Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    XM is a mess IMO.  Too many promotions etc... I don't even know at the moment if I'm active or not.  My CC changed numbers months ago due to a security thing and I've never told them the new number and they haven't charged me for at least 7 months.  

Im sure the wife will tell me when it's no longer active and I'll ask for the promotion. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    This one was definitely made via a template of some kind, as other cars had similar stickers, likely with similar inaccuracies. The dealer is AutoNation now - they might use the same template for all cars.

Regarding XM above, I think there's also a music only option that is cheaper and cuts out some of the talk and news, if that matters.
    sda said:

I would have thought that if it was a MB at a MB dealer, the sticker would be generated by the VIN, thus an accurate description of standard and optional equipment.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Yes, there is, but you lose the sports stations.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,342
    rayainsw said:

I drove the charger over 850 miles this past week – primarily to visit friends on the Florida Panhandle. I am now at just over 14,500 miles & just over 10 months in service.
    The car drove perfectly, and averaged over 25 MPG [ the highway EPA rating], including some ‘in town, running around’ miles. And averaging over 70 MPH for significant stretches of Interstate.
    The last fuel fill was over 400 miles – showing 27.2 MPG and 30 miles Range remaining \ ‘Distance To Empty’. Again, including some less-than-ideal driving conditions.
    [ Actual MPG for this leg = 26.0 - 19 gallon tank. ]
    It still shows no wear. Tires still show excellent tread. No rattles, squeaks, moans or groans.
    - Ray
    No excuse to trade – just yet . . .
    [ Wait - do I need an excuse \ reason ????? ]

I have to say, if I could find an R/T with the Road and Track and Beats Audio packages without a sunroof I would be sorely tempted.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited November 2015
    Went through the "song and dance" routine with talking to the cancellation dept. just before my time was up. Instead of them offering, or agreeing to my request for the promotional rate, they just said no. She did say to "check our offers to you on-line". I used this link: https://care.siriusxm.com/winback_view.action?plans=sir_aud_evt,promo - select - 5mo - 19.99 - and got a great deal, 6 mos. for under $30 including tax and fees. Just got to remember to set a reminder a few days before it ends to cancel, or try and get another good offer.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,916
    suydam said:

My latest renewal for the Elantra was for the "Mostly Music" package .. I miss the NFL channel on Sundays when I am delivering.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    fintail said:

This one was definitely made via a template of some kind, as other cars had similar stickers, likely with similar inaccuracies. The dealer is AutoNation now - they might use the same template for all cars.

Regarding XM above, I think there's also a music only option that is cheaper and cuts out some of the talk and news, if that matters.

sda said:

I would have thought that if it was a MB at a MB dealer, the sticker would be generated by the VIN, thus an accurate description of standard and optional equipment.

My luck, I only listen to the news, old time radio, and sports, etc.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2015
    roadburner -

I was looking at both of these options, starting late last Fall.
    FWIW - one reason I chose the ‘regular’ R/T :
    Final drive gear ratio: R/T = 2.64 vs. 3.07 R/T Road & Track
    R&T = 16% more TQ multiplication.
    My experience has been that, even on dry roads, and starting in the automatic’s second gear – it is VERY easy to spin the standard Firestones.
    For me, the lower RPM at cruise was a greater advantage than the additional TQ multiplication of the 3.07.
    - Ray
    Very pleased with the choice . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    edited November 2015
    Michaell said:

suydam said:

My latest renewal for the Elantra was for the "Mostly Music" package .. I miss the NFL channel on Sundays when I am delivering.
    carnaught said:

Went through the "song and dance" routine with talking to the cancellation dept. just before my time was up. Instead of them offering, or agreeing to my request for the promotional rate, they just said no. She did say to "check our offers to you on-line". I used this link: https://care.siriusxm.com/winback_view.action?plans=sir_aud_evt,promo - select - 5mo - 19.99 - (5for20)&utm_source=sem_Google&utm_campaign=SEM_Google_Search_Brand_Alpha_General&utm_medium=sem_ and got a great deal, 6 mos. for under $30 including tax and fees.

Thanks everyone. Just reactivated at $19.00 for 5 months on each car. Same stations as before. Saves me enough to continue my Edmunds dues. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Understood. Me, I'd have to have all the additional go-fast goodies, as sooner or later I'd have to take it to an HPDE...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    And if I could afford to immediately put Michelin Pilots on the R/T,
    that MIGHT have changed my decision regarding the R&T ...
    2022 X3 M40i
    edited November 2015
    I won a set of Pilot Super Sports and stuck them on the MS3. They have an incredible amount of both wet and dry grip. So much, in fact, that I always run out of nerve/courage/cojones long before I run out of stick.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    I also have PSS. Fantastic tires... but, I notice they are wearing out fast (not the tire's fault, I don't think).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    edited November 2015

I wasn't referring to a reading list. I was talking about driving an actual car . Anyway, a .7 skidpad result isn't very impressive, and Road and Track's 1971 Road Test says quite plainly "it doesn't have bundles of cornering power" and "there's a distinct bobbing motion to the ride". They also mention that they've had "considerable feedback" from owners of earlier 2500 and 2800 cars about mechanical problems.

Let's just agree to disagree on the Bavaria.

As for handling, a number of contemporary auto mags mention it, (or lack of it) so I think I remember that part okay at least.

We must not have the same reading list.

BMW's power steering is light and quick but disappointingly lacking in feel. ...Otherwise the car's handling is exemplary.
    BMW 2500 Road Test, Road & Track May 1969

Handling is best described as typically BMW, only better.
    BMW 2500 Road Test, Autocar May 28, 1969

...if your existence is made joyful by precision devices and you wish to drive every inch of your journeys, than the BMW 2500 is the answer.
    Pat Bedard, Car and Driver June 1969

In on-the-road handling the Bavaria is delightful, though with 175-14 tires it doesn't have bundles of cornering power.
    BMW Bavaria Road Test, Road and Track August 1971

Once accustomed to the steering-some drivers didn't like it at first-the car feels quite sporting and agile for a large saloon. Even with only a single anti-roll bar at the front the car corners hard with little body roll.
    BMW 3.0S Road Test, Motor March 25, 1972
    Actually, just to chime in, a '72 3.0S is the only BMW I've ever driven. I was stationed in Germany and a friend needed me to drive it to the shop, about 20 miles. That car certainly had no handling problems. It was firm in the turns, and felt totally controlled (I took the curvy back road to my destination). I still remember that short drive. Fondly.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371
    kyfdx said:

I also have PSS. Fantastic tires... but, I notice they are wearing out fast (not the tire's fault, I don't think).

I want those for the ZHP but fear the wear factor as well. That car is fun to sling around on the Kumho's. Can't imagine it with PSS.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,492
    of course they wear out quick. Ain't no free lunch. Where do you think the fantastic stick comes from?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    nyccarguy said:

I get his "spread the miles around" logic completely.  @qbrozen is smart.  He knows it's not "cheaper" to buy a 2nd car for him & his wife to drive.  It does give them each a chance to drive something different.  When you drive more than average like we do it gets frustrating at trade in time to hear that your car is "in perfect shape," but the miles "kill it."

For instance, my wife drives her pilot out of necessity. I know she doesn't LOVE it.  Given the choice, she'd much rather drive a sedan or a smaller car around town. We have 3 kids and live in New England, hence the SUV & 4WD.  Our Pilot is almost paid off.  I don't want to buy another $40K SUV.  Now if one of these days I can find her a smokin lease deal on a MINI Cooper S for less than $250 per month would I jump on it?  Yes.  She's got a 5 mile commute round trip.  So if I lease her a car for 10K per year, drive her Pilot 1 week a month I instead of my Legacy, that would save me about 5 k miles per year on the Subie.  15K per year is a lot easier pill to swallow than 20K per year.

is the Subaru going to be worth $9K more ($250 x 36)?  No.  

Yup - I like the approach as well. With our long work commutes, my wife and I each drive around 25k miles a year or so. I end up spreading my miles over my primary driver (currently the S4) and the minivan, out of necessity. For her, she may drive the ZHP convertible once in awhile, but most of her miles are on her primary vehicle, the S3.

We're discussing trading out the ZHP for something more practical to be a year-round secondary driver for her, but the problems are 1) hard to find something around the same price as the ZHP, as nice as the ZHP, even if it is more practical and 2) my wife doesn't necessarily like switching between two cars.

We'll see - if we get more serious, I'll start posting the potential candidates.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,784
    breld said:

We'll see - if we get more serious, I'll start posting the potential candidates.

Here it comes!!! :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    au1994 said:

kyfdx said:

I want those for the ZHP but fear the wear factor as well. That car is fun to sling around on the Kumho's. Can't imagine it with PSS.
    Move up here where it snows.. They last twice as long. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

On another note...

The four saddest words in the English language:

Our taps are down

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    kyfdx said:

On another note...

Our taps are down

That's when my volunteer spirit kicks in and I help move kegs or whatever it takes ;)
    PF_Flyer said:

kyfdx said:

On another note...

Our taps are down

That's when my volunteer spirit kicks in and I help move kegs or whatever it takes ;)
    Sadly, it was a refrigeration problem. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Refrigerators on the way!! ;)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    “You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer.”
    ― Frank Zappa

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Now there is a very interesting and multi talented musician many have probably not heard of. Wasn't one of his kids named Moon Unit or something like that?
    that explains the gold trim on most Lexuses and spoilers/pinstripes on a lot of Hondas in the 1990s

Corvette, sure you aren't talking about those Florida retirement area Lincoln and Toyota local option packages? Don't forget the vinyl top too B)
    Dweezel and Moon Unit. Probably the only kids in their class with those particular names.

so, I have decided this is a good deal, and I really want this car. Not that I will buy it, but might tease NYC a bit!

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2013-infiniti-g37_sedan-4dr_x_awd-used-14379576.html

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2015
    berri said:
    that explains the gold trim on most Lexuses and spoilers/pinstripes on a lot of Hondas in the 1990s Corvette, sure you aren't talking about those Florida retirement area Lincoln and Toyota local option packages? Don't forget the vinyl top too B)
    When I sold cars at Lexus down here in the early 2000's, vinyl roofs were already out, but "gold packages" we're very popular.  Then, when I managed the Infiniti store, pinstripes were the most popular add-on along with plastic door-edge guards.  We added both add-ons to every car except in those cases where the customer did not want them.

At Lexus, we had a guy who hand-painted all the pinstripes - he was a true artist.  The customer would select the color and style from a catalog we had.

Every so often down here in South Florida, you can still see new cars with vinyl roofs and those white and gold sidewall Vogue Tires.

2021 Genesis G90

Variety is the spice in life !
    stickguy said:

so, I have decided this is a good deal, and I really want this car. Not that I will buy it, but might tease NYC a bit!

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2013-infiniti-g37_sedan-4dr_x_awd-used-14379576.html

You're killing me with that post, stick!

Nice car at a nice price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    edited November 2015
    You are evil @stickguy - nice car. Nice price. What's the deal with this place? They always list cheap & don haggle?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

You are evil @stickguy - nice car. Nice price. What's the deal with this place? They always list cheap & don haggle?

At least you're closer ...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@Michaell - it's got less miles on it than my Legacy

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

@Michaell - it's got less miles on it than my Legacy

I bet it has "already been sold but we have others just as good for a few thousand more".

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I'd be afraid to go and test drive it.  Is it possible to walk into a dealership with a 175 horsepower 4 cyl car, test drive one with 151 MORE horsepower, and walk out without punching Ye Old CCBA card?

nyccarguy said:

I'd be afraid to go and test drive it.  Is it possible to walk into a dealership with a 175 horsepower 4 cyl car, test drive one with 151 MORE horsepower, and walk out without punching Ye Old CCBA card?

I hear you. I think I'm going to restrict my test drives next year to stuff that's woefully underpowered, since that's all I really need.

Drove my daughter's MINI last night (all 4 tires needed air) - maybe I'm getting older, but that thing rides rough, and it's pretty noisy. Fast, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    nyccarguy said:

That G37x is a great deal on a great car. If I had it to do over again I'd have kept my G37x over the Q50.

It can't hurt to go drive it. :)
    stickguy said:

I'm still looking at the GS350 they have posted, a lot of car for the money it seems.
    I love that Lexus. Just not in market now. The Infiniti would be an OK consolation prize!

I drove right past the place this morning but did not stop. Far as I know they are fine. Excellent reviews, and been there a long time. Very friendly and low key the few times I stopped in. Cars all look pristine. Even kept inside. Probably low overhead, and they sell quick, often gone before pictures are up. They sell on eBay too and ship all over.

Hey, if you really want, I'm happy to stop and test drive for you!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,927
    nyccarguy said:

Maybe they only buy the dogs? For example, a clean one like that brought over $23k at the block in NJ. One in poor condition in Nashville only got $18k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Deos the Mini have run flat tires on it? If so, you can ditch those and get a more flexible sidewall tire. It transforms the Mini's ride from "punishing" to " annoying".
    Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

I hear you. I think I'm going to restrict my test drives next year to stuff that's woefully underpowered, since that's all I really need.

Drove my daughter's MINI last night (all 4 tires needed air) - maybe I'm getting older, but that thing rides rough, and it's pretty noisy. Fast, though.
    Q, not sure where they get inventory. Some is trades, and they buy cars outright from private sellers. Also do leading, so I suspect some are lease returns. Probably auctions too.

Next time I stop to browse, I'll have to ask.

Deos the Mini have run flat tires on it? If so, you can ditch those and get a more flexible sidewall tire. It transforms the Mini's ride from "punishing" to " annoying".

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

Yes, the OEM Contis are run-flats. She's got 22K on them at the moment, and they probably will need replacing fairly soon.

I'll talk to her about non run-flats, but she likes the ability to drive on them should she get a flat. And, she probably doesn't know any better about ride quality.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,784
    jpp5862 said:

Hah! Tell that one to your wallet! :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Well the problem with run flats is that when you drive on them flat, you often ruin them. So instead of a year membership to AAA, you get to buy a very expensive run flat every time it "saves" you. Or two tires in some cases, if you can't match 'em.

I know, I know, Fear Sells.
    Michaell said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

Yes, the OEM Contis are run-flats. She's got 22K on them at the moment, and they probably will need replacing fairly soon.

I'll talk to her about non run-flats, but she likes the ability to drive on them should she get a flat. And, she probably doesn't know any better about ride quality.
    xwesx said:

jpp5862 said:

Hah! Tell that one to your wallet! :p

:p My wallet would be fine, nyccarguy's wallet may suffer though. Although at that price he shouldn't be too far off on the value for his Legacy.....just saying.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075
    Does the stiffer sidewall of run-flats improve handling as a trade off for the harsher ride?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Well the problem with run flats is that when you drive on them flat, you often ruin them. So instead of a year membership to AAA, you get to buy a very expensive run flat every time it "saves" you. Or two tires in some cases, if you can't match 'em.

I know, I know, Fear Sells.

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

She's only done it once, for about 4-5 miles.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

ab348 said:

Does the stiffer sidewall of run-flats improve handling as a trade off for the harsher ride?

Not sure how much the tires contribute to it .. I know the suspension is 'tuned' for sporty handling, at the expense of tire life.

This is the Countryman, the bigger 4-door. But, it still handles pretty well on the rare occasions when I can hustle it. According to my wife, my daughter doesn't use much of the brakes when going around corners.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator