Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    No NDA! I would have refused!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    jwilliams2jwilliams2 Member Posts: 910

Today's laugh on Craigslist:

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/5327513949.html

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/5327382505.html

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/5327081292.html

You would think these scammers would switch up some of the copy between ads. Does anybody know what language that is at the bottom?

I believe the language is Romanian....
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    No NDA! I would have refused!
    Ha!  Fair enough. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Honestly....I have nothing else to add about the Cadillac ordeal. I can't add anything that I haven't already said over and over and over. No matter some of the comments, Cadillac screwed the pooch with me. In addition to me, they lost about a dozen potential customers just me talking to people who asked how I liked my car. They lost a bunch with me, too! They come across as a bunch of arrogant buffoons.

That's it. I'm done.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    For whatever it's worth, I'll likely never buy a Cadillac as a result of your ordeals.  Too much risk. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    edited November 2015
    stickguy said:

my local go-to used car place is getting a nice sounding GS350 in. Dark gray (Nebula?) over Flaxen (medium brownish). I looked up pictures online and it looks snazzy. Pretty loaded (even though a base) with rear heated seats, navi, BLIS and lane watch, etc. A 2013.

I always liked these when I sat in them at the car show, but have never driven one. Might have to go check one out in person some day.

Not positive, but I think engine stop/start would drive me nuts. unless it was totally undetectable.

Forgive my ignorance of car letter-number naming but what brand is a GS350? Why car companies got away from specific names like Deville or Mustang puzzles me.

The stop-start feature would drive me crazy as well. Having many a car in the past with a stop-stall-no start feature I would always think something was broken.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    Oldfarmer, the GS350 is made by Lexus.
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    nyccarguy said:

NJ guys (speaking of, where is @fezo), I was at a wedding in Red Bank over the weekend.  That's quite a town.  Parked on the street I saw an MB SLS AMG, an Alfa Romeo 8C, a slew of AMGs & ///M cars.
    Hey, that's where we were Sat evening at the exotic car boutique dealership.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    @graphicguy

Glad it all worked out for you. I had a horrible GM experience as well, and attempted a buy back. This was back in 2000 with a 99 Olds 88. I finally tired and just traded out of the car at a loss. I spent a good bit of time away from GM and told my story all the time. I've since gone back, but hearing stories like yours make me cringe.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    There used to be an "Inconsiderate Driver's" tell your stories etc thread. I can't find it, can anyone point me to it, if there still is one?

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    My SIL had a terrible time with a lemon Mercedes ML, with an eventual attorney and buy-back taking place over a 12 mos. time period. Having an intimate knowledge of the company's arrogance and obstinence, however, didn't keep me from obtaining two brand new E-Class Benzes following this. The Cadillac experience, however, would definitely give me pause.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    tjc78 said:

There used to be an "Inconsiderate Driver's" tell your stories etc thread. I can't find it, can anyone point me to it, if there still is one?

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/5151218/#Comment_5151218

Be sure to click the star at the top to make it show up in your bookmarks. The topic has been unpinned
    so it floats to the bottom of your bookmarks.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    @imidazol97
    Thanks!

• Options

stickguy said:

my local go-to used car place is getting a nice sounding GS350 in. Dark gray (Nebula?) over Flaxen (medium brownish). I looked up pictures online and it looks snazzy. Pretty loaded (even though a base) with rear heated seats, navi, BLIS and lane watch, etc. A 2013.

I always liked these when I sat in them at the car show, but have never driven one. Might have to go check one out in person some day.

Not positive, but I think engine stop/start would drive me nuts. unless it was totally undetectable.

Forgive my ignorance of car letter-number naming but what brand is a GS350? Why car companies got away from specific names like Deville or Mustang puzzles me.

The stop-start feature would drive me crazy as well. Having many a car in the past with a stop-stall-no start feature I would always think something was broken.

OF....don't know if I'll get used to the auto "start/stop" or not. Seems to make a difference in MPG. And, having test driven some vehicles with the same feature, I can say that Caddy's is the best implemnation of them all. But, it still sort of takes me by surprise more when it shuts down than when it starts back up (which is pretty darned smooth compared to the likes of BMW's implementation).

Kind of a nice feature at long red lights, though.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Aside from a cinder block dropped off a building, does anything depreciate faster than an AMG?
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

NJ guys (speaking of, where is @fezo), I was at a wedding in Red Bank over the weekend.  That's quite a town.  Parked on the street I saw an MB SLS AMG, an Alfa Romeo 8C, a slew of AMGs & ///M cars.

Hey, that's where we were Sat evening at the exotic car boutique dealership.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    "Aside from a cinder block dropped off a building, does anything depreciate faster than an AMG? "

Volkswagon Diesels.... :open_mouth:

• Options
    tjc78 said:

"Aside from a cinder block dropped off a building, does anything depreciate faster than an AMG? "

Volkswagon Diesels.... :open_mouth:

Curious what resale values are like on something like SMART Cars? Or, Fiat 500s?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    Looks like ~50% depreciation on a base Fiat 500 over 5 years per TCO.

Not quite as bad on the cheaper Smart - didn't realize they were quite that cheap. $13k and change. (TCO)

Rather have a Versa for even less though. Depreciation on one of those is around 50% over 5 years too.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

When driver100 said it was on his car, I hadn't realized how many companies had implemented auto stop/start. But the Malibu's use of it is so well done, that I didn't realize it had turned off and back on when I was doing the test drive loop. I had gotten off the interstate and made two stops at lights to take a back highway returning to the Chevy store. As soon as the brake pedal starts to release pressure on the brake system, the restart occurs before the brake has completely released. I have used that at a long light and let the engine restart without releasing the brake completely.

Do the gauges do that fell-sweep dance when it restarts? I assume not.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Some AMGs are 25% of MSRP after 4-5 years.
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    edited November 2015

Honestly....I have nothing else to add about the Cadillac ordeal. I can't add anything that I haven't already said over and over and over. No matter some of the comments, Cadillac screwed the pooch with me. In addition to me, they lost about a dozen potential customers just me talking to people who asked how I liked my car. They lost a bunch with me, too! They come across as a bunch of arrogant buffoons.

That's it. I'm done.

GG, But, other than that, how do you like the car?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    tjc78 said:

TJC, you can share it with us......cars and conversation!

• Options
    Nothing to share, just always liked reading that one on the old forum software.

• Options
    edited November 2015

"
    oldfarmer50">

1) They use letters and numbers because they ran out of real names, that are usable. I kind of wonder about the Dodge Nitro....sounds like a car terrorists would use.

2) It isn't as bad as it seems once you get used to it. I think it is a good thing when the engine shuts off during a long light or if a train is going by, it probably saves up to 4 or 5% of gas. Like imid says, there are ways to control it.

• Options
    tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,094
    1:40PM
    Nothing to share, just always liked reading that one on the old forum software
    Just come down to Florida...you can see them in person every day.

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited November 2015
    driver100 said:

1) They use letters and numbers because they ran out of real names, that are usable. I kind of wonder about the Dodge Nitro....sounds like a car terrorists would use.

Funny. Just imagine the advertising - the car is explosive!

Not to mention other implications, like saying "I have a Nitro down in the parking garage" inside of a federal building, causing an evacuation and getting charged with a threat hoax.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    dino001 said:

driver100 said:

Funny. Just imagine the advertising - the car is explosive!

Not to mention other implications, like saying "I have a Nitro down in the parking garage" inside of a federal building, causing an evacuation and getting charged with a threat hoax.

That is funny.....lol

It's like that movie when a guy sees his friend at the airport and says really loud....Hi....Jack! And, all the airline guards tackle the guy.

• Options
    stever said:

Looks like ~50% depreciation on a base Fiat 500 over 5 years per TCO.

Not quite as bad on the cheaper Smart - didn't realize they were quite that cheap. $13k and change. (TCO)

Rather have a Versa for even less though. Depreciation on one of those is around 50% over 5 years too.

Thanks, Steve!

Driver....the '16 CTS is better than the '14 CTS in just about every way. It's faster. It handles better. It's a much smoother operating drivetrain. The electronics are better. It has more features. Braking is about the same, though (which is still quite good).

IF (BIG IF) it doesn't have issues, it will make a very nice car for someone in the near future.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Sorry for abruptly leaving, but I have had so many problems with this new medication. They found out in my blood test that I was anemic from one of the drugs I am taking. So I had to have two units of blood IV to bring up my red blood cell count. That was Friday. I feel a little better, but still weak and I get out of breath very quickly after walking just a short distance. I hope I don't need any more blood.

But, all of you who said I would never, ever make it to an oil change on this Mercedes Benz E400 WON THE BET! I just bought a new 2016 Mercedes Benz CLS 400 in Diamond White Metallic and light (very light) interior leather seating with Piano Black wood throughout the interior. I never thought I would do this after having problems with the 2014 CLS 550 (visibility and height), but since I have lost so much weight, I fit perfectly in this new car.

MSRP was $78,495 and I paid $67,738. I had a $3500 incentive from USAA, a $500 incentive from Mercedes Benz Club of America and a $2000 credit from MBUSA as a gesture due to the experience I had last October with the build of my first E400. So, I paid approximately invoice less the fleet incentives and MBUSA credit.

This car has the V6 twin turbo at 330 hp and 3.0 L. When I test drove the car, it was more than powerful enough - sure didn't need the V8.

Again, my apologies for leaving the way I did - but my health has not been the best - but thanks to all for understand, and my apologies to Robr.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Oh, Mike....

That is just hilarious! But congratulations on the new ride! Colors sound nice too. Pictures when you have a chance would be nice.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited November 2015
    Mike, sorry you're not feeling tip-top, but it's temporary, and that beautiful new car will help! Heck of a deal, BTW.
  • Options
    ab348 said:
    Oh, Mike.... That is just hilarious! But congratulations on the new ride! Colors sound nice too. Pictures when you have a chance would be nice.
    I actually had an appointment for my first A Service for next Tuesday for the E 400.  I also bought this Mercedes locally - about a mile and a half from me.  That should save me 2000 miles a year in driving since instead of 21 miles each way up to Delray Beach, it's 1-1/2 miles each way to my new dealer.  They gave me the same pricing I used to get from my old dealer.

The experience was much more pleasant actually buying the car.  It was fast and professional at Coconut Creek Mercedes - I told them what I would pay (after researching the car) out the door and, after about 20 minutes, the GSM came over and shook my hand - "...we have a deal...!"

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Welcome back Mike....good to have you back (hope Rob is reading and returns too, he came up with some good info).

I didn't think you would buy again until the new E Class came out, but, I should have known better.

Color choice sounds fabulous......Edmunds gives the CLS400 a great review.....ride it well.

• Options
    driver100 said:
    Welcome back Mike....good to have you back (hope Rob is reading and returns too, he came up with some good info). I didn't think you would buy again until the new E Class came out, but, I should have known better. Color choice sounds fabulous......Edmunds gives the CLS400 a great review.....ride it well.
    Thanks, driver.  That's an exact replica of what the new car looks like. :smile: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited November 2015

Thanks, Steve!

Driver....the '16 CTS is better than the '14 CTS in just about every way. It's faster. It handles better. It's a much smoother operating drivetrain. The electronics are better. It has more features. Braking is about the same, though (which is still quite good).
    IF (BIG IF) it doesn't have issues, it will make a very nice car for someone in the near future.

GG, Seriously, I thought you would like the new car enough that if it ran well you would want to keep it. It is hard to win back trust though, no matter how good the product. One girlfriend from way back taught me a great lesson...she said you can't love someone if you don't respect them. I don't think you respect the manufacturer any more, so you can't love your car.

(btw....the girlfriend at the time was saying that in general, not about me....just to clarify)

• Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Mike, I don't see much difference after comparing pics side by side. 16 looks to be about an inch or 2 lower in roofline and has slightly different side pressings. Big question is...which one is faster?
    ps You need to update your signature.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    Mike...welcome back. Sorry that your meds need to be tweaked. Big congrats on the new car.

Driver....smart girlfriend. I agree with her. Respect is a funny thing...so easy to promise, so hard to earn.
  • Options
    Not the best pics, but here are some my sister took of the '16 CTS (she really likes it) as someone said they wanted to see them.

• Options
    GG, Love the looks of the Caddie....they even got the exhausts right.

It looks good in every color too....

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    Nice looking car. Pictures kind of cut off the top of the car but it still looks good to me.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

Mike...welcome back. Sorry that your meds need to be tweaked. Big congrats on the new car.

Driver....smart girlfriend. I agree with her. Respect is a funny thing...so easy to promise, so hard to earn.

GG, now you have a white car, driver has a white car, and even I now have a white car. Looks terrific, GG. May I suggest that you hold off on selling this gorgeous new Cadillac CTS until you've driven it for at least a few weeks, if not a month. You mentioned that it is a big improvement over the 2014 in just about every way imaginable. You just might fall in love with this one if it performs well for you.

Just give it a some thought and a bit of time.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomike said:

Sorry for abruptly leaving, but I have had so many problems with this new medication. They found out in my blood test that I was anemic from one of the drugs I am taking. So I had to have two units of blood IV to bring up my red blood cell count. That was Friday. I feel a little better, but still weak and I get out of breath very quickly after walking just a short distance. I hope I don't need any more blood.

But, all of you who said I would never, ever make it to an oil change on this Mercedes Benz E400 WON THE BET! I just bought a new 2016 Mercedes Benz CLS 400 in Diamond White Metallic and light (very light) interior leather seating with Piano Black wood throughout the interior. I never thought I would do this after having problems with the 2014 CLS 550 (visibility and height), but since I have lost so much weight, I fit perfectly in this new car.

MSRP was $78,495 and I paid $67,738. I had a $3500 incentive from USAA, a $500 incentive from Mercedes Benz Club of America and a $2000 credit from MBUSA as a gesture due to the experience I had last October with the build of my first E400. So, I paid approximately invoice less the fleet incentives and MBUSA credit.

This car has the V6 twin turbo at 330 hp and 3.0 L. When I test drove the car, it was more than powerful enough - sure didn't need the V8.

Again, my apologies for leaving the way I did - but my health has not been the best - but thanks to all for understand, and my apologies to Robr.

I was incorrect about the MSRP on the car, it is actually $79,485. I just looked at the window sticker - I forgot there was a $1000 additional cost for the wheels I selected. So, I paid $67,738 + tax, tags and fees. So I got the car for $12,000 under MSRP. I have no complaints.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

Today's laugh on Craigslist:

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/5327513949.html

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/5327382505.html

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/5327081292.html

You would think these scammers would switch up some of the copy between ads. Does anybody know what language that is at the bottom?

I believe the language is Romanian....
    My apologies to the Nigerian prince. :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

OF....don't know if I'll get used to the auto "start/stop" or not. Seems to make a difference in MPG. And, having test driven some vehicles with the same feature, I can say that Caddy's is the best implemnation of them all. But, it still sort of takes me by surprise more when it shuts down than when it starts back up (which is pretty darned smooth compared to the likes of BMW's implementation).
    Kind of a nice feature at long red lights, though.

Some of the Malibu forum folks became obsessive compulsive about it when they got their 14/15 models. I found it shuts off so smoothly (on my 2.5L) that I don't realize it shut off. I just go with the flow and have gotten used to it. If I know the light will change shortly after my stop or I'm coming up to a stop sign, common in our area, I let off the brake pressure just before dead stop but don't release the brake completely. That lighter brake pressure keeps it from stopping the engine but still stops the car.

When driver100 said it was on his car, I hadn't realized how many companies had implemented auto stop/start. But the Malibu's use of it is so well done, that I didn't realize it had turned off and back on when I was doing the test drive loop. I had gotten off the interstate and made two stops at lights to take a back highway returning to the Chevy store. As soon as the brake pedal starts to release pressure on the brake system, the restart occurs before the brake has completely released. I have used that at a long light and let the engine restart without releasing the brake completely.

It's sort of like operating a PC compared to the Macs I used to use. There's a lot of control over the system. Now if I could only find a way to block repeat incoming scam calls on my wife's Android 4.4 Kit Kat phone... LOL. Had to install an app to do it. LOL
    What would happen if you got the urge to blast off from the stop light while the engine was off? If you floored it would the thing come on with a bang sending gears in all directions of would it just sit there until the motor reved up and the transmission engaged?

Not that I go crazy off the line very often but I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car that I couldn't do it if I wanted.

• Options

Some AMGs are 25% of MSRP after 4-5 years.

Is that based on the assumption that they were raced or otherwise abused?

That would be a heck of a bargain if you could find one that wasn't.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    Welcome back and congrats on the new M-B!!!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Mike! Wow, what an entrance. So sorry to hear about the health issues related or the anti-virals, but it's good to see you back....and with a beautiful new car. Have they tested your viral load yet? Praying that this will be the round that eliminates the C for good. I was getting a little worried I wouldn't know how to contact you in March for our scheduled brunch.
  • Options

Nice looking car. Pictures kind of cut off the top of the car but it still looks good to me.

Maybe he got a convertible.

• Options
    abacomike said:

Even sick you are a 'car buying machine'. I stand in awe of you. Congrats!