Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GM Speedometer lawsuit filed

Comments

• lp4everlp4ever Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Tahoe and in 2006 the speedometer went out. In 2009 the oil gauge went out. Now my RPM and gas gauge are going out. In 2006 I got the recall notice but I was 10,000 miles over the millage for free repair and Chevy wouldn't fix it. I love Chevy cars but this is rediculous. I was told to trade it in for a Toyota cuz they don't have these kind of problems.....
  • clintb812clintb812 Member Posts: 1
    I had similar discussions w/ GM yesterday (2-25-10) and they were very hesitate and skirted giving any website or "investigation" information, other than that the NHTSA & GM had settled an "investigation" titled "instrumental panel cluster guage needle function". The reason for my inquiry is that i have 3 2004 Chevy's in my company fleet that are all having this problem. 2 of my employees received speeding tickets, 2 each, 1 received 2 on the same day-boy did he feel stupid. We have already paid out of pocket for the replacement of the cluster on that Silverado. I still have an Impala and another Silverado that we have yet to fix. The GM lady told me that only my remaining Silverado falls under the proper parameters to meet the "extended warranty agreement" but that this extended warranty only covers to 80k miles. The parameters or reasons for risk are categorized under the vehicles VIN number. All 3 of the vehicles are over 130k miles. However, I asked why was i not informed that this was a possible risk, therefore allowing me to have the clusters fixed prior to reaching 80k miles and she said this was because "not all vehicles are experiencing this problem." (I have 3 2004 GMC/Chevys and all 3 are having the problem-however, they all started having the problem this past fall 2009 and were at or over 130K). Very convenient and very coincidental. I am 50 years old and have probably owned 40-50 vehicles in my life and have never had a speedometer problem until now I have 3 at the same time and they all are 2004 Chevys. I am not done dealing with this. PS: The lady asked, after our long and apparently useless conversation, "if there was anything else she could help me with", which I responded, "you haven't helped me w/ anything so far so I guess not." So she said, "Thank you for being a Chevy customer." and I responded "No, you mean, thank you for being a PAST Chevy customer." And we wonder why we have over 10% unemployment and have to bail out our mega-corporations.
  • rougraffrougraff Member Posts: 2
    I was told that if you take the car in during the warrenty/recall period, but there is no problem with the speedometer, etc, at the time you take it in, they will not replace anything. So, it seems unfair that when you do later have the problem, (which seems to be what's happening to most of us) the 70,000 mile limit allows them to once again deny responsibility. Somehow, Chevy is getting around taking care of this for most people experiencing the problem, because of all the loopholes they have created for themselves!! My car has 90,000 miles now. I did go ahead and have the problem fixed at my own expense. Couldn't stand not knowing how fast I was going...and even more annoying, running out of gas, because I had no idea when I was getting low on fuel. After the 3rd time, I was done!! Bad Chevy!!
  • harleydogharleydog Member Posts: 1
    I am 54 years old and have owned Chevy all my life, new & used.I now have a 2004 silverado 1500 the speedometer went out.The oil gauge went out. And now the RPM gauge is going out.I am currently trying to get my 04 silverato fixed. That is around $500.00.dollars. Will that go out to?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Read the forum for URL's of repair shops, which will fix your dash much cheaper than your 500 bucks.

I know one has a U-tube video of how to pop the dash out, takes just a couple minutes and is easy.
  • RON112470RON112470 Member Posts: 4
    For $40 bucks on Ebay, you can get the 6 stepper motors you need to fix gauges. I did just that but I only fixed the Speedometer gauge, and now my Oil guage is messed up and my volts has been acting up too. So now I am going to take it apart which is easier than I thought it would be. Just need to know how it comes apart. So if there is a video of it, It will be very simple for you to do. Just must be careful when sodering because there are circuits close to the sodering location. A nice fine point on your gun is needed.
  • kingdvbkingdvb Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2010
    Yes, you can repair them yourself if you have the proper equipment and correct type solder. To me its not worth the chance of messing up a $300 IPC board. I have researched many online and local repair centers. I found one today near my home. Brian's Speedometer Repair in Muldrow OK. I also found his store on EBAY as well- See the link below or search ebay for that name.

http://stores.ebay.com/BRIANS-SPEEDODOMETER-REPAIR-CENTER_CLUSTER-REPAIR-SERVICE- - _W0QQ_fsubZ616645015QQ_sidZ288060575QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

It is extremely easy to remove the cluster unit from the dash. If you can use a butter knife and a socket, it takes about 5 minutes to remove the cluster from the dash (Follow the Video on Youtube or at Southern Electronics Web site :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjvTdTHdTP8

You need a flat butter knife from your silverware drawer in the kitchen to pop the trim cover off and a 7mm socket with a 6" extension to remove the 4 screws. pull the cluster out, unhook the electrical cable and the cluster can be removed.

Take the entire unit (or mail it) to the repair center of your choice. It is that easy.

I just got back from Brian's shop in Muldrow and he fixed my entire cluster on my 2004 Tahoe for $80 (since I brought it in). Took about 20 minutes for a complete rebuild, calibration and electronic verification check. He did it while I waited. He even fixed a burned out dash light on the cluster. He actually replaces all of the cluster lights. Everything is backed with a lifetime warranty.

I re-installed and everything works great. I wish I had found Brian 6 months back. It is much better than using a GPS - ha ha. :)

:mad: Don't get screwed by the GM dealers. It is disgraceful how they are ripping people off to fix the problem they created. This will be my last GM vehicle I ever own.

Good Luck
    dale
  • momtofourmomtofour Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    Thank you so much for this post. I have a 2003 Suburban and have been experiencing random speedometer problems. I just squeaked by with all the requirements to have my Instrument Cluster replaced for free by our GM dealer.

I took it in today so that they could hook it up to a computer and verify that there was an "error code/number" associated with the Instrument Cluster.

They are ordering the part today and should be able to install it towards the end of the week. I will also be getting my second row center seat belt loop fixed (clipped/sewn shut) due to another recall notice I apparently missed receiving:

Recall ID 2005037
    Second Row Center Seat Belt Loop

Anyway, THANK YOU!!!! You saved us money that we cannot afford to part with these days.
  • imacargirlimacargirl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Tahoe that now has a little over 100,000 miles on it. The speedometer went out around 90,000. I've been afraid to go have it fixed because of the cost and now in reading the posts I see there's been a recall. Even though I've not changed addresses since I bought the car, I didn't not receive a notification of a recall. I am going to call our dealer and see what they have to say about it.
  • hdgal3hdgal3 Member Posts: 7
    I live in Kentucky and need to know if anyone knows of a reputable place to get my speedo fixed.I need all gauges replaced.
    edited July 2010
    Read back thru these Edmund forums, a number of individuals have posted their success with different mail away repair locations.

I know a while ago there was a posting, where there was a video on the vendors website which actually showed the process to remove the cluster, and install the repaired cluster. Appears to be fairly simple and straighforward process.
  • whitetigerwhitetiger Member Posts: 1
    I have 2004 silverado 2500hd bought it 3 years ago right after I got it I got A letter about some of them having problems with the speedometer if you had over 70,000 miles it wouldnt be covered well I had over that as I bought it used and speedometer was okay till the following year now it works when ever it wants I called the dealership and they informed me it would cost me over 800 to fix it I dont make that kind of money so im still driving it that way after 2 years I think they should issue a recall and fix them
    All,
    I know it feels good to vent about GM (Government Motors). As you can see from my previous posts, I did my share. But forget about GM from taking responsibility. They would not even pay off their direct debtors. They are so many billions in debt, they will be avoiding responsibility for many years to come I assure you. :lemon:

If you refer to my post #280, you will find a reference to a repair shop that took care of my speedometer for less than $100. :D He replaced all of the gauges and gauge lights - not just the speedometer gauge. You can find his business on ebay if you want to send in the unit, or you can take it by is shop if you live in the Muldrow, OK area. Honest guy making an honest living. Unlike most of the GM dealerships who charge $500-$900 to make this 20 minute repair.

It is shameful what GM is doing to loyal customers such as those on these post. This is why I am switching all of my business over to Ford. At least Ford pays their bills, accept their responsibility and make money the old fashioned way - they earn it. :)
  • dominic9dominic9 Member Posts: 1
    tach and speedometer stuck, is this a recall? and is it hard to repair if i do it myself
    See reply #280 and some of my previous other posts. It is a "silent" recall if you have certain VIN# and meet mileage requirements. GM is making millions off of the problem they created charging customers $500-800 for a job with parts/labor <$100.

It is very easy to remove (see post #280 for a how to video). to fix the gauge, find a local speed shop or use the guy I recommend on Ebay.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    dominic9,
    Please e-mail me with your VIN and I will look into recalls for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • cepakcepak Member Posts: 3
    It would have been really nice to have GM include the Trailblazer in this recall. I've been a loyal GM customer since I purchased my first new pickup in 1981 (at 17.5% financing). And every car my wife and I have ever purchased have been GM. Here is a list, just to show how much my wife and I have supported GM over the years.

1981 Chevrolet Scottsdale pickup
    1984 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
    1991 Chevrolet Geo Storm GSI
    1993 Buick Regal Gran Sport Sedan, fully loaded
    1996 Pontiac Sunfire, fully loaded
    1998 Chevrolet S-10 pickup
    2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer Ext, V8, fully loaded (70,000 miles)
    2009 Cadillac CTS, fully loaded
    I even own a 1963 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Convertible.

Now show me a little loyalty and fix my instrument cluster.
  • rrko1975rrko1975 Member Posts: 2
    I recentley had this problem, I located ' Digital guy "on Ebay under automotive suburban cluster repair., he's based in Minn, and has 11,000 customer's took about 2 weeks he did a great job replaces everything in your cluster.
  • rrko1975rrko1975 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 with a 5.3 flex fuel it has 130 k. When is a good time to have the timing chain done?> No symptoms yet run's great just wondering. Ive done a timing belt how much harder is doing a chain?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please don't post phone numbers on the forum. They change and we get complaints. Company names and URLs are fine. Thanks.
    cepak,
    If you would like to e-mail me with your request/situation, involved dealer, VIN, current mileage, and contact information I will look into recall information and your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • matthew_garciamatthew_garcia Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know of a place that can fix a 2004 suburban speedometer in the Oklahoma City area? I really want to keep this vehicle, but don't want to pay a ton of money at the dealership either.
    Thank you :confuse:
  • matthew_garciamatthew_garcia Member Posts: 2
    I have purchased four Chevy vehicles in the last seven years alone. Most of the time, whenever we have issues the problems are resolved quickly. For instance, the power steering on our cobalt was faulty, but it was replaced immediately at no cost to us.

Now, our speedometer has started to act up. We are at 92,000 miles, and I am extremely unhappy that we might have to pay hundreds of dollars to have it fixed. It sounds like hundreds, if not thousands of people are having a similar issue. Our speedometer says are doing 20 mph on the highway, when I know we are going 60 plus. I will get stuck sometimes at 90 plus. We we turn it off, it stays at 90. It will sometimes drop 5 mph each time I start it.

I hear there are multiple lawsuits going on. Can anyone please point me in the right direction if I can not get Chevy to fix this for free, which they obviously should since it is a known issue?

Not that it needs to be said, but I have no intention of ever buying a Chevy if they can't fix this issue.

Thank you anyone who can help steer me in the right direction.

matthewgarcia.rr@gmail.com
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, Matthew! Welcome aboard.

We ask that you not include your email address in postings to the Forums. Thanks.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • brady32brady32 Member Posts: 1
    The 2003-2006 clusters out of the Silverado's,Sierra,Tahoe,Escalade etc...are very easy to remove, 10 minute job. The plastic trim(or bezel) around the cluster comes off very easy and is only held in place with clips. It is all one piece from the cluster to the radio.Put your steering wheel down and your vehicle in low gear,pry off the trim with your fingers, Then remove the 4 screws at the cluster with a 7mm socket.The wiring harness has two clips which you squeeze together and unplug.
  • pasteybeanpasteybean Member Posts: 1
  • justcuz7197justcuz7197 Member Posts: 1
    Logged into this forum to let you guys know that GM, specifically my Chevy dealership here in Cleveland Ohio is honoring the special extension of the warranty for the instrument cluster stepper motor issue...
    Just started happening to my truck last week and now the speedo is pegged out and doesn't move.
    On one of the forums, there is talk about the extra warranty and it is true. I will have to take the truck in for them to verify the trouble and get the correct part number, then return for them to put the new instrument cluster in. All for free, parts and labor are completely covered.
    On a web site I found it talked about a mileage limitation, all work free till 70,000 miles and truck must have a vin inside a particular range. Apparently mine fits. Also, the site mentioned a limitation of 7 years from date of service. I have a 2004 Silverado 2500 HD and they are doing it for free next week when the cluster comes in.
    All of the info here and other forums has been such a big help I though I would share...
  • hdgal3hdgal3 Member Posts: 7
    How many miles does your truck have on it ?
  • kerry1111kerry1111 Member Posts: 1
    My speedometer went this week on my suv. 2005 surburban bought in 2006 with 55,564 miles. Chevy says to bring in for a diagnostic (my cost) and they will decide what to do. My car is NOT among the vehicles in the class action suit Vin #....I said it is very clear whats up with my erratic speedometer and they should include more Vin # for the replacement, labor, of this cluster defect.....Anyone know of additional help from chevy that I can get?
    kerry1111,
    I apologize for your inconvenience. Have your spoke with Customer Assistance already? If so can you please e-mail me your case number? I would like to look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • lily5345lily5345 Member Posts: 2
    my dealer wants to replace the speedometer (free) but charge me 160.00 for labor. I said I would do it myself....they said "they have to do it and recalibrate". i say "no way" for a job that takes 10 minutes....Does anyone know who I can Mail this part to and get it replaced.
  • hntwhttlshntwhttls Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 tahoe and guess what 1 month after i purchased this truck im having speedo problems it has 103500 miles and of course we all know the cut off for mileage is 80000 who was the idiot judge that got the kick back to approve a settlement that is totally unfair and should have been a manufactures recall ive done some research to correct the problem for myself but would still be interested in a class action suit if there is one in the works for the 500 to 600 price tag to repair or replace with a new GM part they should recoup there loss pretty quickly since the cost to them is probly very low since the parts to do it are somewhere around 3 dollars per motor 18 to 21 dollars in parts and lets say 30 min labor that justifies an over 300 dollars price to you and me as i said it should have been a recall but thats goverment for you now that they are in the car business what more can i say
  • lily5345lily5345 Member Posts: 2
    chevy charges 99.00 to look at the car, then gives you the part free but charges $160.00 to put it in....even if the car has 55,000 miles and is less then the7 years stated in the ext, warrenty offered in the settlement.
    edited February 2011
    So you are comparing 2 solutions:
    - take it to the dealer, they replace with a new unit, re-calibrate, and give you vehicle back w/x day warranty, for $160
    - you take unit out and mail it off ($), they rebuild it for $70 bucks and mail back, you're w/o vehicle for y days, you re-install, and have x day parts warranty.

Ummmm, isn't this a no-brainer? I'd be jumping at the dealer offer in a heart beat.
  • tiggermiddtiggermidd Member Posts: 4
    My speedometer began acting up this week. When I got home, the speedometer read 60 MPH while the truck was sitting in the garage. I read a bunch of messgaes posted here about whether chevy will fix this and some non-chevy cluster repairs. My Silverado is a 2005 with 41K miles on it.

I followed some instructions on the forum and it did reset the guages.

I placed the truck in drive while the engine was off. Turned the key as to start it several times, and as I did, the speedometer kept going backwards about 20 MPH each turn of the key until it got to zero Again. As of right now, it is working fine. I know this is probably a temp fix and I should expect this to act up again in the future. Thanks for all your topics and help on this forum

Al in NJ
  • lsx6_0lsx6_0 Member Posts: 1
    let me clear this up. i am an ASE certified mechanic, and we service these in our shop for about $150. I just fixed my cluster this last weekend. to fix these things, all you have to do is buy the stepper motors on ebay. costs about 50 bucks for 7 motors and all the bulbs. there are videos on youtube showing how to do it. all you need is a soldering needle (15 bucks at radio shack or auto parts store) and some very thin gauge low temp solder. it took me about 1 hour or so my first time around. now i can get it done in under 45 minutes. seriously anyone can do it. just watch the vids. some ebay vendors may also offer tutorial videos for a few dollars more. those will be better quality vids.

now to clear up another matter for all of you that want to send it off for repair, but can't be with out your ride. you can drive your vehicle without the cluster. it will run and drive, you just dont have any gauges. this will not hurt anything.

so what- GM won't fix alot of clusters. we can do it ourselves cheaply, using superior lifetime guaranteed parts. we need to learn to be more frugal in these times anyhow. i'll save a buck anyway i can even if it means learning something new. if you break your cluster, Dorman now offers clusters at Advance Auto, O'reilly, etc priced around $250- $280 dollars w/ good warranty, and pre-programmed with your mileage. send yours back for core.
    I hope you all find this helpful and will give it a try. even if you f up your cluster, 250 you have a new one. still less than the dealer. dealers here charge about 600 buck to fix it.
    See my earlier post #253 about the GM recall in this thread. Note GM updated the recall in 2009 to allow up to 80,000 miles but you had to pay for their labor to remove and take out IPC panel. Takes 10 min and they typically charge $200. still a rip off.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f11f710/252#MSG252

I have another post here that describes how to take out the IPC and also where I got mine repaired. I chose Brian's Speedometer repair because he was close to where I live and I did not have to mail it to him. He does have a FedX service if you use him. See this post #280 in this thread for the deails:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f11f710/279#MSG279

Don't let GM screw you over. I myself would not give them the time of day much less let them work on my vehicle unless it was for FREE.

Good Luck
  • donfldonfl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Tahoe with 86K miles and the same speedometer issue everyone has posted about here.

I took it to the local dealer this morning for the speedo issue and the CEL came on over the weekend. I then found this site about the Chevy wide problem. So when the dealership called me with what was wrong and the cost (they wanted about $500 to replace the instrument cluster). I said no thanks I can have it fixed for about $150, the gal was great and said she would talk to the service manager to see if she could do anything. Well the return phone call was they would give me a new instrument cluster and I would have to pay the labor, $167.

I thought that was a fair deal since it would cost the $150 from one of the online rebuilders and my labor taking apart and putting back together the dash (twice). Provided I didn't break anything!

I fully agree it shouldn't have failed in the first place and I did file a complaint with the DOT, as this is a safety issue.

I have only had the Tahoe for 2 years and did not buy it from this dealership, but I would buy from them IF I decide to buy another Chevy.

This is only the second time I have dealt with this dealership and their customer service has been great both times.

Thanks for all the great post and info otherwise I would have paid alot more so the wife can have a working speedometer.
    Kiawah,
    I can see your point IF Every Chevy dealer did it for $160 vs sending the unit off for repair AND if I had no mechanical abilities. However, the two Chevy dealers around my home quoted me over $500 to do the repair. A local shop "offered" to do it for around half of the Chevy quote. To which I told them all not only no but H_ _ _ no! None of these places were offering a fair price for what the job required.

What I did was find a speedometer shop in my area so I did not have to mail the unit off. Most local speedometer shops do this repair daily. The one in my area charted $70 (and also accepts ones mailed to them). This includes ALL GAUGE SERVO's replaced with NEW GM Servo Motors, ALL DASH LIGHTS replaced, ALL gauges Recalibrated/Certified, and a LIFETIME warranty. (Chevy won't give you that).

My work was to remove the cluster panel. That takes about 7 minutes to remove and 7 minutes to install using a butter knife and a rachet/socket (just follow the online video for removal/install). I then drove the cluster to the speedometer shop (10 miles away). I watched while they repaired the cluster (about 20 minutes). I then drove home and reinstalled the cluster. About 2 hours total time including the time drinking a cup of coffe thinking about it, finding a butter knife and socket, and putting away the tools and dishes afterward.

So counting the cost of gasoline and the cluster repair and the cup of coffee, I was out about $80 or so. So for me, I guess I chose the path of most satisfaction by not giving the greedy dealer the time of day.

I used my $$ savings to buy my wife and I a nice dinner on the town and a bottle of wine which brought me even more satisifaction then not getting taken by a Chevy Dealer.

THis is what I considered a "No-Brainer". But to each his own.

Good Luck Out There
    donfl,
    I am happy to hear your problem has been resolved. If you need anything please feel free to contact me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    GMCUSTSVC,
    If you are truely a rep from GM, I am impressed you would have the nerve to even post on this site. As you are fully aware, GM is doing a shameful job of fixing a problem GM created by buying cheap parts and when they failed (as expected), GM silently fixes a few select models. But if the owners can't jump through all of the GM hoops, you gladly offer to "fix" the GM problem for $200-$600 dollars. THis is about a 500% markup on the repair including the labor. So GM makes money by using cheap parts and makes even more fixing the problem the cheap parts created. (This sounds like racaterring)

I have been a Chevy driver for many years. But this little issue has shown me GM's true colors. I have moved to FORD. They seem to be the only American company left with any ethics these days and they don't depend on handouts. They make money the old fashioned way - FORD EARNS IT!
  • sk8tldysk8tldy Member Posts: 1
    While driving my instrument panel went dead, not I can not even turn over car. Any idea as to the issue. Battery is new..Alarm, Radio, lights etc function.....Instrument panel DEAD along with my Tahoe! HELP
    edited March 2011
    I posted message 315 here on this site; Here is a recap of it :Feb 07, 2011 (6:53 pm)
    My speedometer began acting up this week. When I got home, the speedometer read 60 MPH while the truck was sitting in the garage. I read a bunch of messages posted here about whether chevy will fix this and some non-chevy cluster repairs. My Silverado is a 2005 with 41K miles on it.

I followed some instructions on the forum and it did reset the gauges.

I placed the truck in drive while the engine was off. Turned the key as to start it several times, and as I did, the speedometer kept going backwards about 20 MPH each turn of the key until it got to zero Again. As of right now, it is working fine. I know this is probably a temp fix and I should expect this to act up again in the future. Thanks for all your topics and help on this forum

MARCH 11, 2011 Follow-up. I sent Christina a letter who is a GM rep and has posted on this site, She set me up with case number, and I was contacted approx 1 week later by Clinton, GM Service rep. He took a bunch if info, to include my milage 41K year 2005, and when I purchased the vehicle ( Used approx 8 months ago) and he then wanted to know how many GM products I have owned in the past and where i had my last oil change done at. I answered him and then asked, " are you going to base repairing my vehicle on these questions" to which he stated NO these are just statistical questions that we gather.
    I received another phone call from another GM rep on March 9th 2011. She began by telling me all about my case. And then she quoted my past GM vehicles and where I get my oil changed at ( Non-GM dealer) This rep also stated that my VIN number was far away ( several thousand vehicles ) from the believed affected Dash cluster units, and stated my vehicle was not affected by the bad clusters. ( Although I am experiencing the same dash problems as all those older vehicles). She told me that based on all as stated above, GM would NOT help me with my vehicle.
    This surely puts GM at the bottom of my list for future vehicle purchase. I guess I will have the cluster fixed ( AND NOT AT A GM DEALER) and sell it. I think Ford product may be my next purchase. Thanks GM for selling an inferior product and then not standing behind your products !! :mad:
  • joen2joen2 Member Posts: 2
    Gentlemen, My 03 Silverado has not given me problem one til tonight. The speedo just died. I kinda see that there is a class action suit for repair of the cluster. I got a letter some time ago, but I circulated it. Could someone bring me up to date on years and milage of vehicle that they will fix. I did copy the number (!-866-996-9463) I don't think someone will be there Saturday night. Thank You, a new guy to the site.................joen2
    I read it was 70K miles or 7 years. I just fixed mine myself, this past week. Took me about 1 hour and speedo works fine again. $7.00 part ! Good luck with GM I called and had a months worth of discussions with them. They said they will not fix my 05 Silverado with 41k Miles. Al in NJ
  • rawhartonrawharton Member Posts: 1
    I have not had one problem out of my 2003 chevy tahoe. I have 157,000ish miles on it and today the whole instrument panel stopped working. no gauges.. no lights.. no indicators...nothing... I checked the fuse but it is not out...any suggestions
  • joen2joen2 Member Posts: 2
    rawharton, I think you might be on your own. you might try gmspeedometerrecall.com it will bring you to a speedometer repair site. This site has a listing of years, and models with the affected vin numbers. One of the earlier posts has a phone number a 1 866 number.. After I called I got another one. You might try 1-866-790-5700 GM customer service. Have your vin, the date you bought the tahoe, and a few choice words. (you will probably end your conversation with the choice words) GM will want 500 to 900 to fix the cluster. the gmspeedometerrecall will do the job for 200 plus. You remove the cluster (They have a video on the site) , mail it in for free (I think) and they will get it back to you in a couple of days. I wish you good luck. joen2 post 327
    response with message 315 and 324

March 14, 2011, I called GM and gave them my case number for my non-working cluster. I requested a written letter that GM has denied repairing my faulty Speedometer. GM denied in providing me with any written documentation and said it was " Proprietary documentation".

GM apparently will only conduct their business over the phone. unless this gets rectified real quick this will be the last GM product I purchase. !
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've read that you can send whoever a letter recapping a telephone conversation and request them to make any corrections or amplifications that you may have misunderstood over the phone. Send it certified or registered if you want proof that they got it. And put in there what you want done.
    sk8tldy,
    Have you spoken with your local GM dealer?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service