Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Owners Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• jerseydeviljerseydevil Member Posts: 16
    The local dealer had this on the showroom floor. Very nice install job and the leather quality was very high - nicer than the factory leather in my Pacifica with nearly twice the msrp. The leather really dressed the 5 up quite a bit.

• intewedmintewedm Member Posts: 1
    Which Rosenthal Mazda did you order from? What is the European version? Thanks.
  • eggzellenteggzellent Member Posts: 1
    I want to install fog lights in the pre-existing cutouts. (I thought the dealer price was a bit ridiculous). Has anyone tried this yet? I believe I can just pop out the blanks that are there and as long as I have the right diameter lamps, all should be fine. Any thoughts or photos of a do it yourself job out there?

Also, a word to the wise..I had an unrepairable puncture in the tire this week. When I started checking for replacements, NO DEALER HAD THEM IN STOCK! (3 dealers in my city) I finally begged the dealer I bought my 5 from and they took a tire off of one on the lot for me.(paid $190, plus mount and balance) Everyone said it would take a week or more for new ones to come in. (I obviously wanted to replace with the same exact tire - TOYO Proxes (205/50/R17-89V) I was told TOYO isn't making that tire anymore! AND, after an exhaustive web search of comparable major brand tires, I was pretty shocked to see how expensive they are (avg. $190-$250 PER TIRE!) SO my advice, take advantage of the lifetime tire program offered, and maybe buy a new full size tire to keep in the garage in an emergency. ;)
  • wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    The 17" wheels and tires from the Mazda3s will fit the Mazda5. The bolt pattern for the wheels is the same and it's the same size tires (205/50-17 Goodyear RS-A).

You can find guys on the Mazda3 forums selling them for around $500

The 18" wheels and tires from the RX-8 will fit too. ;)
  • m5fan4m5fan4 Member Posts: 2
    For the most part, we drive our Mazda5 with the back two seats folded down. We purchased a cargo cover (very nice accessory) but were concerned about things to rolling forward between the two middle seats. Unfortunately, Mazda doesn't have any accessories to prevent that.

Being creative, we purchased Evenflo's Soft and Wide Gate ($35), and it solved the problem perfectly, almost as if it were built for that purpose! (Even the colors match with the black interior). Note: If you don't have the cargo cover, the child gate rods occasionally rattle a bit, but adding the cargo cover solves that problem and hides the top rod.
    :)
  • howrheehowrhee Member Posts: 3
    We're interested in switching out the Altezza (clear) taillights for red taillights. I understand that these are available in Europe, and my father-in-law confirmed this by bringing back this picture recently from Europe that he took, showing a Mazda5 with red taillights (see below).

Has anybody had success in locating and acquiring these taillights in the US?

• dimeatappsdimeatapps Member Posts: 1
    My 5 makes for a Happy New Year, However this is a list of items that will make me ecstatic:
    1] An iron clad answer on where to purchase the "Euro-Rails"
    (The North Am. Tuhles are a no-go, the equivalent of putting a wal-mart backpack on a super model).
    2] No more "myths and stories" on how to connect my IPOD.
    An FM converter in a quiet car like the 5, driven in the NY City area can make you yearn for an 8-track player.
    I'll pay anything - I swear, somebody please, just make it work. Perhaps a call to Steve Jobs.
    3]The way cool Asian feature of adding a rear video camera to the nav system.
    Even Better, find a way to play DVD's on the same screen.
    4]After market arm rest for passenger side. My wife is getting ripped off. And I have to hear it while I enjoy my ride.
    5] A light switch on the dash for the interior light over the second row seats. We have 4 blanks to choose from, left of the st. wheel.
    We drive with the same configuration.

I bought a cargo net to keep everything from rolling forward.

I assume that the gate uses pressure pads to hold it in place? If so, what does that do to the interior trim pieces that the pads are pushing up against?
  • pagetunerpagetuner Member Posts: 41
    I hope it is possible, but I've had no success so far. They are not in the US or Canada parts books, and neither the UK nor the German dealer I contacted was interested in shipping them to the US. If you Google
    spray paint taillights red -halloween -kids
    you can read about spraying your clear ones red. Looks doable tho illegal.

Please post here if you find the answer.

pagetuner
    http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/
    Thanks for the post, pagetuner. I'll let you know if I find anything.
    Hi everyone,

We just purchased our Strato Blue Mazda5. We're pretty happy. A touring model with automatic, wheel locks and cargo net.

We're looking to upgrade to Sirius - has anybody done this and have any tips/suggestions for us? My plan is to go to the dealer and get it done, but I'm interested in any good ways to save money.

Thanks for your help.
  • notheadnothead Member Posts: 1
    Hey Dime, I have an answer for #2. check out this site they have a mode that works for $60 and a new one coming out sometime in the future that will add extended abilitities. http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/

I have one, it works but I am having a problem with alternator whine which I think might be a result of the cable that I used. I had a local shop install it since I have not havd time to figure out how to dig around the interior of the car. I should have a new cable installed later this week and I will post again if it fixes the whine.
  • twotwoandtwotwotwoandtwo Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone try to put a Hood Deflector on your M5, I saw a Hood Deflector for M3 (CDN $90) but not sure if that will fit.
  • nym5nym5 Member Posts: 20
    Your installer failed to read Sylfex's instructions to put a ground loop isolater in the audio line out. Pick one up at Radio Shack and it will solve the problem; the best quality shielded audio cable won't. The mp3 kits on ebay also work well, they use the ext cd/sat connection rather than the cass/md conn. They do not require the isolater. I know this because I have both on my 5, one for XM radio, the other for my ipod. good luck :)
    Probably not.

The hoods between the Mazda3 sedan and wagon is different too.

The Mazda5 hood is similar to the Mazda3 wagon's hood.

Where did you find the hood deflector for sale?
  • flyonthewallflyonthewall Member Posts: 41
    Look here for instal info and pics of AuxMod installed in my 5: http://www.mpvclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11333

I have yet to install a ground loop isolator because I mostly just play a flash drive MP3 and run it off of a AAA battery, not an adapter.
  • twotwoandtwotwotwoandtwo Member Posts: 5
    The one hood deflector, I think is for M3 Sport (Wagon). Size and shape is very similar to M5. I find it in a store near Hwy 7 & Woodbine, Markham, Ontario
  • c3poc3po Member Posts: 26
    As an alternative to hood deflectors and vinyl car bras, I had the 3M stone gaurd plastic film installed on my Mazda days after I took delivery. Check out
    http://www.chipguard.com

Its almost invisible and it looks great! :P
  • m5fan4m5fan4 Member Posts: 2
    We don't let pressure pads push into the interior trim at all. The top bar is kept in place by the cargo cover, and the bottom bar is secured by the middle seats.

One extra plus of having the child gate is when we fold the middle seats down, we just lay the child gate over them. That keeps bigger items from falling between the two middle seats.
  • oidiumoidium Member Posts: 1
    Hello Guys,

my name is Jens and I am from Germany, please excuse my bad English..!

I was reading a message in a german forum from a german guy, living in America and he told me that you are interested in switching the clear taillights into the red.
    If anyone of you is still intereted in doing so, please contact me by eMail...
    Perhaps we can excange some taillights from America to Germany and back..!?

Jens
  • pagetunerpagetuner Member Posts: 41
    Hallo Jens:
    Ihre Englisch ist viel besser als meine Deutsch. Hoffentlich verstehbar:

Ja, ich moechte gern die rote Ruckleuchte haben. Mir sehen die klare Teile wie Raketen aus. Eine Wechselprogram waere billigste, aber welcher Fahrer will warten, nach er seine Teile ins Post geschicht hat? Oder sagen Sie dass ich soll neue Teile einkaufen, und Sie dasselbe, und wir beiden senden und warten?

Sie koennen meine email-Addresse finden an meine Resume, bei meine Seite pagetuner wie unten.

Danke jedenfalls fuer Ihre Anzeige.

pagetuner
    http://pagetuner.com/
  • kev604kev604 Member Posts: 30
    Purchased a cargo cover last week from a local Mazda dealer. The dealer said I was the first to order and buy one. They didn't have one in stock had to specifically order it in for me. Was expecting a hard cover but it is actually a soft "tonneau" cover as Mazda calls it. Can only be installed with the back seats folded down. Very easy to install just pop the little square cap near the rear seat seatbelt with a screwdriver and slide the cargo cover in the slot. I call it a cargo curtain, it can be easily pulled open and pull shut. Was surprised to find this tonneau cover is made in Japan. Was expecting to find it made in Mexico or something like the cargo net that I also bought. The item looks and feels top quality and fits PERFECTLY. When I first saw it wasn't sure if I wanted it or not but now very happy with it would recommend it to any one out there. I'm not planning to tint the windows and primarily use the M5 as a 3 seater so the cargo cover option works for me. By the way I got 15% discount just by asking the dealer didnt have to do anything special.
  • rlyonrlyon Member Posts: 57
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking into the 5 and would ahve to get the cargo cover. Nice to know you're pleased with it. Too bad there's no option for the 3 row seats being up.
  • edf4edf4 Member Posts: 65
    Has anyone had a trailer hitch added to their Mazda5? I would like to get one for mine, not for towing anything, but for holding a rear bicycle carrier. Though the manual says the 5 should not tow anything, I wouldn't be. If I ask the dealer and they say no, could I just get an after-market hitch done at a place like U-Haul, or would that somehow void the warranty, and if so, what part of the warranty, drivetrain of the whole thing? Thanks for any enlightenment on this subject.
  • poohbah75poohbah75 Member Posts: 41
    There have been some earlier posts about this subject, thought I forget whether they were in this thread or the General thread. I doubt any dealer would install one for you, due to Mazda not rating the 5 for towing duty of any kind.
    Some other messages posted links to aftermarket class II receivers from various manufacturers. You might want to look for those, or just Google "Mazda 5 hitch" and see what comes up. Most of the mail-order prices were about $100-120 or so for a receiver with no wiring harness. I guess Mazda wants people to buy the roof rack and accessories for carrying bikes, but I prefer to have mine off the rear, out of the wind. Plus, the roof rack bars are too narrow for my needs. I'm waiting for aftermarket support from Thule/Yakima/et. al. for a rooftop box and accessories.
  • wreineckewreinecke Member Posts: 13
    I added the hitch. It is very easy to do. You have to enlarge two holes with a drill. The steel is very strong, you will need a cobalt bit. Mazda does not reccomend trailering, but a hitch is useful for many things, bike rack etc.
  • kw_dakw_da Member Posts: 76
    Hi,

What size is the receiver on the hitch you installed? I need a 2" receiver for my bike carrier. Where did you buy the hitch and how much did it cost?

Thanks,

David
  • mazda5_canmazda5_can Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I am picking up my new M5 in few days, dealership tried to sell me rust profing and tinted glass options.. I was wondering any of you guys have any sugestions....thanks for your help.
    I'd skip the rust proofing. The vehicles have all be rust proofed at the factory. Otherwised, they would have all rusted during the boart ride across the pacific.

Now, I would recommend getting the windows tinted. Cost will vary by the types of film used. The dyed ones are cheaper, but they will fade.

You should call couple of the tint shops around your house to see how much they charge. I'd guess around $250 or less.
  • mayorcoolmayorcool Member Posts: 6
    I'm very interested in getting a M5 in the next month or so, but the only thing that is concerning me is getting my I-pod connected. I read a few messages from last year regarding this, but I was wondering if there are any new products specifically designed for the M5. With any other car, I would just get an aftermarket headunit with hookups, but from looking at pictures of the M5 dash it looks like getting a new headunit is almost impossible. Any suggestions?
    Here's a heads up for you, when I purchased my M5 the dealer also tried to sell me rust proofing in a package with extra sound deadening, some sort of paint protection and scotchgard. Wanted CDN$500. They were really working hard to sell me this, alot harder then actually selling the vehicle. Commission must be pretty good if you buy one of these things. I quickly DECLINED. The vehicles are already rust proof and sound deaden by the manufacturer, if you want to give the paint extra protection wax it a few extra times yourself, if you want to give the seats an extra coat of scotchgard buy a bottle at wal-mart for $5.99 and spray as much on as you like. I guess what I'm trying to say is a quality manufacturer like Mazda give very close attention to detail, don't tell me your local dealership can do better job then Mazda has already done.
    Also the dealership will try to sell you extended warranty coverage. Usually its an extra 3 years bumper to bumper coverage. You can actually buy the same insurance from your local insurance agent for half the price or less.
    As far as tinting the windows my dealer offered to tint them for free but I have no intention of tinting mine.
    All class I-II hitches are the smaller 1-1/4" size, though you can get an adapter to allow installation of your 2" hitch rack. Most of the sites which carry the hitches also carry the adaptors. It will extend the setup about 10" or so and not look very attractive, but it'll work.

I doubt you will have much luck trying to find a 2" receiver hitch which is made for the MZ5, though if you're handy you could probably find one for another car and fudge it onto yours. The chassis isn't really made to handle class III duty, which is what all 2" receivers are. Good luck.
  • kw_dakw_da Member Posts: 76
    Hi,

Thanks for the information. May be the 07 Mazda5s will have factory approved trailer capability.

David
  • wreineckewreinecke Member Posts: 13
    I bought it from etrailer.com. It has the smaller receiver. I have the adapter, but be advised that it does not quite fit. It hits the bumper before the holes line up. The adapter brand is Curt so maybe another brand would work.

My bike rack had a 2" fitting but I was able to take the rack off of it and mount it on a smaller 1.25 fitting for the hitch.
  • wmiiiwmiii Member Posts: 10
    Has anybody installed an aftermarket cold air intake system. I have considered it but want to know if anybody has already done it and were the results worth it. Absolutely love the car and we are planning a trip from Texas to Disneyworld the end of May. Will be installing twin headrest video for the kids before we go. :D
  • northdennisnorthdennis Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone been able to come up with a dealer or alternate provider to get access to the Euro Rails?
  • afticaaftica Member Posts: 14
    After searching since getting our Mazda 5 in August, I have exhausted all possibility of getting the euro rails. Bottom line too expensive to order from Europe at least $1000.00 US, plus Mazda Canada looked into it and the understructure and attachmnent points are different. Just ordered this item, again after long search, and should have it early next week. I will take some pictures once it's installed. http://www.toplinemfg.com/html/bk-maggierack.html
  • bsdearbornbsdearborn Member Posts: 7
    I was wondering where others are storing the cover when using the 3rd row? I would love to not have to put it in the garage.
    Damn, that's a bold move, drilling holes in your own car. Good luck to you, make sure the seals actually do their jobs. I'd like to see pictures when you're done, but I like the idea of a rack you can apply and remove at will. Installing the "Maggie" rack means it will always stay on, regardless of how you feel about it. Make sure you're sure about it before you drill those holes in your roof! :surprise:
    I'm also interested in such an install. Any descriptions/pictures of the install would be great as well. Where you got it, how much it cost, whether it was a total pain or a breeze to install, etc. Perhaps when combined with a new exhaust it would give you a bit more power?
    Very bold. Good luck to you. I'm not so brave, but thanks for the update. I think the biggest issue is the mounting points are different, so far to costly to retrofit. Thanks again.
    You can store it under the second row seats. Apparently it just fits under there, I've never tried it but thats what the instructions that came with the box tell's you to do. ;)
    thanks, I did not get the manual with it.

Susan
  • wmiiiwmiii Member Posts: 10
    I have been able to find out the actual part numbers from a dealer in London.

RACK(R),ROOF CC5151T10C
    RACK(L),ROOF CC5151T20C
    BRACKET(R), ROOF RACK CC5151U30
    BRACKET(L), ROOF RACK CC5151U40
    BRACKET, ROOF RACK CC5151U90 X2
    NUT 9YB040604A X2
    NUT 9YB120603 X2

I do not have any idea what the cost to get them here is gong to be. I am letting my local dealer do the leg work from here and see if it is possible to install on a U.S. Version.

On the subject of aftermarket intake systems you can actually see an install on the 5 at www.cosmoracing.com and click on 'Air Intake Systems' and then 'Short Ram System'. That will then take you to the system for the 5. It appears to be a simple install and not badly priced. If it increases HP & MPG by even close to what they claim it would be worth the cost. :)
    Good research on the roof rack. Please let us know what you find out on costs and ability to upgrade. Very interested in what you find out.
    did you try to store it? i have no idea even with the diagram - the dealer could not do it either :mad:
  • rlyonrlyon Member Posts: 57
    There's AuxMod. It plugs into the back of the HU in the area for casette. It gives you a stereo mini out for the iPod. I'm on the waiting list for it, but that's the best option right now, tho I'm not sure if that charges the iPod (so you'd need a charger line also)

As for teh HU, someone actually makes the plastic enclosure and you can get it with a big cutout for installing a 4" (I think) after market HU. Just search the web, I cam across it at some Mazda forum.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    We'll talk anything and everything Mazda, and anything else that comes up, including CarSpace!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • afticaaftica Member Posts: 14
    I also got part #s from a Mazda UK dealer. Cost considerations and questionable fit with NA vehicle seem to be the issue from my perspective. Actually more fit than cost, if I knew they would fit I might try to get them sent over. Does anyone have more concise info on what it would take to make the Euro rails fit the NA vehicle? See more threads on this topic at http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2304902#post2304902