Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - IV

Comments

• quark99quark99 Member Posts: 136
    Bought my Neon R/T performance ECU from them...my local dealer wanted $265, www.kollerdodge.com quoted me $195.......yes, the gain was noticeable...(+10HP, +8 lbs of torque)
    I'd imagine the chip would boost performance about 6-7%...that would equate to 15-17 HP and 20-23 lbs of torque.....hmmm, that means the 4.7l could be rated at 250HP, 320 lbs of torque......not bad. The only downside will be the increased gas expense of premium unleaded. Toss an intake, UDP, and better-breathing exhaust and you might make 275HP and 345 lbs of torque.
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes...dyno test?
    -quark
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    I've run Porsches (currently) & Vettes (late 70s and early 80s) in auto-x and solo events for a couple of decades. So far this year (to date), only one 'pony' car has bested my Solo time(s) at the 'local' track: an SVO Mustang. I've beaten about two or three dozen 'lightly' prepped stocker ponies by less than a half second to about 1.25 seconds, depending on weather.

Oh, and I left the Porsches at home. I ran the Quad just as a 'novelty.' ;-))
  • njt15njt15 Member Posts: 20
    To confirm, you drove your Quad and beat the Porsche's and most of the Mustangs?

I lack a great deal of knowledge about the above events, but certainly, your driving ability has to be the equalizer. Aren't good results contingent mainly on handling and to a lesser degree acceleration?
  • njt15njt15 Member Posts: 20
    Allen-- it is all about acceleration! (right up to the speed limit). :)

quark-- Thanks for the Koller Dodge info. I actually live and work near there. I'll stop there at lunch. To date it is difficult to feel the mod's that I have made. So, far I have changed to Mobil 1, added a K & N and a Flowmaster cat-back kit. I'm skeptical of the advertised increases because the are often gained right at the redline; hard to fell in regular driving. I thought about headers, but they do not appear to be for the weekend mechanic. Also I have concerns about the warranty issue.
    Mainly Camaros and Trans Ams - not very good unless prepped for auto-x. The SVO was extremely well balanced, yet driven by a young lady who had only run a few events - though she is a VERY good kart racer, much better than I ever was. And NO! I didn't beat any Porsches - we just drive the same general course; I left my 944 at home so I thought I'd just run the Quad, as I've done a few times now. This truck has an amazing chassis/drivetrain!

The key to auto-x, particarly SOLO type events is 'smooth rules, and you rule if you're smooth.' I was lucky to have run over a hundred of the things in 25 years, and have learned & 'borrowed' many, MANY treacherous little tricks for winning. Tires (particularly pressures), corner weighting and a positive attitude are each a BIG part of winning - much more than my being any better than the other guy (I'm certainly not). It's one sport where luck doesn't seem to help 'much' - unless your main competitor busts out with hives or something. ;
  • edermaredermar Member Posts: 10
    Sorry if this has been answered before: Wondering if there is an aftermarket source for carrying racks on the Dakotas.Without the stake holes I don't know to set one up. I'm looking for a system that would allow transport of a canoe or ladder.Any sources out there? Thanks
    Ed
  • robyn5sjwrobyn5sjw Member Posts: 1
    Hello all from a new Dakota owner. Have tried the ignition on-off trick to get the trouble code, if any. Is there a list of the trouble codes and what they mean on the internet somewhere, or anywhere we can get to them?
    Only trouble I've had is the cruise control worked the first day, now won't. The dealer has ordered another computer for it, said they've never seen this before...and there is one error code.
    Thanks in advance!
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (robyn5sjw)
    Ask and you shall receive... Here are the trouble codes. I also have the real DC shop Manual if the following URL is incorrect/outdated

http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/www/DAKOTA/CODES/codes.html
  • knkresortknkresort Member Posts: 79
    The only problem with the codes listed in:

http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/www/dakota/codes/code.html

is that they are for a 1996 Dakota. Should be okay, but some may change. If you get a code, ask us in the forum. Several of us have BOB (Big Orange Book) and will be glad to look them up for you.

KnK
    How about "P 1491" for a code? Since it's not listed at the site.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (themacguy) Just for you,I will quote the BOB

P 1491 = Radiator Fan Control Circuit (An open or shorted condition detected in the radiator fan control relay control circuit. This includes PWM solid state relays)
    That's just the way I read it. Interestingly, the relay was fried, which I replaced to no avail, and now must go in for the ubiquitous warranty query. I sense some dealer problems coming my way - since I didn't buy locally - but I was smart (or informed) enough to get the Chrysler 'Business Link' thingy, which should keep the nasty little techs from pulling my leg too far. We'll see. And thanks again...
  • cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    I've created a new topic. Head here for the
    war between the compact trucks:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?c=Pickups&f=0&t=2170

Do you think the Dakota is the best thing since
    sliced bread? Tell us why.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    i was just at the local dodge dealership today and noticed that a couple 01 model club cabs had just been delivered. since i had heard about some changes to the 01 model i decided to investigate. looks like most of the changes were to the interior...in other words the dash and door panels. my reaction to the dash is mixed. interestingly enough its styling sorta reminds me of some dashes i've seen in cadillacs. it also has borrowed the radio and climate controls from the intrepid. anyone else seen the 01 model??
  • wvboywvboy Member Posts: 2
    My dakota has musty smell coming from the vents. I ran my a/c for several minutes yesterday and didn't notice any water dripping outside the truck. Apparently the a/c drain is clogged and I've got some water trapped. Can anyone tell me where that drain line is. I've looked and looked and can't find it. I'd rather avoid the hassle of taking the truck back to the dealer and just fix it myself.
  • madallmadall Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering ordering a 2001 Dakota Club Cab SLT 4x4 loaded up, but the brochure doesn't have much information about the options.

Does anyone out there have the full-time 4x4 transfer case w/4.7 liter & multispeed auto?

The Premium overhead console?--what does it do/have?

Bucket seats/console--what's the console like (the broch. doesn't even have a picture of it!)

Any problems I should know about?

Thanks for any information; I'll be going from an Acura sedan to the Dakota pickup and am concerned about quality, durability, comfort, gas mileage, etc.

Thanks all.
  • chaspchasp Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know if the 2001 4X2 QC with the Tire and Handling package comes with 16" wheels?

Thanks.
  • 2drive2drive Member Posts: 90
    madall - Re: your concern about Dakota quality, durability, comfort and gas mileage: I bought a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab specifically because of my experience with my 1985 Chrysler minivan that I was replacing after 400,000 original miles on the engine and transmission.

The Dakota came the closest to meeting or exceeding the minivan's most satisfactory quality of engineering/design, comfort of seating/ride and durability of components.

However, even with a major adjustment of going from 30+ mpg with the minivan to 20+ mpg with the Dakota, I'm thoroughly happy with the Dakota!
    Saw one today on the lot (Black SLuT 2wd with every option but leather and it has the 4.7/auto). The wheels are the 16" with the OWL Goodyear LS radials. Letters are rather large, you might want the blackwall tires - maybe not. The bed 'offset' is still there though; measured 1 1/2" 'stick out' on the right rear and 5/8" on the left rear. Hmm. Fronts appear to be inside the wheel wells, but my '00 15X8"ers stuck out about 1" and were covered perfectly by the flares when I added the Kelly Springfield 70 series tires, but they didn't even start to cover the 17X9 factory combos I have put on for auto-x stuff. I don't see the 16's filling out the front flares. Maybe just this one Quad?!

On a brighter note, the new dash ain't as bad as I thought. A future trade will be just fine, if it happens. I run mileage up pretty quickly...
  • resqmanresqman Member Posts: 71
    Premimum Overhead Console provides an LED display, sunglasses holder, garage door opener, and cab lights. The LED display shows 8 compass headings, (N, NE, E, SE, S etc.) and temperature. The temp probe is just behind the grill. Mine reads 5 degress hotter than all the radio weather man. My salesman said all the Durangos he drives are 2-3 degrees off.

Additionally the LED display knows how much fuel is in the tank. It displays miles traveled, miles to empty, average mpg, instaneous mpg, and time motor has been running since last reset. It has a switch to display in metric if you prefer kilometers and celicus.

$900 for a computer to calculate mpg, a thermometer, a very basic compass, two overhead lights, and a sunglasses holder.

I must admit the computer is addicting to keep track of mpg. You get light(s) in the same spot even if you don't get the overhead console. I don't wear sunglasses and my garage door opener has a keeper that holds it to my visor just fine. The compass is mildly entertaining but almost certainly a luxury.

Bucket seats/Console
    The console is narrow and deep. Depending on the size of the stuff you keep, it can be useful. It is about 4-5 inches wide, by 12-14 inch long, by 10-12 deep. Just right for maps. It also includes a removable square plastic bucket. Deep enough to stand up a pencil. I keep a small tool roll, maps, disposable ponchos, comb, leather gloves, checkbook, pad of paper, and pocketknife. In the bucket, I have a few pens, pencils, and bottle of aspirin. Oh, it also has a place for coins. It is the wrong size for CD's.

It does have more space than the bench seat console for storage but still only if what you have is narrow and not too long.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    "$900 for a computer to calculate mpg, a
    thermometer, a very basic compass, two overhead
    lights, and a sunglasses holder."
    I think you are off on the price of this option, if I recall when I ordered my Quad the msrp for this option came out to $195. Rick
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    As I remember it, the overhead power group runs about $900, which bundles the power doors and locks with the premium overhead console.

If you get the regular power group (just power windows and doors- no premium overhead console), it's about $200 cheaper, so the incremental cost of the premium overhead is about $200.

It's still pretty much a toy, but it's a whole lot easier to justify at that price. Besides, how else will I know which way is up?
  • resqmanresqman Member Posts: 71
    Yeah, that was what I was remembering as the price. The premimum overhead also includes the auto dimming rearveiw mirror option and remote keyless entry.

I have had limited night time driving but the few times I was on long trip expressway driving. Seemed to do a good job of reducing the halo/starburst effect of lights to the rear of my vehicle as seen in the mirror. The mirror darkened all objects to the rear and gave them a blueish tint.
  • fat_fendersfat_fenders Member Posts: 96
    resqman,

I just picked up an 01 Dakota Quad Cab Sport 4X4, Leather buckets, center console, etc. My console has a lift-out tray that holds 7 or 8 CDs and maybe 6 cassettes very well. Not sure of the exact quantities but that's close. My point, CDs fit very well in mine. Maybe two different types of consoles?

fat_fenders
    is the leather option new for 01. i have been on the 4adodge.com web site and have built an 00 model but leather isn't an option. what colour is your leather? thanks.
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    The leather is the new option for 01 and comes in the slate gray or the taupe.
  • fat_fendersfat_fenders Member Posts: 96
    emale - Yah, what he (steve234) said. Leather is an option for 01 in the Quad Cabs. Check out the Dakota Quad Cab Owners forums - photos. I've posted pictures of my truck.

What do you mean you "built" a 2000? Do you have or are you waiting? 2000s no longer being built, only 2001s.

waynesan - My suggestion would be to go back to the dealer, talk to your sales dude and ask him why he didn't tell you about the dealer incentive and ask him to forward that cash to you when received. Doesn't hurt to ask. Might mention something about repeat business, how you're on a Dakota chat site and how the word of mouth could affect future sales from everyone YOU know!!! Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

All three dealerships I went to when gathering pricing told me about that incentive without my asking. Of course, I did tell them I've been doing a lot of searching on the internet... I paid about 2% over invoice, others have done better but it might depend on where you are.

fat_fenders
    fat_fenders,

i built a "virtual" quad cab on the dodge web site, that is what i meant. they haven't yet updated the site with the 01 info...
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    As I understand it, the rebate for the Quad is only for 2000s. Am I missing something here?
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    It may also apply to the 01 regular cabs and the club cabs, but I don't believe it works for the 01 Quads.
  • pogiepogie Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 dakota 4x4 with a 4.7l engine. Since I have had it, it has idled really rough for the first 10 sec or so after it sits for a couple of hours to the point of stalling out. Then, when I restart it it runs fine. Also, there is a an annoying ticking sound coming from the dash. I was wondering if anybody else has had either of these problems and how they fixed them. Please help, my mechanic and I are desperate!!!!!!!!
  • deuce56deuce56 Member Posts: 46
    Does anyone have a preference between the Berlin soft tonneau and the Extang Sabre snapless?
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    Took off my TekStyles soft tonneau cover and frame to do some hauling of various lawn tools for the day. When I took the frame off I saw the paint had an "orange peel" texture where the weather-strip tape (single sided tape applied to the frame) contacted the paint (down both side rails). Maybe the truck's paint wasn't fully cured prior to the tonneau frame installation or maybe the tape's solvents leached into the paint to cause to problem. I'm going to run without the tonneau for a while to see what happens - maybe nothing at this late stage (paint will remain affected).

I like the cover but I can see as the weather gets colder (south central PA), its going to be impossible to snap it back in place without warming it up somehow.
  • dbhfddbhfd Member Posts: 14
    I had the same problem with the rough idle to the point of stalling which it did start doing a few times. I also had it worse because it affected my transmissions 2nd gear operation. If it is the same thing, have your mechanic check the crankshaft speed sensor. That was my problem....a quick fix and no problems since. Let me know if that was it....good luck!
  • marklettmarklett Member Posts: 5
    I had to have the Tensioner pully replaced at 15k due to bad bearings. At 30K it started making noise intermittenly. Now at 42k It sounds if it has marbles in it. My own darn fault for not getting it fixed under warranty. The question is does anyone have a better fix for this than the stock part. Shoot I'm gonna be replacing this thing more often than the oil at this rate.
    Just put to put peoples fears at bay my old 87 Dakota made it 186k. The only thing that ever bothered me is i had to replace all the tail pipe and muffler clamps. Why put on a SS exhaust system with carbon steel clamps ? Some young inexperiencied engineer LOL. I know they wouldn't do something like to save a few pennies. LOL
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Sometimes, the warranty work and/or repairs are guaranteed for the time you own the vehicle. My wife had that program.

Bookitty
  • dutch4505dutch4505 Member Posts: 15
    Just picked up my 2000 Dodge Dakota club cab truck. (Oct7, 2000) Enjoyed a nice ride back from the dealership. Approx 200 miles to home. The truck seems great!

The dealership I thought sold me the truck at a fair price with a built in rebate of $ 1000. The concern I have is that I think the rebate was increased to $2000 on October 2, 5 days before I purchased the truck. Did not find this out until a friend told me when I got back home with the new truck. Still need to confirm the change in the rebate though.

When we did the paperwork at the dealership the rebate form stated $ 2,000. The finance manager said this was a mistake and crossed out our copy to $ 1,000. This seemed ok at the time, but now I am very suspicious. There is a 1 800 number to call on the rebate form. I plan to call first thing Monday morning.

Previous comments on this message board (in Aug/00) also mention problems with not getting the full rebate. What is going on?

Are the dealerships pocketing the extra rebate? Sending in rebate claims for $ 2,000 and then telling customers that the rebate was only $ 1000.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Richard
    Lubbock, Texas
    Just picked up my 2000 Dodge Dakota club cab truck. (Oct7, 2000) Enjoyed a nice ride back from the dealership. Approx 200 miles to home. The truck seems great!

The dealership I thought sold me the truck at a fair price with a built in rebate of $ 1000. The concern I have is that I think the rebate was increased to $2000 on October 2, 5 days before I purchased the truck. Did not find this out until a friend told me when I got back home with the new truck. Still need to confirm the change in the rebate though.

When we did the paperwork at the dealership the rebate form stated $ 2,000. The finance manager said this was a mistake and crossed out our copy to $ 1,000. This seemed ok at the time, but now I am very suspicious. There is a 1 800 number to call on the rebate form. I plan to call first thing Monday morning.

Previous comments on this message board (in Aug/00) also mention problems with not getting the full rebate. What is going on?

Are the dealerships pocketing the extra rebate? Sending in rebate claims for $ 2,000 and then telling customers that the rebate was only $ 1000.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Richard
    Lubbock, Texas
    Dutch, if the rebate changed from $1000.00 to $2000.00, and the dealer "overlooked" it, that is one situation and he is just a slimebag. If he crossed out $2000.00 and entered $1000.00 telling you that it was misprint, then that constitutes fraud and now he is a "culpable slimebag" and needs the attention of an attorney along with some consumer advocates accompanied by the Better Business Bureau, newspapers, whatever. Get the point. Good luck.

Bookitty
  • jacobinijacobini Member Posts: 1
    Could you provide an update about spark knock?

The previous owner stated that this is not something to be concerned about.

Your opinion would be apprciated!
  • biggreddbiggredd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Dakota club cab with 4.7 liter motor. The day after I received the truck it made a creaky/squeeky noise underneath whenever I went over every bump or uneven surface on the road. I took it in to the dealer three times before they finally replaced the sway bar bushings. This fix lasted two months before it returned. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any idea what may be causing the noise? I believe the noise is coming from the front end of the truck, but I am not sure.
    After a few phone calls, and waiting for 3 weeks, we received the balance of the rebate.

Thanks for everyones comments.
  • kbt1kbt1 Member Posts: 3
    98 Dakota current 85,000 km
    Partial repair list as follows
    5,000 km replaced rear engine support to cure squeak.
    12,000 km replaced top control arm assys, to cure squeaking ball joints.
    15,000 km replaced front brake pads and rotors.
    18,000 km replaced crankshaft sensor, left me stranded.
    19,000 km replaced battery, again left me stranded.
    25,000 km replaced bottom control arms, squeaking ball joints.
    30,000 km replaced pinion seal and rear trans seal
    35,000 km replaced drive shaft u joints
    38,000 km replaced rear wheel seals and brake linings
    45,000 km replaced engine rocker arm assy, noisy
    55,000 km replaced engine supports, one broken
    Above repairs done on warranty,
    Following done at my expense.

81,000km replaced all control arms, ball joints worn and would not pass inspection cost $1500.00. At time of replacement ball joints could not be purchased without the arm assy,(another Dodge rip off) apparently they are now available as a bolt in after market replacement.
  • stew2001stew2001 Member Posts: 9
    Hey all, I am the proud owner of a 99 RT I picked up earlier this year. me and my little bro are turning it into a real runner this winter. I am also hoping to pick up a 01 4.7 down the line for my everyday driver.The RT has been dang reliable for me, It's puts my Ford's I have owned to utter shame. I love Dakotas :)

Brian
  • kbt1kbt1 Member Posts: 3
    The Dodge soaps, see the following link http://www.detroitnews.com/2000/autos/0011/06/a01-144553.htm
    Thank you for sharing that important piece of news. I was aware that there was some intense internal "thrashing about" but had no hard and fast details. Mr. Schrempp is now in the "once uttered" situation as regards his remarks to the press concerning the posture of the merger. Here is an example of a "once muttered." Wife to husband, "How do I look in my new dress?" Husband responds, "Fat." Now, "once muttered" there is nothing else that he can say to alleviate
    the impact of that comment. He can say that he meant that she does not look fat, but the dress looks fat, or the fault lies with the dress, or anything else. It will do no good. He lives and/or dies with the statement and the probability leans heavily towards "dies."

Bookitty
  • s4016s4016 Member Posts: 12
    Anyone have any idea how long I have to wait for one of these. I keep hearing the 5.9 is on its way out! Someone has to have the inside info.
  • bmwjoebmwjoe Member Posts: 136
    Hi,

I have a 2WD Dakota Sport with the 5.2, 5-speed and limited slip. I want to get some snow tires for the rear. I have looked into "winter" tires like the Blizack, but they want you to get 4. I only want 2. Has anyone put 2 "winter" tires on their Dakota? How did it work?

On the other hand, does anyone have any good suggestions for old style snow tires? Any good online sources?

Drive Safe,

Joe
    http://home.jtan.com/~joe/toys.htm
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Joe. I have a 2000 Quad 4.7l 2wd 5spd That I put snow tires on however I went with the new Blizzak truck tires on all 4 corners. I bought a set of rims off of Ebay and the tires from the tirerack web site. Just had a 3" snow and ice storm and traction and the ability to turn was exceptional. Snow tires on the rear only help with the acceleration, I feel the snows up front are really necessary for the control turning the truck. If you don't need the 15x8 rims you can find 15x7 or 15x6 alloy rims relatively cheap. I went with the 15x8 to keep the same look as my "summer tires". Rick
  • wetwilliewetwillie Member Posts: 129
    I agree with iowadude - you really should have snows all around. I put michelin artic alpins on my 5.2l 5-sp before snow season last year (along with some weight in the back) and was pleased with the results. You really need 4 not just for cornering, but braking (and control while braking!!)
This discussion has been closed.