Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I am not quite sure where my cars were produced. I assume the Jetta came from Mexico. The RDX from Ohio where Honda has been building for many years. And the Sonata from someplace in the midwest?

so a German, Korean, and Japanese car, all made in NA.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    Michaell said:

andres3 said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

I own 3 "Japanese" cars. My Prelude was assembled in Japan. My Pilot & my Legacy were built right here in the good ol US of A.

One of my three produced in the good 'ol US of A

MINI was screwed together in England
    Jetta in Mexico
    Outback in Indiana
    That Outback is made in the Carrier plant? :smile: Not getting political, just wondering if they are in proximity.
    No idea how close the plants are to one another. Subaru plant is in Lafayette.
    About an hour apart

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    nyccarguy said:

What are we at this year? How many did we do last year?

I have 37, counting qb's punch. Congrats, qbrozen!

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

Indiana used to make lots and lots of car stuff. I've stayed in Anderson for several days at a time on dozens of occasions, and the locals have pointed out various empty fields around town and told me which GM or other prime that used to have a plant there. I'm guessing the same is true all over the state.

I believe AC-Delco used to be in Anderson, IN.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Did someone say a Mini was actually screwed together?
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    Congrats Q!
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337

Did someone say a Mini was actually screwed together?

Figure of speech. I couldn't tell you how well it's put together - can't hear much over the road noise.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    My advice---stock up on super glue, the Mini owner's friend!
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798

Oh, stop cheaping out, Shifty. Get some epoxy! B)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    @qbrozen congrats, nice ride.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    xwesx said:

Oh, stop cheaping out, Shifty. Get some epoxy! B)
    Hey, the MINI belongs to my daughter. I'll drive it maybe a dozen times a year - when it needs maintenance, when there is an issue with the tires, or when it needs to get washed.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    @suydam! Congrats on punch #39 for the year! Nice Volt!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Thanks, folks.

and congrats to suydam!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Congrats, @suydam ! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Volt.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Forgot to say congrats, q! I've been taken up with this most of the afternoon. A lot of tech to learn about.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    ab348 said:

Congrats, @suydam ! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Volt.

Ditto!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    @suydam - guessing the lease deal was too good to pass up! Congrats.

Every year I think we are going to have a decrease in the number of punches, and each year I'm proved horribly wrong.

I'll be the first to submit a guess for 2017 - and I'll go with 33.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    suydam said:

Punch for me! New 2017 Chevy Volt Premier, loaded to the max. Details to follow.

Wow....I really like that. Would love to hear how that deal came to fruition. Congrats!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    so, like clockwork, shortly after the BtoB warranty expired (on time, not close on miles) on the RDX, wife reported a problem. Intermittently the "low brake fluid" message pops up on the info screen. I drove it around Sunday, but did not come on for me. I checked the resevoir, and looked to be comfortably over the minimum line. Plus, had it serviced less than 1K miles ago, and got all greens (lots of meat on the pads, and fluid noted as good)

my guess, could be a sensor problem? Any other ideas? I am not too worried about it, since the fluid level is fine. But I really hate the idea of having to take it in, and have to pay to have it looked at. Probably a dealer issue (not sure what a Mavis tire place would do beyond checking the fluid level and pads).

• Options
    It might just need a new cap/sensor...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    @stickguy - time for punch #40!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    yeah, there is no punch in my budget. Just got the bill for next semester today. Ouch. at least, after this, only 2 more!

though we did get a flyer in the mail today. Acura dealer having a big "insider" event saturday. Match my number to win an ILX lease, etc. and of course, super special pricing, and great trade values! But mostly, a $30 Target gift card just to show up!

maybe I could spin it to the wife that it is now unreliable, and we need to dump it?

• Options

Is the level sensor part of the cap? I was wondering how it worked. In any case, if it is just that, but the level is OK, should not be anything to worry about.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Sorry, guys, I think we only have 38 punches, counting suydam's Volt.

Congrats on the Volt. Unlike the new Prius, I actually like the styling on the current one better than the old model. Not sure what Toyota was thinking.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    edited December 2016
    I'm going to "go light" for 2017 and guess an even 30. That's probably rather pessimistic though, considering that we have several new members, haven't heard from Mike for a while, and breld is likely going to punch a cool ten all on his own (with a little help from the missus)!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    even Breld might slow down a little. And losing Mikes annual punch hurts, but he was really only good for 1.

the thing that skewed everything so much this year was the TDI deal. So at 38, but without TDI arbitraging, we would not have been much over 30.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Is the level sensor part of the cap? I was wondering how it worked. In any case, if it is just that, but the level is OK, should not be anything to worry about.
    I'm just assuming it's like most every brake fluid sensor I have seen.

• Options
    Michaell said:

@suydam - guessing the lease deal was too good to pass up! Congrats.

Every year I think we are going to have a decrease in the number of punches, and each year I'm proved horribly wrong.

I'll be the first to submit a guess for 2017 - and I'll go with 33.

I know stick is good for 1, and breld is good for a half dozen. I'm good until 2019, so unless the daughter wants to ditch the MINI, we're out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    well, I know I will lose a car next year. Remains to be seen if the princess leaves me enough money to replace it!

if I can work out one of my convoluted plans, and sell the wife on it, I might be able to make it a 2-fer, and upgrade the RDX at the same time.

• Options
    dumb question, but I could pull the cap off and check it out, then put it back on, and not worry about getting air in the system and needing to bleed?

I know how brakes work conceptually, but have not touched them myself, since I replaced (well, helped my BIL) a set of shoes on my Duster back in HS!

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Please put me down for 35 punches in 2017.

No, not me personally!
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    I will go with 30 again. but I think that is going to be high. Not that I ever win anyway.

I bet this year we don't break 25.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    I have one punch coming next year.

I'll say 35, even without TDI arbitrage.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    stickguy said:

I will go with 30 again. but I think that is going to be high. Not that I ever win anyway.

I bet this year we don't break 25.

I've thought that for the last few years. I've been wrong every time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    fordfoolfordfool Member Posts: 240
    Domestic content of U.S. sold cars:
    https://www.cars.com/articles/the-2016-carscom-american-made-index-1420684865874/
    (1) Camry, (2) Accord, (3) Sienna, (4) Odyssey, (5) Pilot, (6) Traverse, (7) Acadia, (8) Enclave

During the 1980's, the Reagan administration slapped strict import quotas on foreign made cars
    that forced foreign manufacturers to build plants in the U.S. to make the cars that they wished
    to sell. http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/1985/02/the-costly-truth-about-auto-import-quotas

At first the Japanese tried manufacturing as much as they could at home leaving only assembly
    for the U.S. But the U.S. redefined domestic content in terms of jobs and G.D.P. added.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    stickguy said:
    dumb question, but I could pull the cap off and check it out, then put it back on, and not worry about getting air in the system and needing to bleed? I know how brakes work conceptually, but have not touched them myself, since I replaced (well, helped my BIL) a set of shoes on my Duster back in HS!
    Yes, you can do that. Can even top off the fluid. Air at the top of the fluid column isn't the problem, only below the master cylinder. You might also just check that the wires going to the resevoir haven't come loose.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    @qbrozen Congrats on the EX35, great cars. I still miss my G37x.

@suydam Also congrats on the Volt, I agree the new model looks better than the old one and it is a neat concept, look forward to hearing about your purchase experience and also your ownership experience!
  • Options
    Thanks Q. I'll do that tonight. Still have not figured out exactly where the sensor is but I'll pop the cap, look inside, make level is above min, and push on all the connectors.

Then have a beer and hope it worked.

Definitely don't want to buy and add brake fluid. Would probably go to mavis for a free brake system inspection, and let them do it!

• Options
    andres3 said:

Did he say if he noticed anything wrong during a test drive? I would think you'd notice something like a bad transmission in a test drive. Of course, I hear some people don't bother to do one.

That was part of his problem, he had an RDX before this and when it was in for the 30k service they gave him a TLX as a loaner. He absolutely loved the car, but the loaner was a 4-cyl with the 8-speed transmission. When he decided to trade he wanted the V6, did a short drive around the block since he had driven the loaner for a couple of days and assumed all was well, so he learned a lesson there.

He remains happy with the Tacoma but like most of us he is a CCBA so we'll see how long it lasts with the reduced fuel economy, tougher parking and lack of amenities (his TLX was the Advanced with Adaptive Cruise, cooled seats, etc.).
  • Options
    breld said:

I'd agree with you for the most part, but I could see some transmission behaviors not exhibiting themselves during a test drive, depending on the route. Some of that sometimes comes through during more experience with the car on varying routes.

Really is a shame for what is overall a nice package from Acura. I did take a good test drive of the 4 cylinder model and didn't notice anything peculiar about that transmission.

The 4-cyl uses the 8 speed DSG so I don't think it's had the same issues, but I agree the TLX is overall a great package.

With that said the 9-speed wasn't a problem 100% of the time. I drove the car several times while visiting and probably put 1,000 - 1,500 miles on it. My experience was the problem was completely sporadic and I could never "make" the car act up, it just did it all on it's own. I'd guesstimate you felt it 30 - 40% of the time. With some car issues it's easy to see what causes the odd behavior, certain acceleration patterns, load conditions, etc. but this transmission just had a mind of its own.

I do think the problem got worse over time, the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts seemed to be much harsher the last time I drove it, a literal jerk and buck as it shifted.

• Options
    Honda Dealer by where I work (low income area) is showing $5,999 off every single Accord Sedan and Coupe in stock:

https://www.bronxhonda.com/inventory.php?condition=&year=&make=Honda&model=Accord+Sedan&standardtrim=&standardbody=&type=new

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    nyccarguy said:

Honda Dealer by where I work (low income area) is showing $5,999 off every single Accord Sedan and Coupe in stock:

https://www.bronxhonda.com/inventory.php?condition=&year=&make=Honda&model=Accord+Sedan&standardtrim=&standardbody=&type=new

Everywhere I've ever worked has been a low income area (mine). ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited December 2016
    How much fine print? They add a $1,999 pro pack first, and assume you qualify for all incentives? Just a nite about "includes all incentives" so who knows. But some strong values there.

• Options
    Ok, I think I found the catch. Something is fishy. The $5,999 off sticker applies to vehicles that are marked IN TRANSIT. In stock vehicles have a $2999 off sticker.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

Ok, I think I found the catch. Something is fishy. The $5,999 off sticker applies to vehicles that are marked IN TRANSIT. In stock vehicles have a $2999 off sticker.

It's OK. I can wait.

So probably to get people in that need a car now, and don't want to wait 6 weeks until a unit arrives. Not like $3k off a 2017 is bad.

My local Audi guy told my son if you order a car, flat 8% off MSRP. just gotta wait 2-3 months.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    nyccarguy said:

Shoot....if someone could wait for the "incoming" vehicles (like say someone who frequents these boards), would be worth buying and having it shipped. Me personally, I'd be interested in the V6 Touring coupe.....that is, if I was in the market.....;)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

nyccarguy said:

Shoot....if someone could wait for the "incoming" vehicles (like say someone who frequents these boards), would be worth buying and having it shipped. Me personally, I'd be interested in the V6 Touring coupe.....that is, if I was in the market.....;)
    There are still some 2016 V6 Coupes Around (EXL V6, EXL V6 w/ Nav, & Touring). They are pretty cars. I'd be very tempted by an EX-L V6 Coupe with a hefty discount off sticker.

There is also a 2017 Silver WRX Limited CVT that has been sitting on my dealer's lot (where I bought & service my Legacy) for a while. $1,600 & change off sticker ($32,005 Selling Price). With our current basement situation, I think if I came home with a new car, my wife would be less than pleased.

• Options
    stickguy said:

nyccarguy said:

It's OK. I can wait.

So probably to get people in that need a car now, and don't want to wait 6 weeks until a unit arrives. Not like $3k off a 2017 is bad.

My local Audi guy told my son if you order a car, flat 8% off MSRP. just gotta wait 2-3 months.
    1. The redesigned Accord is coming out next year, sometime. I suspect there will be awesome deals on the outgoing 2017's.
    2. We've always thought that 6% off the Audi MSRP was a good price - if the dealer is offering 8% for an ordered vehicle, without negotiation, I wonder how much more room there is to come down on that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Not much room. I think that is it.

A huge discount on a leftover 17 would be nice, but I would get seduced by all the shiny new toys on the redesigned model. I really need a car that was just redone for 2017, left over next year.