Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    fintail said:

Sounds like simple Google timeline tracking - it can be switched off (well, not really, but your ability to see the data can be switched off) - if you're using a mobile phone, your location and history can always be tracked, fact of life. Not sure I trust Google or Amazon etc any more than an app with Chinese, or lately, Russian sponsorship. Personally, I don't worry about that, I am not an important person, and don't do anything worth looking at. Being worried about it branches into tinfoil hat territory, IMHO.

driver100 said:

Mrs D just showed me her cell phone activity for January. It lists how many miles she walked, how many she drove, which stores she visited, what towns she has been in, how much time she spent walking or in a car, and a bunch of other stuff. Now that is scary!

It may not be tin foil hat territory anymore.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9228367/BoA-snooped-hundreds-accounts-looking-Capitol-rioters.html

It's getting scary.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

My scroller is getting worn out!

driver100 said:

It is hard to predict the future.....whatever happened to those little personal helicopters we were all going to be flying?

It's HERE!!!!

Now at a local air national guard base for testing. $226,000 of Ohio taxpayer money subsidizing this.
    As reported in the Dayton Daily Nothing.

I can just imagine the BMW and MB versions of this flying car. LOL

This Mercedes car looks much better;

or this one;

Those aren't real. They're not working models. Like the 1950's idea, they're vaporware.

This is real

^
    |
    |

It's only real once you start seeing them being used by consumers.

driver100 said:

sda said:

I appreciate the clean, logical layout of the instruments, controls and infotainment. Hardly gimmicky and may not provide a wow factor, but very easy to use. No need to pull out the owners manual.

Yes, nice and neat, but what's with all the little red lights?
    I always thought our 2013 Passat was finished beautifully, with lots of content considering the price of the car.
    The little red lights are so you can play fighter pilot on the highway. B)

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    Well, depending on the accuracy of that report, it may or may not. A Daily Mail/Fox News daily double is not always such an ironclad reporting combo.

I would be more troubled by this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/technology-clearview-facial-recognition-1.5899008

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

Well, depending on the accuracy of that report, it may or may not. A Daily Mail/Fox News daily double is not always such an ironclad reporting combo.

I would be more troubled by this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/technology-clearview-facial-recognition-1.5899008
    Well the daily mail is not the only one reporting it nor is fox news, it's just that the daily mail was the first article to pop up on my search.

There are a lot of things going on right now that scar the you know what out of me but I won't go into them here

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    Well, we still aren't as bad off as Britain:

Although I suppose that timid sheeple would actually find that reassuring...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Like I said - you can turn of timeline tracking, but you are still being tracked by your phone, your computer, your cards, and for many, even your car. Corporations will always be intertwined with big brother, the fun distinction is to decipher who controls who.

The "law and order" cult is the type who will say if you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear. The insurrectionists/gravy seals/vanilla Isis at the capitol a few weeks ago definitely did something wrong, so maybe they should have something to fear.
    And my postal mail, too. I just got a special offer sheet from the local Lexus dealer. I've been here 4 months and have never set foot there, but somehow they know my name and address and that I can be tempted by nicer cars.

LOL, you’ll say that until they come for you. Before that they’ll just spam your email. :D

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

fintail said:

Sounds like simple Google timeline tracking - it can be switched off (well, not really, but your ability to see the data can be switched off) - if you're using a mobile phone, your location and history can always be tracked, fact of life. Not sure I trust Google or Amazon etc any more than an app with Chinese, or lately, Russian sponsorship. Personally, I don't worry about that, I am not an important person, and don't do anything worth looking at. Being worried about it branches into tinfoil hat territory, IMHO.

driver100 said:

Mrs D just showed me her cell phone activity for January. It lists how many miles she walked, how many she drove, which stores she visited, what towns she has been in, how much time she spent walking or in a car, and a bunch of other stuff. Now that is scary!

LOL, you’ll say that until they come for you. Before that they’ll just spam your email. :D
    You know.... there is some truth to this. For instance, there is evidence around the world that a speeding ticket doesn't need a law enforcement witness anymore, nor anyone to witness the violation. They can simply take two coordinates on Earth, and if you get from A to B too quickly, they'll assume you sped to do it. Ticket comes in the mail. Then there's talk of installing the devices to handle this legwork right in your vehicle with GPS.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited February 2021
    Is their a survey function on here? I'd like to tally everyone here on whether they've been guilty of speeding in the year of 2021. Then I'd like to find out if anyone is guilty of driving without a seat belt on in the exact same sample time frame of the year 2021 to be fair.

:smile::open_mouth:

I'll go first, guilty on the first count, not guilty on the latter.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    That kind of thing already exists, I think on toll roads in maybe France or Italy. Make it from one toll to the other "too fast", well, there you go.

Of course, nobody will be asked to defend the exact speed limits, because once you work at a certain level in a certain sector, you are untouchable, with platinum bennies and absolute job security.
    andres3 said:

You know.... there is some truth to this. For instance, there is evidence around the world that a speeding ticket doesn't need a law enforcement witness anymore, nor anyone to witness the violation. They can simply take two coordinates on Earth, and if you get from A to B too quickly, they'll assume you sped to do it. Ticket comes in the mail. Then there's talk of installing the devices to handle this legwork right in your vehicle with GPS.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    tjc78 said:

Hey gang. Has anyone been to Beaches in Turks and Caicos?

If so, thoughts?

From the commercials a lot of super models vacation there.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

fintail said:

driver100 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9228367/BoA-snooped-hundreds-accounts-looking-Capitol-rioters.html

It's getting scary.
    And you guys think I’m a nut for using cash. Bawaahaha!👹

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

andres3 said:

Is their a survey function on here? I'd like to tally everyone here on whether they've been guilty of speeding in the year of 2021. Then I'd like to find out if anyone is guilty of driving without a seat belt on in the exact same sample time frame of the year 2021 to be fair.

I routinely do 72 in a 65 as that’s the flow of traffic. So guilty. NY just passed a passenger seat belt requirement but in our company converted cargo vans the seat belts are so complicated as to make them dangerous so....no.

Will they use this social media confession against me at a later date? Only if it benefits THEM I guess.

fintail said:

driver100 said:

It's getting scary.
    And you guys think I’m a nut for using cash. Bawaahaha!👹
    Nope, we just think your nuts no matter what.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

andres3 said:

I routinely do 72 in a 65 as that’s the flow of traffic. So guilty.
    But is it really speeding if you don't get a ticket?
    Isn't that some kind of philosophical question?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Well, we still aren't as bad off as Britain:

Although I suppose that timid sheeple would actually find that reassuring...

There was a lot of crime on the streets in London, and sometimes you have to walk in sparsely populated areas....so they have installed about 500000 cameras that are monitored. Crime has gone way down so yes, I am all in favor of having the cameras.....at least if I get mugged there is a chance they will come and find me.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    stickguy said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

andres3 said:

tjc78 said:

One reason I put together a couple of decent HT systems is because with a few exceptions the local movie theaters had mediocre sound systems. My son agreed and also liked the fact that at the RB Movieplex here are no dimwits talking, phoning, or otherwise making noise. The only downside is that we can’t watch anything at reference levels once my wife goes to bed- because the sub rattles things at the other end of the house(and yes, it’s properly calibrated using Audyssey MultEQ).
    Now with all of the COVID hysteria I think that having an HTS is absolutely essential as most theaters are closed- many permanently.

We are lucky as half the theater room is under our breakfast area which has no second story above it. You can hear the rumbling slightly in my Mom’s room across the house, but it doesn’t bother her enough we can’t use it. I don’t know if the previous owners added extra insulation or not. They did pre-wire for the projector but weren’t using the room as a theater.

I also agree with the audio in the theaters. It’s never that great other than being loud. I’ve always been into home theater even going back to the first Dolby surround receivers (no center channel) and VHS HiFi. Much different then.
    Ahhhh.... VHS.... VCR's. Brings back the memories. I remember Panasonic was the go-to with Hi-Fi VCR's at the end of their life cycle. Who here had one?
    I was still a kid, but my dad was always one to have the latest and greatest. Super-VHS? Was that what it was? I think that was relatively short-lived. No way I'll recall the brand.
    Do you remember Laser Discs before DVD?
    Yes. That was actually one he avoided, though. He said "when the rental store has LDs as readily available as tapes, I'll get a player." That never happened, of course.

DVDs came to our house when I bought him a player as a gift. And I recall Tombstone was the first DVD I bought "for him." ;)
    While I don't remember which DVD we bought first (I know "Gone in 60 Seconds" (remake) was up there), I remember vividly which CD I bought first in 1985 or '86 - Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms".
    That CD was one of the first CDs that finally convinced people that CDs could actually sound good. I still have it.

Our new 2020 CRV has no CD player! What do I do with my collection of over 300 CD's? The CRV has Apple Play and I've heard that I can download CD's to my Apple IPhone. I guess this old dog is going to have to learn some new tricks! To say the controls of the CRV are complicated is a huge understatement! Happy I retired when I did!
    Can copy to iTunes or Apple Music. Or just put on a USB flash drive. Lots of options. I’m just way out of date on current technology.
    Thanks! I'll play around with it. Remember, I'm the guy who just recently FINALLY threw away his box of 8 Track tapes! Could have been a couple of 4 Tracks in that box too!
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    driver100 said:

andres3 said:

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    dad23 said:

I recall a recent discussion on SiriusXM radio. We've had the Tacoma for about a month now and I've been enjoying the free trial subscription, still sorting through all the channels, but it might be one of my little guilty pleasures once it expires. And loving the truck when I get to drive it ;) just hit 500 miles yesterday B)

XM Serius will be calling you soon almost on a daily basis asking you to sign up. I'm on my final week now and I don't think I'm going to RE-UP. They ARE somewhat negotiable sometimes. I tried to work a 10.00 a month deal yesterday over the phone with a gal in the Philippines. We couldn't understand one another so I let it go.

stickguy said:

Helped a dealership out of a jam yesterday. They were up against a deadline from an out of town buyer on a Tahoe swap from Cincinnati to Columbus (and back). Happy to help as long as I didn’t have to drive in the dark.

Helped out...made some nice “take me out to dinner” money for my GF, and was happy to have done it.

Tahoes.....I owned one over 15 years ago. Liked it. Never had any issue with it. Big, comfy, imposing, rule the road feel.

The new one, while different, isn’t too far off the same mark. It handles a little better. Is a little smoother. Has a lot more tech. But, overall it’s the same vehicle Chevy has been making for decades.

The big change is sticker shock. The ones I transported were “LT” models. Pretty well loaded up. But, with stickers knocking on the $70K+ door, it’s a good $25K more than the “LTZ” I had. No thanks!

How’s the bad eye doing?
    Another surgery Tuesday to remove the oil holding the retina in place and replacing with a gas bubble in its place. Hoping I don’t have to go back to having my head down all day and sleeping facedown. We’ll see.
    Good luck on that my friend. This can't be much fun,

Had my ‘98 Cobra with summer tires up to 120 MPH once. While it did “OK” at that speed, it’s very apparent what the differences are between late ‘90s cars (muscle car) and today’s sports (sporty?) sedan/coupes can do.

125+ MPH in the Stinger was stable, sure tracking, and easy to drive. ‘98 Cobra...the steering was light, the body flexed (attribute that to it being a convertible), and it was “twitchy”. As long as I was in a straight line (which I was), everything was good. But, it had a solid rear axle and I had to be very aware of road surface irregularities.

The Stinger doesn’t much care about road irregularities. The suspension tracks with ease at speed.

Before everybody gets their panties in a bunch, the above was done on abandoned stretches of 275 going from OH through IN to KY. Once past the Ohio River going south until the airport, there’s little traffic, particularly at dawn.

My 1962 VW Beetle with its 40 HP engine would cruise all day with my gas pedal to the floor at a blistering 72 MPH. A sudden side gust of wind was terrifying. When I finally had the engine rebuilt, my old German Mechanic Klaus suggested I use all German parts and have a "Big Bore" kit installed which consisted of larger cylinder jugs and pistons. After that performance improved! It would then go 75 MPH!
    dino001 said:

The rotary engine was superior in the fact that it had fewer parts so it was easier and less expensive to repair and it put out more power per displacement. However it had poorer fuel economy than cars with equal power, burned oil (by design it had to) and had very bad emissions.

I remember hearing that it also required rotating piston seal overhaul as part of a normal maintenance much sooner than reciprocating piston engines and many owners were not aware or not prepared to do that, resulting in frequent "fatigue" blowups.
    As the former owner of two RX-7's I have a warm spot in my heart for them. It was AMAZING how those little "beer keg" engines could spool up and how those cars would FLY! Right about the fuel economy and they did struggle passing emissions. Two things would spell disaster...You NEVER EVER wanted to run one low on oil and you NEVER wanted to overheat one. If you blew a hose you needed to immediatly turn off the ignition and pull over. Not like a 55 Chevy when you could just drive to the next off ramp. Great cars that you just don't see anymore!
    driver100 said:

andres3 said:

Yes.
    No,

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,305
    @isellhondas,
    Go onto the Siriusxm website an offer of $5 a month for a year is right at the top.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

dad23 said:

I recall a recent discussion on SiriusXM radio. We've had the Tacoma for about a month now and I've been enjoying the free trial subscription, still sorting through all the channels, but it might be one of my little guilty pleasures once it expires. And loving the truck when I get to drive it ;) just hit 500 miles yesterday B)

XM Serius will be calling you soon almost on a daily basis asking you to sign up. I'm on my final week now and I don't think I'm going to RE-UP. They ARE somewhat negotiable sometimes. I tried to work a 10.00 a month deal yesterday over the phone with a gal in the Philippines. We couldn't understand one another so I let it go.
    I don't know if SiriusXM now uses some sort of predictive algorithm, but for the past couple of years on the 2 Series and X1 I call before the 12 months is up and I ask to renew at my current rate($6/month) and they agree with no questions asked. In December 2018 December SXM was hot to get the radio in the Clubman reactivated; they sent me an email offering three years for $124 with NO automatic renewal. needless to say, I took the deal.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited February 2021

I cleaned and washed the Passat and TL inside and out this afternoon. Silly me didn’t check the weather forecast, rain tonight and tomorrow. I wear the dunce cap handsomely. In addition to cleaning the nooks and crannies, door jambs, under the trunk lid, etc., I often wipe down the engine compartment with a damp towel. I believe the dealer cleaned under the hood of the Passat before I bought it in October and it still looks new.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited February 2021
    @sda Does cleaning snow of your car in 10 degree count as washing your car?

.....another philosophical question :o

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    So nice to see Jordan Spieth playing so well again at the Phoenix Open - just shot a 61 (par is 71) - an unbelievable round of golf with 10 birdies and no bogies.

2021 Genesis G90

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    I would wager that everyone here that drove more than once this year has exceeded a posted speed limit. Getting a ticket for it, that is a different thing. Tree falling in the woods does apply there.

I am so ingrained to wearing belts I put it on if I am backing the car out of the garage to wash it. it feels really weird to be in the car without one on.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977

Perhaps uncovering your car? That’s too cold for me. I’m a southern boy.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

got ambitious today since had nothing else to do after we got back from food shopping, so downloaded the tax software and started that. Ended up finishing it all up and double checking, so went ahead and filed early. Hopefully I don't get screwed with a late adjusted 1099DIV from Vanguard (they did release them all last week so hopefully safe).

smaller refund than last year, but at least I didn't have to send the IRS money (that hurts to do).

I speed every time I drive. Seldom more than 10 over, but 5-10 over, every time. I probably hit 10 over on a few roads today, but these 30 zones on wide open 4 lane roads are moronic at best anyway, and with lax enforcement, there you go.
    andres3 said:

stickguy said:

I would wager that everyone here that drove more than once this year has exceeded a posted speed limit. Getting a ticket for it, that is a different thing. Tree falling in the woods does apply there.

I am so ingrained to wearing belts I put it on if I am backing the car out of the garage to wash it. it feels really weird to be in the car without one on.

Well Speeding is defined as exceeding the speed limit, no need to receive a ticket to qualify it as speeding.

As for a tree falling in the forest and no one is around to hear it of course it makes a sound. The laws of physics don't change if someone is not there. just because no one is there to hear it doesn't mean the sound didn't exist.

Now the real question is if a man says something in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him is he still wrong?

stickguy said:

got ambitious today since had nothing else to do after we got back from food shopping, so downloaded the tax software and started that. Ended up finishing it all up and double checking, so went ahead and filed early. Hopefully I don't get screwed with a late adjusted 1099DIV from Vanguard (they did release them all last week so hopefully safe).

smaller refund than last year, but at least I didn't have to send the IRS money (that hurts to do).

I got a dozen tax returns done already this year and not a single one was mine.

That 3 year deal is pretty nice. I've been on the $6/month (includes all fees) for several years. I am OK with that, anything more, no deal. Next time I'll try to remember that 3 year offer.

I don't know if SiriusXM now uses some sort of predictive algorithm, but for the past couple of years on the 2 Series and X1 I call before the 12 months is up and I ask to renew at my current rate($6/month) and they agree with no questions asked. In December 2018 December SXM was hot to get the radio in the Clubman reactivated; they sent me an email offering three years for $124 with NO automatic renewal. needless to say, I took the deal.

sda said:

I cleaned and washed the Passat and TL inside and out this afternoon. Silly me didn’t check the weather forecast, rain tonight and tomorrow. I wear the dunce cap handsomely. In addition to cleaning the nooks and crannies, door jambs, under the trunk lid, etc., I often wipe down the engine compartment with a damp towel. I believe the dealer cleaned under the hood of the Passat before I bought it in October and it still looks new.

It was above freezing today so I dug the hose out of the snow and washed out the wheel wells of my Kia and my son’s Fusion. Tried to wash the salt off the cars but it didn’t do much. Why does salt need warm soapy water, isn’t it water soluble?

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011

sda said:

It was above freezing today so I dug the hose out of the snow and washed out the wheel wells of my Kia and my son’s Fusion. Tried to wash the salt off the cars but it didn’t do much. Why does salt need warm soapy water, isn’t it water soluble?
    No soap in ocean water...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

fintail said:

That 3 year deal is pretty nice. I've been on the $6/month (includes all fees) for several years. I am OK with that, anything more, no deal. Next time I'll try to remember that 3 year offer.

back when XM first came out (must be 15 years + at this point), they offered a lifetime plan (1 payment, I think maybe $400?) My BIL got a unit (all portable back then) and did that. I think he had it a long time, but I know at some point they tried to weasel out of it. I think it was related to switching it to new devices. Sneaky, because the radio tech kept evolving, people got built in XM in the car, and sometimes the old unit broke. I need to ask him next time we see him (has to happen again some day!) what ever happened with that.

fintail said:

I think they only offer that to people with older cars that haven't had an active subscription for some time.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543

NO, that isn’t even a wannabe detail job.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    stickguy said:

I send the IRS money every year...just not as much as it should be.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I've heard about that. Thrift store flippers look for the Sirius/XM devices with lifetime subscriptions, apparently they have some value.
    stickguy said:

back when XM first came out (must be 15 years + at this point), they offered a lifetime plan (1 payment, I think maybe $400?) My BIL got a unit (all portable back then) and did that. I think he had it a long time, but I know at some point they tried to weasel out of it. I think it was related to switching it to new devices. Sneaky, because the radio tech kept evolving, people got built in XM in the car, and sometimes the old unit broke. I need to ask him next time we see him (has to happen again some day!) what ever happened with that.

D'oh. Surprised they are that proactive, really chasing those revenue streams.

I think they only offer that to people with older cars that haven't had an active subscription for some time.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    stickguy said:

fintail said:

When Howard Stern 1st left for Sirius, I bought a new head unit & speakers for my Prelude as well as a lifetime subscription.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    I was bad today. An idiot was blocking the left lane at 5 under..:. Passed on the right at XXX speed.

Didn’t get caught so it doesn’t count. :)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    stickguy said:

Still waiting on one W2 and then off to accountant. All screwed up this year. Multiple employers, unemployment and the extra unemployment from the fed. Going to be an interesting tax year.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

good luck. I just answer the questions in the software and enter all the forms I got. And hope I like the number it spits out. The multiple employers was a hassle, having to enter extra W2s. If you are lucky you had too much total FICA taken out, so you get a credit back!

I'm still waiting on a couple of 1099 forms and some charitable receipts.