Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• traveller2traveller2 Member Posts: 7
    This is probably a question for Cliff Martin. My dealer placed an order for a YXL on 10/20/00. On the "Vehicle Order Request Detail" that the dealer faxed to me, it shows the vehicle order number as 6 letters, not numbers. Is this truly the 6 digit number that Cliff refers to on his website? There is also a BAC number on the form that has 5 zeros followed by 6 numbers. What does this represent?

Does the fact that I have this form mean that my order was accepted? I also have a Form that says "Submit Request For Order - Confirmation". It also shows the order number as being 6 letters, not numbers.

My concern is that my dealer has no info for me as to a TPW or if there are any constraints holding up my order. I know that it has been posted before on we can find out how to track an order.

I would appreciate any good insight and facts.
  • gonefishingonefishin Member Posts: 10
    My experience might help. About 3 weeks after placing order and bugging dealer about an order # and TPW, he called me with a 4 letter & 2 digit "order number". I waited a week and called the GM 800 # and was told I did not have an "accepted" order #, but merely a request #. At that point I got in dealers face over what was happening and he admitted order was not accepted due to constraint on liftgate at that time (Aug). To this day I do not know if prob was constraint or lack of an allocation. In any event, 2 weeks later he called back with a totally different order # consisting of 6 letters. This was accepted at the GM 800# and got a TPW about a week later. On the plus side the deal was struct with a handshake ($500 over in NE OH), no money changed hands until delivery, and the truck runs well.

'01 YXL
    Jon
  • argyletxargyletx Member Posts: 6
    My husband ordered tan Catch-alls for my 2001 Yukon XL (Polo green w/ neutral interior). The catalog indicated exact match to vehicle make and model, but they weren't even close, and the mats are on their way back. My cargo liner matches well, but it isn't a Weather-tech like I had in previous vehicles, and I believe the Weather-tech is a better product. (My husband's 2000 Yukon XL is pewter w/ neutral, and that interior carpet did better with gray mats.)
  • cwmartincwmartin Member Posts: 89
    I am conducting a poll as to the mileage interval that people are using between oil changes on their new body style SUVs. As of 10:45am on Sunday, 11/19/2000, only 57 people have voted in the poll. The poll will close on 11/20, so if you want to be included please vote before then.

The poll can be found at the GMSUV forum on delphi.com at http://www.delphi.com/GMSUV

(Note To Florida Voters: You can only vote once and the results will be certified immediately upon the close of the poll. NO MANUAL RECOUNTS!)
  • 2001yukon2001yukon Member Posts: 6
    I ordered my Polo Green about three weeks ago. I was wondering how you like the color on the Yukon. It is paint chip number 47 the same as the "forest green on the Chevy Suburban. I was only able to see it on the suburban. I was wondering how you like it on the yukon
  • missemisse Member Posts: 22
    I have been ready to order a Yukon XL since August - well, OK, almost ready to order. At first I got few responses to my internet inquiries here in Austin, TX. One dealer tried locate and found 3 or 4 Yukon XLs across the country that almost but not quite met my specs. Best price I have been able to find in our area is $1500 over invoice. I hope I can do better farther away. Thank the Lord for Advantage Miles.

Has anyone experienced the Autoride? Is it worth $600 if we only trailer our boat 3 or 4 times a year? Is it on constraint because they can't make it work?

I can't believe I will continue to have to listen to Veggie Tales because GM does not offer rear audio controls with the front bench seat. Does anyone know of an after-market option?

Thanks for all the great information. Now if I can just find a great deal, I will soon be trucking!
  • msncowtnmsncowtn Member Posts: 18
    to; gonefishin

unable to find 800 number to check on XL order, can you provide ?

Thanks
    Mike/DFW
    I am very happy with my Polo green XL. It is my 2nd dark green vehicle in 5 years, and I just don't get tired of it. (I traded in a platinum silver 99) My friend has a pewter Yukon waiting for her at the dealer that her husband ordered, but she wants green like mine (she has a dark green SUV now). The dealer says there aren't any green readily available. Polo Green is really sharp when it is clean, but right now mine has its "protective layer of dirt" from our sloppy weather and occasional gravel/dirt roads. Our Pewter XL always looks clean, but there are a lot of them on the road. I have NEVER seen another Polo Green XL and I have had mine since August.
  • kids123dadkids123dad Member Posts: 1
    I thought they deleted the front bench seat option for 2001? The second row audio controls are cool, and would suggest getting them...I'm about to pull out my center console and get a bench seat (aftermarket) to go there....need the extra seating, and this was the only option on the truck that I didn't get (we found this one on the dealer's lot...impulse buy...).

Autoride is a must, whether you tow or not...I've moved many objects in the last six months and Autoride levels the truck out no matter what...It's probably the best feature of the vehicle...
  • bigkahuna13bigkahuna13 Member Posts: 7
    As my brother in law was in the 3rd row of seats in my Sub yesterday putting in carseat # 3 I was standing outside handing him his daughter and I could hear the autoride adjusting the height and level of the truck...it was pretty cool and we had a smooth ride with 4 adults and 3 children on the highway...a great feature!

Bill
  • barefoot1barefoot1 Member Posts: 5
    I have nothing but praise for Moore Pontiac-GMC in Canton, GA. My order has gone without a hitch! I must have sent emails through GMbuypower.com to about 11 local area dealers, and they were #1 at 500.00 over invoice. We started in Sept. Once I contacted them, I placed my order on a Yukon black onyx with 1SD package, WITH SUNROOF, and today was told today that it should be here by 11/29. Wow, never have I had such an easy deal before!! The salesperson I dealt with, Suzanne Payne, was very knowledgable, and NEVER tried to [non-permissible content removed] me! Little did she know I have been reading this newsgroup for quite a while. I am really lucky, to be getting my dream vehicle within two weeks. One hitch....I grabbed an allocation she had. Black onyx, 1SD package, towing package.....it was like it was meant to be! I have seen nothing but pewter on the road....and more and more the storm gray, which I like...I wish each of you the luck that I have had. Call Suzanne Payne at Moore Pontiac-GMC in Canton, GA. They will definitely take care of you!
    I thought I saw a post about someone tracking a transport from a factory through a VIN number....but can't find it. Any hints?

Sandy
    I had asked my dealer about the sunroof/rear auto issue before I ordered my vehicle. She said that if there is a problem down the road with a "secondarily installed sunroof" that GMC would not cover it. Something to think about, huh?
  • zzackzzack Member Posts: 8
    Sandy,

Try www.bnsf.com

Zzack
  • bigkahuna13bigkahuna13 Member Posts: 7
    not necessarily the case re: the sunroof...IF (and a big if)you do it through your dealer...that is what I did so not only does the dealer cover it but the moonroof installation company gave me a 6 year warranty as well...
    Tracking the shipment of a vehicle on the railroad only applies to vehicles shipped on the BNSF railroad. Since you are in the metro Atlanta area (same as me), your vehicle will be shipped via either CSX or Norfolk Southern. Neither of those railroads let you track an individual vehicle via the VIN number. In order to track a shipment on them, you will need to know the serial number of the railcar that your truck was loaded onto and also have a tracking account with the railroad.

Your truck will arrive at the railyard in Dacula, GA (off of Hwy. 316 past Lawrenceville and Gwinett County airport).

Clifford
    At this point I can forget about the tracking - I'm just happy to be getting it soon! Had also asked about the tires I would be getting and was told probably Wilderness as the ones that have come in so far are, but there is a chance they might be different because mine are black-wall. Hope so. Also weird is though my Yukon was supposed to be built at the Mexico plant, it was actually built in the USA.
    My XL arrived with Firestone tires and we told the dealer we needed them changed out. The dealer arranged for us to visit a tire dealer the next day, where a p.o. would be waiting, and they were switched to Michelin.
  • 2001redlt2001redlt Member Posts: 2
    Would someone please repost the Catch All part # for the '01 Graphite interior.
    Thanks Pete
  • henrysbeachhenrysbeach Member Posts: 9
    Wowee!!! After months of reading the Edumunds boards and tracking all the happy owners I FINALLY GOT MINE. A bright red SLT/4wd. The only disappointment is the Firestone Wilderness tires! Unlike argyletx above the dealer will not change them out for me and none of the Firestone dealers in San Diego will give me a dime for them [shows you what Firestone thinks of its own product]. Other than that, I am fired up, big time. What a treat after my 1993 GMC Suburban, no comparison.
  • ekohlerekohler Member Posts: 2
    Mike,

You answered my questions about 3 weeks ago about your experiences ordering in the D/FW area.

I am finally going this Friday to place my order and wanted to know if you had any updates to how your order with Freeman is going.

To everyone else out there,

Thanks again for all the hints, tips, and tricks to getting what you want for a fair price. I hope to spend some time on Cliff's website one more time before Friday to review all the great stuff he has posted before I finally take the plunge.

Wish me Luck!!!
    If you are going to order in the DFW area, make sure to call James Wood GMC/Chevy in both Denton and Decatur. Ask for Scott White if you call Denton, and tell him the first Polo green XL sent you!!!
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Dealers here have no info at all. Do the 2nd row captain's chairs remove, flip or slide to allow entry to the rear? I will probably just take one out if they are bolted down and keep it in the garage. (Love the floor space that manoeuvre created in our minivan). Will unbolting a seat leave a great big mount in the way so our dog can't lie down, or to crush our knees on when kneeling???
    Thanks in advance.
    I have added several new polls to the GMSUV forum at http://www.delphi.com/GMSUV as well as a new section just to house the polls.

If anyone has a suggestion for a poll question, please feel free to send it to me.

Clifford Martin
  • gghuskergghusker Member Posts: 7
    I just got the invoice today for my Yukon XL that was built on 11/14. It also had the item Z88 'delete third row floor mats' -$46.00. Have you received your vehicle yet and were you truly missing third row mats? I am curious to know what this means. Thanks
  • msncowtnmsncowtn Member Posts: 18
    TO ekohler....
    Order placed Oct 26. Entered Nov3. As of Nov 20, order not accepted yet, (no tentative production week). My guess is that build week will probably not be until middle of Jan, due to 1-2 week shutdown at assembly plants, however, am unsure of shutdown schedule at Mexico plant. Thus far, no complaints with dealer. Am trying to avoid being impatient. Happy hunting !

Mike DFW
  • kansasyukonxlkansasyukonxl Member Posts: 2
    I picked up the vehicle on 11/14 without the third row floor mats. I ordered the mats through the dealer parts department and received them on 11/21. PN 12497007 Mat Pkg with a list of $35.00, net of $29.75 plus tax.

R. Spaedy
  • dicbentdicbent Member Posts: 1
    Is there a lift kit available for the 2001 Yukon?

I am an Arizona resident and have ordered a 2001 Yukon with a possible bi-fuel alternative fuel vehicle conversion kit to be installed. I am trying to determine the the advantages and disadvantages of a propane vs. a cng bi-fuel vehicle. Is there anyone that would have knowledge or experience with regards to these types of vehicles?

Thanks in advance,

Richard
  • jtbuffjtbuff Member Posts: 25
    They have not had any problems with firestone tires on the Yukon XL.Our 2001 came with them and to be honest with you I am quite happy withe them. I think they ride great.I think some people get al worked up over nothing.
  • robdaleyrobdaley Member Posts: 1
    My '01 LT has second row captains chairs. The passenger seat moves forward to aid in 3rd seat access. My kids (10 and 13) step between the second row seats.

The second row captains seats do fold flat, to make a large flat area behind the drivers seat. The entire floor is not flat when both second row seats are down, in a gap exists about a foot wide between the two second row folded seats.
  • soy3soy3 Member Posts: 1
    I have 00 Suburban, and I just came back from shopping at Costco. When I got home, I realized the soy sauce bottle leaked and cargo area of my suburban was totally soaked with one gallon of soy sauce.
    Since soy sauce is salt + water, it seems to me it is very very bad combination for a vehicle.
    I am worried about corrosion especially.

Do you know how to clean up this mess? I want to remove the carpet on cargo area for clean up.
    Do you know how to remove carpet from cargo area? Should unscrew cargo-tie bolts to remove carpet?
    Do you know how to remove plastic cover (it seems there is a rear area heater inside) on the side of the cargo area?
    Ant suggestion appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-John
  • henrysbeachhenrysbeach Member Posts: 9
    Got my Fire Red Yukon XL, SLT/SD last week and am a happy camper. One question, though. Both front visors have a "stupid sticker" explaining that seat belts should be used for children, etc along with big yellow and red highlights. It looks like the stickers are firmly attached and I am somewhat afraid to start pulling them off for fear of botching the job. Has anyone taken these stickers off? I can't imagine having a $42,000 plus vehicle with unwanted stickers about other peoples children [I don't have any]. Thanks.
  • dxccp140dxccp140 Member Posts: 6
    Have been reading this site for sometime now because I'm getting closer to my 01' XL coming in. The information discussed have been helpful....If someone could respond w/ regards to the deal w/ Sunroof and rear climate controls I would appreciate it!! Have they fixed this for 01' or has GMC still not figured out how to make the two compatible?
  • yossarianyossarian Member Posts: 43
    I beg to differ. The Firestone tires on the Suburbans are having tread separation problems -- just like the ones on Explorers.
    Go to the NHTSA's web site, click on Complaints, and look under 2000 Suburbans, Tahoes, Yukons and Yukon XL's. You can limit the search to Tire Complaints.
    I think that you will be surprised (shocked may be a better word) at the number of complaints related to Firestone tire problems.
    The bottom line is that GM is selling you crap that it knows is dangerous. Typical Big 3 BS.
    They probably make $100 bucks a car in additional profit by selling us Deathstones instead of a better, safer tire, like Michelins.
    The GM bean counters add it up -- they still make a huge profit even if they have to pay $2 mil in wrongful death suits here and there (more than 5 years down the road since GM will delay, fight and endlessly appeal all suits and do whatever they can to avoid paying a nickel).
  • vinnie6vinnie6 Member Posts: 20
    At last, someone else has seen the light! I have felt like a single voice crying out in the Wilderness on Firestone tires for the last six months or so. They are crap and GM is not taking care of its customers by continuing to ship them on new vehicles. And your guess matches mine. The bean counters are willing to sacrifice a few lives for the sake of the bottom line.

But that doesn't mean that we have to fall into the trap. Take the Firestones off your truck and put something else on. Those who continue to fool themselves with statements like "I've never had a problem" will change their tune soon enough when the first Firestone fails catastrophically. Why wait?
  • bgould1bgould1 Member Posts: 19
    I suppose the other way of handling the tire issue is to always add $700 to the cost of any GM vehicle when price shopping. I'd rather not have to hassle with replacing tires on a new truck, but no one is forcing me to buy a GM truck. Sure, I want the engine and ride of the new Yukons but its still my choice about what to buy and who to buy it from.

So long as we as customers continue to buy the product why should GM change policies. After all they are not in business for our benefit, but for their own benefit.

The above only applies to new buyers, not those who purchased before the firestone problems came to light. Those people were not able to make an informed decision and relied on GM to their detriment.

My bottom line, still waiting to get an order accepted for an 8.1L with 1SD and I'll probably pitch the tires after accepting delivery.
  • falmouth1falmouth1 Member Posts: 1
    I live in the northeast and want to purchase a yukon xl....does anyone have a dealer to recommend who will sell this vehicle close to invoice?
  • yossarianyossarian Member Posts: 43
    I also believe that the BS goes much further than GM. The NHTSA has figures and stats on all Firestone tires at this point. Yet they refuse to force recalls. It appears that they are only forcing recalls for tires equipped primarily on Explorers because the Explorers, for some reason, are more prone to roll over upon tread separation.
    While it looks like just about every Firestone light truck tire is defective, regardless of where it was made, tread separation is not causing vehicles (like the Tahoe and Suburban) to roll over. Hence, the NHTSA appears to be cutting Firestone a break by limiting the recalls and thus allowing it the chance to stay in business.
    In doing so, GM, Firestone and the NHTSA are playing poker with our lives, all for the benefit of big business.
    Do I sound too much like Nader?
  • rocko7rocko7 Member Posts: 6
    I just received our 2001 XL last week with the sunroof. Sorry to say that they still haven't figured out how to add the automatic climate control with the sunroof. I live in Southern California, where my wife and I really enjoy the sunroof, since the weather stays pretty warm here, you really do not need the auto climate control here, unlike the midwest or the east coast.

To those commenting on the Firestone tires - even if the tires were safe, how can you trust the company! They lied to the consumers, which resulted in numerous deaths to innocent victims. As to the performance of the tires, I can tell you from first hand experience that the Firestones on the XL ride TERRIBLE!!!! You can actually feel every bump and pothole in the road. These tires make the XL ride like a heavy duty truck. After a couple of days on these "Tombstones", I changed out the tires to Michelins ( LTX 265-75-R16's ). The difference in the ride is incredible. It feels like you'r driving a car.I'm glad I made the switch, it really was worth the extra cost.

Rocko
  • dpreston2dpreston2 Member Posts: 2
    My dealer has told me my order for 8.1, 1SD, 3.73, sunroof XL has been confirmed. He swore to me that there is auto climate control for the front seats, but the rear seats are manual. This seems consistent with what I have read from this group. By the way, the best deal I could get in New Jersey was $2,000 over invoice -- can anyone tell me if they got better. Also, he gave me a build date of 12/18 which I have not been able to confirm with GM.

Thanks. Doug P.
  • charlie231charlie231 Member Posts: 1
    I took delivery of a new Yukon XL Denali a week ago and it has both a sunroof and front seat auto climate control, so I know it's possible. The second seat consists of two captain's chairs, and the overhead control for that area is manual. I really like the XL. It came with the new Michelin Cross-Terrain tires and they are terrific. If anyone has any questions, please post them. I'll be glad to answer what I can.
  • rocko7rocko7 Member Posts: 6
    Is it possible that they put the auto climate control (with sunroof) only in the Denali, and not the XL, so this could be included as one of the upgrades in your vehicle? Because I just received our XL on November 22nd. I would be surprised if they all of a sudden added the auto climate control in the 2001's now, though it would be nice for everyone who's still planning on ordering one of these vehicles.
  • nightfltnightflt Member Posts: 1
    You might want to check out Ralph's in Darmouth MA. They were willing to sell me a Burb at 500 over invoice with no Advertising Fees
    For a XL try Barry's in Middletown R.I.Talk to Charlie there I order mine there in Garnet Red. But not as good a deal as Ralph's .But I wanted an XL.
  • rhwoodpeckerrhwoodpecker Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2001 Suburban with the Tan/Neutral interior. I called Automotive Accessories Connection to order and was referred to the manufacturer to get a color number to match. Nifty told me the last two digits of the model number would be '53' in order to match the new interior. I called AAC back and they do not have that color in stock yet. Has anyone found this color to be available yet and if so where? Thanks!
  • everharteverhart Member Posts: 59
    It's not a problem if you have'nt ordered. Just tell them when you order to put it in writing that you will not take delivery with firestones. It's that easy my friend did it, he had to go to two different dealers but they did it. He got Goodyears.
  • bgould1bgould1 Member Posts: 19
    Sounds like a good way of doing it if you have a choice of dealers.
  • traveller2traveller2 Member Posts: 7
    I would like to relay a successful order experience on a 2001 Yukon XL here in Southern California.

I placed an order on 10/11/00 for a for a YXL 2500, 2wd, 6.0L, 1sd, liftgate, Polo Green, at $1200 over invoice and 1% advertizing fee.

My order was accepted on 10/20/00 with a TPW of 12/11/00. As of today the TPW is still valid and there are no constraints to hold up the build date. That's 9 weeks from order date to build date.

What made this happen for me was careful research, most of which I learned here on this great web site and from the work that Clifford Martin has posted.

Learning about dealer allocations and which type of dealers would have the most available, allowed me to negotiate from a position of strength. Go to a dealer who sells a lot of SUV's and trucks vs. a dealer who sells mostly cars. They will have more allocations and be willing to give you a better deal than the dealer who only has a few allocations on Yukons or Suburbans.

I spoke with a lot of GMC fleet managers in So. CA and got a wide range of B.S. pricing. But, when the $ was on the table, most were not willing to let me walk out the door. $1500 over was possible at most of the dealers & the adv. fee. But the reason that I picked the dealer that I did was their no nonsense guaranty of available allocations and $1200. over invoice.

The issue of Firestones has not been settled yet. But i'm sure that if I send a few customers their way - I might see a set of Michelins.

Contact me and I will give you the name of an excellent GMC Fleet Mgr. here in Southern CA.

Jay
  • gads2gads2 Member Posts: 1
    I am preparing to order a 2001 Yukon XL. Since I am mostly interested in the best highway ride, I have decided to go with the 2WD. The Suburban brochure lists something called Electronic Traction Assist with 2WD models but I don't see any more information regarding it as a option. I am also planning to go with the Autoride option.
    I would be interested in pros and cons on the 2WD and Autoride. Also anything on the Limited Slip and Electronic Traction Assist on the Yukon XL. Thanks.
  • dellgatedellgate Member Posts: 3
    If you have a center console key which has a code "095", plz let me know.
    I have a good news for you.
  • fellersfellers Member Posts: 18
    I'm dying with curiosity. What is the significance of the key code 095?