Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sunroof leak on my Saturn Outlook

Comments

• nugget53nugget53 Member Posts: 10
    In reference to my post above, I decided today to try a different approach as a start toward correcting my leaking sunroof issue. Our local GM dealer is a longtime friend and I decided to explain my situation to him first and get his opinion before taking this matter beyond GM to be diagnosed and/or (hopefully) repaired elsewhere. As I explained to him, we love the car so far despite the problems we have already had and are satisfied with the repairs that his dealership has made for us to date; however, after reading the posts in this forum concerning all of the electrical problems the sunroof leaks have caused other owners, we are now becoming concerned that for the first time EVER, we have bought a problem vehicle that we may be stuck with for awhile. We traded our "gas guzzler" Suburban (which never had a problem in 74000 miles) for the Saturn to SAVE money rather than throw good money at a problem or multiple problems that may not be able to be repaired or may frequently re-occur after repair based on what I have seen in most of the posts concerning both this issue and others. He has assured me that we WILL get the sunroof problem corrected, and because of my experience with him and his service department, I have no doubt that they will try everything that they can to resolve this issue. At this point, he has advised me to call GM Customer Assistance, explain the problem, get a case number assigned to it and let him know when this has all been done. I am planning to make the call today and will give GM every opportunity (but not forever!) to correct this problem. I have been a loyal GM owner (mostly Chevrolet) for most of my 40+ years of buying vehicles and every new or used GM car or truck I have ever owned to this point has been virtually trouble free. I'll give them a chance on this one, but I do not intend to put a lot of time and effort into this before exploring other options.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    nugget53,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance yet? I am very happy to hear of the close working relationship you have with your dealer. That was excellent advice on his part about calling Customer Assistance. If you have not set up a case yet, I would be happy to do so for you. Please keep me updated on you situation and feel free to email me with any questions comments or concerns. I hope the weekend is going well for you! :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • cebmidwestcebmidwest Member Posts: 1
    How can I set up a case for this same issue as well? I purchased this car new and within the last year, I am having issues with the sunroof leaking a lot! It has been into the dealership once, I have an appointment again this week.

Best regards,

Cebmidwest
    edited September 2011
    Yes...I have set up a case with GM and am having my Outlook checked by my dealer's service department this week. I was able to observe my vehicle from the inside during a rain event a couple of evenings ago. It is quite obvious that there are a couple of problems here: (1) the sunroof is a poor design. It has a very poor system in place for sealing the glass against the sunroof opening. I can actually push the glass up and down with one finger using very little effort since it seals against nothing more than a flat body surface. Water streams in around the glass in several places and it seems to be much more water than any drain system could begin to handle. (2) The drain lines move very little, if any, water away from the drain channel. If I understand correctly, the drain system is supposed to be in place in the event of "seepage" from a worn sunroof gasket or extremely heavy storm which overrides the seal. The drain channel and drain lines are not in place to remove water from every rain event that occurs, and no sunroof is "designed to leak" as some posters have said they were told. I have owned at least 4 GM vehicles with factory-installed sunroofs and this is the first one of them that has leaked anything at all, regardless of the age of the vehicle. We'll see what happens with my dealer this week. By the way, I called GM Customer Assistance at 800-222-1020 to get a case set up. They asked for my VIN #, current mileage and a description of the problem.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Cebmidwest,
    I can set up case for you. Just email me with your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    My Outlook went to my local dealer's service department for repair late last week. As I said in an earlier post, I have known and dealt with this dealer and his sales and service departments for 25+ years and have never had a complaint with anyone there about anything. As far as this problem, the service manager was very good about the whole thing and went out of his way to keep me informed throughout the process about what they were doing, what was found and how it was repaired. Since we did buy this vehicle used and the whole deal came together pretty fast when we bought it, I didn't have time to do the research on the car that I usually would have. Knowing this, the service manager offered to call up the history of the vehicle on GM's system so I could see everything that has ever happened to it. There were some safety recalls showing that had been completed, a pretty good service history was documented and a recent battery replacement was listed; however, there were no major problems or repairs (transmission, engine, etc.) and no previous water leaks reported or repaired!! I would have to say that after reading about some of the nasty problems that others have had with their Outlooks and seeing that mine hasn't shown any of them to this point, I do feel a little better about owning it.

As far as the repair of the leaking sunroof, first, the dealer tested the drain system and made sure that it was all opened up and flowing the amount of water that it is supposed to flow. Then the roof itself was closed and water tested. According to the service manager, this is where the problem was found. A bad/worn sunroof seal was allowing a huge amount of water to get in around the edges of the roof, so much that the drain system was being overloaded and water was overflowing into the car. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had already seen how badly the roof was leaking during a recent storm and that it just didn't seem to seal tightly enough. Anyway, the dealer ordered and installed a new sunroof seal and told me that it all water tested O.K. after the repair. When I picked up the car and checked the repair, I found that the roof is now sealing tightly and I cannot manually move it up and down as I could previously. Since the roof was only flooded with a garden hose to test it and it hasn't rained since the repair, I can't say with 100% certainty that the problem is fixed, but my experiences with this dealer throughout the years tell me that they have done all that they can right now and will stand behind what they have done to this point. I have my fingers crossed that I'll be one of the lucky ones as far as this issue goes. The really great thing about all of this so far is that when I went to the cashier's window to see how much all of this was going to cost me, everything had all been taken care of and I didn't owe a dime!! GM has called me at least 4 times to check on the status of the repair and ask if I have any other issues or problems. All of the GM reps have been very courteous and have appeared to be genuinely concerned about my problem. The last rep that called advised me to get the car back to the dealer and contact GM with my case number as soon as possible if the leak is still there or comes back later. So far, the experience with all of this has been really positive, but I also know that it can all go to crap fairly quickly if the problem is still there the next time it rains and I end up having to deal with all of the hassles that so many others on this forum have had........Time will tell.
  • aggravated07aggravated07 Member Posts: 35
    I would like to know your dealership if possible.. The ones I have gone to said they will charge me for any kind of repairs dealing with that. :mad:
    Not sure where you are from, but I live in east central Illinois about 180 miles south of Chicago and 100 miles west of Indianapolis. At this point, I'm not sure if the dealer or GM picked up the tab, but I am guessing that GM did. When I saw that it was taken care of, I didn't want to ask any questions! As I said, the GM reps that I have talked to have been very helpful and courteous toward me. Then again, when I have spoken with them, I haven't gotten out of line, cursed at them, blamed them for anything or threatened anyone because of the problem. I don't have it in me to be like that, and I think that regardless of the problem and the aggravation that it is causing, it never helps your cause to go after people who probably put up with "bad attitudes" all day, then have to go home to their own problems. I'm hoping that the way that I have dealt with them has helped me in this matter so far. After all, part of the problem is mine.....I bought a USED car. People trade cars every day, some because they can afford it and are tired of what they drive, and some because they are having annoying problems that they want to rid themselves of regardless of the cost. When you buy used, and don't do your homework like I didn't do this time, you don't know which reason put that vehicle on the lot. The owner that trades the car wants all that he can get out of his trade-in so he trades it when it isn't acting up and keeps his mouth shut about everything that he has had go wrong. We've all probably done that at some time or another. Back to the sunroof leak, I can't say for sure that it is 100% fixed as we have had no rain since the repair and none is predicted for several days. The guys that fixed it always do good work for me and I have faith in them....we'll see what happens when we get a good hard rain.
  • anotheroutlookanotheroutlook Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook XR. I brought it home July 3rd 2008 from the Saturn Dealership, right before they closed their doors. I'm the first owner of my SUV. I had to wait for it to basically come off the conveyor belt. The first problem I had was the LEFT HEADLIGHT. It went out. The first time it happened, the Outlook was still under warranty and the dealership fixed the bulb free of charge but didn't put the bulb cap back on. Since the Saturn dealership was 40 mins away from where I live, I didn't deem it worthwhile to drive back for my bulb cap. The second time the SAME HEADLIGHT went out, my husband replaced it. In just several days, it was out again. So I took it to a mechanic and he pulled the headlamp WIRING HARNESS out and it was burnt. It was literally melted. He replaced it. Then, the next thing to go out was the LIFTGATE. It stopped staying up and needless to say, it has gone down on my husband’s head several times and it’s not funny. :mad: Then, I got a letter in the mail recalling the WINDSHIELD WIPER FLUID WARMER. This one was easy. I had to leave it at the GM dealership and they dismantled it free of cost. Last month, the RIGHT HEADLIGHT blew out while on a family vacation 5 hours away from home my husband did a quick fix, by replacing the bulb. It lasted a good month and it went out just this week AGAIN. My husband just replaced the bulb. We don’t have the funds to replace the wiring harness right now, so as long as it keeps powering the bulbs we replace, we’re just gonna have to treat the symptom every now and then. And now today, our first hard rainfall and I woke up to find the interior of my Saturn leaking from everywhere. As I drove to work, I could hear water sloshing around the interior roof of the Saturn. When I’d break, the water would spill out from where the roof met with the front windshield and from the two airbag outlets that are located on the passenger side grab-handle. It poured out onto my dashboard and into the vents of the AC. And when I would step on the accelerator, the water would slosh to the back and pour out onto the seat from the little hole on the roof where the middle 3rd row’s safety belt retracts from. There wasn’t anything I could do about it. I had to get to work. So it rained off and on all day and by the time I got out of work, the driver’s side floor base was flooded. And I could see that it had trailed its way into the car from where the emergency brake pedal is located. I went home and my husband and son ran the water hose over the roof of the Outlook and found the culprit. It was the SUNROOF. I called the dealership and they said it’s good that we found the source of the problem. Otherwise I’d have had to pay $160/hr while they took apart every panel and ran the SUV through a rain simulator to find out where the leak was coming from. I didn’t set up an appt to get it fixed yet as it just happened today and I really don’t have the funds right now. (My Outlook payment is $600/month) :( Plus, I want to see if there’s damage to my electrical. Those things surface later, so I’ll wait a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I’m using painters tape around the edges of the sunroof. I’m going to call my insurance company to see if the comp portion will cover if any electrical damage is caused due to this disgraceful misfortune. I’m reading posts about Transmission failures and other things and I’m just thinking… oh dear Lord! :sick: I’m interested to know if anyone has success in getting their sunroof problem fixed. I wish it was there was a recall for it and for the headlight issues too. But I’m sure y’all agree with me when I say, “When it rains… it really pours.” :cry:
  • 2mad2mad Member Posts: 5
    We caulked around our sunroof and it did not help one bit. The service manager at the dealership we went to with our problems told us to get rid of our Outlook as quickly as we could and to please take it far, far away to trade it because he didn't want it to come back to their shop. The water coming in was starting to mess up a lot of electrical stuff and had messed up one of the airbag sensors. It was going to cost nearly $5,000 to fix the airbag problem.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    So.... did you get rid of it?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Here's a quick follow-up on the sunroof repair (new seal) that was done to my Outlook a couple of weeks ago. It finally rained a little last week and there was NO LEAK!! Yesterday and again today, it is raining steadily and much harder (downpours at times) and my car has been sitting outside during the entire time. I checked it last night and again this morning...NO LEAK and the drain tray is bone dry!! So.....it looks like the new sunroof seal was all that was needed (hopefully). I will cross my fingers and continue to watch until I am fully convinced. I am starting to wonder more and more if maybe the actual problem might be defective seals, and too much time is being spent trying to convince everyone that the problem is in the drain system because the system is "designed to leak" as many, myself included, were told. Really, would any of have bought an Outlook or any other car with a sunroof if we knew it was SUPPOSED to leak?
    Now I can't even get a Dealership to call me back.. They don't want to work on the vehicle.

One company that you took the dealership title away from said they would but that could screw up the warranty if the item should have been covered and repaired by GM... This is ridiculous..... :mad: :mad:
    I agree they should do a recall.. but if they do that then they have to admit they they are at fault.... You know they won't do that...

Own up to your errors GM... why can't you make us proud to own american made products... instead we want to get rid of them and buy better quality cars and right now GM is not on that list!!! :mad:
  • unfancynancyunfancynancy Member Posts: 8
    That is great news that your leak has been taken care of however... I caution you to still reserve some concern for future problems.

I also had my leak fixed (after a long drawn out battle) After that, I experienced several electrical problems as time went on and I am convinced they were a result of the water damage.

Ultimately, my Outllook began to run on its own (without a key in the ignition!). We had the whole thing fixed including a full replacement of the ignition system only to have it happen again.

We finally got rid of the car and bought a Toyota. It was the best decision we made. Even the GM dealership told us we were not done with the Outlook problems and we should expect to see some transmission problems coming up soon as they were starting to get several coming in with the same problems at a certain mileage point.

Best to you.
    I was just informed this week actually yesterday 11/15/11 that my vehicle has a recall on it. A saturn outlook and not only did I ask how long this would take and can it be worked on on a saturday to avoid taking off from work (which was a no answer). I also asked why I didn't hear about this sooner.. and he said that is GM's job. They are suppose to send out these recalls not the dealer... WTF!!!

I hope like hell my car is not damaged anyway from this recall.... GM SUCKS when it comes to caring about their customers and the dealerships they work with are no better. Wish I never bought this freaking car!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Have you gotten an appointment set up to meet your schedule since your last post?

Also, we can look further into your vehicle's information to see any other recall information that might be associated to you VIN. Please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN and we'll do that.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    AS of right now the only way I can possibly get this completed on my car is if they will do it on a Saturday. I can not take off of work -- I don't get paid if I am not here!!!

They are not offering a temp. vehicle for me to use either.. I have to pay for that if I want it car.

:mad:
  • onetimek9onetimek9 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2011
    I am glad i researched, and located a site to be able to read other peoples problems that they are having with the Outllooks...We purchased a 07 Outlook in January of 2010. by April of 2010 we had the vehicle back to the dealer because of water gushing from the headliner. Just like many other posts here, we had water dripping out of the front passenger side airbag on the column, out of the dvd player, the lights, everywhere..you can actually hear it sloshing around in the headliner.

The local dealer took the vehicle back in, and replaced all the seals on the windshield, and both moon roofs. they also said the drainage tubes that were too short.? They supposedly replaced the tubes as well.

We went to Florida in April 2010, and while enroute, we encountered some heavy rain in the Carolinas. Needless to say, i was soaked, as my wife.

We made it to florida, and the water pump went out. Took the Outlook to a Dealer in St. Pete Florida (Maher Chevrolet) Awesome group of guys!! They fixed the waterpump ( under warranty), they also showed me the computer screen where the original owner had nothing but problems with this outllook as well. Wiper motor, Liftgate, lights, ect... these guys looked at the moonroof, and advised me that they could replace the seals just like my dealer did, but it would not fix the problem. The service Dept told me that Saturn or Gm should have done a recall on the moon roofs, and also on the headlight assemblies. They warned me about the headlight assemblies melting, and causing the lights to go out. Luckily, i havent had this happen yet..The service dept also showed me several recalls that were pending on my vehicle, that my dealer should have caught but didnt. they took care of same for me. I almost forgot to mention that during the time my vehicle was in the garage, They provided me with a 2010 Tahoe to use until my vehicle was done.

Yesterday, it rained. My wife and i went to leave, and water again started gushing from the headliner onto the front dash.I seen water again dripping from the Dvd player, front and rear dome lights, and of course from the airbag on the column.
    What i am experiencing now is interior lights flickering, dash lights coming on, and going off, the vehicle would not turn off when i removed the key,and the musk smell is just getting stronger.
    I called our local dealer "Ferris Chevrolet" whom we bought the vehicle from, there response was " bring the vehicle in, we will park it in the garage to keep water out. When it dries up, we will put Duct tape on it to help keep water from getting in?????? DUCT TAPE? REALLY?? I asked them if we could bring home a loaner or rental, The dealer told us NO. I will be calling GM Cust. Service now that i have seen several posts from a rep advising to do so...Thank you!!
    Mike~~ Ohio
    i have the same issues and GM doesnt help one bit...not to mention i received an email regardig a recall that was suppose to have been issued in feb of this yr but didnt hear a word about it until this month... good luck it is a piece of crap car. And GM doesnt care about its owners.... :mad: :mad: :lemon: :mad:
    What recall was issued in Feb of this year? I certainly hope i have a better outcome with GM. My local dealer is either clueless, or outright does not want to mess with the water leak..
    Onetimek9,

I'm sorry to hear about the frustrations you've been encountering with your Outlook. Did you end up calling Customer Assistance already? How did that go?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    edited November 2011
    Sarah,

I did call and speak with Cust. Service. Reps name was Amy. She gave me a case #, and advised me that a Specialist would be calling me some time monday afternoon to speak with me regarding all of the problems we are having with our vehicle. I hope this really helps out! Thank you
    Onetimek9,

Great! Please keep me posted on how this progresses!

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    There was a recall on the timingbelt or something to that effect... its really sad when u cant get a dealership to help you and work with you and your schedules... :mad:
    oh..ok..I had that recall taken care in St.Pete FL back in April....The dealer where i purchased my vehicle failed to update our outlook on any of the recalls..the service dept at Maher Chevrolet in St. Pete, FL were outstanding! They did everything, and even showed me alot of stuff that i did not know had been done to the vehicle since the original owner bought it. I have been in contact with GM cust service, but to be honest, im not real sure how this is going to turn out...
    I honestly don't think GM will help. It more seems like they have "Washed" their hands of this car. I am seriously never going to purchase another GM again. They have totally screwed alot of people and they don't care. Again this is what I think but after reading this forum it seems I am not the only person with this thought.

Good luck and hopefully you won't have anyother problems.. but not likely. :mad:
    If you were to email us your Service Request number, or the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN, we could look further into the situation and help you get an update on how your case is progressing.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • bacanbitbacanbit Member Posts: 5
    Well I have posted before and of course my vehilce is leaking again. The dealership replaced the seal around the front sunroof in early November. It has been raining since last night and it is leaking in again. Of course I called the dealership and they are calling me back with an appointment date. I have left multiple messages with my GM District Specialist. I do not expect him to call back as he has not called me back from the previous several messages I have left. My husband says I should just contact an attorney because our vehicle is ruined. Anyone know how to get a class action lawsuit started? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I am on the same thought as you. All i want is them to fix the damn problem on their dime and their time not mine. If they cant then pay me back what i bought the car for and i will get a different vehicle..but if they do this they are admitting they have problems and they wont do that at all...buttheads :mad: :mad: :mad: :lemon:
  • bubbles1956bubbles1956 Member Posts: 32
    Well, I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook and last year I had a leak. They couldn't find anything wrong and charged me over $100 to try to find the leak. Just before New Years we had a big rain and my back seats were soaked. Since yesterday the GMC dealer in Morehead City, NC has had my car. I let the guy who checked me in know I had an extended warranty. Usually they check to make sure the problem is covered or they call me if it isn't. Not only did they NOT call me, they didn't bother to let me know they would have my car overnight. This morning I talked to the lady in the service department and let her know that both times my car leaked was when it was parked outside on the driveway at a slight incline. I also mentioned my extended warranty. She called me back to tell me it isn't going to cover the leak, nor the seal replacement. I was also told I wouldn't be getting my car back today either. So I called the warranty company to find out why they won't cover this. They told me of a TSB 08207 that requires the drain tubes to be extended. My VIN# is one that should have been fixed but no one sent me a darn notice and of all the times I have been in the GMC dealer for recalls, not once was that mentioned to me. I have no idea what they are going to charge me as the guy who checked me in said the leak test would only be a couple hours. I am so upset right now and disgusted with GMC AND Saturn, I doubt I will ever buy another car from GMC. If my bill is more than a couple hours of investigation I will get a lawyer because they STILL haven't called me to give me an estimate of repair or cost for this and now they KNOW my warranty doesn't cover it. I am just pissed right now. I guess I will find out tomorrow what the heck is going on. I am going to be looking into a class action from the way all these forums are reading if this doesn't get fixed or is going to cost me too much.
    It is a huge loosing battle... Make sure they check your headlights also, there was a recall on those - this car is a piece of crap and GM/Saturn know it. They are just going to push off all their design flaws on the consumer!! So much for ever buying American Made ever again. I had a perfectly good Nissan and decided to buy American.. Never again. Hell I was told that in order for them to repair the recall items I HAVE TO TAKE OFF OF WORK SINCE THEY DON'T MAKE THOSE KIND OF REPAIRS ON THE WEEKEND!!!!! CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!! BUT WHAT WOULD YOU EXPECT SINCE THE CAR IS A PIECE OF CRAP ALSO!! :mad: :mad: :lemon: WE NEED TO SOMEHOW GET A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST THEM TO MAKE ALL THE REPAIRS OR TAKE THESE CARS BACK FOR WHAT WE PAID FOR THEM SINCE THEY AREN'T WORTH A NICKEL. HELL MY HOUSE IS HOLDING VALUE BETTER IN THIS ECONOMY THEN MY CAR!!
    I have been reading several forums about the GMC Acadia and the Saturn Outlook and am seriously looking into a class action lawsuit. They kept my car again last night. What pisses me off is I bought an extended warranty because the first Outlook I bought was a legal lemon. The one they replaced my first Outlook with I love but three recalls later and now this. I am not happy. Saturn would have given me a loaner...GMC will not. Plus, they didn't bother to call my extended warranty like they are supposed to do and verify if the leak is covered. Plus I was told the leak test would be a couple hours. They NEVER called to ask my permission to tear out the lining nor did they have me sign anything. So now, two days later..I have to wonder what the hell they think they are going to charge me. When I reminded them I have an extended warranty bumper to bumper she called and was told no extended warranty covers seals, leaks or gaskets. Why bother with paying out the nose for a warranty then? The warranty did cover the drivers side mirror going out. The whole thing had to be replaced, not like they could have fixed the cable. SO STUPID. When I found out that the warranty didn't cover leaks, I called the warranty place. They told me about the bulletin for extending the drain tubes but it was expired in Sept09. If they new that was a problem, why didn't they make it a recall. I sure never got a notice and I usually park my car in the car port or have it covered so until last year, I didn't have a leak. I will post what they say and do and how much they THINK they are going to charge me to fix this mess. They originally said they had to find the leak to bring in a glass specialist to replace the seal. WHY THE hell would they need to find where the leak is if they are going to replace the seal anyway? I sure do feel like I am being ripped off here but won't know until today...if I get my car back.
  • siboldm2siboldm2 Member Posts: 7
    FYI to all you 2008 Saturn Outlook owners, the roof has assembly line holes that were not sealed. This is the cause for the roof leaking, NOT the sunroof. I had to pay over $600 to get my car fixed in 2010. GM refused to reimbursement for the expense even though it was a manufacturer defect according to the dealership. Also beware, I have had to replace the same brake light twice within the past 4 months and I'm positive that it is a wiring issue as a result of the water issues. Now they are telling me there is a wiring problem with the airbag. Make sure you call your dealership to look up your individual vehicle. They are calling this an extended waranty, not a recall and you only have a limited time to get it fixed, so you probably won't get a notice in the mail. Oh and let me know forget to mention that there was a computer malfunction in the transmission last month that caused me $1400. It's funny that this same issue happened within 6 months of purchaing the vehicle and a couple times after that, but back when it was under waranty it wasn't a big deal. I hate this car and will never buy another GM. They wonder why Amercia has problems, they build anything worth purchasing, anymore... WAKE UP GM!!!!!!!! How about bailing us out of our crappy cars, like we bailed you out of your financial irresponsiblity!
    There is a GM customer service attached on the Acadia Forum website that you might get help from...if it is for real. Maybe they will contact you. So far someone claiming to be from GM has contacted me over the leaky sunroof.
  • postonnopostonno Member Posts: 12
    I guess I have the patience of Job. I posted on this site previously. I purchased a new '08 Outlook XR with dual sunroofs in 8/08. A month later, I got a "recall" notice, which GM says was only an advisory bulletin, regarding the drain tubes. Took it in, had the work done. It didn't rain for quite some time, so...no leaks. Then, while on a trip in GA, parked on an uphill incline, water came out of the rear airbag ports, and filled up the rear lower compartment. I bought a tarp and kept the car covered during the rest of my vacation.

Fast forward to 2012. Its now in the shop for the 8th (that's EIGHTH!!) attempt to fix the leak, which, while parked in my driveway, always runs down into the left front corner of the driver's side...out of the dash.

Now, I've had a malfunction of the electric liftgate. It goes halfway up, stops momentarily, then decides to close by itself, under motorized power. And no, it does not stop if someone is in the way, it just continues pressing down. Fortunately, I didn't get sliced in half. I guess it would have kept on until the battery went dead.

The local Chevy dealer has been good, and assures me that the leak is finally fixed, that it wasn't the sunroof, but instead, an opening in the cowl area that needed to be sealed.

The car has less than 35k miles, and I'd love to trade it and maybe try the new Ford Explorer, but most everyone knows the reputation of the Saturn Outlook and its other GM cousins over at Buick and GMC with leak problems.

If this, the 8th try, doesn't fix the leak problem, I'll jump on board for a class action lawsuit. I believe that GM has made a product that is unsafe, after reading all the other posts. Water cannot possibly be good for air bags sealed in a pillar post. I've filed a complaint with the NHTSA, they said"thanks for your letter". I shouldn't have expected anymore, since the government owns the Company!
    I had a GMC rep read my entry and call the GMC dealer to check and make sure my car was being taken care of. After 3 days of testing, my bill was only $152.70. The write up was Tech lowered liner and ran water on top for 15 minutes, no leaks visible. Noticed rust around captured nuts and bolts for luggage rack in rear. Removed bolts and applied sealer. Reinstalled bolts and headliner. The strip that goes across the groove of my vehicle on the driver’s side was not installed properly when I picked up my car. I went back to talk to the guy in customer service and he took it back into the shop to have it pushed back. When he brought my car back out he said it was still lifted and should reset back down this weekend when I leave it in the sun and the pushed back seal around the window should go back into place too. If not, he told me to bring it in or give him a call on Monday. I was just so happy to get my car back. I really love this vehicle but the leak was driving me crazy. I will say…the only 2 times I have noticed the leaking in the roof have been on very hard rains that lasted all night and my car was in the driveway at an angle with the nose higher. I usually use a car cover or have it in the car port. Since Michelle at GMC told me that my VIN number was NOT part of that TSB, I feel much better about this problem. Hopefully, I won't have it again. No damage inside and they cleaned all the seals as well and the inside of my car...extra bonus. The people are very polite but the only real complaint I have is that I had to call all the time to get the status of my car. I was only told the leak test would be a couple hours, never asked about removing the liner or given an estimate for the fix. Of course, if they couldn't find the leak..how could they give me an estimate. I get that...just very nervous about the bill when they had my car for 3 days. All is well and I will let you all know if it leaks again. If you are having leaks, check your roof rack too. IF THIS ISN'T THE FIX...YEP..CLASS ACTION BECAUSE THESE LEAKS DO CAUSE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS
    Bubbles1956,
    I have been out of the office since Wednesday, but am glad to hear that Michelle over on the Acadia forum was able to assist you in this matter. I apologize that at first things were a little rough, from the sounds of your posts as I got caught up on them. If we can ever assist in the future, please let us know!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I see that you've been in repeatedly to get this leak fixed - hopefully this time it has been successful. If not, please get in touch with us and we'd be happy to further investigate.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ez2cyunvteeez2cyunvtee Member Posts: 1
    Hi Im having the same exact problem and Im actually scheduling an appointment this week to have this issue serviced and I noticed that you received an recall on this, do you by any chance have the recall number or did this fix your problem so far?
    I did not get a recall. A couple years ago, when my original warranty was still in tact..my roof leaked a little. When I took it into the GMC dealer, they could not find anything. I had another leak just before New Years and it was BAD. My whole back of the car would have been soaked if I didn't have the kennel in the back which caught most of the water. When I felt around, the only thing wet in the ceiling was the very back light. The sunroofs were not wet. When I took back to GMC they did several leak tests..which consists of running water for 15 minutes. I remembered that my car only leaked when parked at an angle with the front end higher and a pouring overnight rain. They ended up dropping the liner and following the drain tubes and actually found two bolts on the back of my roof rack..which I have NEVER used, loose. They removed them added sealer and washers and put them back in. Hopefully this helps. OF course, when they put the one rubber seal on the top by the drivers side of the roof rack, they didn't push it back far enough and it was not set right and the seal around my window has a cut and is pushed out. I left the front end in the sun as instructed to see if the seal sets back in to place on it's own but because I noticed the seal around the window is sliced from that other seal, I will be taking it back in to have that looked at. I just hate having to waste time and gas. I love my car...it was the car I saved for years and bought. I just hate the leaks...they are so hard to find on this car. Now my VIN did not fall in the Bulletin but as far as I know, they never did a recall...which I think should have been done. This bulletin expired Sept of 2009.
    I am sorry that you have been experiencing so many difficulties with your Outlook. As there are so many posters on this forum with the same problem, I will be adding documentation for GM's consideration on the roof leaks.

In regards to your current situation, we could establish a Service Request for you if you like. Please send us an email with more information, including your name and Edmunds username, contact information, information on your current vehicle concerns and any past repair history with a GM dealership, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and your current dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Keep us updated on how your visit goes. Are you going to be working with a GM dealership? We're available to follow up if need be.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Am trying to schedule an appt. haven't heard back as of yet. I requested tubes be blown out and lengthen if needed to stop this leaking issue that doesn't seem to be corrected also requested both recalls be corrected and an oil change since they are the ones that are suppose to complete them.

I have a feeling that they are going to tell me that I am responsible for any charges when it comes to the leak and I will be ticked off. Still waiting for GM/Saturn to send out a recall regarding this issue but nothing has been sent out as of yet!! Come on GM step up. Fix our cars so they last!! :mad: :mad: :lemon:
    I can't stand dealing with this dealership but according to all the other dealers I have to deal with them and only them.

They are going to say there is no problem and they couldn't get it too leak.. I know it leaks, my kids have seen it leak!!

I am asking you to just put in a recall to get this issue fixed before any more damage happens to these cars that all these loyal customers bought from GM/Saturn. It will make alot of consumers happy to see you stand by your product and not make them keep regretting buying this car and other cars that have the same issue.

That is all I want and all these other unhappy consumers want from you!!!
    It took my GMC 3 days to find the actual leak. It wasn't (as far as they could tell) the sunroof or moonroof at all. It was two loose bolts that showed rust on the back of one side of the luggage rack. He removed them, added sealer and washers and tightened them back up. It rained last night pretty good but I had my car in the car port. I hardly ever have my car outside of a garage or car port without a cover on it. I probably would have leaking problems even earlier I have never had the car leak anywhere other than the sunroof a couple drops and a lot of water the second time from the back up camera light. That is where the bolts were loose. I have a 2008 Outlook and my VIN# is NOT one from the TSB that expired Sept 2009 for extending the drain tubes. I do believe there should be a class action suit though. These problems are not safe and are not being taken care of from the GMC side. I don't think any of us should have to be paying out of pocket for them to "find the leak". They know darn well these vehicles leak and I hate that I have to pay for them to fix this common problem. Not to mention, Saturn always gave me a loaner and GMC will not. Luckily, I work from home most of the time and they drive me home and pick me up when I need it. For me, that was acceptable. The people are very friendly at my GMC but really what can they do when they don't even get the information they need to do there job? Just have them check the luggage rack bolts when you take your SUV in as well and have them check all bulletins and recalls pertaining to your VIN. That is what I am going to do when they call me for a service date. I am waiting on parts ordered now.
    I understand that you are upset. I have done what I can do as far as documenting that this concern is ongoing. For your situation, we can get a Service Request case established, if you haven't already done so already (as Edmunds is a busy forum, I am not handling a bulk of the incoming emails and so please forgive me if you already have established one of these cases).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I have an appt scheduled for Tuesday 1/17/2012 and due to my hours he is allowing me to drop off the night before and I am dealing with a different Gentleman who has informed me that my vehicle has been brought back 3 times already for the leaking water issue. So I am hoping there is no electrical damage from this issue and he also informed me that he has contact GM regarding this issue as well. They are suppose to correct all recalls also while they have my vehicle. So if there are any recalls outstanding on my Saturn Outlook please let them know his name is Dave Chattas at Jake Sweeney Chevrolet on West Kemper Road in Sharonville Ohio.

I am hoping and expecting to fix all problems with the leaking issue so that I don't have to ever bring my car back for this type of repair or any issues which will result from water damage since it has come in thru the airbag areas and seatbelt restraints.

:mad:
    I would love to know what all they do to your car once you get it back.
    I will, and hopefully it will not take them long to figure it out.