Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Mystery car pix

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    edited January 2017
    Someone back in the day imagined that a bunch of Yanks would spend hours trying to identify photos of old cars so they put some funky badges on their rides to confuse everyone. :)

More fun than trainspotting though.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    edited January 2017
    I don't know as I've ever seen a V8 Sunbeam Harrington LeMans (geez, that's a mouthful) --so this car might be a "[non-permissible content removed]" of some sort. Have to check that out! Team---get on it! B)
    A rare bird----

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,463
    Buick Estate Wagon, 50-51ish.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Nope, and nope. You're 0-2. Be careful on your next guess... :p
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 2,023
    The front fender says Oldsmobile to me. If it's not 50-51 I'll say 49.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Yep, '49 Olds wagon...not sure of the actual model designation.
    edited January 2017
    We never identified the GT coupe that Michaell thought might be a Maserati. Here it is again

It's not Italian but the styling is by Giugiaro of Bertone and this picture will give you a clue as to it's nationality>

One last clue, power came from a Chevy 327CID V8.

That's a Gordon-Keeble. Very few were made, probably less than 100 of them. Mid 60s.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,913
    I ID'd the Gordon-Keeble 2 days ago B)
    Sorry Fin, I must have missed it. You and Mr. S are right, it's a 1965 Gordon-Keeble GT

Back then if you used the term hybrid in connection w an automobile you were probably talking about a Euro-sourced Gran Turismo utilizing American V8 power. None of them were made in great numbers but there were a bunch of different ones from Monteverdi, Facel-Vega, Iso-Rivolta, Jensen and Bitter to name a few. Most used GM or Chrysler power but the most well-known of all, the Shelby/AC Cobra, used a Ford 289 V8.

There was also Bristol and Sunbeam and even....this one!

• magnettemagnette London UKPosts: 2,621
    Happy New Year everyone.

This is a Simca Vedette Chambord but the convertible is a special I think. About 1958. They did make a huge four door cabriolet as well which was the Presidence and was their parade car for the then head of state - DeGaulle - but he hated it and stuck to the Citroen DS mainly due to its ability to avoid assassination attempts by being able to run on three wheels etc - there is a scene at the beginning of "Day of the Jackel" where they try to shoot him but the DS gets away...
    edited January 2017
    This one was taken in Pollok, Glasgow, in the early fifties I would guess - very atmospheric.

An atmosphere of austerity, better than the late 40s I guess.

My eye is caught by the radiator blind on the car in the foreground, but I will pick off the Standard Vanguard in the background.
  • berriberri Posts: 10,057
    That bustle back 6 window looks kind of neat to the left
    The big bustleback is an Austin A125 Sheerline. Now just for the lead car, the easiest one there - someone pick it off :D
    edited January 2017
    fintail said:

The big bustleback is an Austin A125 Sheerline. Now just for the lead car, the easiest one there - someone pick it off :D

Easy for you maybe but I find pre-1960 Brit sedans the hardest, there were a lot of makers
    and they all sported similar 1930s styling.

That one is probably a Woolsley or some other obscurity... oh wait, I found it on WikiPedia, it's a Sunbeam-Talbot 90

Wikipedia sez a S-T 90 won the Monte Carlo Rallye in 1955!

Well done chaps you got all three - The Austin A125 Sheerline is actually the Limousine version which was probably rarer than the saloon.
    This car is completely outside our period because it is prewar - but it is funny.

• berriberri Posts: 10,057
    Where s the tiny car driver's Shriners cap B)
    edited January 2017
    Not unlike this GM project proposed in 195 by Peter Brock for an American "small car". Does anyone remember the name?

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,874
    cadet?

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

I read a lot of books when I was a kid. Those S-Ts were imported in small numbers to the US, I am pretty sure I have seen one before.

In regards to old more ordinary British cars, fascinating author JG Ballard has a line in his autobiography that sticks in my mind: "Looking down from the rail, I noticed that the streets near the docks were lined with what seemed to be black perambulators, some kind of mobile coal scuttle, I assumed, used for bunkering ships. Later I learned that these were British cars (all made pre-war), a species I had never seen before". Most prewar Euro cars would appear similar.
    andys120 said:

Easy for you maybe but I find pre-1960 Brit sedans the hardest, there were a lot of makers
    and they all sported similar 1930s styling.

Wikipedia sez a S-T 90 won the Monte Carlo Rallye in 1955!

edited January 2017
    The little car was a Rytecraft Scootacar, they made petrol engined fairground dodgem cars initially but from the mid thirties they built a road-legal version too. They also built miniature vans & lorries which were used for publicity purposes.
    Someone drove one of these round the world in the 1960s - the car he used is preserved in the Brooklands museum.

Anzani made the engines.

Here's a publicity brochure.

The bus is an AEC Renown - they built about 1200 in 1929-32 and most were still in service until about 1948.
    Now there's a mobile coal scuttle, sounds like a smaller displacement motorcycle with 4 wheels, a body, and a steering wheel. The tiny headlights might be the most amusing. I swear I've seen one of those vans in an auction catalog, but I might be mistaken.
    There are still a number left apparently....
    stickguy said:

cadet?

Yes, the Cadet. GM management took one look at the prototype and immediately cut off its head, with the sneering curse "GM does not build small cars".

In the 1970s, that became "GM does not build small cars very well". B)
    I'm confused

Looks like a Model X render before they went mouth/grille-less.