Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    ...Just take your time and READ the several Accord boards that this place has to offer.

Also, do a Google on Honda Accord and read professional reviews.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    The Honda Care Extended Warranty is excellent. To date, it has paid for a new A/C Compressor, Motor mounts, a replacement radio,(the display was not working), and a driver's side front door window regulator on my 2003 Honda 4 cyl Accord. (About $3,000.00 in repair cost). I would not own any vehicle without a FACTORY extended warranty. My warranty on this vehicle is for 7 years / 100,000 miles "O" deductible. These new vehicles are just too expensive to repair! ;) ---- Best regards. ---- Dwayne
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    That sounds like a lot of repairs for a car that should have been well-designed from the beginning, by reputation at least.

Some of those would have been fixed cheaper at a nondealer repair shop.

An extended warranty does seem necessary if you plan to keep the car beyond 3-36.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    You can be sure that those selling the warranty are pricing them to make a profit. You were just "lucky" in that you had a lot of problems.

So much for the supposed reliability of Honda :P . $3000 in repairs on a three year old car is sure a lot. I have not spent that much in the last 3 years on my 10 year old Ford.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I've spent $850 on a 1998 LeSabre. That's eight years. That includes the infamous replacing upper intake manifold.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• crimsonlaw2002crimsonlaw2002 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2004 Accord Ex-V6. It has just over 24K miles on it, out of which a good 5-6K were highway miles taken during long road trips.

The brakes squeak when I initially hit the brakes. If I hit them hard, then don't squeak. After the initial squeak, if I press down harder on the brakes, they don't squeak. But, after going about 1-2 blocks, they'll squeak again on initial braking. The brakes feel smooth like they always have. Braking, even at higher speeds, is straight. No shaking or vibrations.

I had the dealer look at them during my last oil change. The report says that they inspected them and cleaned them. Brake pad life is still good (said I shouldn't have any brake pad issues for another 15K miles or so). Rotars were good. (I previously had the front, driver's side replaced because it was warped.) I was told that everything looked fine.

So, why are my brakes squeaking? Should I be concerned? Thanks for your comments and help.
  • jjj4500jjj4500 Member Posts: 5
    My 2006 Accord EX-V6 automatic (3000 kms) has a clunk sound occurring when the vehicle is driven for the first time of the day. The clunk happens just prior to the shift from 1st to 2nd gear so your moving slow when this occurs. If you try to recreate the problem it doesn't happen. If you leave the vehicle turned off and try again in a few hours the clunk will sometimes reoccur.

So far an exhaust mount was adjusted, no change to the problem.
    The transmission has been flushed and refilled, no change.
    Honda replaced the transmission , no change

The dealership and Honda are stumped so I need to know if anyone else is having this problem with their new 2006 Accord.
    Not very pleased with Honda QUALITY, but I sure know all the staff at the dealership (many visits).
  • crimsonlaw2002crimsonlaw2002 Member Posts: 12
    I've experienced similar things. Always first in the morning as I was exiting the parking lot where I used to park my car. It happened more during the summer when my AC was on and was during the early years of my car (2004 Ex-v6). Of course, the AC thing is likely not your situation.

Mine hasn't done it in a long, long time.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    are you absolutely positive it isn't the ABS self test? this will happen one time when first starting out. some people report a tiny bit of grinding. others a clunk.

there is a TSB which i believe documents to the service manager how to re-create the self-test at will to help you associate the noise you hear with the function.

if you are aware of the ABS self test, and this isn't your problem, i'm stumped. if it is your problem, the fact they replaced your transmission is very strange.
    ....Brakes squeaking is probably the NUMERO UNO complaints of ANY car owners....

It has noting to do with the quality of your brakes, or the brand, or anything... IT'S JUST THERE. On humid days you'll experience it more, and always when the brakes are cold, at the beginning of your drive. And there is really not much ANYBODY can do about it...

Some will suggest that next time when going in for a brake job you ask to change the brand of pads... It may help, and then it may not...

Just don't be worried. Have fun with your car!
    Don't know why would Honda first FLUSH, and then REPLACE your brand new transmission....

But I don't believe it has ANYTHING to do with that "clunk" you hear when starting your drive...
    Yes, it is the ABS self-testing itself every time you start driving. It's in ANY car with ABS, and it's perfectly normal. It would be worrisome had it NOT occurred.
  • newcarholicnewcarholic Member Posts: 16
    Mine is 2005 EX-V6 Auto.
    I experienced the same thing when mine was brand new. In order to drive out of my parking lot, I have to make a left turn. When I make this turn and start to accelerate, I can hear this clunk noise. Now, my car has more than 3000 miles and the noise is gone. I was going to complain about this to the dealer, but this noise was gone by the time the car had enough miles for 1st oil change.

"It's in ANY car with ABS, and it's perfectly normal. It would be worrisome had it NOT occurred."

My other car is '95Accord EX with ABS, but I've never experienced this clunk.

Hmm, maybe I should pay a visit to my dealer next time i hear this clunk.
  • jjj4500jjj4500 Member Posts: 5
    I have taken other 2006 Accords identical to mine out for drives and none have the clunk mine produces.

Would the ABS self test be loud enough for everyone to hear in the vehicle and cause a vibration on the gas pedal?
    "My other car is '95Accord EX with ABS, but I've never experienced this clunk."

----- Well guss what... I had the SAME exact car up till a month ago (traded it in for a new Sonata, which also makes a "clunk" when I start driving.....)... And although you are right, that '95 Accord was NOT making any audible "clunk" when testing the ABS -- I know it was doing it, becuase when the ABS module got bad (which happened twice in 4 years) the ABS light would come up few seconds after I'd start driving...

Even with my wife's new Accord, the "clunk" is noticeable, but not always at the exact same time, and not the same exact way, sometimes louder, sometimes softer, yes, it's not always identical...

The bottom line is, this is normal. Stop worrying. Be happy.
  • newcarholicnewcarholic Member Posts: 16
    what a coincidence. You had '95 just like mine. Your wife drives a new Accord. The car I was talking about ('05)..., my wife drives it mostly.
    I almost bought a Sonata to replace my '95 (but decided to wait until new camry comes out).

Anyway, how much did you get for your old car? Was it in a good condition?
    how much did you get for your old car? Was it in a good condition?

...Actually I got a HELL of a deal.... THIS WAS A REAL JOKE....

This is not the Sonata board, so I won't get into the Sonata buying experience. But it's still a funny story:

I went to the Hyundai dealer just for a test drive of the new Sonata on the night of Jan. 31 (...Which is probably one of the BEST nights to purchase ANY car..). They offered me a great deal on the Sonata, but when I was leaving, telling them I need to sell my old Accord first -- They told me to give them an offer.... I knew (from checking on line the night before) that for my '95 Accord V6 EX, if I sell it to a PRIVATE PARTY, I could ask $5,000, hoping for the best... Trade-in value was about $2,500 to $3,000.

I told them if they give me $5,000, we have a deal. THEY DID!

Now, the funny part is, I was NOT driving my old Accord when entering the Hyundai dealeship, but my daughter's Civic. They signed a contract with me, with the $5,000 marked on it as the purchase price for my old Accord --- WITHOUT THEM EVEN SEEING THE CAR!...

My Accord had (the original) 79,000 on the odometer. It was driving great, I took good care of it. But the ABS was shot, and the ABS light was on.... And it badly needed a front end alignment.

To make a long story short, the next day I filled up the ABS reservoir so that the ABS light goes away (for a couple days, probably).... I went to the car-wash and drove to the dealership. They didn't even take the car for a test-drive, just gave me my keys to the new Sonata....

I felt like a lucky guy that day. Or maybe I just have the face of an angel?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I felt like a lucky guy that day. Or maybe I just have the face of an angel?

Maybe. it could also be that the salesman needed to meet a quota since it was the 31st of the month? I dunno...just trying to throw out some ideas.
    Probably... That's why I noted the date... January is maybe the SLOWEST month of the year (not only for car dealers)... People are still in their "caves" with a hangover...

Which is GOOD TO KNOW for the future...
  • hnguyen1hnguyen1 Member Posts: 17
    The same thing happens to my 06 LX V6 (3000 miles). When I first make a left turn out of my parking lot, I hear a sound like something is dragging, the gas pedal vibrates a bit. After work (about 9hrs later), when I drive out of the company parking lot, sometimes the sound occurs again. It only happens about twice per day.

I thought it was only my car since I only noticed it after I ran over some metal sheet on the highway. Now I should pay attention to see if it will keep happening. Keep me posted. Thanks
  • tesh1tesh1 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 Accord LX with 46K miles, and have had all necessary service performed at dealership. Took the car in last week for brakes and a major service as it felt like something was slipping. $600 later, they replaced the brakes and the solonid. Picked it up, after 3 days, drove it three miles and it stopped. Nursed it back to the dealership, and was told it needs a new transmission. They have agreed to replace it under the warranty. Now they tell us it also needs needs new rack and pinion steering and new engine mounts. The car was rearended once, but nothing major.

We are freaked - less than 50K miles and about $7K in repairs.

Do we have a late blooming lemon? Anyone else had any expereince like this?
  • yazyazooyazyazoo Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2003 V6 EXL coupe. I just recently had new brakes put on at 39k miles on the rear tires. I have had a weird sensation with the brakes about 3 times. Sometimes when I had to brake hard, it felt as if my front tires were shuddering and shaking and I could feel it on the brake pedal. It almost felt like the tires were sliding? It almost feels as if the brakes are going out. HOwever I have had my brakes checked whenever it goes into the dealership. Has anyone else had this happen? Is this the ABS turning on? This has never happened on the freeway but in parking lots where I can't be going faster than 10-15 mph. Any TSB's on the brakes?
  • lastwraithlastwraith Member Posts: 350
    I doubt very highly it's a safety issue, though you of course are never wrong in having things like that checked by someone you trust. A fair amount of time this can occur if no brake grease was applied, was applied incorrectly, or was not sufficiently applied. That is the first thing I would look at.

As per an edmund's ownership how-to:

"Remember the little packets of grease you bought? These are used to lubricate the brake pads. Careful now -- not on the front of the pad, which comes in contact with the rotor, but on the back. The pads attach to the caliper via a plate-and-clip arrangement. The lubricant goes between the plate and the back of the brake pad. Got it?

Don't overlook this. If you don't do it, you'll get a horrible screeching sound every time you apply the brakes, like a dinosaur in heat (and you know how horny those velociraptors used to get). After you apply the grease, attach the pad to the plate and slide the whole thing into place."

good luck
  • lastwraithlastwraith Member Posts: 350
    Actually, that's not entirely true. I have had certain brands (or more accurately) certain types of pads / rotors on cars, most noticeably a heavy minivan, that sqeaked where other types of pads did not. Switching pad types can not only eliminate squeaking but also up the stopping power of your brakes. A lot of those "lifetime" pads will not wear out, they'll chew up your rotors first, but you might wish they would wear out from the way they perform. At least that was some of my friends' experiences until I swapped them out for something decent.

Also, your brakes will more often squeak on humid days and when they are cold in the morning for the simple reason that rust more easily forms. In the morning dew when you come out to the car you will notice the layer of rust on the brake rotors. When they squeak on that first stop or two you are just grinding off this layer. On really humid days it will build up quicker and you may notice it more.

Changing the brand of pads may not be so important as changing the type, though it's worth a shot if you need a certain type of pad for a specific application. Semi-metallic pads, which are found on most vehicles I would wager, last long but can be noisy and offer only middling performance. Not to mention they can grind down your rotors. I would recommend a good ceramic pad for most passenger vehicles unless you are worried about the appearance of your rotors (ceramics can generate a lot of dust) or the fact that you may have to change pads more often. The performance is worth it in my mind though.

Happy motoring!
    I also had the motor mounts replaced on an 2003 4 cylinder Accord. In addition to the mounts, the Honda Care Extended Warrranty also replaced the AC Compressor, the driver's window regulator, and the radio because the dash display failed. Honda has put in at least $3,000.00 dollars worth of repairs under the extended warranty. I would not own a vehicle today without a factory extended warranty. They are just too expensive to repair, and the overall quality of every vehicle on the market is poor. I recently made an appointment to have the Accord prepared for Spring / Summer driving. While they will be going over the entire vehicle, I will make it a point to have them examine the "steering system" for any leaks or problems. I am sure if a problem exists with your Accord, there is a strong possibility that my vehicle might also have a problem. Thank for the information. Best regards. ---- Dwayne ;)
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    under HARD braking, most likely it is the ABS activating. ABS will pulse the brakes rapidly to keep the wheels from locking up where the vechicle / tires would simply skid against the road surface.

go slower in the parking lots. ;)
  • seniorjoseseniorjose Member Posts: 277
    Good Luck...sounds like Hyundai and you were made for each other!
  • gotta_gogotta_go Member Posts: 6
    My 6 month old 5k miles Accord is making some squeaking when I try to apply break in the mornings. Is it very common or I should go see a dealer?

Thanks.
  • gotta_gogotta_go Member Posts: 6
    Read this on some other forum.... has anyone over here found this problem?

"For those who purchased 4 cylinder engine 2006 Honda Accord VP, LX, EX. The driver side rear bumper is sagging, bring it back to your dealership fix it as soon as possible."
    "sounds like Hyundai and you were made for each other!"

Ha ha... I bought my wife an '05 Accord V6 EX in August. Great car. Fun to drive. Powerful engine. All is really good.

For myself I decided to buy a less expensive car (see, I'm humble). The Sonata is a great car, well designed, well built, better equipped than the Accord, approx. $4,000 less expensive than the Accord -- and it's getting rave reviews from professionals...

I can tell you that the new Sonata is going to become both Accord's and Camry's REAL CONTENDER in a couple years.
  • vonbockvonbock Member Posts: 4
    Hello, I am wanting to try to get my Honda Accord to 1 million miles. I have a 2002 Accord and I know it will take a while. Any suggestions on keeping my car in good shape to get there? NO rebuilding engine either.
  • chan101quachan101qua Member Posts: 26
    Hello,

Got a couple question regarding accessories for a new Accord SE 06 Sedan:

Can you guy suggest some good alarm system that can go with the keyless entry built in of the Accord?
    For wheel lock, splash guard, should I go for the OEM parts ? or should I go with after market parts ?
    Is there any product that can help support the car from other car (i.e., other cars scratch your car at parking ... )

Thanks,
    I would use only Honda parts! ----Best regards. --- Dwayne
    Frequent oil and filter changes,(every 2,000 miles)! Use high quality oil and filters!-----Best regards.----Dwayne
  • biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    I'd can the alarm changes. The build in system Honda provides is ok and it gets you the insurance discount. After that most add-on alarms are a waste(IMHO). If you add an alarm system you may have to deactivate the Honda built in keyless entry. Add the chromatic mirror and compass, a Honda add on.
  • yazyazooyazyazoo Member Posts: 20
    The brake shuddering seemed to happen during a normal pedal push. Then it felt like it collapsed and pushed in more and that is when the shuddering is felt. I was not going much faster than 10 mph. It felt almost as if the front axles gave out. Is this what ABS feels like. I don't know if I have ever activated it.
    Reading your post first I was sure it's normal ABS kicking in.

But now it seems abnormal. ABS kicks in when you try braking on a wet and certainly icy pavement. Sometimes on gravel too. And it usually while braking hard.

What you're describing here is not normal ABS.

I would take it to a professional. Certainly if it keeps doing it!
  • deliciousbassdeliciousbass Member Posts: 18
    Are you sure stretching it to 2000 miles is a wise thing to do? :D
    You must be saying this tongue in cheek! Let's say you drive 25K/year. That means you will drive 100K every 4 years. That means you will have to keep the car for 40 years to make it to 1000K. Hope you are young because as one ages the miles per year tends to drop off a bit. If you want to keep the car as long as possible, follow the severe driving conditions maintenance schedule as outlined by Honda and hope that the laws of probability are on your side for the next few years. Lets' get together in 2046 to celebrate 1 million miles in your 2002 Accord!!!
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    I could not imagine driving the same car for 1M miles! Talk about boring!!

Mrbill
  • nash123nash123 Member Posts: 82
    Have you checked the coolant level? or had it replaced recently? Sometimes they can't drain all of the coolant out and a little bit of it gets stuck in the system with a lot of air trapped. So when you step on the gas the traveling air does that boiling sound.
  • vonbockvonbock Member Posts: 4
    I figured it out already, I am going to try, who knows I might make it :). I have been following the maintenance schedule by the book and using Mobil 1 synthetic :)
    That's just what I do. Per 1 Filter and Mobil 1 every 5K and follow the book on the rest. I hope to make it 10 years with my 2004 Accord LX V6 Coupe. I also hope that I am still able to drive in 10 years!! Although I do wish I still had my 65 Falcon 289 4 on-the-floor. It made it to 104K and collapsed in a pile of rust!
  • seniorjoseseniorjose Member Posts: 277
    There have been many autos that stated thery were the NEXT Camry or Accord...and I personally think Hyundai has less of a chance than those others who have failed.

Gee, you really gave your accord away with only 79,000 miles...next time test the market!
    Dear senior,

The fact you like your Accord so much (and rightfully so) does not mean other cars are inferior.... You may personally think the Sonata has no chance, yet professionals in the field, those who'se job is to TEST new cars and evaluate them mechanically -- are actually thinking differently....

And as to my good old Accord V6 EX with 79,000 miles, getting $5,000 from a DEALER is a hell of a price... Just do some research...

...Again, what you PERSONALLY think has no bearing on what Kelly Book says, or even Edmunds...
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    For those who purchased 4 cylinder engine 2006 Honda Accord VP, LX, EX. The driver side rear bumper is sagging, bring it back to your dealership fix it as soon as possible."

I have no such problem, nor have I seen this problem EVER. I have a 4-cylinder 2006 Accord EX. No bumper issues. In fact, no issues at all since new. Now have 4,400 miles and averaging 29 mpg.
  • chan101quachan101qua Member Posts: 26
    I plan to add wheel lock and splash guard (which is a piece of cake to install). I also want the auto-dim mirro, but the complicate installation instruction scared me.
    Yes, I agree that the instructions for the installation of the mirror seem a bit daunting. But if you read them carefully and look at the areas that have to be accessed it is really not that bad. The hard parts, electrical connections, have already been made by Honda. All you have to do is plug in the wiring for the mirror in to the wiring for the car. You will also have to find a place for a ground wire, now that a problem considering the amount of plastic that is in the area in which you will be working (of course this is said tongue in cheek!). These are the same instructions that the service techs at the dealerships follow, so why can't you? In my opinion, the worst mistake you can make is breaking a plastic component that holds the sun visors in place. Of course you want the mirror enough and you can afford it, have Honda install the mirror.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I am a first time Honda owner (2006 Civic) and previous Hyundai owner (2 Santa Fe's, a 2000 Elantra that my son still drives) looking around the Accord site for input before I buy a larger sedan i.e. Sonata..Camry...Accord and my take is this: before you dismiss Hyundai so tritely it seems that Honda has its share of problems too and many here recommend the extended warranty Honda sells (for extra money) to take care of problems after the 36K warranty expires. I have never experienced problems on either Hyundai nor has my son at 140,000 miles, OK, I lied, brakes..rotors..tires. Then there is the great warranty Hyundai has, nope, it isn't there because they always break down either, just a nice perk that Honda, with their perceived good reliability, doesn't think is necessary. The last time I looked Honda hasn't closed their service departments either. I realize I am speaking well of Hyundai in the Honda shrine but there you have it. For the record the Civic has some small issues also with only 1600 miles..its OK but I am not in love with it either.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    This topic is for the Honda Accord so yes Hyundai matters should really be discussed elsewhere. There may be a Honda/Hyundai comparison topic. Use the "browse by vehicle" window on the left to find that.

thanks!

Host
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    The "Honda person" took it upon him/her self to denigrate Hyundai so while I certainly know there are Hyundai..Toyota...Chevrolet etc. sites I felt this was the place to answer his/her statement since this is where it came up. Yes, there really are other vehicles, good ones too, other than Honda.