Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 460 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mike001mike001 Member Posts: 15
    I have a sale price of $61,700.oo
    plus sales tax Tag & doc fee which is out the door : $ 66,414.oo
    LS 460 ( 08 ) with Nav ( no M.Lev sound packagethough )
    sounds in line to your deal / final sale price ?
  • traubetraube Member Posts: 28
    sounds good-what is the MSRP?which dealership?
    good deal in your opinion ?
    the MSRP is $68,570.oo
    is that retail price of the LS460 you purchased ?
    the MSRP or retail price was $72435
    base 62000
    comfort pkg 1290
    lexus link 900
    nav/mark lev/ parking 6345
    parking assist 500
    power trunk 395
    accessory pkg 240
    dest charge 765
  • mcribmcrib Member Posts: 19
    Mike,

Judging from your MSRP, you are getting around 6,000 off MSRP. I wouldn't do it, here in Florida you should be easily able to negotiate 2,000-2,400 more than that.
  • mcribmcrib Member Posts: 19
    Err didn't see your sale price before but 8,000 off MSRP is doable here in Florida which would get you at 60,570 + ttl and it is not the end of the month yet. I would keep negotiating.
  • ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    Mike,

I posted the invoice for you! Did you not see it? You stated that the dealer offered you $500 over. It's pretty evident that the actual "factory" invoice and what he told you don't mesh.

Use the 411 I gave you to your advantage. Here's the bottom half of the invoice... again. If he said $500 over, then you should have a selling price of $60,641, which would be ~ $8k off.

VIN .............: JTHBL46F385071032
    --------- --------- ---------
    Total Accessories ...........................: $ 5805.00 $ 4661.00 $ 5805.00
    Destination Charge ..........................: $ 765.00 $ 765.00
    TDA .........................................: $ 775.00
    Dealer Holdback .............................: $ 1240.00
    Whsl. Financial Reserve .....................: $ 620.00
    --------- ---------
    Total ................................ Invoice: $ 60141.00 MSRP: $ 68570.00
    thanks for the direct feeback with specifics on the #'s.
    I am being told this is such a good deal ..ect ..ect ...guys are nice ...the " dance " to get the realistic best price is a pain in the *ss !
    My quoted price is $61,223.oo plus the 500.oo profit the dealer said he'd do the deal for ...so " net net " he says the sell price is $61,723.oo plus TTL...
    guess I'll call another dealer in the state to see what they'll do the same deal for ?
    ~$1600 over on an LS is still a great deal IMO. I'm just curious how the dealer arrived at $61,223 as his invoice? It makes no sense, he's already at ~$1000 over, then wants to add ~$600 as his "profit?" {shaking my head}

Tell him you know the exact invoice, then offer him the "realistic" $500 over. If he claims that the numbers are wrong, tell him you've consulted with a professional.
    this is how he did his version of the Math to get to dealer Invoice:
    MSRP : 68,570.oo
    (he says that MSRP represents a 12% mark up )
    say to obtain dealer's net cost : you divide by 1.12
    says his net dealer invoice / cost is : $61,223.oo
    add: his $500.oo profit and he gets to the $ 61,723.oo

Thanks again for you education & clarification on the real #'s .
    There should be no math equation involved... there is a clear-cut print out from the manufacturer that shows what they paid. Bottom line: He's F.O.S.! Typical line salesman who has almost zero knowledge of his product and pricing. {roll-eyes}

Now that you know the "REAL" invoice, make your offer based on that.

Nothing wrong with being polite, but stay firm... it's your money.

And btw... invoice is not cost. Invoice minus holdback and ad fees is not cost. Only the manufacturer and/or the GM and Owner of the dealership know the true "dead" cost of each individual vehicle.
    Thank you sir !
    I just sent you an email at your yahoo address.
    tks
    just picked up new lexus ls 460 at countyline lexus in florida.The MSRP was 72,435,and the discount
    price was 64,150-they took over $8000 off MSRP.In NY the maximum they would take off was $5000
  • kmbaerkmbaer Member Posts: 20
    Congrats Traube!! You're going to love this car! I just got mine 3 weeks ago from Lexus of Palm Beach. Got the exact configuration of your car in Black Sapphire Pearl/Alabaster. Out of curiosity, what was the "dealer fee" at Countyline? :D
    $699.
    May i ask what kind of discount did you get?
  • kmbaerkmbaer Member Posts: 20
    I got mine for $61,900 plus taxes/fee. I believe the fee was $599. ;)

Saffy
  • a8man1a8man1 Member Posts: 23
    Hello kmbaer,

If your MSRP is $72xxx, and you got a price of $61900, thats over $10,000, how did you pull that off? Am I missing some thing?

Thanks!
  • asolare1asolare1 Member Posts: 31
    Don't assume those large discounts are just available in Florida. The market is getting softer and if you work at it and play the dealers off against each other, you can get the very large discounts off sticker discussed here in the NYC suburbs, even on the LWB model.
  • wabendswabends Member Posts: 102
    In the past, I have always sought suggestions from this forum before making a purchase and it has been very helpful. I need suggestions and recommendations from our knowledgeable members about a decision that I have to make soon. So I am back seeking more advice.

Below are LS 460 models that I am considering;

Vehicle I: 2007 LS 460 with approx. 8000 miles; Comfort plus; Intuitive Parking Assist/Navigation system/Mark Levinson/Advanced Parking Guidance/Lexus link. Original price was $71435; asking price is $62000.

Vehicle II: 2008 LS 460 with 1800 miles; Navigation system/Comfort package/Intuitive Assist. Original price $68305, asking price $63800.

They have the same interior and exterior colors.

Which one is these two is a better deal?
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Wabends
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    The 08 is preferred because it has an updated Nav system--no more "I agree" and there have been less complaints about wind noise on 08 vs 07 models. (Some mods were made to reduce wind noise)
  • daddy21daddy21 Member Posts: 2
    What dealer in the states that is giving the best prices on a ls 460 08 , or 07 used or new . I live in dfw but i see florida got real good deals.
  • daddy21daddy21 Member Posts: 2
    What dealer is this in florida?
    Thanks for your reply. Do you know whether the sound quality is significantly different without the Mark Levinson reference option?

Wabends
    At first glance, neither of those prices seem very agressive IMO, but depending on which region you live in, pricing could definitely flucuate.

Assuming a competitive market, IMO - Vehicle #1 is priced too high. Even if it is a demo, with 8000 miles, it's a used car anyway you look at it and you need to subtract out, at the very minimun, 20% for the first years' depreciation. 25% from it's original MSRP would be advisable.

Let's take vehicle #2: That vehicle which lists at $68,305 (new) had an invoice of ~ $60,000. Now, someone has driven ~2000 miles of depreciation out of it. I'd use the aproxx. new invoice price on that vehicle then subtract out somewhere between .30-.40/mile and use that price as a starting bid.
    Thanks. I live in FL but the vehicles are in MD. 20% off the MSRP for the '07 vehicle will bring it down to approximately $54K. A quick Autotrader search showed that lowest asking price for similarly equipped vehicles is $60K. So, will 20% off be realistic starting point?

I will try your recommendation for the '08 vehicle and see how far that will go. I will post the outcome of my negotiations on this forum.

Wabends
    I had the Levinson system on my 04 LS430, but not on this 07 LS460. I really can't tell the difference (my hearing is far from good), but I also have an override on my Nav system--which means if I had the Levinson, I could watch DVDs while driving. One of the best options to me is XM. I listen to it 99% of the time I am in the car--don't know if the levinson system would improve on the quality of XM sound--but I am very pleased with it the way it is.
    Absolutely! 20% off is not insulting. The prices you see are "asking prices", you have to figure that there is anywhere from 10-20% mark-up on those asking prices as well.

So, take 10% off 60k and you're at 54k.

Best of luck!
    Thanks for the explanation. I am going to start with the 20% reduction in price. Any thoughts about '07 versus '08? In this case the '07 has a few more gizmos than the '08 and I am just wondering whether that makes a difference. I plan to keep this car past the 5-year mark
  • jaibeejaibee Member Posts: 8
    ocautoseeker.....

I just rec'd a quote for a new 08 of $63,000. I'm sure he will go lower. The sticker on it is $68305. What would a good/great purchase price be?
    Just purchased a new LS 460 at countyline lexus in florida.MSRP was 72435,and i received about 8100 off MSRP-I picked up car and it is being shipped to NY-I could find nobody in NY to even come close to this discount.Salesman was exceptionally nice
    That vehicle carries a factory invoice of ~$60k. Offer $60.5k and sign the papers.
    Update:

The manager has lowered the 07 LS 460 that had MSRP of $71453 to $59245 (about 18% discount off MSRP). Is this a good price?
    Is it a demo, or was it previously registered?

If it was previously registered, he could "wholesale" this vehicle out for ~$56k just to break even.

If it's a demo, he's allowing about .40/mile off the vehicle's original invoice. If it is indeed a demo, you're best to negotiate this one as a used car. If it had less than about 3500 miles, the demo pricing would probably work, but not for a car a few k shy of 10k.

Tough call, but I'd still advise a discount of between 20-25%. That's realistic and he'll know it if he checks manheim (auction) prices. You're not insulting or underbidding him with prices within these percentages.

LS460's with similar mileage (less than 12k) are selling at auction for beween $55-$56k (about 25% off original MSRP).

You guys need to meet somewhere between his quoted price and what the vehicle's current market value is.

Good Luck!
    Go for the 08 if only because it is not the first year of a new model--I bought my 07 in June 07--really wish I had waited until Sep07 and bought an 08.
    The vehicle was previously registered.

TMV on Edmunds is approx. $62K and the current offer is $58,148 so I am leaning towards going for it.

Thanks for the detailed information provided.
    I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the TMV price.

$58k is more in the ballpark. Go for it!
  • bobcat63bobcat63 Member Posts: 7
    I posted a message on the other Lexus 460 board, but you appear to be the most dialed in.
    Have you seen a comparison of the costs of the long wheel based vs. short on the LS 460. I saw a post a while back that indicated that the extra standard features on the the L version accounted for most of the price diffrerence, ie Navigaiton and maybe comfort package. Starting the serious looking in Norcal.
    ocautoseeker:

Was leaning towards the '08 but it did not have everything that I wanted. Settled on the Noble Spinel Mica '07 with 6980 miles (Nav/ML/LL/Comfort Plus/Parking Guidance/Intuitive Parking/ etc) for $57.4K. Sold new for $71435. Thanks for your suggestions.

Now, I am waiting for the delivery.
    That's a great price - congrats!
    I personally wouldn't spend the extra money for an L. I think everything you need in a flagship luxury sedan is offered on the SWB. Besides, there are less L's in current inventory, and they don't discount them nearly as aggressively as the SWB.

Hope that helps...
    Here is another interesting experience to share. Before going to the dealership, I had arranged my financing but I wanted to hear what the F&A guys had in stock. So I asked what they could offer in terms of financing. The guy gave me 2 options. Either get a rate of 4.9% or 4.24% if I buy credit life insurance ($1025). This sounded intriguing so I started doing the math. With the higher rate, the monthly payments will be higher and the total interest paid will also be higher. However with the lower rate, even when the cost of the credit life insurance was added, the monthly rate was lower and the total interest was also lower. That was intriguing but I did not take either. Now the question: is it legal to tie rates to credit life insurance?

Wabends
  • msymanmsyman Member Posts: 25
    Hello all. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer. First of all, I am a novice at this, so please be patient. I am looking to buy a new 08 LS460 for my brother who lives in Canada. I went to my local dealer just last week to get an idea of the sticker prices. It seemed there were 3 variations, 64-65, 68 and 72k MSRPs.
    How do I start? Do I bother shopping locally where there is only 1 dealer or do I contact dealers in S Fla where it seems the lowest prices can be had? Do I tell them upfront that I am looking to export the car to Canada and that it will be a cash deal? Is there a way to avoid sales tax in the state of purchase if the vehicle is will not be registered in that state? I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this site.
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    "I am looking to buy a new 08 LS460 for my brother who lives in Canada"

There are going to be a bunch of problems that you have to deal with. First, you don't have to pay the sales tax in Fl (if it is the state that you are going to buy the LS). Sales tax are paid to the state that you register the car. Now the bad news, you need to figure out how to export a car to Canada and pay the sale tax in Canada (US car may or may not meet Canada's regulation). And then there is the issue of warrenty. Canada Lexus is not going to honor the warranty you get by buying a US Lexus.. So you are going to have a mess on your hand in dealing with warrenty service.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    Check out this discussion: Importing Car into Canada from US

A lot of good information there... You buying the car, then selling it your brother is the easy part. His importation of the car is where it gets hard.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• msymanmsyman Member Posts: 25
    My brother has a customs broker who he uses for his business who will do all the paperwork at the border for $80, so that's not a problem. The Canadian Goods and Services taxes get paid when it crosses the border and again, the customs broker would look after that. Next, the Toyota/Lexus warranty is honored in Canada so that's not a problem either. I am more concerned with the mechanics of the buying process, namely, how and where I go about getting the best price for the vehicle and how I get it off the dealer's lot. Should I even bother shopping in the city where I live given that there is only one local Lexus dealer and another one hour away? Or should I buy the car in Florida as it would seem to be the most competitive market given the comments in this forum? Do I need to go down to Florida to shop or can I do everything by email and how do I begin? Finally, how do I get the car off the lot - do I get a temporary tag and drive it north or would it be better to have it shipped it to the NY/Canadian border to save the 1,000-1,500 miles? Thanks.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    - do I get a temporary tag and drive it north or would it be better to have it shipped it to the NY/Canadian border to save the 1,000-1,500 miles?

You should ask your brother does he need a new car with around 1500miles or more on it?

If its a gift to him from you then it wont bother him much but if he is buying you should ask him.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    1) I don't think you have to go to Florida to get a decent deal.. You may have to expand your horizons a couple of hundred miles, to introduce some competition, but IMO, Florida dealers aren't anything special. Not to mention, they are famous for adding undisclosed fees to the price ($599 doc fees?!).

2) As you noted, getting the car across the border is not much of a problem. Getting it modified to meet Canadian regulations, and documenting those modifications might be a much bigger issue (which is why I suggest checking out that other discussion).

3) As far as buying the car? Drop down to your local dealer and take a look at what they have. Once you know which options you are interested in, then you might send a few e-mails to the closest dealers, asking for quotes. You can even try some of those Florida dealerships. Once you have an idea of what seems like a fair price, stop back by your local dealer and make an offer. You might find that you'll come close enough ($500 +/-?) to make it worth buying locally.

4) I don't think you'll be able to get out of paying sales tax.. If you buy it out of state, it's possible that the dealer could ship it to you and give you a non-resident title without paying tax. Your brother would have to check with his customs broker, to see if you can just sign the title over to him.. If so, maybe you can avoid sales tax, but that seems unlikely.

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Florida dealers aren't anything special. Not to mention, they are famous for adding undisclosed fees to the price ($599 doc fees?!).

Yup - they are ridiculous with their doc fees. I'm analyzing a deal for a prospective buyer who just happens to live in Florida - sure enough, the dealer's structure has a $599 doc fee listed. {shaking my head}

$599 to messenger some paperwork - I'll take that job! Haha...
  • bermanslawbermanslaw Member Posts: 6
    I'm new to the forum concept but have already learned much from reading recent posts, so I'm hoping for some sound advice & guidance. I'm coming off a long lease on an MB CL500 (fabulous car) on July 1 and am seriously interested in the "08 LS460 SWB. I've never had a Lexus before. Having moved into Manhattan from the commuting suburbs, I expect my annual mileage to fall well below 10K, though a 7500K lease mileage option may be cutting things a bit close. If I purchase, I will finance. In either event , I never opt for down payments and will pay the sales tax up front. Here are my questions:

1. Manhattan/environs dealer or widen the search? Recent comments suggest that FL dealers are giving great deals while NYC dealers are still pretending the economy's flush, but the prospect of negotiating and taking delivery from afar seems daunting.

2. Wait til summer to make a deal or start now? I can do without a car if needs be til September, so I feel no urgency on that score. Waiting seems like a good bet, given the economy, slowing auto sales volume and rising gas prices, but if there's a gas tax holiday and an unexpected bump in volume, I could find myself with fewer choices as the '09 model year draws near.

3. Purchase or lease? Here, my inquiry relates to which offers the best bang for the buck at the moment in terms of promotions, interest factors, etc.

4. Either way, do I have any realistic chance of making a deal that will keep my monthly payment under $1K without making a down payment? I've read about those prepaid multiple security deposits and wonder whether that is a sensible tactic.

I will welcome your comments. Many thanks.