Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    Imagine my surprise when I came across this on ebay. I emailed the owner last night and offered $4,500. We'll see if he comes to his senses already.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Acura-Integra-GSR/253630429711?hash=item3b0d8d3a0f:g:DdoAAOSw40la~jis
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    pensfan83 said:

Imagine my surprise when I came across this on ebay. I emailed the owner last night and offered $4,500. We'll see if he comes to his senses already.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Acura-Integra-GSR/253630429711?hash=item3b0d8d3a0f:g:DdoAAOSw40la~jis

Judging by the starting bid, I'd say not a chance.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    stickguy said:

I'm just getting antsy. even though I did just buy a car last October. I think the paid off equity in the RDX is burning a hole in my pocket!

what I really need is to stumble over some killer X1 loaner lease deal, which I am sure my wife would be OK driving, then Carmax the RDX to get the cash to pay off the Elantra. That way still just one payment. Or trade the Elantra in on the lease (I assume that still offsets the sales tax?)

or I should just stop thinking about this stuff!

first step is a stop at the VW dealer to drive a new Jetta. See how in love we are with it. If the daughter really wants one, can start the song and dance to find a lease payment that works. Will actually save some money that way. She gets recent college graduate bonus, I save on the lease turn in fee, and I think there is a returning customer bonus too. With all that going on, should be able to get a new SE for what we are paying on the sport, if I work at it.

she would like that low payment, and in 3 years, can just buy it out, and still have 3 years of warranty left.

probably easier than me selling her the elantra at a discount. If I really want something else, could just sell it or trade it in instead!

For what it's worth, there isn't much discounting or lease incentive on the new Jetta right now because there is not much inventory. I suspect we'll need to wait until sometime in the fall/holidays to see reasonable deals on them.
  • Options
    I would go to $5,000 if I needed but I fully acknowledged I was offering below the starting bid however based on the need for new tires, shabby rims, and various dings/dents it was all I would do. This is the same car from the BaT auction that ended at $5,900 so starting off at $5,000 would seem to be counterproductive (IMO).
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    Oh! I don't disagree with your offer - I meant that it is highly unlikely that the owner has come to his senses.

What I'm finding at this price point is that everyone has a number that they're willing to let it go for, and below that number, they'd rather keep. My guess is his reserve is somewhere around $6500-$7000 and there simply isn't a chance it sells for that.
  • Options
    Ahhh gotcha....I don't think he has either. When looking at the GS-R's that are pulling down $7K-$10K this one isn't in the same league.

What I'm finding at this price point is that everyone has a number that they're willing to let it go for, and below that number, they'd rather keep.

Good point....I'm probably going to need to adjust my budget or scrap the idea altogether.
  • Options
    I basically had to decide on the Viggen if, even after dumping $2k plus into it to get it sorted to the point mechanically, if I'd still be happy with it with a $4k initial investment. I surveyed the landscape and decided there is simply nothing I could get at that price point ($6k total upfront investment including mechanical) that would make me happy. So it was worth it.

The seller told me for less than $4000 he'd simply keep it until it exploded. Simply too cool of a car to let it reach it's demise that way.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Pretty sure the new plan is to let her get new. Jetta most likely candidate. If the leases need time to improve, can wait. Most likely will be a Labor Day event, with her just using my car temporarily.

One factor is she will be moving to Delaware. Land of no sales tax. So likely will want to wait until she is a resident there first. Which likely will be 9/1. But not much later. Our insurance renews annually, I think on 9/15, and I want her off before then.

Once she is sorted out, I doubt I make it past Christmas before making a fleet adjustment.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Punch list? Slow going so far for 2018! Eleven including SB55's recent report (his daughter's Soul - muahahahahah!).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    edited May 2018

pensfan83 said:

This is the same one we saw a couple weeks ago on a different site, yes? EDIT: Nevermind! Conversation continued and question answered!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    stickguy said:

too bad I am not a Costco member. Not one close enough to me to make it useful....

Well, if by any chance you do buy a Volvo it might be worth it to joint Costco anyway for $60 if it'll save you more than $3k.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    nyccarguy said:
    This of course, is all subject to change.
    Welcome to my world!
    Speaking of, you need to update your signature line sir. Is your Saab the only punch of the month? @corvette How are we doing on punches as we are almost 1/2 way through 2018? How are we doing compared to last year? We have shareholders to answer to ya know.
    We have 11 punches so far this year compared to 24 last year. Get to work, people!  :p
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

Did get a mailer from Lexus dealer. Get a $75 gift card for test driving new RX350l model. Yes, we are going!

Good lease offers on that model. But it looks like it has horrible rear visibility.

You probably already know this, but Costco has a $3000 extra incentive on some Volvos right now....

"VOLVO SPECIAL OFFER
    Purchase or lease an eligible, new Volvo May 1, 2018 – July 2, 2018 to receive:*
    Volvo Employee Pricing
    Costco member incentives
    $3,000 incentive on a 2018 S90, V90 & V90 Cross Country
    $750 incentive on a 2018 XC90 & XC60
    Additional national Volvo incentives for which you qualify
    Plus, receive a $250 Costco Cash Card after completing a Costco Auto Program survey"
    They've added the V90CC. Hmm.

Noted.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    corvette said:

nyccarguy said:

Welcome to my world!
    Speaking of, you need to update your signature line sir. Is your Saab the only punch of the month?

@corvette

How are we doing on punches as we are almost 1/2 way through 2018? How are we doing compared to last year? We have shareholders to answer to ya know.

We have 11 punches so far this year compared to 24 last year. Get to work, people!  :p

I'm guessing the @breld tally is way down from 2017.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    tifighter said:

benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

Did get a mailer from Lexus dealer. Get a $75 gift card for test driving new RX350l model. Yes, we are going!

Good lease offers on that model. But it looks like it has horrible rear visibility.

You probably already know this, but Costco has a $3000 extra incentive on some Volvos right now....

"VOLVO SPECIAL OFFER
    Purchase or lease an eligible, new Volvo May 1, 2018 – July 2, 2018 to receive:*
    Volvo Employee Pricing
    Costco member incentives
    $3,000 incentive on a 2018 S90, V90 & V90 Cross Country
    $750 incentive on a 2018 XC90 & XC60
    Additional national Volvo incentives for which you qualify
    Plus, receive a $250 Costco Cash Card after completing a Costco Auto Program survey"
    They've added the V90CC. Hmm.

Noted.
    Standard pricing for A-Plan is 6% discount + $3000 A-Plan Incentive + Any Available Volvo Incentives ($2250 in the PNW). However, at least for the rest of this month, dealers can go deeper than a 6% discount. Standard target for the S90 is 10%.

Residuals aren't great though so even with all of the above, it's still an expensive car to lease.
  • Options
    corvette said:

nyccarguy said:

Welcome to my world!
    Speaking of, you need to update your signature line sir. Is your Saab the only punch of the month?

@corvette

How are we doing on punches as we are almost 1/2 way through 2018? How are we doing compared to last year? We have shareholders to answer to ya know.

I'm trying! Will for sure have at least 1 this year.

• Options
    benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

too bad I am not a Costco member. Not one close enough to me to make it useful....

Well, if by any chance you do buy a Volvo it might be worth it to joint Costco anyway for $60 if it'll save you more than $3k.
    wonder if there is a waiting period? Or can you just swing by Costco on the way to the dealer, sign up, and be good to go? That I would do. Considering I became an Uber driver when buying my last car, joining Costco is a piece of cake.

I just have no interest in any 90 model. Just a 60 (S, XC or V all could work).

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

pensfan83 said:

Well I dunno...his starting bid creates a complete WHIFF--he struck out with 0 bids and only a day left.

The world has spoken, and it said "Too much".
    (at least so far)

Mr. Auction's Handy Tips: "don't put in a starting bid price that's close to the total value of your car if you have a reserve on it--DOH!"

• Options
    stickguy said:
    wonder if there is a waiting period? Or can you just swing by Costco on the way to the dealer, sign up, and be good to go? That I would do. Considering I became an Uber driver when buying my last car, joining Costco is a piece of cake. I just have no interest in any 90 model. Just a 60 (S, XC or V all could work).
    30 day waiting period. 
  • Options
    so I better decide early!

Thanks.

• Options
    We’ve had a Costco membership for years. The A Plan deal comes goes throughout the year.  So if you miss it this go, it’ll be back. 

We shop there every week and get gas every week because they are less than a mile from us, so the membership pays for itself.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    I like the wholesale club, in the south jersey area BJs is the goto.  We have Sams and I believe a Costco in the next county up, but really out of the way.  There are three BJs closer than that.   

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    we belong to BJs too. Only one at all convenient enough to us to use. We like it. Hard to say if it pays for itself, but milk is really cheap at least!

• Options
    The gas alone here saves about $.40/gallon. 
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    edited May 2018
    stickguy said:
    we belong to BJs too. Only one at all convenient enough to us to use. We like it. Hard to say if it pays for itself, but milk is really cheap at least!
    Two of the theee for us.   Deptford by the house and Voorhees isn’t too far from Work (can run up for something quick at lunch). 

The Maple Shade one was right by my old office in Moorestown.  That one has liquor ! 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Good lease offers on that model. But it looks like it has horrible rear visibility. You probably already know this, but Costco has a $3000 extra incentive on some Volvos right now.... "VOLVO SPECIAL OFFER Purchase or lease an eligible, new Volvo May 1, 2018 – July 2, 2018 to receive:* Volvo Employee Pricing Costco member incentives $3,000 incentive on a 2018 S90, V90 & V90 Cross Country $750 incentive on a 2018 XC90 & XC60 Additional national Volvo incentives for which you qualify Plus, receive a $250 Costco Cash Card after completing a Costco Auto Program survey"
    They've added the V90CC. Hmm. Noted.
    Standard pricing for A-Plan is 6% discount + $3000 A-Plan Incentive + Any Available Volvo Incentives ($2250 in the PNW). However, at least for the rest of this month, dealers can go deeper than a 6% discount. Standard target for the S90 is 10%. Residuals aren't great though so even with all of the above, it's still an expensive car to lease.
    Even with the awful resids, I have been seeing good deals posted. Well below the 1% rule, anyway.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    if later in the summer can get .8% on a V60, I will bite!

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    corvette said:

nyccarguy said:

Welcome to my world!

@corvette

I am hoping to add 1 punch by year end by giving the Accord to my daughter and buying a different car for me. Yes car, not CUV, SUV or truck!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    That’s the spirit @stickguy & @sda!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    qbrozen said:
    Good lease offers on that model. But it looks like it has horrible rear visibility. You probably already know this, but Costco has a $3000 extra incentive on some Volvos right now.... "VOLVO SPECIAL OFFER Purchase or lease an eligible, new Volvo May 1, 2018 – July 2, 2018 to receive:* Volvo Employee Pricing Costco member incentives $3,000 incentive on a 2018 S90, V90 & V90 Cross Country $750 incentive on a 2018 XC90 & XC60 Additional national Volvo incentives for which you qualify Plus, receive a $250 Costco Cash Card after completing a Costco Auto Program survey"
    They've added the V90CC. Hmm. Noted.
    Standard pricing for A-Plan is 6% discount + $3000 A-Plan Incentive + Any Available Volvo Incentives ($2250 in the PNW). However, at least for the rest of this month, dealers can go deeper than a 6% discount. Standard target for the S90 is 10%. Residuals aren't great though so even with all of the above, it's still an expensive car to lease.
    Even with the awful resids, I have been seeing good deals posted. Well below the 1% rule, anyway.
    I’m sure it’s under 1%. But unfortunately my views of Volvo are through the lens of <$400 S90 T6 deals. 
  • Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    Michaell said:
    nyccarguy said:
    Welcome to my world!
    Speaking of, you need to update your signature line sir. Is your Saab the only punch of the month? @corvette How are we doing on punches as we are almost 1/2 way through 2018? How are we doing compared to last year? We have shareholders to answer to ya know.
    I'm guessing the @breld tally is way down from 2017.
    24 total in 2017 or 24 by this date? 

I'm 50/50 to add one here by the end of the year. 
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,287

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Been hit with a case of Norovirus. Down for the count for a bit. 
  • Options
    Hope you feel better soon, 28ff! 
  • Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    Tough, 28ff. You've been through the wringer, healthwise. Hope you get better soon.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    edited May 2018
    Yes, get better soon. Stinks getting sick which I just learned the hard way. Besides my chronic back issues, never been ill and now, no more gall bladder.
    28FF, take care of yourself and get better quickly. Don’t push yourself though, one day at a time!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Okay everyone, wipe down your keyboards until this blows over. :p

Get well 28.
  • Options

Been hit with a case of Norovirus. Down for the count for a bit. 

Get better soon!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited May 2018
    Speaking of illness, anyone ever get awful general body aches, muscle and joint soreness, but not with the other flu-like symptoms (other than a headache and maybe some chills), and then it goes away after feeling awful for about 20 hours?

I'm thankful it only lasted a day, but man it was bad the night of.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

Okay everyone, wipe down your keyboards until this blows over. :p

Or maybe wipe down the Viggen.

Get well 28.
    Ditto!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Ha. Thanks all. 

Viggen was getting some work done since Tuesday. Was supposed to get it back yesterday but couldn’t get out of bed to do it. 

Hoping to get it back today. 
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    28FF....that’s a helluva way to lose weight. Get well, my friend!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Just weighed myself, down to 144 and started at 150 the day before I got sick. So gaining the weight back slowly but am more hungry now. Was on an all liquid diet and then a low fiber one in hospital. Food was pretty decent but since I haven't been in one since 1981, have no basis to compare it with. All I know, it was just too much to eat in bed but was pretty good. Rehab stuff was garbage to be honest and left 1/2 the plate.
    Eating better here at home.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    andres3 said:
    Speaking of illness, anyone ever get awful general body aches, muscle and joint soreness, but not with the other flu-like symptoms (other than a headache and maybe some chills), and then it goes away after feeling awful for about 20 hours? I'm thankful it only lasted a day, but man it was bad the night of.
    Yeah, I’ve had that before. Happened once when I was assembling a new grill on my deck. Not a strenuous task but I thought I was going to pass out before I finished! 
  • Options

Ha. Thanks all. 

Viggen was getting some work done since Tuesday. Was supposed to get it back yesterday but couldn’t get out of bed to do it. 

Do you think you picked this up in some capacity from Sam's daycare? Maybe his immune system can fight it, but yours can't. Get well my friend!

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    nyccarguy said:

Ha. Thanks all. 

Do you think you picked this up in some capacity from Sam's daycare? Maybe his immune system can fight it, but yours can't. Get well my friend!

+1

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    If you have little kids, you get sick a lot. This too will pass!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Doctor just left, seems I have vertigo which is effecting my balance, it’s making me want to fall a lot. Once we figure this out and deal with it, think things will progress much quicker. Will put off driving till I get a better handle on all this. But still set my goal as June 11th as my first day back. Depending how I feel will decide if I work all day or make it a half day and work my way back up. I don’t want to slow the operations down or have an accident, so better to work my way back up to 10 hours/day and not look for trouble.
    Glad they are keeping my job for me as I do want to go back. The auction, not so much and am ready to stop. So, we see how things go.

• Options
    Stinks to be sick over a holiday weekend but rest up @28firefighter and get well soon.