Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    tjc78 said:

I could see owning an ATS-V or CTS-V, but there is NOTHING in the Lincoln stable that interests me in the slightest. All of the cars are FWD or FWD biased AWD. Meh to the infinite power.
    Lincoln will never do it, but I wish they would spin a luxury performance coupe off the Mustang platform, something like the old Cougar II concept car:

A modern version of the 84-92 Mark VII would be awesome.  

Agreed, the Mark VII LSC was the last Lincoln I seriously considered buying.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    driver100 said:
    driver100 said:
    A guy I know who was married twice said both marriages were failures and made his life miserable. The first wife left him, and the second wife stayed with him.
    Not sure what is worse :'(
    Driver, that’s the punchline - both are failures!  :D
    Exactly Mike....I am just wondering which one would be worse. From my experience I think staying around would be worse. Better to be alone than with someone you aren't getting along with. That statement is not a reflection on my life at this time, I am 100% satisfied.
    So good to here you are being satisfied, driver!  :D

2021 Genesis G90

driver100 said:
    henryn said:
    A very fine looking kid there, Mike.
    Yes he is - blond hair, blue eyes, tall - must be tough to be that good looking and 17 years old - going to college on a scholarship.  Now if he can just concentrate on studying and his baseball.
    Good looking kid Mike.....good thing I wasn't 6'4" and look like that, I would have been a beach bum and got nowhere in life.
    You know the song about, “...from my personal point of view, make an ugly woman your wife...” to ensure happiness and less stress in life.  Yes, being good looking and smart with blond hair and deep blue eyes, can be stressful - keeping the girls in check!  :D

2021 Genesis G90

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited June 2018
    Iluv, if you must have a Sentra, at least make it a cooler one like this

Hey, fin, thanks for that link! That is the next oldest Sentra design back from the newest body design, which is the 2016-2018 Nissan Sentra design. But that color looks good, the whole car looks good, and the wheels are cool. It just lacks a manual transmission! I bought my first Kia, a Sephia, in their Violet Mist color, in May of 1999. In early 2001 I took my tax refund money and bought it new Yokohama tires and some Konig Diva wheels for it. It looked WAY better and drove a lot better. It gave the Kia Sephia some grip on turns and the car ran well with them on it. I was thinking that I would do the same if I do buy a Nissan Sentra. I'm just doing my normal YouTube video study and KBB study and various article write-up study on the car to try and learn more about it right now. Could just keep the '01 Kia Soul, which just turned over 100,000 miles today, pay it off in 2 years, then decide.

Finally got my wife to discuss a new (er) car purchase plan, it was yesterday. It would involve taking my Boeing pension at 60 and start getting monthly pension payments and save them up. I could buy a car I like (that CPO Sentra in Las Vegas would work) with cash, then dress it up with better wheels first of all. But that is real progress with her to just talk about car purchase plans. She's really pretty sharp with money and we've both learned a lot in the last 7 years or so about money and planning for the future with it. It's an ongoing battle, though, to not spend it as you go along.

Finally, friends, I have to apologize for my behavior of a few days ago. I had a bit of a toothache and I also wasn't sleeping well since I got off work Saturday morning for these several days off. But I don't know why I'm going off on defending Nissan and stuff like that. You guys continue to tell it how it is about Kia, Nissan, Toyota and all of 'em. That's what we do here.

graphicguy - you didn't do anything wrong with me. ab348 - sorry for including you in my rant, and driver100, you too. roadburner - man, I don't hate German cars. I really can't afford one, which is more the truth of the matter. I would no doubt love driving one, and perhaps my future plans will include one. But I apologize for sort of getting up into your face about cars the other day. All I can think of is the pain from my tooth and the lack of sleep plus the pain med all combined to turn iluvmysephia1 in to some sort of an online car monster. Like I said the other day on here, I've been here since December of 2000, and I really get way more out of being here than I feel I lose from being on here, so I look forward to staying on here and continuing to enjoy talking cars out ahead.

Like I said, say what you want about Nissan, Kia, Toyota's guppymouthed Yaris iA, whatever I decide that I like and would like to buy. I fully understand that we don't all like the same rigs. It's a no-brainer. Again, I apologize for my behavior earlier.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    Am I still collecting $5,000 per head? I could use the money....

anyway, as to the pension, without knowing your plan provisions, it is entirely possible there is no point of waiting. If your plan stops accruing at age 60 (some do, some go longer) it would max out the benefit at that point so you only lose money if you don't start.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Am I still collecting $5,000 per head? I could use the money....

anyway, as to the pension, without knowing your plan provisions, it is entirely possible there is no point of waiting. If your plan stops accruing at age 60 (some do, some go longer) it would max out the benefit at that point so you only lose money if you don't start.

stick, no one wanted in on that one! As for my Boeing pension, I could start collecting it right now, but the monthly amount would be less per month if I get it now. It vested and was set many moons ago - I could ask for the full amount in a lump sum right now, or wait until age 60 and get a certain amount or wait until age 62 and get a certain amount. If I wait until 65 I get the highest monthly amount and it continues whenever I start drawing it until I perish. I like Mrs. iluvmysephia1's idea of starting to draw at age 60. Buy a new or newer rig or not, it will give us some money to put away as I work out my final few years leading up to retirement. It will help with health insurance costs necessary before Medicare kicks in and such.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    @iluvmysephia1
    don't sweat it. Glad you weathered the storm and stuck around.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    qbrozen said:

@iluvmysephia1

+1, good to have you back.
    Iluv....you find some interesting cars to compare.....that is always fun, especially when we can hack them to pieces :)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

henryn said:

Yes he is - blond hair, blue eyes, tall - must be tough to be that good looking and 17 years old - going to college on a scholarship.  Now if he can just concentrate on studying and his baseball.
    Good looking kid Mike.....good thing I wasn't 6'4" and look like that, I would have been a beach bum and got nowhere in life.

You know the song about, “...from my personal point of view, make an ugly woman your wife...” to ensure happiness and less stress in life.  Yes, being good looking and smart with blond hair and deep blue eyes, can be stressful - keeping the girls in check!  :D

One of my tennis friends in Florida has been married 5 times.....one of his wives he married twice. The current one was also the first one.

stick, qbrozen and driver100 - thank you all. Life can be difficult when a physical pain is bothering you. It's under control and not hurting any more, thankfully! Some regulars on here, abacomike and ab348 to be specific, have had to endure much more pain and discomfort than I did, too. Hope you two are both doing well.

And driver100, tear those econocars to pieces as you wish, man!  B)

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    All intresting reading  above
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    driver100 said:

One of my tennis friends in Florida has been married 5 times.....one of his wives he married twice. The current one was also the first one.

Some of us on here are that way with vehicles, buy, trade, trade, trade, then back to the first model. Not mentioning any names of course. ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited June 2018
    abacomike said:

Just got this photo taken just before graduation.  He is now 6’4” tall and weighs 215.  His name is Dylan - my older grandson - 17 years old.   ;)

Wow, mens sana incorpore sano (a sound mind in a healthy body). Mike, he looks very fine in his uniform, my 17-year old 5' 11" grand daughter would be a nice match for him but she is in the East and he in the West...alas never the twain shall meet.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

I still think Caddy is making a mistake dumping all the sedan lines (or are they keeping at least 1 big one?). Can see consolidating 3 sizes into 1 maybe. But just seems short sighted.

They are not, not sure where you got that. Over the next year or two they will have 3 sedans on offer: the CT4, CT5, and CT6. The latter already exists and is a lovely vehicle. The other two replace the ATS and CTS. The FWD XTS is going away with no replacement announced.
    The date on that article about Cadillac dumping sedans was done about a year and one CEO ago.

AB...I drove the CT6 for a month. It is indeed competitive with a 5 Series or an E Class. Very nice car....well thought out.

My Father’s Day and Age Cadillac was a big honking V8 with all the goodies available at that point in time. It wasn’t a handler, but sure was a good ride. I have to think there are those who may still value that.

Then again, I saw where Lincoln is dumping the nearly new Continental, which adhered to those virtues, too.

I still think American lux brands are still hindered by image issues. Marketing may or may not be able to address that. So far for Cadillac, showing their cars cruising through NYC hasn’t quite struck a chord.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    berri said:

Lexus big seller ES is FWD. I'm not sure, but think another big seller RX crossover is FWD/AWD.

Every time I see a Lexus ES, at least from the side, I think it’s an LS. I’m sure Lexus does that on purpose. But, being able to out Cadillac with an ES, even with a FWD car based on the more mundane Camry, says more about Lexus’ marketing and image than the inherent goodness (or mediocreness) of the car.
    Mike....good looking grandson. I believe he’s going to do well in life.

@iluvmysephia1 “ain’t a thing”. We’ve all been here way too long to let anything bother us. I’ve certainly been guilty of that in the past myself, however.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165

berri said:

Lexus big seller ES is FWD. I'm not sure, but think another big seller RX crossover is FWD/AWD.

Every time I see a Lexus ES, at least from the side, I think it’s an LS. I’m sure Lexus does that on purpose. But, being able to out Cadillac with an ES, even with a FWD car based on the more mundane Camry, says more about Lexus’ marketing and image than the inherent goodness (or mediocreness) of the car.
    ES is now based on Avalon, not Camry. Avalon is, of course, based on modified Camry or course, but the relationship is now once removed.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    I've called the ES the "Supercamry" for a long time. "Superavalon" doesn't have the same ring to it, and as the old name is technically correct, it sticks. Nice car for what it is though, I'd take an ES over an Avalon just for the slightly less heavy handed styling.
    Based on these days means little. Heck, an Atlas us “based” on a Golf at VW (both on MQB platform). Audi A3 too. Not sure about A4.

I luv, thanks for updates. Some pensions stop accruing earlier (such as maxing out at 60). So in your case, same analysis as when to start taking SS. You can start earlier but get less. So depends on how long you plan to live!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    qbrozen said:

@iluvmysephia1

Ditto!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    @iluvmysephia1

Keep Rockin' On! Glad you decided to stick around!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    driver100 said:

Man, he needs to get out more, meet some new people!

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    Mike....good looking grandson. I believe he’s going to do well in life. @iluvmysephia1 “ain’t a thing”. We’ve all been here way too long to let anything bother us. I’ve certainly been guilty of that in the past myself, however.
    Thanks, GG.  God gave him looks, personality, a strong body and a good mind.  He’s off to a great start - hope he doesn’t stray too far from a path to a great future.

Also, that was the song I was referring to.  :D

2021 Genesis G90

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

henryn said:

Some guys never learn. Living proof that you can't fix stupid. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Abbott and Costello routine, paraphrased:

Never marry a beautiful woman!
    Why?
    She might leave you.
    An unattractive woman might leave you, too.
    Yeah, but who cares.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    After three marriages, the state shouldn't issue another. When you apply, the clerk should just say: "No--you're no good at this."
    edited June 2018
    As it stands right now, the Avalon is probably more updated than the ES.

That said, coming from the guy who loved the Acura TL “beak” period, I’ll take the Avalon and put the extra $10K in my “boy I really like that Mustang” account.
    I like the ES. but I prefer the prior generation (I think through MY 2012?) better. Seemed a tidier size and less busy inside. But I could live with either. Avalon never did anything for me. And way too big.

as to price, the RX's in the showroom were quite pricey. The XL was $58K, a standard length (that I would prefer) was about $55k. Heck, they had an NX sitting there that stickered for almost $49K.

Makes the new RDX (that I liked better anyway) seem like a screaming bargain at only about 40!

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited June 2018

After three marriages, the state shouldn't issue another. When you apply, the clerk should just say: "No--you're no good at this."

Agreed. But an alternative to serial monogamy is the option to have as many wives as you please. In the Maasai culture a man can have two or wives at the same time. What makes this system work is that the wives live in separate homes and take care of different aspects of running the family. For example, one wife is in charge of the farm...planting and harvesting, while another in charge of milking the cows and yet another to tend the goats, etc. Obviously, the larger the man's portfolio the larger his harem. And by the way, the first wife is the head of household.

In the past this arrangement was difficult to pull off but now some of the Maasai tribesmen have pick-up trucks which give new meaning to phrase "making the rounds." Oh, the joy of more sex.
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    bwia said:

Agreed. But an alternative to serial monogamy is the option to have as many wives as you please. In the Maasai culture a man can have two or wives at the same time. What makes this system work is that the wives live in separate homes and take care of different aspects of running the family. For example, one wife is in charge of the farm...planting and harvesting, while another in charge of milking the cows and yet another to tend the goats, etc. Obviously, the larger the man's portfolio the larger his harem. And by the way, the first wife is the head of household.

In the past this arrangement was difficult to pull off but now some of the Maasai tribesmen have pick-up trucks which give new meaning to phrase "making the rounds." Oh, the joy of more sex.
    I can't even get one wife to do anything. Why would I want more of them ignoring me??? B)
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX

Some guys never learn. Living proof that you can't fix stupid. :'(

jmonroe

Or maybe just a masochist.

Actually, he says he is happy now, and leaving was a mistake when he was wild and reckless. But, giving up half of your possessions 4 times! To be car related he also had a Ford Cobra

I think the lesson is....if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

bwia said:

Agreed. But an alternative to serial monogamy is the option to have as many wives as you please. In the Maasai culture a man can have two or wives at the same time. What makes this system work is that the wives live in separate homes and take care of different aspects of running the family.

Oh man, that is sounding more like a job.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    ab348 said:

Tarted up Camrys and Highlanders! :D

GRRRRRR.......

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

Then mandatory counseling and 3 months cooling of period, or 6 months in the slammer.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

We just lost TV cable, internet connectivity and electricity due to some horrific thunder storms - the usual afternoon experiences here in south Florida every summer.  Luckily the cell towers haven’t been affected yet.

2021 Genesis G90

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    driver100 said:

bwia said:

Agreed. But an alternative to serial monogamy is the option to have as many wives as you please. In the Maasai culture a man can have two or wives at the same time. What makes this system work is that the wives live in separate homes and take care of different aspects of running the family.

Oh man, that is sounding more like a job.
    I'll bet those guys will never get all of the pennies out of the jar. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    Not the usual type of post.
    Detroit Train Station clock was returned.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/06/19/thief-returns-stolen-detroit-train-station-clock/714388002/
    Not sure thief is the right term because who knows how they acquired it.
    I messaged a family member who lives in that area, that it sounded like something someone we knew would do.
    They contacted that person and they responded 'It wasn't me, but I saw it years ago where it was displayed'.
    It's great when a hunch pays off. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Good news on the home front, my son was between jobs and just called to tell me he has been hired by Ridgetop Research, "a leading global primary research firm"- he thinks that he will really enjoy it, and it allows him to remain in Charlotte, NC. And it also means I'll get to attend the Bank of America 500 with him in September; he has a friend that will get us pit passes...
    Good news, RB.  Nice part of the country - Charlotte.

2021 Genesis G90

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Have you recently purchased a small used car due to budget reasons or because of gas prices? If so, a journalist would like to chat with you about it. If you're interested, please reach out to PR@edmunds.com no later than 9 a.m. Pacific this Friday, June 22. Thank you!
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Hope you get power back quickly aba - not fun w/o AC in FL
    RB - sounds exciting for both you and your son
    edited June 2018
    It was just announced that Charles Krauthammer has died after a terrible bout with cancer.  For those of you who are unaware of his life and remarkable intellect, he was admired and respected by just about everyone who came into contact with him.

I urge you to google him and read about his diving accident when he was in his early 20’s.  He became a quadriplegic as a result of severing his spinal column after hitting his head.  Yet, he completed medical school at Harvard and served in the Carter administration.  He went from a left progressive to a right of middle conservative and won the Pullitzer Prize in Journalism.

May God keep this man at his side for all eternity.  I will personally miss him - our country has lost a true intellect.  :'(

2021 Genesis G90

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Very nicely put; I hadn't heard yet.

Sad news -- he will be missed by a wide variety of people.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    abacomike said:

We just lost TV cable, internet connectivity and electricity due to some horrific thunder storms - the usual afternoon experiences here in south Florida every summer.  Luckily the cell towers haven’t been affected yet.

Strange power outage going on here in Houston. I work for a major oil company, who owns 2 high rise buildings and leases part of a third here in downtown Houston. They lease maybe 8 or 10 floors in 1600 Smith:

1600 Smith Street, (previously named Continental Center I and also known as Cullen Center Plaza[4]) is a 51-story, 732-foot (223 m) office tower in Downtown Houston, Texas, United States.
    Yesterday, Wednesday morning, about 6:30 a.m., the power went out in 1600 Smith. For a short while they had emergency power, some lights and the elevators still worked. But that didn't last long. Maybe an hour.

The elevators in the adjacent parking garage aren't even working. They were running people up and down in golf carts yesterday morning so they could get out and go home.

Today, Thursday, 4 p.m., internal memo says they hope to have the building re-opened by Monday morning.

And I can't find a word about this on the local news. Not one peep.

I know we have a very diverse group here, anyone know anything about power distribution in a modern high rise building? I'm kind of curious just what happened or could have happened.

And no, no fire, no fire alarm. I have talked to people who were in the building when the power went off.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    You know aba, he sounds a bit like Reagan. Reagan didn't overcome a handicap like that or go Ivy League, but politically had the same history. People call Reagan a right wing conservative, but he wasn't all that radical. Really, more a right center pragmatist who actually really did know how to make a good deal. I like to hear people from both sides of the spectrum, but don't waste my time on whack jobs at both edges of the curve.