: 22
    To give TRUCKSME SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT. SINCE ALL
    HE KNOWS TO DO IS BASH TUNDRA MAYBE IF SOMEONE
    GAVE HIM SOME PROBLEMS AND HE REALY DOES KNOW
    SOMETHING ABOUT THE SILVERADO AND NOT A BULLSH_TER
    HE COULD HELP THEM OUT. MANAGE HIS TIME WISER
    AND PUT IT TO GOOD USE.
    you're wasting your time, all you no whooo knows
    is "GOOD LUCK ON THIS ONE NOW". a HEE a HEE he.

red
    What be them klms ya be mentionin in ya post now?
    As in that "5000 klms" ya be postin on? Got the sound of a forien one too me, not a Chevrolet now. Is that what them tundra ones be measurin on? This one be the mystery too me. Sorry couldnt be helpin ya on this one now. Good luck on this one now!
    you fell off your tricycle and hit your head alot
    didn't you?

GOOD LUCK ON THIS ONE NOW.

...RED
    Didnt have no tricycle on that farm now, had that old massey-fuggerson tractor, still got it now, and it be runnin like there aint no tommorrow for sure. Them ones cant be worn out no how. Never took no fall off that tractor. Good luck on this one now!
    Truck Bed Dimensions
    tundra Chevrolet
    Bedlength (in.) 76.5 97.6
    Bedwidth Wall (in.) 61.2 64.9
    Bedwidth Wheel (in.) 49.3 50.0
    Bed Height (in.) 16.7 19.5

Got these ones off that toyota website. Them that be workin them trucks need a "full size" bed for sure. Good luck on this one now!
    Truck Exterior Dimensions
    tundra Chevrolet
    Wheelbase (in.) 128.3 157.5
    Length (in.) 217.5 246.5
    Width (in.) 79.3 78.5
    Height (in.) 71.7 73.7

Got these ones off that toyota website. Them that
    be workin them trucks need a "full size" one for
    sure. Good luck on this one now!
    I have a fair amount of information to say here.
    First of all, how come when I was reading in the Chevy Silverado topics I didn't see trucksrme post in any of them?

Second, the above posting on bed dimensions, the Tundra's length is a short bed, and the Silverado's is a long bed, looks like trucksrme is trying to make the difference as far apart as he could make it so it would make the Tundra look worse.

Third:

"Vibrations - attributed to early production tire and wheel combinations, and still an issue; transmission - harsh shifting; paint quality/durability; poor visibility from factory adjusted low beams; "thunk" noise from driveline; center console vibration; excessive door panel wear; door latching mechanism - adjustment issues; dash rattles - stereo with the 6 disc changer; factory horns less than adequate; noisy brake pedal; rear seating position."

This is a topic at tundrasolutions about a Tundra owner that was chosen by Toyota and Toyota engineers are gonna drive his truck to see how the new Tundras are holding up. This was a list of everything that he could think of that has been commented on at tundrasolutions. He is gonna share it with the engineers. I think trucksrme thought this was problems on one Tundra. Check out: "Owners of Flawless Tundras" at Tundrasolutions for some good information.

This is to trucksrme, and more importantly, to people wondering about how Tundra's handle being worked.

"I run a farm in Western Oregon. As part of my farm is in timber I require my trucks to haul logs out, up rather steep inclines, in all kinds of weather conditions. The Tundra that I bought in January (SR5, 4x4) has become the work truck of choice. It has never even come close to bogging down or slipping out of the mud for that matter. I've owned a Ford and a Chevy and a few toys but I have never owned a truck like this. Screw the Silverado, buy the Tundra!"

"I had an interesting conversation this last weekend that might be helpful here. I saw a contractor friend of mine yesterday, and he got to see my new truck for the first time. He bought a Silverado 1500 S/B reg cab just before the Tundras came out. When buying his truck, he researched endlessly, so he thought he was getting the best to come for quite some time. He didn't know much about the Toyota. He thought it was just a quick upgrade to the T100. His first comment was, "It sure looks slick, but it isn't a REAL work truck." and proceded to start grilling me on specs. To make a long story less long, by the end of the conversation, he looked mighty sad. The most telling thing for me was having both trucks sitting literally side by side while we were comparing specs and seeing the fit-n-finish of the body, interior, engine, etc. Other than the shallower bed, lack of configurations and smaller dimensions (which I actually see as a plus), the Tundra shamed the Chevy."

"Oh, and one more thing. I smoked him when we were pulling away from my driveway, too!"

"I had a 97 1500 short bed, reg cab. It had a 5.7 litre, towing package which included a 3.73 rear end. My boat is fourwinns 258 vista, loaded with fuel,water, etc with trailer i way in at about 7900 lbs. Thats alot of weight! The chevy had more "GRUNT" out of the hole, but that is it. The tundra is so much smoother in ride and engine. That 5.7 sounded like a blender with ice in it at red line. Now the price i paid for towing that much weight was 2 rear ends, 1 transmission. I will see how the toyo holds up."

"On several occassions I've loaded a 1-ton pallet of field stone in the back of my SR5 4x4 and hauled it about 20 miles. I know that exceeds the listed payload and wouldn't recommend doing it every day, but my Tundra handled the job without a problem. It's done just as well with sand and gravel. Even when the springs are down to the stops it has plenty of power. So far (about 10K) it's a great truck."

GOOD LUCK ON THIS ONE NOW!!!!!!
    How do you like your Silverado? You seem to be one of the few people that own a big 3 pickup and don't hate Toyota. That's cool. I don't mind any of the trucks, but I do have preferences. Do you have a 4 door model?
    In my state, there is a Toyota distributor. I think they are the only one in the country. They also own ALL the dealerships except for two in the whole state. Needless to say...not much discounting and the other two dealers are not on the same island...no, I don't live in Indiana...
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Your hilarious. Your so harmless there's not even a point in responding to your comedy.

Who WRITES like that? lol.
  • slp77slp77 Member Posts: 12
    thanks for the info on your comparison.

if you've had a chance to tow your boat i was
    wondering if you could provide some
    additional info on your experience.
    7900 lbs is really working that truck.

how does it handle?
    how far do you normally tow? flatlands or hills?
    whats your mpg?
    and most importantly, how easily does it pull
    your boat out of the water? do you need to use
    4wd?
    -thanks slp77
    i have the 4dr. and i've been fortunate to not
    have some of the problems that have blackeyed the
    new Chevys.
    look at post #327 again. it clearly lists the
    Tundra as being the larger of the two trucks.
    notice how i spelled 2. this is to confuse 'u
    know whooo! judging by the way he writes i don't
    think his parents ever let him off that tracter
    to go to school. he clearly has to look up info
    on the TWO trucks in order to post. therefore
    this proves that he does not own either, but
    wishes he had one but plowboys are devoted to
    their tractors and dealers won't take them in as
    trades so he's stuck with it.

anyway why come here and knock the Tundra? it is
    a good truck, and i always say "buy what works
    for you". as i said before i had the '99 Tacoma
    and we worked the stink out of it without a lick
    of trouble. who could ask for anything more.

...RED
    impaired have the right to be here. that is why
    you know whooo, is allowed to post.
    Ya said this on that compare of that tundra to that Chevrolet:

"Other than the shallower bed, lack of configurations and smaller dimensions..."

So what ya really be sayin is them tundras be better cuz they got more shine too em. Folks who work them trucks be getin em for that size and configurations, not that shine now. Good luck on this one now!
    This tells it all on ya now:

"as i said before i had the '99 Tacoma"

Reckon that shine wore down on that 99, and ya was reachin for the next shiny one. Hope ya be enjoyin that Chevrolet this year, heard tell them new nissan trucks for 2001 have the shine, reckon ya be there next. Them yuppies be chasin that shine, year in, year out. Them that work em, keep em. Good luck on this one now!
    toys-r-us or whayever you are, could you please
    e-mail (you know what that is don't you) a copy
    of your language dictionary. it really is hard to

understand what it is that you're trying to say.
    if you want, i can reccomend an adult school for
    you. BTW do you have the Revell silverado or the
    Monogram version. which ever one you have, let me

know and i'll tell you how to get measurements of

these and convert by scale. this way you won't
    have to look up this info on internet.
    Oh yeah hogboy, sorry about the big words.

...RED
  • ferris47ferris47 Member Posts: 131
    Trucks for me just wants to rile everybody up. Let him preach on his soapbox like some crazy snake oil selling preacher and just block him out. It's not worth it. Occassionaly you will find some pretty good conversation here if you wade through the rest of the stuff.

You may be interested to know that apparently Chevy has greenlighted the production of the SSR concept. Could be the closet thing to the SS that the Chevy people will get. It should have a 6.0 in it.

I probably wouldn't own a "sport truck" again but I would like to see all the manufacturers hot rod out one of their trucks. I would love to see a Toyota Tundra Supercharged and beefed up a bit in the suspension. I would be willing to bet it would run close to a lightning. I don't think it would overtake it but It would be close.

Just rambling sorry.
    Not be expectin the soft-handed yuppie like ya too be understandin much of nothin now. Just keep on back slappin ya-self for bein so smart now, and keep on reachin for them shiny new things too. Makes none the difference if ya be understandin a workin man now or not, aint got the time too be learnin no yuppie nothin for sure. Good luck on this one now!
    a supercharged tundra? now that would be a toy
    worth haven. there's nothing like a dohc engine
    windin' up. reminds me of the honda V65 i used to
    ride. after that had the VF1000 euro style. it
    got me in a lot of trouble. but still just the
    thought of the tundra with that kinda
    performance. my wife would leave me.

...RED
    i guess i should take it easy on 'ol trucksrme.
    after reading his last post, i've come to realize
    that he's ok but he is mentally retarded.

...RED
  • tdstevetdsteve Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced electrical problems with the Tundra, such as doorlocks and cargolight malfunctions? Both went out at the same time.The dealer seems lost. I would appreciate any help with this. Thanks
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    tdsteve,
    The other folks who have reported a similar problem have had replacement latches done through warranty. Supposedly, this is a known ailment and is explained on the Toyota tech line the dealers have access to. I think the original latches are plastic which may give a ground problem if they've cracked. See what your dealer says. Good luck.
  • rslbeesonrslbeeson Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know why it is no longer possible to purchase a Toyota Tundra Limited with a receiver hitch? I have talked to two dealers as well as Toyota's Corporate Customer Service Hotline and have gotten three different answers as to why I cannot purchase a receiver hitch for a Limited. A SR5 yes, but not a limited!! They are even selling receiver hitches based on VIN #s making it impossible to buy one for say a SR5 and install it on my a limited. The problems seem to be emanating from EPA standards that the Limited is not meeting. Can anyone help? Toyota is unable to give me any answers.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I really do not know why you can't get a hitch from the factory on the Tundra limited. The real question is why can't you get a straight honest answer as to why. Is Toyota (now built in the USA) starting to treat customers the same way GM, Ford and Dodge do? Is the truck so close to its rated capacity that a 50 pound hitch puts it past its EPA rating? This would be hard to believe. Even with the tranny, and rear differential from the Tacoma is should be able to handle the extra weight of a receiver hitch.
    Them limited ones and that mystery hitch been around for a spell now. It sure be the mystery, and got too do with the haul for sure. Good luck on this one now!
  • humpdhumpd Member Posts: 2
    I have spent all morning reading the Tundra posts looking for QUALITY information. While I have found some, I have also found a LOT of trash talking. 75% or more of the posts should have been deleted by the moderator (Meredith?). Could you gentlemen please leave your egos at the door and just stick to the facts?
This discussion has been closed.