Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Vue Electrical Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    allyb2,

I understand. Please keep me posted when you have taken the vehicle into your dealership.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • dyahoodyahoo Member Posts: 1
    In case it helps someone.....
    My 2008 Saturn Vue has 130K miles and needed a battery last Saturday. Last crank happened to be at Auto Zone. They put a new one in (said I had to also purchase these little pads things and packet of lubricant for posts - 'Auto Zone battery protocol').
    Thru the week lights have been flashing and car seems to lose power while on the highway.
    Car wouldn't crank (no lights no power no nothing) - then it would crank.
    Onstar diagnostic was not helpful (gave me a different answer each time depending on which light happened to be on at the time I hit the blue button.
    I took Vue in where I purchased it (no longer a Saturn place) they tightened some cables but no longer had a computer to perform diagnostic. They said it sounded like a body control module issue.
    The place I took it next wiped all the lubricant off battery and removed the little pad things and now car works fine! ! !
    Auto Zone's $184 battery protocol cost me a rental car, an hour of labor and a week's worth of anxiety plus lost time from work. (They said it had never happened before....)

But thankfully - the electrical issues were not car related they were battery related.
  • cr15tycr15ty Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my 09 Vue in March, and it has been in the shop twice with blinking lights and alarm bells going off. It is dead now. Did you get yours fixed, or what happened to it? Did GM come up with a solution? I would really like to fix this pain in my bum!
    cr15ty,
    I apologize for your concerns. Has your dealer involved technical assistance? Please keep me updated on your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • dad1311dad1311 Member Posts: 1
    i just started having the same problem, did you find out the problem
  • goferrisgoferris Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2011
    I have a 2009 Saturn Vue (purchased new from dealership and I am original owner). I treat it well and it's stored in a cooled and covered garage. No battery issues ever before. Yesterday, the battery died (Yes, I got stranded because my car wouldn't start!). I was able to charge it all night and this morning it barely turned. It doesn't charge when I drove it to the dealership (barely made it there!). Now, the dealer says the battery was deffective, but they won't cover replacement even though the battery is only 2.5 years old and I'm still within the 36 months of my warranty. Has anyone else had this problem? Seems like a piece of crap to have a dead battery (that won't be replaced under warranty) already. A dead battery within less than 3 years? What has anyone done? I'm ready to sell the car--I can't drive it now anyway!
  • bbbuffbbbuff Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday, smoke from the sunroof area started coming in the vehicle. My wife was about 40miles from home taking a summer class and had to call campus police and the local fire department in case of fire. Luckily, the car did not catch on fire and there is no visible damage. We did take the vehicle to the local Chevy dealer and they are looking into the issue. We are waiting on their response. Before the horrendous smell and smoke started, the dome lights and visor lights were flickering and the area around windshield and visor was extremely hot, as well as around the dome area. My guess is there is a major electrical problem and the smoke could only get out through a small opening by the sunroof. The insurance will not say if they will cover repairs due to it might be classified as 'wear and tear.' This is definitely NOT 'wear and tear' as this car is only 2.5 years old and we bought it brand new. Is this a common problem? Has this occurred in any other Saturn Vue 2009? This is a true fire danger as the car could've caught on fire, and most importantly it could've injured my wife!
  • cwinter82cwinter82 Member Posts: 2
    I was driving when all of a sudden my radio shut off, the lights all went out on the dash, none of the gauges worked and power steering went. My initial diagnosis would have been the bcm or possibly a bad ground. I took it into a local gm dealer. They let me know it was NOT the bcm or any bad grounds but a short in the system. It has been a few days and they cannot trace the problem and I am starting to get worried that there is no light at the end of this tunnel or if there is that they are going to charge me way to much for a car that is 8 years old. I don't have a sunroof like many users have had on here when dealing with an electrical issue. Any help from gm service would greatly appreciated.
  • cwinter82cwinter82 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a call from the dealership. They found the issue. There was a wire that burnt through in the firewall and shorted out against the frame. They were very understanding and are only charging me less than $300 even though they spent a good 15-20 hours on it trying to trace the short.
  • lmc8lmc8 Member Posts: 1
    This is exactly what happened to me today on my 2008 Vue. Did you get it resolved? Was it the battery or did it end up being a starter relay, or even something else? Roadside assistance told me today it was the battery after they gave me a jump, but 2 hours later it would not start again. The power is all screwed up - the lights will come on (dim) one time, off the next, the dash board lights the same thing. Makes a clicking sound as well when I turn the key. This car has been this way from the start. I'm ready to sell as well, which is a real bummer. This is my 4th Saturn, and the first 3 were fabulous. This one, not so much.
  • goferrisgoferris Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, same thing with me except i didn't have any warnings. Ended up being a defective battery, which I had to fight with the dealer (and Saturn) about warranty replacement. Ultimately, had to take it to a third-party. $130 for new battery. I did call AC Delco to complain also since they warranty their batteries for 5-6 years usually. The phone rep told me that they don't warranty GM batteries for the same length because GM buys in bulk and stores em in conditions that severely limit their life prior to even putting them in the vehicles. My personal advice is to take it to a non-dealer for a full battery replacement.....unless you're still in your 36,000 mile warranty.
    lmc8,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on taking the vehicle to a GM dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep me posted on any information.

Thank you,
  • cr15tycr15ty Member Posts: 2
    I don't know what the dealer has done, but the last time it broke down, a mechanic in town pointed out the main power connector that goes to the fuse box from battery was broken. The post itself was disconnected. Because the dealer is in a different city, I ordered a new fuse block and installed it myself. So far it has been driving well, though I still don't really trust it. I don't know what happened to fry the post out. Thanks for checking on the situation,
    Cristy
    Cristy,

Thank you for the update. Glad to hear your vehicle is driving well. Please let me know if you experience any problems.

Thank you and have a great day,
  • swhite4swhite4 Member Posts: 1
    did you find the problem?
  • oldschidcoldschidc Member Posts: 1
    Yeah, my 2008, with less than 25,000, the intermittent wipers quit, hazards quit, turn signals quit, fog lamps quit, I checked the fuses of course none were burnt out, so now I'm taking it to firestone to see whats happening.
  • gpotts007gpotts007 Member Posts: 1
    Daughter car has same problem....firestone diagnosed as bad body control module....I seriously doubt this is problem...estimated cost $800. She as 2004 vue with 60,000 miles. I am taking to gm dealer tomorrow!
  • samanthajosamanthajo Member Posts: 1
    So, today I was driving my 2003 Saturn Vue on the highway and suddenly every 30 seconds, the security light would flash and the dash lights would flash with it. I figured I'd stop at the next gas station and check the fuse, because I've heard of that problem before. Then all of the sudden all of the lights, including the dashboard and radio, went out except for the headlights, and the engine cut out and I had to pull over to the side of the road. Tried restarting my car, the gauges wouldn't work, the power steering wouldn't kick in, but the engine would start with the service light on. I got out of my car to make a phone call, got back in, and the alarm started going off. Silenced it with the remote... Then I pulled a few fuses that would've made sense, but nothing worked, so I started pulling some that made no sense at all, and VOILA! Everything kicked back on. Decided to head back home instead of go on a road trip in a screwed up car, and thought I was home free until it did it again. TWICE in 20 miles. I've already dealt with a blown transmission, constantly squeaky sway bars no matter how much I lubricate them, and I just want out of this 4000 dollar car that I owe 10 grand on. I feel screwed over, and just wish I had a car that could go a month without some kind of money sucking issue. GM has never created a worse demon. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • 2005_vue_awd2005_vue_awd Member Posts: 1
    Had same problem as many here on our 2005 Vue AWD. Also, same fix as a couple of you. Turned out to be the original battery. When I checked the battery it had 12.5V; however, when I disconnected and started it with my other car's battery, it was absolutely fine. Installed a new battery and everything was fine. Although a battery may show you 12.5V, that does not mean it has a good charge and can deliver the amperes required to power your ECUs, starter, fuel pump, and other high power drawing components. It was the OEM battery and lasted 6 years - perfectly acceptable, just a sudden and strange death.

I think this can happen (resulting in power loss as well as lights) while driving, because although the althernator can supply the power you need, it still has to pass through the battery. So, if one or many of the battery cells has a major problem, it will not transfer the amperes you need.
  • cclandiscclandis Member Posts: 1
    I have never had any issues with my 2008 Vue until 3 weeks ago. Three weeks ago I came out of work and my car was dead. My hubby came to work with the intent of jumping it and managed to get it started by playing with the shifter and turning off the AC. Took it right to your mechanic who diagnosed a new battery was needed. This was the first time the battery was replaced and the car has 100,000 miles on it. I bought it new.
    Fast forward ot 2 days ago.... Drive to work and come out in the afternoon and find none of my gauges working, radio going on and off and turn signals not working. Car was running fine and AC was too. Took it right to the garage again to have the check fuses, battery and alternator and all checked out ok. They also couldn't get it to "talk" to their diagnostic computer. Left it sit there over night and next day they got it to communicate and it was dignosed with a BCM failure. Spent just over $600 on a new BCM plus a battery three weeks prior. After reading everyone's comments about their own issues, i'm wondering if its worth pursuing this with GM for reimbursement. This BCM issues seems very widespread across many model years. Mechanic actually suggested trading it based on all the electrical issues that are posted online but we're not in any position to that at this time.

Has anyone contacted GM about this issue and have you ever gotten a response?
  • crystally83crystally83 Member Posts: 2
    I am having an issue with my 2008 Saturn Vue XR. while driving home from doing errands a few days ago, my tire pressure monitor light and airbag light came on. that was followed by the outline of the car with the wrench inside (which i call the "fix it now" light). then after 2 minutes of driving, my tachometer and spedometer both fell to zero, followed shortly by my turn signals not working. i tried to turn on the hazard lights just in case i needed to pull over, and they would not work either. then my radio and a/c both shut off simultaneously. i was able to get the car into our garage at home since the total trip was only 10 minutes, but i was confused about what could be wrong. after talking with a few people, it seemed that the alternator could be an issue. a friend's husband came over and tested the battery and it was charging at the appropriate level, and none of the issues i had were present at that time. he said that it could possibly be a coil in the alternator that had overheated, and now that it was cool, it may not be an issue any more. i am nervous to drive the car with my two small kids in it, bc i don't want to get stuck on the side of the road. any advice or anyone with similar issues???? please help!!!!
  • pepevtapepevta Member Posts: 1
    I just replace my battery for the second time in my 08 Vue. After replacing it I noticed that the exterior lamp control (headlight switch) and hazard light button lights were on all the time. I've never noticed these being on before without the dash lights on. Is this normal or did something happen when I replaced the battery?
    crystally83,

Were you planning on having the vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealership? Please keep me posted on any information.

Thank you,
  • crystally83crystally83 Member Posts: 2
    The vehicle seems perfectly normal. we had it tested at our local chevy dealership and were told nothing is wrong. we basically have to wait until it happens again, which is very stressful due to the fact that i have two small children that go with me everywhere. we are considering trading in the vehicle so that we don't have to deal with any problems that pop up in the near future. also, are you aware that a re-manufactured alternator for this vehicle is nearly $500? with parts and labor, we were facing a $750 bill. if i had been aware that it would be so expensive to replace simple parts that are known to wear out over time, we never would have bought this car in the first place.
  • tpeepstpeeps Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used "Certified" 2008 Saturn Vue thinking I was making a wise a investment. I was wrong !
    Jan. 2011 CD Player non functional and right wheel pops
    Service center takes
    8 hrs to tell me they have to order the radio and greased the joints? of the wheel
    Feb. 2011 ABS sensor goes out
    Service center has to order the parts for replacement
    June. 2011 Middle heat vent wont adjust and right wheel clanking and rattling now!
    Service center has to order new vent and replacement strut kit
    Jul. 2011 Large oil leak around engine / steering wheel squeaking / Door handle peeling off and cutting hands.
    Of course order parts and tear down my engine to get to the leak. Steering gear replaced and door handle.
    Aug. 2011 Dead battery! Barely starts after three attempts to crank it.
    Replaced battery
    Sept. 2011 Front right wheel again making popping noise AGAIN!!!! Vehicle also idling high and sounds like a mac truck on a cold start / Steering wheel squeaking AGAIN!!!!!!!
    Bushsing replaced and front lower control arm. Left rear cradle bracket bolt found to be loose.
    I am now known by name at this certified dealership. I'm afraid of keeping this suv due to all the problems I have had with it. I love the look and features this suv has but I feel I got the assembly line reject. I'm trapped in a unreliable vehicle that I knowI can't afford to REBUILD out of pocket. GM I'm so disappointed in this vehicles quality. Anyone have any suggestions for my situation my warranty is up in January 2012 or 6,000 miles.
  • possum37possum37 Member Posts: 1
    For about a year or so now, when my left knee pressed against the driver door, the internal dome light would blink on and off. I fixed that by simply turning it off, but it's a pain not having the car light up at night when I open the door.

The bigger issue is that between last night and this morning, the odometer jumped from 56600 to 762600. From what I'm reading, it seems I may need to find someone to replace the cluster. Any others have thoughts on this?
    tpeeps,
    I apologize for your concerns and frustrations. I would like to set up a case for you with GM Customer Assistance. Can you please email me with your VIN, complete contact information including mailing address, current mileage, and dealer involved? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • normy2normy2 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2008 VUE new and within 2 months I started to experience electrical problems. Teh battery continued to run dead for no reason. The VUE dealership did change the battery, however the probem continued intermitendly. Everytime I brought it back to the dealership and now a GM dealership, they kept saying it was due to the fact I instaleld a after factory remote starter and radio, though they had absolutely no proof to back this statement up and explain why these two were related. The problem has become increasingly worse where in the past month I have had to ge boosted 4 times. I will drive someplace, turn the ignition off, return to the vehicle two minutes later and it will not start. All other electrical systems seem to work, but I cannot get the engine to turn over without a boost.
  • tamara3tamara3 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2011
    I purchased a Used 2006 Saturn Vue V6 Jan 2011. I have been having problems with brakes, acceleration, stalling, dash lights and now inclining issues from the first day of purchase. Months and weeks went by with negotiations with their Lawyer until they agreed it was a problem before I purchased the car.
    The new issues is after the dealership kept my car for one month, When I am driving on a incline it makes a grinding sound and has problems shifting into gear. At random My SUV would just shut off on the highway which put me as well as my son in a dangerous situation. After months of going back and forth with the dealership not being able to mimic the problem it was finally discovered after they had it for one week 08 Sept 2011. I received the car back 08 Oct 2011 and after two days immediately took the car back to the dealership after having a new issue of the car having inclining issues. When I try to go up a hill or incline it makes a grinding sound. At random the dash lights will come on and off. They could not hear how rough the cars sounds nor could they mimic the problem because the time they had it was 10 minutes and the drive they did had not contained any hills.
    When I accelerate it jerks until it gets in gear. I called the dealership and they will get it back in on 25 October 2011.
    The issues started the day I brought my used Saturn Vue from the dealership from rotors and drums, key ignitions, stalling, dash lights and computer issues. They fixed the Engine Control Module and brakes free of charge. But then the other items are starting to go hay wire. Not only is it having the issues mention it is also sounds like a super reared up sports car. Meaning very loud muffler sounds under the hood.
    I am beginning to think this car was a lemon. I spoke to one of the salesman at the dealership where I purchased my used vue and was told the reason it was trade was due to the issues I am having. Why would you put someone is a dangerous and pricey situation.
    I think GM needs to recall the Saturn Vue Key ignition and computers issues these cars are having before it ends in a fatality. Oh I forgot they do not make Saturn’s anymore. So what is our recourse? Most of this issue may not be the dealership fault due to this being a manufacturing issue. Although the dealerships should have done a better job on checking on their used cars.
    Looks Like I am stuck with payments I can afford but repairs I cannot. What do you do? I will be upside down trading this SUV and the dealership doesn’t want the problem back.
    Will GM fix these mechanical issues or will I suffer?
    When I joined the military they taught me the most important thing I live by everyday to make a difference. Integrity first, Service before self, and excellence in all we do.
    It sad that not all live by the same quote and people like me have to suffer with the burdens of others morality ethical and integrity issues.

This car is a safety concern and someone needs to address it.
    On 17 Sept 2011 my Saturn Vue stalled (cut off) in the middle of 135 during Dallas Traffic. My son and I got out of the car before a Diesel almost collided with us.
    Who else is having these issues? What do we do? I am fortunate enough to live down from my base and I do not have far to drive. But I will not trust this on any Highways. And now I am responsible for everything happening to this car I have only owned for 8 months. It has been in the shoe over 20 times in eight months with the first being 2 days I have I purchased it and now I am due back in again tomorrow for the same issues that are ongoing.
    The Dealership wants me to take a loss and trade it which they will only give me 7000.00 they will not buy this lemon back. Then told me I need 4000.00 down before they can help me. They sold me a lemon because they did not do the thorough check of this vehicle before giving it to another person. I went to JAG and they are sayings it’s a Civil Issue and there is not lemon laws in KS for used cars.
    What do we do for Justice!!!???
    Help if you have any suggestions on what I can do before a fatality happens in this SUV.

replace since Fed 2011

Battery
    front brake rotors pads-still squeeks but I learned to live with it -over 200 my cost
    back brake drums pads* dealer paid
    2 new tires-I paid
    engine control modual-I paid
    computer chip rest-dealer paid
    fuse-Dealer paid
    oil and transmission flush-I paid
    Battery-Dealer paid

and still having issues...............................................GM

I can't afford any more cost but what I am finding out this model had issues from the manufacture.
    edited October 2011
    I purchased a Used 2006 Saturn Vue V6 Jan 2011 VIN 5GZCZ63466S866995. I have been having problems with brakes, acceleration, stalling, dash lights and now inclining issues from the first day of purchase. Months and weeks went by with negotiations with their Lawyer until they agreed it was a problem before I purchased the car.
    The new issues is after the dealership kept my car for one month, When I am driving on a incline it makes a grinding sound and has problems shifting into gear. At random My SUV would just shut off on the highway which put me as well as my son in a dangerous situation. After months of going back and forth with the dealership not being able to mimic the problem it was finally discovered after they had it for one week 08 Sept 2011. I received the car back 08 Oct 2011 and after two days immediately took the car back to the dealership after having a new issue of the car having inclining issues. When I try to go up a hill or incline it makes a grinding sound. At random the dash lights will come on and off. They could not hear how rough the cars sounds nor could they mimic the problem because the time they had it was 10 minutes and the drive they did had not contained any hills.
    When I accelerate it jerks until it gets in gear. I called the dealership and they will get it back in on 25 October 2011.
    The issues started the day I brought my used Saturn Vue from the dealership from rotors and drums, key ignitions, stalling, dash lights and computer issues. They fixed the Engine Control Module and brakes free of charge. But then the other items are starting to go hay wire. Not only is it having the issues mention it is also sounds like a super reared up sports car. Meaning very loud muffler sounds under the hood.
    I am beginning to think this car was a lemon. I spoke to one of the salesman at the dealership where I purchased my used vue and was told the reason it was trade was due to the issues I am having. Why would you put someone is a dangerous and pricey situation.
    I think GM needs to recall the Saturn Vue Key ignition and computers issues these cars are having before it ends in a fatality. Oh I forgot they do not make Saturn’s anymore. So what is our recourse? Most of this issue may not be the dealership fault due to this being a manufacturing issue. Although the dealerships should have done a better job on checking on their used cars.
    Looks Like I am stuck with payments I can afford but repairs I cannot. What do you do? I will be upside down trading this SUV and the dealership doesn’t want the problem back.
    Will GM fix these mechanical issues or will I suffer?
    When I joined the military they taught me the most important thing I live by everyday to make a difference. Integrity first, Service before self, and excellence in all we do.
    It sad that not all live by the same quote and people like me have to suffer with the burdens of others morality ethical and integrity issues.

This car is a safety concern and someone needs to address it.
    On 17 Sept 2011 my Saturn Vue stalled (cut off) in the middle of 135 during Dallas Traffic. My son and I got out of the car before a Diesel almost collided with us.
    Who else is having these issues? What do we do? I am fortunate enough to live down from my base and I do not have far to drive. But I will not trust this on any Highways. And now I am responsible for everything happening to this car I have only owned for 8 months. It has been in the shoe over 20 times in eight months with the first being 2 days I have I purchased it and now I am due back in again tomorrow for the same issues that are ongoing.
    The Dealership wants me to take a loss and trade it which they will only give me 7000.00 they will not buy this lemon back. Then told me I need 4000.00 down before they can help me. They sold me a lemon because they did not do the thorough check of this vehicle before giving it to another person. I went to JAG and they are sayings it’s a Civil Issue and there is not lemon laws in KS for used cars.
    What do we do for Justice!!!???
    Help if you have any suggestions on what I can do before a fatality happens in this SUV.
    tamara3,
    Thank you for your service in the military. I show there is an open Customer Satisfaction Program for your vehicle. I would recommend speaking with the dealer to have this taken care of. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance about your concerns? If not I would recommend opening up a case with GM Customer Assistance. I would be more than happy to assist you in doing so. Please feel free to email me. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I have attempted 10 times to get thru on your GM customer service website but I keep getting an error HTTP. What open customer service ticket are you refering to? Please advise how to contact.

The dealership I am working it is not Affilated with GM.

Please advise?
    yes please assist this issue. I have tried to find this Customer Satisfaction Program and can not.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    Click on gmcustsvc membername for their e-mail address..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dbochappelldbochappell Member Posts: 1
    We have been having a problem with our Vue for about a year. 2 mechanics and our local GM dealer have been unable to diagnose. We have replaced the Fuel filter, ignition (it has been rekeyed), crank sensor, cam sensor, rear coil bank, plugs and plug wires, and the ignition control module. The car dies without warning while driving, at any speed. No sputtering, just dies, while still rolling you can put car in neutral and restart it, might take 2 or 3 tries. The service engine light does come on, flashes at times. It has given signal to the Body Control Module and the PCM(?)...but the GM dealer said neigther of those was the problem. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • bridg317bridg317 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am hoping someone can help me. I financed an used 2003 Saturn Vue from a dealer in March 2011, after about three months I started to hear loud noises, the car just reached 100,000 miles so I had to fix the alternator, and both bearings on the left side. I still hear the loud noises and the Service Engine light keeps coming on. Well after discovering this website, I called the GM dealer and they told me that the transmission was recalled and it was covered for only 75,000 miles. Well, my question is, if the dealer took responsiblity of this car, is it their legal responsiblity to fix the transmission? My mechanic did a test to the car and stated that the loud noise is coming from the E-vap emission and the transmission. Please help. I do not waqnt to get stuck paying about $2,000 for a new transmission on a car I am still financing.
  • trouter300trouter300 Member Posts: 1
    Wow, this sounds crazy, but my 2002 Vue just started doing some crazy things that, from what I read, is without a doubt a body control module issue (bcm). It first started a week ago, when I noticed my ebrake light was lit on my dash. A few days later came the seatbelt light along with the brake light. These would flash intermittently then stop. The next day I added to the mix my ignition/seatbelt chime (the one that rings when you first turn on the car) started to sound like someone was choking it to death. The next day I noticed my dash speedometer and rpm gauge going up and down, gas gauge goes flat, service light flashing. Now, today......power steering went in and out along with the other dash light, guage and chime issues. Funny thing is that the bcm had a recall when I first bought it in 2002/2003. They replaced it and right after I got the car back my gas mileage went from an amazing 42 per gallon to about 30 in the city. I Am still pretty peeved. BCM replacement is about 550 in Colorado. Why can't I find a more inexpensive route. Why doesn't GM acknowledge this and recall this part?
  • mia09mia09 Member Posts: 4
    I am really concerned now with all of the postings that I am reading that are similar to mine experience. I have 2009 Saturn Vue that I bought just 1 year ago. After purchasing the car I saw the lights flicker inside of the car a couple of times, but not consistently or for long periods of time. It is so quick you could miss it. A couple of months ago my all of the gauge signals lit up in my car and I slowly lost power. First, my lights were flickering, then the radio and signal and brake lights went out. It was a really safety issue. I had my daughter in the on my way to taking her to school. I was terrified that someone would run into the back of us because I had no break lights or signals working. Once I made it safely to her school, I immediately called the dealer that I purchased the car from. I took it in. They determined it was the battery and charge me $210 to replace the battery and the connecting cables.

Flash forward to now. I recently saw my interior lights flicker a couple of times briefly recently. Again, it was fast and barely noticeable. My vehicle is now parked in my garage. I drove it into my garage and parked with no indication of a problem. Now it won't start. I tried to jump it, but nothing is working. The lights, radio and gauge signals will come on with the jumper cables attached, but the engine will not come on. With the jumper cables all of the dashboard readings turn off, signaling everything is fine, except for the engine symbol. Given that I have just purchased a brand new battery I am getting really frustrated. It is right before Christmas, my husband is deployed in Afghanistan so I cannot afford to invest money into a 2009 car. We bought the car so that he could be assured that we wouldn't have car problems while he was away.

I really love the car when it is working. But, now I am worried that I am going to have to eventually get rid of it so that I can drive my children and myself around safely. First thing tomorrow morning I am calling for the roadside assistance to take it to the nearest certified dealership that works on Saturns. However, given the numerous complaints about the electrical system I will also be seeking to find out what my rights are legally and will research what avenues to take to make sure that my car is properly fixed. Some have commented about class action suits. I hope that I can get help before I have to go to that measure. The battery should not be dead after a couple of months. Something is definitely wrong.
    edited November 2011
    With all of the people describing the same problem with the Body Control Module is GM planning on paying to replace this part? I don't have $800 right before Christmas to pour into this car after replacing the battery 2 months ago. I have a 2009 Saturn Vue.
  • tlt68tlt68 Member Posts: 3
    About 3 years ago I was having a problem with my car--the spedometer would drop to zero while I was driving, most of the dashboard lights would come on an stay on, the steering wheel would get tight while I was driving making it hard to turn. One day my car wouldn't start. The dealership told me after 3 days of having the car that "an animal chewed my wires". I didn't bellieve it because the car worked in the morning, and only after about 4 hours it wouldn't start. When I finally got the car back I started having issues with the dashboard. After about 6 months of being in the shop, they finally came to the conclusion it was the Body Control Module. Luckily this was right before my warranty was up.

I honestly think there should have been a major recall on these cars. It's dangerous. I thought I was the only one having these types of problems, but after reading these post I can see it's an even bigger problem. No wonder Saturn isn't in business anymore.
  • jmichellejmichelle Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    Wow... I can't believe they are not issuing a recall. There is not need to go over what is wrong with my 2009 Saturn Vue XR, you have all done a great job listing the issues in your posts. Electrical meltdowns... Really saddened by all of this! I would like to know what can be done about this. Clearly this part is defective.
    jmichelle,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with your dealer of choice? Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Please feel free to email me with a description of your concerns, complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I would be happy to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I am updating my previous post. This morning my car was towed to a GM approved service center for my Saturn Vue. The car is still dead. They removed the battery (only 2 months old) and charged it outside of the car. The battery was able to hold a charge. Initially the service technition thought something had happened to the car or the battery was causing the problem. He now thinks the car is drawing on or draining the battery because of some malfunction in the car. He asked to keep it overnight to better assess what is going on. My mom is coming for Thanksgiving and I don't have a car to pick her up in. This is really frustrating. I called the GM Corp. Customer Service Center and filed a formal complaint. I was given a service number. When I inquired about what I can do with that number they said they would have to investigate first. Wish me luck that something positive comes of the diagnostic testing going on at the service center. :sick:
  • rahcjhrahcjh Member Posts: 1
    hello, my auto did exactly the same thing today and this is the 2nd time this has happened. my husband put a small charger on the battery for half hour and it started right up and appears to be okay. what is happening? just read mia09 post and wonder who else has had this problem?
    After reading all of the postings I am convinced that it is the Body Control Module. I just wish they would be done with this and just recall the cars or the part. It is embarrassing to have taken a risk to buy a car from a company that is no longer producing cars and have it turn out this way. I have a lot of regret. I enjoyed my car for a while, but now I am very disappointed. I am not sure I will ever buy an American car again based on this experience. I would encourage you to report this to the GM Customer Service Department. No one wants to live driving in fear because you think your car is going to fail out of the blue. :cry:
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Mia09,

I see you are currently working with Customer Service on this. Looking forward to an update on how this progresses for you.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • madison06madison06 Member Posts: 3
    Wow, ok I thought it was me I purchase my 2008 saturn vue back on July 2009. Every since I left Saturn of Mesquite I have had issues with this truck from the check engine light coming on, the tracking light, gas light staying on, my blinker didn't work and them breaking the lash to my hood. I would run to them so much I just got tried. Now today I tried backing up in my garage and I have no power this is no cool and I want to know what do they plan on doing about it. They lied and said the car was never wreck and it was. It probably wasn't reported but you could look at the paint job and tell. Could any one give me any suggestions on what to do? :sick:
    Wow, ok I thought it was me I purchase my 2008 saturn vue back on July 2009. Every since I left Saturn of Mesquite I have had issues with this truck from the check engine light coming on, the tracking light, gas light staying on, my blinker didn't work and them breaking the lash to my hood. I would run to them so much I just got tried. Now today I tried backing up in my garage and I have no power this is no cool and I want to know what do they plan on doing about it. They lied and said the car was never wreck and it was. It probably wasn't reported but you could look at the paint job and tell. Could any one give me any suggestions on what to do? How can a company just do this to people?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Madison06,

Will you please email us more information (including your name/username and the last 8 of your VIN)?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I just email you let me know if there is anything else you need. I just can't believe I am going through this when there were signs back when I purchased this truck and no one helped me.