Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Buying Tips - How Do I Get the Best Deal?

Comments

• Options
    madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    Hi Irish,

There is no "best" price. Prices will vary from dealer to dealer and the price depends on many factors. I'll just keep this as simple as I can and not muddy the water with too much information.

Find what vehicle you are looking at on Edmunds. Option it out and check what the "TMV" price is. That stands for True Market Value. This is a guide to what realistic pricing is on the vehicle. Could you do better than that price? Maybe, you just need to check with your local dealers to see what kind of deals they are running.

You don't want to just go into the dealership and tell them your offer that isn't based on anything concrete. Find out what promotions they are running and calculate your offer including their doc fee, taxes and registration/titling fees. Put it all together and see if you can afford it. If not, then find another vehicle.

Take 30 minutes to educate yourself on what fits your budgets and needs and you'll save a lot of time at the negotiation table and at the dealership.

Good luck!
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,251
    anyone want to give me your suggestions

What car/cars are you interested in?

Read the prior 5,000 posts in this discussion, then go to the "Purchasing Strategies..." discussion and read the 3,700 posts there. You should be an "expert" like the rest of us after that. ;)

But, I would think for most cars paying invoice, minus rebates/incentives, plus tax, title liscense, plus a $75 doc. fee... made in a out the door offer, should suffice. It's a buyers market, take your time,be prepared... and you'll do fine.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    It's a buyers market, take your time,be prepared... and you'll do fine.

That's like telling someone to take a walk down Crenshaw at midnight after a couple of lessons from Mr. Miyagi. :P
  • Options
    irishgirl22irishgirl22 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone, I'm trying to do research but it seems i'm over researching and getting myself more confused than ever.

I have a few cars i'm interested in: These are top 2
    *VW Eos
    Toyota Solara

If i can't afford one of the above my next options would be:
    Pontiac G6 convertible
    Nissan altima with sunroof
    Mazda 6
    or possibly a suv if i can get a really good deal (and it doesn't get horrible gas mileage).
    I'm trying to find a car for under $25,000 (heated seats are a must and satellite radio)

Is this too much to ask :cry:
    LOL!!!!
  • Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    If i can't afford one of the above my next options would be:

Your very first step is to figure out what you can afford.

That would make sure you don't take on more debt that you can handle (although you might not get financing right now in that case), but you'd also avoid wasting the salesman's timel.

Good luck!
  • Options
    waarlocwaarloc Member Posts: 1
    I have gone to two dealers with Edmunds pricing in hand, and both times they refuse to acknowledge Edmunds pricing. In both cases pricing was thousands less than their asking price. They do however acknowledge Kelley Blue Book but Kelly prices seem to be higher. Who do I believe? and how can I negotiate if no one will accept Edmunds pricing? HELP what do I do?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Any buying guide is just that - a guide. Prices will, of course, vary from town to town but our listings reflect what people have paid. I think the dealers you're talking too are just playing hardball.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    Well, first I wouldn't walk in and just whip out an Edmunds price guide, and tell the dealership "I want one of those". You have to use a little more finesse than that. I would start at Edmunds trade in value and negotiate a price between that and the Edmunds private party price. If they ask where you got your information, tell them Edmunds, Kelley, or even the tooth fairy... doesn't really matter. Either the deal is doable or it isn't.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    CalifLookieLooCalifLookieLoo Member Posts: 22
    Well, Jipster. I'm sure I'm one of many who stumbled onto this Forum and then followed your October advice to read the last 5000 messages here (which took my slow computer days!)........now, I'm finally to March 2009 and see that all of Nov - early Feb 2009 is missing and the party has left the building! I do feel much smarter - but, my eyes are crossed, my computer is overheating, my kids are hungry........Where has everyone gone? :cry:

Question for the Hosts:

On the Edmund's main page under "Forums", "Smart Shopper" doesn't even come up. There is a list of "What's Happening in the Forums" that shows top discussions - but, not all of the forums available. I'm sure there is a lot of information on Edmunds - but, if I didn't know to put "Smart Shopper" in the search, I would have never found this particular forum. I've found various forums I didn't know were here just by reading the last 5000 posts and checking out the sites that were referenced......is there an easier way to do this? If I don't KNOW what I'm looking for (out of admittedly being in new territory) how can I find all the information that Edmund's has in their Forums?

And, Jipster, it really was good advice of yours to direct people to go back and read the last 5000 posts - even though they are old, I learned so much, and don't feel nearly as overwhelmed with the idea of buying a new car. Thank you!
  • Options
    5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    Good tip on Smart Shopper. I wasn't aware. BTW, if you find a poster that seems to trip your trigger, try to search on their ID for their other posts.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,186
    Look on the right side of any forums page. You'll see a pull-down menu for Browse by Board. You'll find the Smart Shopper link there.

Look down a little farther and you'll see another pull-down menu for Browse by Topic, if you'd like to narrow it down.

Or, you can search for discussions by Make and Model. Those pull-down menus are on the right, as well.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Also, the Car Shopping link on the main Forums page will get you here.

And, of course, many of you already use the "Watch" feature to get to discussions you frequent.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    but, my eyes are crossed, my computer is overheating, my kids are hungry........Where has everyone gone?

LOL. Them eyeballs should uncross in a week or two. ;)

But, this is one of those discussions that might be really hot for awhile, get a lot of posts, then zip for the next month or two. There are 3 or 4 discussions in Smart Shoppers that are the same way. Most people hang out, on a daily basis, in the "Stories From the Sales Frontline" discussion. Though we don't get a lot of actual sales stories, there is a lot of fun b.s-ing going on... and interesting automotive talk.

And, Jipster, it really was good advice of yours to direct people to go back and read the last 5000 posts - even though they are old, I learned so much, and don't feel nearly as overwhelmed with the idea of buying a new car. Thank you!

Oh, you are welcome. I appreciate the positive feedback. Those 5,000 posts would probably make a good book. A lot of good advice and different perspectives on how to "Get The Best Deal". Just dial in the ideas and methods that best suit your purpose, and you're good to go. There are several other discussions in Smart Shoppers i.e "Negotiation Strategy" that are similar in nature. But, it may be a good idea to feed those kids and get those eyeballs uncrossed before you tackle anymore prolonged readings ;) .
  • Options
    CalifLookieLooCalifLookieLoo Member Posts: 22
    It's been a little over a month since I wrote about my crossed eyeballs - wanted to let you know that I bought my new SUV! I was able to figure out a comfortable price range, calmly negotiate over the computer, be a gracious rejector, and a gracious rejectee with several dealerships, compromise on color (this gray rather than THAT gray ;) ) and 2WD vs 4WD (want vs need).......and drove over with the kids to finalize the deal on my Honda Touring 2WD in Los Angeles this morning. Bit of a drive, but, I am satisfied with the price and the experience. I wanted to thank the Edmunds' Hosts and forum members for all the information provided - I actually had FUN today! I was not hurried, didn't feel pressured, had my numbers with me, and though I had to bring my 5 year old (medical needs), I brought the older boys to take care of her - and, the great salesman I had let her sit in the display Odyssey and watch "Ice Age" on the RES during the paperwork! All in all, a very nice experience, thanks to Edmunds and the regulars I've gotten to "know" by reading the forums and listening to the banter! Thank you, Guys! (Jipster....sorry I couldn't wait for your Book - had to just use your method on my new car for free!)
    ;)
  • Options
    mujahidmdmujahidmd Member Posts: 21
    Do you think i can get a Lancer GTS 5 speed for 17000 OTD. The invoice for this car is 19,000. I plan on emailing all the dealers withing a 100 mile radius from my house. And have them try to give me the best deal btw i want this price to be WITHOUT REBATES because i want the 0 percent interest.
  • Options
    Congrats on your new SUV LookieLoo! Nice to hear your car buying experience worked out so well for you. Yes, buying a car is so much fun. It should be fun.I can't wait to have a little more fun myself... may be another year or two though.

Don't worry about not waiting for my book. The "Jipst Method" of car buying is free for all my Edmunds brothers and sisters. HAPPY EASTER ALL! :)
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,350
    I doubt it as an OTD price would include tax, license, title and any doc fees. I wouldn't expect it to be much under invoice, if at all, without rebates plus tax, title and license.

As for e-mailing every dealer that would result in few responses with a price. Most would be thinking you would take their price and shop it around.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    websalesguywebsalesguy Member Posts: 13
    Let me begin by saying I've only been in the car business for 3 years. That's three years too long when I think about it. Take the nicest person in the world and have them shop for a car and a few things will happen. Common sense goes out the window, they become amatuer bluffers and become fodder for jokes.

Previous to enjoying semi retirement, I negotiated contracts between businesses. I was hired to express one businesses' concerns and I dealt with primarily lawyers, who represented other's concerns. A unique thing about what I was involved in was that we HAD to negotiate an agreement. It was either did business or ended up in arbitration.

Let's get back to buying cars. The issue is you want the best price. The answer is, you will get the best price when you're ready to buy the car. Whenever I have to field the question of what's my best price, what I hear is: how little money are you willing to make on this car and by the way, I'm just using you as a measuring stick. I'm going to go to the next dealer and lie and say you gave me a price a price a few hundred lower.

People hate car dealers because they have to deal with the monsters THEY made. The dealership owners who will whore out any car they can, created the mess and they created the mess because the manufacturers play games with profits. In essense, the fish stinks from the head down.

Folks, here's what a sales person deals with every day. They have to deal with customers who believe that every sales consultant wants to make as much money as possible. In most cases they're right. And if they're not right, shame on the sales consultant. Business means making money. They sell something of real value. I often think about the guy who invented and marketed the Pet Rock. Do you think that guy thought, "it's just a rock, I really shouldn't sell it for $19.95, I should be happy with $3.95. BS! That's not commerce.

Sales consultants and dealerships need to show value. If we take into account that one model is the same at all dealerships, then the measuring stick should be added value. What's different about buying the same car from one dealership or another? Find out that answer and you will find the place from where to buy your car.

Ask the sales consultant why you should buy there. if the answer is because we give the best customer service, we have a coffee bar, yada yada yada, look somewhere else. Thats jibberish. Everybody has similar base customer niceties.

Get an answer like, because last year our dealership won an award from the manufacturer for service, or because they've sold more cars to businesses in the area, the average customer is a three-time buyer (and they could demonstrate that) or the employee retention rate is very high, then sit up and listen. Look for unique reasons.

By the way, I will sell an Escalade and make a hundred dollars on it if the customer is ready to buy it. I accept that this car is going away and I'm going to get business from that no-money maker in the future. On the other hand, I will give you the broom and let you leave thinking you could buy that same vehicle for 5000 below invoice if you're not going to buy the car at that point. I have no problem letting you leave and continue your search.

In the end, we sales consultants make squat on BS'ers, have to worry about a survey coming back that will burn us and probably affect our bonuses and the fact that grinders are never happy and they will continue to be pain in the butt forever, we, or I should say I, have no problem letting them walk.

On the other hand, people who are straight with me can expect me to do back flips for them.
  • Options
    I recently sold a 51,000.00 CTS and made 6k on it. But here's what people will remember. I sold it for 37,000.00.

The car had 20 miles on it. So, how did I do it? Is the new "best price" on a 51k CTS about 31500?

By the way, just to rack buyer's brains, there was no trade and it was a simple cash deal. 37k, state sales tax and DMV fee.

hmmmm. Try and figure this one out. ;)
  • Options
    People hate car dealers because they have to deal with the monsters THEY made.

Lets be honest here, if dealerships didn't play their little games consumers wouldn't try to "protect" themselves.

What's different about buying the same car from one dealership or another?

To be brutally honest. nothing at all. Once you get behind the wheel of a Buyota Benz Sludgemobile LX it's the same car regardless of where you bought it. The car will not handle any better, get better gas mileage, be more reliable, go faster or anything else because you bought it at dealer 'A' as opposed to dealer 'B'. So why buy at one dealer over another? the answer is price.

• Options
    I have to ask, what is the trim, engine, options, condition of the car, sales tax rate and DMV fees?

Otherwise cannot comment.

Also what are we trying to figure out?

• Options
    Snake, the difference is when a person goes up the road to save $100.00 and on a Saturday he has a problem and where he bought the car does not have Saturday service hours. He's then told by me that my customers come first and if there is time at the end of the day we might be able to squeeze him in. That's the difference.
  • Options
    I have never had, nor do I know anyone who has had, service at a dealership refused or delayed because they didn't buy there.

So that being said, I can get serviced any place. 99.99% of the time the service department does first come first served.

• Options
    Snake,

The lesson here is that us in the business are constantly confronted with customers saying there's a dealership that will sell me, or, I got a quote for a 2009 CTS for 13,000 less than your quote. Possible? Yes.

There's always unique reasons but in general, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is or there's a really unique reason.

I sold the car to a customer who dropped dead the next day. They didn't want it, had to settle the estate. Bought it at a very good price, sold it at a very good price.

Selling Suburban's up here in the northeast I get alot of. "I saw they're selling Suburbans on EBAY for 4000 less than up here." I usually have to point out that the shopper is looking at a Suburban in TX that is a 2WD.

Lesson is: If you like it, buy it. If it's going to eat you up inside that you're paying a few hundred more than you could have if you did a ton of shopping, you need to get a life. Too many other things in life worth enjoying rather than spending all your time shopping for rubber, metal, plastic and glass. :)
  • Options
    as I said, If here's time, we'll do it. But the golden rule is my customers come first. That's why they're my customers.
  • Options
    Sorry I misread your post. When you said a 51,000.00 CTS I thought you ment 51K miles not a $51K car. Leaving out that dollar sign lead me to the wrong conclusions.

• Options
    FWIW I spent a considerable time in the back part of dealerships. For the service department they are all customers regardless of where they bought (the service department doesn't get more money from a service job simply because the customer bought there). I will guarantee you that if I bought some place else and brought in into the service department for service and got the last slot and then you came in and tried to fit in a customer I won't be kicked out.

• Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    You seem like you're letting the job get to you. No question, dealing with the public is not easy and I could never do the job you folks do. I'd end up telling the jerks you mentioned where to take a flying leap and then get fired.

But you won't find too many folks here like that. And the folks in the biz here have grown thick skin, and have learned to deal with people like that accordingly and not let it affect their lives. Maybe you should too.

Have you checked out "Stories from the sales frontlines"? Lots of good folks in the biz hang out there.
  • Options
    inisp1300inisp1300 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at buying a Dodge/Chrysler minivan because of need with family size.

Dodge/Chrysler has Employee Pricing and two rebates I qualify for plus money off for the DVD player this month. Total on the deal I am looking at is $4342 off the Employee Price for the vehicle. My question is who gets that money and where does it come from?

Two dealers told me the only place they have any wiggle room is on my car because Employee Pricing is below their invoice. With that $4342 hanging out there, does that mean they can afford to go up a few hundred on my trade-in?

Any direct advice/knowledge is appreciated. Help me save my cash so I can stimulate some other areas of the economy.

B.
  • Options
    My question is who gets that money and where does it come from?

Owner loayalty and rebate money come from the manufacturer to the dealership.
    So, if you are getting $4,342 under the employee price, I would say that is about the best the dealership can do.
  • Options
    So why buy at one dealer over another? the answer is price.

Actualy, if prices are kind of close, other factors come into play -- convenience, nice/knowledgable salesman, etc.

I might pay a few hundred more to buy from a local dealership, which doesn't play games, and the salesperson treated me well.
  • Options
    Is that the amount of profit they are getting on that vehicle then? What is the average price that a dealer nets on a new vehicle deal like a Mopar Minivan?

I would like to get another $500- 750 out of my trade. With $4342 coming back to them from the factory and my cash down, I am hoping they might give me a little more on the trade. Are my chances good or maybe they are at their bottom dollar?
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,015
    I would like to get another $500- 750 out of my trade. With $4342 coming back to them from the factory and my cash down, I am hoping they might give me a little more on the trade. Are my chances good or maybe they are at their bottom dollar?

Not sure what you are saying. The $4342 is in rebates, yes, but you are getting that much off the employee price, are you not? Soo.. if, for instance, the van's msrp is $35k and the employee price is $30k, then you should be buying for $25,658. And, yes, this would be their bottom dollar.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    In therory, if the dealership pays invoice for a car, that is at least what they want back. The manufacturer incentives help sell the car for the dealership. The dealership sells the van for say $4342 less than what they paid, then the manufactuer reinburses them this money in the form of rebates and owner loyaly
    money. So, the dealership is making very little on this deal, about the only money the dealership would make, that I know of, from this deal would be hold-back... which would be around 3%. But, dealerships don't like to give this up. But, hey, it doesn't hurt to ask. If you think your trade is worth $750 more I would go for it.
  • Options
    ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    convenience
    Yes, it is important, but if price difference not bigger than $100-200

knowledgable salesman
    I don't need it at all. When I buy a car, I do a lot of research about the car on forums and different web sites.

These days I do all negotiation over the e-mail. I get price range from this site, send e-mail to all dealers in 60miles radius, negotiate price over e-mail, get final results and bring pre-approval letter from my CU with me, so dealer have a chance to beat CU's APR.
  • Options
    convenience
    Yes, it is important, but if price difference not bigger than $100-200

Agree.

knowledgable salesman
    I don't need it at all. When I buy a car, I do a lot of research about the car on forums and different web sites.

That's fine if you don't need to test drive the car. I've bought some cars when I didn't need a test drive (drove a friend's, buying same model, etc.), but there were others where I had to do a test drive (buying an SUV for the first time).
  • Options
    I ended up bidding two dealers against each other on identical vehicles. One vehicle had been on the lot longer than the other and it had a lower base price and less destination charge before mid-year raises. It made one vehicle about $400 cheaper. The one with the cheaper vehicle came up $500 on my trade and made the better deal.

Best part was that when I called my Credit Union, they told me they had dropped rates today and cut my finance rate by .60%. Made it an even better day.

Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    Actualy, if prices are kind of close,

How close does the price have to be for those other factors to come into play?

As for convenience I live in a large metro area and there would be a half dozen dealerships of the same brand that are not much more convenient than the others.

As for knowledgeable salespeople, not an issue for me as I research the heck out of a vehicle that I am looking at buying.

• Options
    How close does the price have to be for those other factors to come into play?

Depends on the price of the car. If it's a $35k car, maybe $300? If it's a $90k car, of course it will be more.

Like I said before, there are times that even after all my research I still need to test drive.
  • Options
    there are times that even after all my research I still need to test drive.

Sure but test driving is part of the researching of cars. Usually I test drive a few models before deciding on which car to buy. Anyway any dealership will let you test drive if they think that you are anyway serious in buying.

• Options
    Iam looking to buy a lancer gts 5 speed i want to buy it with the sun and sound option. I want to know Edmunds says the TMV for this car is ... $19,540 is there any way i can be able to negotiate with them and get the car OTD for that price?
    And what is the best way to go about doing this if i send emails to all the dealers should i tell them what price iam looking for or should i just ask them for their best offer without the rebates because i want the 0 percent interest.
  • Options
    jwilliams2jwilliams2 Member Posts: 910
    Sure, anything is possible. The dealer can perhaps call your state Governor's office and ask them to waive the sales tax, license, and registration fees.

Seriously, the TMV is just a guideline. Best way to find out what the dealer will actually sell the car is to send an email with your exact requirements, and ask for their best price. Let them know you are ready to buy.

If no one meets your target number, perhaps you should either step up, or look at a less expensive model.

Good luck.
  • Options
    so today i began my online venture into getting the best deal so far the best deal ive gotten is 19805.32 for the lancer gts i want which is without rebates. THat price is below invoice becuase the invoice for this car is 20085 with destination according to EDMUNds but the price iam getting is the OTD for it. Iam gono ask for a buyer contract then see if anyone else will beat it if not the this is a go.
  • Options
    Let us know if you were low balled. That's very common when someone uses the method you mentioned. The dealers know you are shopping their price, so they give you an incredibly low number, but when you show up to close the deal, there's some bogus reason why they can't do the deal.
  • Options
    Yeah mikefm58 i was thinking about that that is why iam gono ask them for a car buyer contract. Also the dealer is out of state he included in the price the taxes and tags fee for my state (MD). And i told them how would that work when i register the car in MD he said they will send me a check for the amount of the sales tax but i will have to pay for the tags myself.

If he gives be the car buying contract and he ends up lowballing me is there anything i can do?
  • Options
    Iam gono ask for a buyer contract then see if anyone else will beat it if not the this is a go.

Disclaimer: I am not a salesperson. I am a consumer.

IMHO, the above behaviour is what gives buyes a bad name. If you got to the point to ask for a buyer contract, don't shop it around. Buyt it. You are past the point of comparison shopping.

Of course, if they low ball you, you should run to the door.
  • Options
    I am going to jump in here and agree that you might be getting lowballed. 19,805 OTD would be something like 18,500 before tax, title and license. Looking around the internet that is a doable price but it has to include rebates. So I think 19,805 without rebates is way low.

I also agree that once you get a buyers contract you should buy. Also not that once you sign a contract it is as legally binding on you as it is on the car dealership.

• Options
    Well he told me himself that no one beats his prices and their the best Mitsubishi dealer in the area, so i asked him for the buyer contract saying i want to see if anyone can beat you. and that you dont have nothing to worry about because like you said no one will beat your price. Also if i request a buyers contract that doesnt mean that i have to buy it from there right? If no one beats their price then i will go up there. And lastly if i get the buyers contract is there anyway he still can low ball me?
  • Options
    Also if i request a buyers contract that doesnt mean that i have to buy it from there right? If no one beats their price then i will go up there. And lastly if i get the buyers contract is there anyway he still can low ball me?

Of course, "Sorry man, but we JUST sold that vehicle to someone else. And that was the only one we had at such a low price. But we have some others over here you might be interested in for just a little bit more."

What you are asking for is a contract that is legally binding on the part of the dealer but NOT legally binding on YOUR part. What kind of an idiot would do that? You can't have your cake and eat it too they say.
  • Options
    Well he told me himself that no one beats his prices and their the best Mitsubishi dealer in the area,

Man if I only had a dime every time I heard "No one beats our prices".

so i asked him for the buyer contract saying i want to see if anyone can beat you.

You don't need a buyers contract to do that. You have his price go and see if anyone can beat it.

Also if i request a buyers contract that doesntt mean that i have to buy it from there right?

If you sign it then legally yes you signed a contract saying you will buy the car. Will the dealership force you to honor it? Most likely not.

Also remember that for a contract to have any effect there has to be an acceptance of the contract. If you take it to shop the price around you haven't accepted the contract so they can rescind it at any time.

And lastly if i get the buyers contract is there anyway he still can low ball me?

Mikefm58 said it best.