Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    ralston1ralston1 Member Posts: 28
    I'm checking pricing on '07 MDXs either Base or Tech in Ohio. I've seen 1-2K off MSRP...is this reasonable?
  • Options
    mdmdxmdmdx Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 07 base MDX in Maryland for $1750 off MSRP. Also got options @ cost. It's not 2K-3K off but it beats endless hours of haggling. Email if you need more info.
  • Options
    xc90bobxc90bob Member Posts: 10
    I'm in the haggling stage now. A guy from Radley Acura (DC/MD/VA) is quoting $43892 for Sport+Tech. That's roughly $2K over invoice or $3K under MSRP if you use Kelly Blue Book numbers! I'm still trying to squeeze on the options, LOL. But probably won't go too far.
  • Options
    xc90bobxc90bob Member Posts: 10
    I'd start thinking in terms of "over invoice" instead of "under MSRP" since invoice is the lowest you can go. Well, at least at this time in the model year. You can surely make deals beneath invoice. But, I don't think dealers will bite unless they have a glut in inventory.
  • Options
    x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    i'm going to wait until i get the MDX with Tech for 40k even. thats 500 or so under invoice. not as good as my wife did on her 06 TL when 07's were out but it'll do. As it is i may be waiting a long time before i can get one for that price. 07 MDX that is, first year of the redesign and current model. I just hope there aren't any improvements to 08 that will make me not want 07 otherwise i'll be waiting till 09 comes out.

I do have a what was a brand new 06 Subaru B9 Tribeca which wa also a first year model so i'm in no rush. I have NAV but i just want the industry leading tech of the acura as i'm a tech guy and here my wife has the better tech car.

somehow i paid almost 40k for my tribeca by the time i was done but that was with DVD on top of nav. all i need is tech package though i would like the auto liftgate that comes with ent.?

anyway i'll wait as long as it takes to get mdx wth tech for 40 even.
  • Options
    cheapskate21cheapskate21 Member Posts: 49
    It’s going to be tough to be below invoice for an MDX, especially with the newly redesigned model, but it sounds like you’ve done it w/ TL.

Yes – power tailgate comes only w/ entertainment pkg.

I’ve been debating whether to get TECH only, or the more expensive & complete SPORT. I am leaning more to SPORT just because that’s where you get all the bells and whistles: active damping suspension, xenon lights, softer leather, etc.

With entertainment pkg and accessories (running boards, all weather mats, etc.), I expect the “damage” will be around $47-48k plus tax, etc.
  • Options
    papaiapapaia Member Posts: 1
    I would like to buy a 2007 MDX. Here is the info I have for Illinois:

Base 4WD AT Acura MDX:

- base retail = $39,995
    - base invoice = $36,063
    - freight = $670
    - no regional advertising charge
    - total base retail = $40,665
    - total base invoice = $36,733

Based on the above info I estimate $38,000 (which is approx $1,300 over total base invoice) being a fare price to go after (before taxes, docs, lic. etc.) - what do you think?
  • Options
    ralston1ralston1 Member Posts: 28
    I don't think there are too many MDXs sitting around from what I have heard and read. Any price ranges from Ohio locals would be helpful.
  • Options
    papaia,
    I think that's a good price to offer. If you want more confirmation, what you can do is check around the inventory of the dealers around. See how many cars on your spec each dealer has. More cars meaning better chance.
    You can get really good price if:
    1. you're not too picky about color, so just offer the one dealers have in-stock.
    2. there are many cars as your spec. around the area.
    3. talk to at least two dealers and get the lowest price from both. Then, go to the dealer that you like the most to deal.
    4. try to stay focused and firm, but be courteous. car salesmen work hard for a living like everyone else. can't blame them for trying to make (huge) profit. (** what really ticks me off is I went to BMW and Acura dealers, talked to 3 salesmen .. they all wear ROLEX ... GEE .. how much commision they're making???)

Good luck. When they try to tell you they don't make money, just glance at their watch ... LOL ... Let me know the result.
  • Options
    barb36jack31barb36jack31 Member Posts: 34
    Called a local dealer here in Central FL and was offered $1500 under MSRP. Probably coyld get more if I haggled a bit. Notice that Dealers Admin Fee is $595. Actual cost for licence, tags, title etc here in FL is less than $40. Looks like they are making up some of their so called deals! Also the dealer has to be the one to do the paperwork. Gives them a license to steal.
  • Options
    kevins2kevins2 Member Posts: 5
    which dealer in Central Florida? I'm shopping the Tampa/Orlando dealers but I haven't gotten past the initial emails yet. Would be helpful to know.

The doc/admin fees are becoming outrageous, the dealership I bought our 03 MDX has gone from 299 to 599 doc fee since then.

Thanks!
  • Options
    It is the dealer in Lakeland. FL Am going there in the morning to test drive the MDX. Base +Tech+ Entertainment. I don't really expect them to have this exact model in stock. I want to get a feel on how it performs and then I will get a firm offer from three or four dealers. I will let you all know how it all comes out. I am also going to test drive the Infiniti FX 450. I understand that it is a real performer.

Jack H.
  • Options
    chris9595chris9595 Member Posts: 1
    That sounds like a great deal! We are in DFW and have just started looking but are 90% sure that MDX with sport will be the choice. Would you mind sending me the name of your contact at John Eagle? I would happily goto HOU to get that deal if no one would match it here.....Also, I have a friend in HOU that may be in the market also.

Thanks!
  • Options
    kevins2kevins2 Member Posts: 5
    Interesting - I've gotten an email quote from the Lakeland dealership and it was only $670 under MSRP, although I specified a color they probably don't have in stock.

Interested to hear how it works out for you.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    richtex69richtex69 Member Posts: 8
    Just so everyone understands. The dealer is not obligated to discount any of the vehicles for sale on the lot. The dealer is not a non-profit organization. The dealer is obligated to one thing only and that is customer service. Although customer satisfaction is important, the consumer must understand that in order for any business survive it must maintain an average profit margin. These vehicles already have competive pricing. Especially with all the standard options that are upgrades on the Ford Explorer EB? Are you kidding me? Ford? These vehicle aren't even in the same class. Just for the record, there is a BIG difference Acura buyers and Ford Buyers. Ford? You got to be joking!
  • Options
    nine2eightnine2eight Member Posts: 5
    Acura is going after Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and Audi. And to gain market share they HAVE to put out a "superior" product and bang for the buck. But people will still buy marquee brands regardless of "value".

Dealers are in the business to COMPETE for our business. As long as the auto industry works on margins, there will always be haggling. I do not lose sleep at night worrying about how dealerships keep their lights on. My main goal is to get the lowest price depending the market conditions for a particular vehicle. My concern is for my family's financial situation.

Revenue based on profit per vehicle is only a small part of the business model. Profitable dealerships make money on their finance dept(loans and rust proofing, etc.), government contracts, fleet sales, used dept. and of course the service dept.

If you want to pay MSRP to help dealerships pay for fancy office space, big screen TVs, lattes and for the owner to buy another vacation home, go for it.
  • Options
    c56spdc56spd Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for the best deal on a Sport with entertainment. I understand dealers need to make money, which they are, but the way I see it is that I am a bonus customer that will most likely come from out of town who otherwise wouldn't make that dealership anything. If the dealer can sell every one at MSRP every time one lands then fine. Otherwise, the dealer can sell it to me for $2,000 off MSRP and still make almost $3,000 prior to any holdbacks/floor plan/dating.

BTW, I have found 3 dealers willing to do $2,000 off MSRP on a Sport w/ entertainment, anyone doing better than that?

Thanks for all the info.
  • Options
    You shouldn't lose sleep at night worrying about the dealerships financial situation. You also shouldn't pay MSRP for a vehicle. You should find a fair median for yourself and the dealership. Invoice is not fair!! The dealer is entitled to a profit on the sale. You should budget yourself before shopping for a vehicle on what you plan on spending whether paying cash or a monthly payment. In other words, don't shop for champaign on a beer budget. Keep your family's financial situation in mind and lease a HUYNDAI. Don't bite off more than you can chew to keep up with the Jones's. Besides, the big screen TVs and lattes are for the customers. You know, the same TV you watch and latte you drink when you have service done to whatever you drive.
  • Options
    Nine2eight,

I totally agree with you.

Richtex is probably a dealer's salesperson/manager/owner, defending the 'dark side' .. hahaha .. just kidding.

As in any other businesses, buyers want to buy cheap good products and sellers want high profit margin.

If you haven't figured out, this is a buyer's forum since the title is "buying & leasing experience". If you want to create another forum called "selling with highest profit margin so I can afford a Rolex", then hey .. by all means. I would love to check it out.

In any case, I don't think any dealer is hurting even all the buyers are haggling all they can.

I believe in fair pricing and good customer service. I don't mind paying about 2k above invoice for an Acura. There must be a dealer who will be happy to take an easy 2k profit. I know what I want. I will find the car by searching dealers inventory on their website. I will spend half an hour test driving and another half an our dealing with them - Offer them a firm price - deal or no deal? That's it.
  • Options
    Richtex -

Invoice is not fair in general sense that it SEEMS like dealers don't make money if they're selling at invoice. HOWEVER, in many cases, dealers get incentive, bonus, volume discount, etc. from manufacturer. It's simple for the dealers, they wouldn't sell if it is not profitable for them.
  • Options
    turambar1turambar1 Member Posts: 12
    Working in the "business" you get to see how the funds are really distributed. The common misconception it that holdback is an additional profit source for the dealer. In reality, what it's meant to do is to reimburse the dealer for the expense of keeping the lights on, all those free lattes, the hourly wage, benefits and insurance of all the poor guys in the back who wash your car,etc and the cost of financing the car- yes that's right, the dealer has to borrow money from a bank to buy the cars just like many customers do. If the dealer is lucky enough to flip the car immediately, before expenses are incurred, than yes it can be used to add to the bottom line.
  • Options
    If EVERY dealer says NO to selling cars at invoice then we wouldn't have this conversation. But to the contrary, dealers do sell at and below invoice. Forums like this help spread the word to informed buyers trying to get the best deal. "DEAL" is the operative word here and reason for this forum.

I have no idea why "trying to keep up with the Jones" has to do with this discussion.

To remain on topic, my goal in the next 30 days is to find the lowest price on a Nimbus Gray (sport and entertainment). If any dealer out there wants my business, then give me (at your free will) your best price, I will give you my money. Then I will come back to this forum and report to all of you my deal.

And if a dealer can't or wont discount competitively (because the have to pay for richtex69's lattes), it's their choice and I will take my money elsewhere. Welcome to a free market economy man.
  • Options
    Good and reasonable explanation.

I still believe car dealers in general make good profit after the huge overheads, unless it's poorly managed. As for the overhead costs you describe (lattes, hourly wages, financing costs, etc.), that's just the cost of doing business.
  • Options
    It's not nearly as profitable as it used to be before the advent of the internet- to the benefit of the consumer. Chatting with our GM the other day, he mentioned that at a recent district meeting, the financials of all the dealers in our zone (SoCal) were compared and the majority of them were in the red, at least in the new car sales side of things. Not trying to plead with anyone for sympathy, but the majority of new car sales people are getting paid a "minimum" commission on most models, which amounts to anywhere from a $50-$150 flat. For us Acura Salespeople, the arrival of the new MDX is a godsend!
  • Options
    Hey Guys,

I am a consumer as well and don't mean to ruffle any feathers. I also like to get good deals. 2K above invoice is a fair offer on any vehicle and I would be happy to discount my MDX 2K. and offer free oil changes along with the free lattes. Believe me, I understand the need to be competitive in pricing and to retain customer loyalty. In my business nothing happens until a car is sold. That means service, parts, body shop and referrals. Happy Shopping!!!!
  • Options
    It's funny when you look a things from a larger perspective, how many people spin in circles and go to drastic measures, like flying out of state, in order to get a deal on a car. On the other hand if you stop and think about all the high profit margin items that you pay full price for, the amount you would save over the time spent haggling over a car is so trivial. How many of us would ask to see how much the invoice was on a pair of expensive shoes at Nordstrom and offer to buy below that price? How much is a $10,000 Rolex really worth? After all it's just a nice shiny piece of metal that doesn't even keep time as well as a timex. An acquaintance of mine works for Starbucks- a Venti coffee is $2.00, their cost? 22 cents for cup and coffee. next time I'm going to offer them 75 cents as a fair deal....

We trust our lives daily speeding 80mph on the freeway in a piece of technology that had years of design and engineering, yet people fret over the dealer making a commensurate profit. Your wedding band on the other hand does nothing of practical value, but no one stops to think that the jeweler made $3,000 of pure profit on a shiny piece of metal!

Part of this lack of perception is our fault in the industry from years past when dealers really were unethical "stealers", but it's been so ingrained in our culture, that one needs to roll up your sleeves and do battle, that perception hasn't changed with reality.

Anyways, sorry for hijacking this thread, I'll let everyone get back to where all the best MDX deals are...
  • Options
    Drove the MDX at Lakeland, FL today. In less than 2 hours including a test drive over both Interstate and regular roads, we had struck a deal. Regal Acura is the name. I was treated with the greatest of courtesy and the staff was very professional. That said, have all of your ducks in a row when you go to see them. Know all the numbers, i.e. MSRP, Invoice, and holdback figures. If you are trading, have a Kelly Blue Book figure in your pocket. They did not at any time argue with me about the numbers. No fancy tricks or anything of that sort. They try to get the best price they can just as you try to get the best deal for yourself.

Probably the best car buying experience I have had in many years.

Jack H.
  • Options
    Wow ... I truly enjoy to see how this thread goes from buying experience to consumer's philosophy and perceptions.

Let's go back to the original intent of this thread. Can anyone on the dealer side disclose what's the lowest and highest you've sold an '07 MDX for?
    Now .. the answer is a relevant and useful information for readers of this forum.
  • Options
    Cheapskate21,

You shouldn't worry about the commission made by a salesperson. You should worry about how you are going to make pay your car payment. Have you ever heard of Dual-household income? How much money are you making by the way? Did you know that when salespeople make money they spend money keeping the economy going. It's O.K. for salespeople to want the finer things in life like a Starbucks Latte or maybe even a ROLEX!!! You are right salespeople work hard. And forget the long hours away from their families dealing with people like you who live ticked off.
  • Options
    You should be able to obtain a $2500.00 discount. This is fair market value at this time.
  • Options
    I think the geographic area has alot to do with the deals you'll get. The most I've personally done in our store is $1,100 off MSRP and it was like pulling teeth to get our GM to agree to it! Most dealers in Orange county/SoCal are quoting anywhere from MSRP- $1,500 off in their email quotes. The problem is that some dealers are offering large discounts but when the customers want to move forward, they can't produce the car. I had a customer that said that a dealer was willing to do $2,000 of MSRP on a Steel Blue Sport/Entertainment and could get one with no problem... When I did a search on the Acura dealer network where I can see all the cars on the ground in CA as well as production dates for future cars....2 were available and non were in production for the next few weeks...Easy to offer a big discount on something you don't have.
  • Options
    Let me retract my comment regarding the ROLEX .. it's probably a $25 Made-in-China knock-off anyway .. LOL.

Let's not go on to personal finances and family issues here.

I was making the comments to empower buyers (as this thread is supposed to be, _not_ for dealers / salespersons to make their points).

My personal opinion: Despite all their whining, dealers always make money. (Maybe it was just my luck to have dealt with a couple of whiny salespersons in the past.) Just don't sell if you don't make money, right? Really .. when was the last time you sell a car at loss? I'd guess ... Never ...?
  • Options
    Next time you see a car sales person with a Rolex, ask him how much below invoice he was able to screw haggle his local jewler for...LOL
  • Options
    I checked into the Costco Auto service.

Here in the Northeast, I got a "no haggle price" of 2500 off msrp. for sport + DVD.
  • Options
    Turambar1,

Thanks for the info.

I notice that Steel Blue is really hard to come by. There 4 Acura dealers around my area. None of them has Sport w/ RES in Steel Blue w/ ebony interior.

I want to wait until they have one on the lot and give them my offer. I am considering to switch to Nimbus Gray ... but then again, I am in no hurry to buy. Never too late to spend money ... LOL.
  • Options
    I would like to take this opportunity to agree with you. There are times when the market switches from seller to buyer. At this point the MDX is a premium item sold for a premium price. In my professional opion the best way to buy this vehicle is the lease option. It is the only way you can get a guaranteed future value on a yet depreciating asset. I understand that price is important and payment is a factor but lets look getting more vehicle for a lower payment. You really want to invest as little as possible in this type of investment. A low lease payment is the true answer to biggest savings.
  • Options
    nine2eight,

Thanks for the info. A salesperson at one of the dealers around here told me Costco's price only would get me $500 off MSRP. I was thinking I shouldn't even bother going w/ Costco if that's the case.
  • Options
    Salesperson may be correct depending on your geography. You have nothing to lose (if you are a member) to try the service. A participating dealer calls you back within minutes of you pressing send to give "no haggle" quote.

Last year I used Costco to buy my Pilot--got quoted invoice on the first call (no back and forth stuff). They got my business.

Note on the basics: supply and demand can be for or against you depending on time of year and how well the vehicle you want is selling in your particular area.
  • Options
    From what I've been hearing, Acura didn't expect that the sport and entertainment models were going to be as popular as they've been selling. In the previous model the dvd system never sold in large numbers, but now that they've added the power tailgate feature..... They have all sorts of market research done years before a vehicles release and tell their parts suppliers how many units they project to sell. Supposedly these parts suppliers are the bottle neck on production for the MDXs with rear entertainment and sport packages. Now the real question is if this was really an honest oversight on their part, or if it's Honda's well known marketing strategy in the business to always have less cars available than demand on new models...
  • Options
    justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70
    cheapskate21, I was told the same at Acura of Bellevue, $500 off MSRP - if I remember correctly you are in the Seattle area also. Based on that I did not go thru Costco, which on hindsight I should have at least tried. In any case I would suggest checking it out - who knows.
  • Options
    Justg0,

Yup .. I am in Seattle area. Bellevue was the one who told me $500 off MSRP, with a whisper ..."don't tell anybody I tell you that" sounding like it's a super good deal. He told me he would try to get me $250 off MSRP. After reading this forum, I have much better idea on what's the real good deal is.

What's holding me back now is I can't find the Sport w/ RES in Steel Blue. I don't wanna pre-order it, because dealer probably will have to sell at MSRP that way .... Good thing is I am not in a hurry. I will wait until it's available, or until I change my mind about color.
  • Options
    It's hard to find Sport with RES and then if you have a particular color that makes it harder. Good thing you are not in a hurry. Lucky for us, we wanted Nimbus Gray Sport with RES and they had that in stock.
  • Options
    I too, keep seeing all these incredible posts with over $2,000 off MSRP and such (which worries me!), but in all the hundreds of correspondence with my internet customers, I've never seen or heard anything concretely. More often than not, those clients who inform me of a huge discounted quote they were offered are emailing me once again in a few weeks, even months later for another quote and acting as if they had never contacted me before...

Clearly there are people getting extraordinary deals out there, however what I think is happening is that what is being represented on the forums- a small slice of the thousands of transactions that occur (and often in an out of the way place in the middle of nowhere)- is heavily weighted towards the exceptions and not the rule. Afterall, who is going to post and say "hey just got my new MDX at a steal! $500 off MSRP!"
  • Options
    bestdeal4bestdeal4 Member Posts: 8
    Acura current lease program of 42 months,has a cap cost of $1000 of MSRP.

So with a some sit down time with a sales person and you should be at $2000 of MSRP with little work.
  • Options
    The problem is the following statement in the fine print of the featured lease "Suggested dealer contribution may vary and could affect actual lease payment." In our area most of the dealers are reluctant to participate. A while back I was tossing around the idea of leasing a bimmer and was doing my due diligence on the BMW forums- people were complaining about the same thing on the new 335i coupe. BMW had a great lease offer on the car, but few dealers were playing ball.
  • Options
    bestdeal4bestdeal4 Member Posts: 8
    Good point. Six weeks ago the Acura dealers in my area (New York City area) were at MSRP. I have been shopping the MDX and getting closer as the price has come down. My target is $1000 over invoice for the Sport.

I hope your area does the same. :)
  • Options
    Sport w/ RES units are actually getting easier to come by now. I have been checking the inventory of the dealers around Seattle area for the last 2 weeks. Dealer A has 3, B has 2, C has 1 and D has 6.

During these 2 weeks, only 1 Sport w/ RES got sold and off the inventory from dealer D.

If one doesn't really care much about color, she/he should be able to get very good price.

Justg0 - do you know if there are any perks buying thru Bellevue rather than the others? I only noted they promote "special service pricing". I guess this covers oil changes? The 1st real service is at 110k mile, so I most likely don't need that discount. I typically sell of my cars prior to reaching 100k.
  • Options
    I have seen the phrase" Sport with RES" What is RES?

Second subject - I have just completed negotiations with my Acura dealer. MDX with Tech and Entertainment, $1500 off MSRP and Kelly Blue Book for my trade in. Not a huge deal, but I am very happy. Very pleasant people to work with.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Rear
    Entertainment
    System

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    cheapskate21, i think the bellevue dealer gives the 1st service(oil change) free and then it is 10% off, but i don't remember exactly. i guess will find out when the maintenance minder tells me its time to take the car in for service.

also, you should check about the fact not needing service before 110k mile. usually you need to do 30k, 60k,... services and these are not cheap, usually run a few hundred dollars. i will check my owners manual later to see if there is any recommended schedule.