Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sweet! Congrats!
  • tjw7tjw7 Member Posts: 25
    edited February 2016
    hi stever, just received this from a dealer in nyc what do you think? For a 2016 CR-V EX: VIN 160441
    23,900 MSRP
    +2121.12 Taxes
    +350 for plates, title, and inspection
    For a total of 26,371.12
    EX FWD? I get different numbers:

Invoice $25,309, MSRP $26,895 and TMV of $25,507.

Your "MSRP" quote is closer to the LX so you're doing great for an EX.
  • tigerlili07tigerlili07 Member Posts: 1
    In OR, I was quoted $28,400 for an EXL AWD (no navigation) + $421 for all weather floor mats, cargo tray & splash guards. Is this a good deal? I'm willing to drive to ID, CA or WA if the price is right, but I haven't found anything better yet.
    edited February 2016
    Looks like Invoice is $29,098, MSRP is $30,645 and TMV is $29,341 (I used a Salem zip and the $900 destination fee is included in those numbers).

I was expecting your numbers to be worse when I plugged in that OR zip but you're $700 below invoice and that includes a $279 ad fee, at least for that zip. If you could convince the dealer to eat the ad fee (hey, it's a cost of doing business), then you'd be in a sweet spot of $1,000 below invoice. But I think you're really doing okay for the Pac NW.

It's been about 6 years since I lived in Idaho so with a big grain of salt, my guess is that you wouldn't do any better in Boise.

You can also (sometimes) find better prices online for Honda accessories, even with shipping costs.

Good luck @tigerlili07!
  • twopennytwopenny Member Posts: 1
    I have received the quote for 2016 CR-V EX AWD (Sunset Copper) in Des Moines, IA.

Base Price: $25,670
    TTL: ~$1,600
    Documentation: $140
    Total: ~$27,400

Is this a good quote? What is the price I should be targeting. I am in no rush to buy, so I can play this as long as needed. At the same time, I am ready to make a purchase if I get a good deal.

Should the color make a difference in the negotiation. I prefer Sunset Copper color, but I am ready to consider alternatives. How should I approach this with the dealer?
    We show invoice of $26,526 and TMV of $26,864 (including destination). So you're around $1,000 below invoice and that's good. You may want to wait until the end of the month and try to save a few more bucks since you aren't in a hurry.

Dealers want to sell what's in their inventory, so if the Copper isn't on the lot, they'll be less likely to bargain hard if they have to do a dealer swap. If there's one in stock today, it may not be there when the end of the month rolls around in a week.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.
  • tjw7tjw7 Member Posts: 25
    edited February 2016
    thanks stever, so if i can get the msrp price for an awd 2016 ex for 23,900 and otd of $26,371 how can i turn this into a good
    lease for 36 months 15,000 miles per year[total 45,000 miles] ? what would be the numbers i look for ?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    tjw7 said:

thanks stever, so if i can get the msrp price for an awd 2016 ex for 23,900 and otd of $26,371 how can i turn this into a good
    lease for 36 months 15,000 miles per year[total 45,000 miles] ? what would be the numbers i look for ?

The lease numbers for the CR-V EX AWD are .00125 and 62%.

However, you won't use the OTD number in the lease calculations. Sales tax in NY is calculated against the sum of the payments and is either paid up front or added to the selling price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• seang86sseang86s Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    Hi everyone. Picked up a 2016 EX with AWD for $25261 today. Came out to $27500 OTD in NJ (7%). Car came with wheel locks and Nitrogen.
    Thanks for the report @seang86s and congrats on the new CR-V!
  • alfstinky1alfstinky1 Member Posts: 92
    Hi Seang86s. Nice deal, could you share what part of Jersey that was in? Thanks!
  • seang86sseang86s Member Posts: 2
    @stever, thanks. Wish I saw that Boston deal before going in. Perhaps I could have gotten it lower!

If anyone is interested, please PM me for details. @alfstinky1, I left you a PM.
    seang86s said:

@stever, thanks. Wish I saw that Boston deal before going in. Perhaps I could have gotten it lower!

If anyone is interested, please PM me for details. @alfstinky1, I left you a PM.

You can share dealership and salesman names, just no contact information - phone or email.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• msgmsg1msgmsg1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi. I am in NY I was quoted out the door price for a honda crv lx $26968. Is this a fair price. Thanks for the help.
    edited February 2016
    Hm, your state tax (4%?) is around $1,080, making the selling price around $25,900 by my rough guess.

I'm assuming your are looking at an AWD version of the LX. Invoice is $24,420, MSRP is $25,945 and TMV is
    $24,856
    . Those numbers include destination but not any fees or taxes or any dealer options.

So you're paying MSRP it looks like. TMV is closer to invoice than MSRP - I'd ask around for more quotes, unless there's more to those numbers than I'm seeing. Posting a breakdown may help.
    Thanks for the quick response. Yes the car is the AWD version of the LX but I was told by the dealer ny state tax is 8.5%. I will continue to look. Thanks again
    edited February 2016
    Out the door is a great way to bargain, but it's harder for us to "run the numbers" because everyone's taxes are different. So much for my quick Google search on NY taxes lol. Did seem low, but mine are only 3% out here in NM.

It's getting close to the end of the month - hopefully you'll find a dealer who needs a sale to make quota. A good target is $1,000 below invoice, but that may not be possible in your region. I have cousins by marriage up in Herkimer and near Newburgh, but all I really know about prices in NY is that the taxes are crazy. :)

@andrewroo got a quote not too long ago in Little Neck NY for around $500 off invoice.
    Thanks for the advice. I found somewhere else that would take $100 of the total. Just wondering what is the invoice price for the se in Queens Ny. Thanks again.
    I am sorry I meant invoice price for ex in Queens Ny. Thanks
    I got my answer thanks. Sorry I don't know how to delete the previous post.
  • crvexbuyercrvexbuyer Member Posts: 17
    some dealer charge Nitrogen-1 year tire warranty for $200, is this necessary (CRV EX). thank you
    Otd price crv ex in nyc for 29k including taxes & dmv fees. Taxes are 8.78 % did I do good Steve.
    edited February 2016
    Looks like you're ~$220 over invoice. That was probably because of some other fees in addition to the taxes.

For NYC? You done good. :)
    Thanks that makes me feel great to hear my first car purchase and I went to the dealer all by self.
    edited February 2016
    Sweet. Be sure and come back and see us in 3 to 5 years when you're ready for the next new one.

Or sooner, if you just want to talk about features or maintenance or want to cheak out a bug before taking it in for service. :)

(oh, and my math, as usual, was off a bit. I thought the tax was 8.5%, so you even did a little bit better than I thought).
  • ndimas77ndimas77 Member Posts: 5
    I am looking at a 2016 CR-V SE that is FWD. I am in Mesa, AZ but dealer is in Chandler. The MSRP is $25,295. What is a good OTD price? Also, just wondering, but does anyone have any knowledge about AutoNation employee discounts?
  • bmore52bmore52 Member Posts: 2
    I hope this helps anyone in the DC/Baltimore area. Just purchased today a 2016 CR V EX AWD in Urban Titanium.
    Msrp $28,195
    Paid $26,550 otd
    CR V $24740 including $900 freight and $300 processing fee
    Tax 6%
    Tags and title $270
    1.9% through SECU(through dealer)for 72 months
    Dealer had coupon for $200 credit for accessories
    Used it to get Honda all weather floor mats and first aid kit

About $1800 back of invoice($2000 if you count the accessories )

Dealership was great. No$200 pinstripes, wheel locks ,stainguard, ect. Low pressure and straight up. In out in an hour.
    bmore52 said:

I hope this helps anyone in the DC/Baltimore area. Just purchased today a 2016 CR V EX AWD in Urban Titanium.

Thanks for that info and congrats!

• banne11banne11 Member Posts: 2
    bmore52 - what was the dealer's name, if you don't mind sharing?
  • gazhang1gazhang1 Member Posts: 1
    bmore52 - I live in Maryland and also looking for 2016 CR-V Ex AWD. Do you mind sharing the dealer's name or the sales associate info? Thanks,
  • bmore52bmore52 Member Posts: 2
    Bane 11 and Gazhang1, I bought from Odonnel in Ellicott City, salesman was Terry A. Terry was great. I actually got my best price when I applied for the accessories coupon. The Internet manager sent a quote for $22580. It did not include $900 freight, $300 dealer processing fee, and I had to add $1000 because the price included the recent college grad and military discount which I did not qualify. All said price came to $24, 750 plus tax and tags. Just a note I got my best price on the last day of the month. If you go definitely request Terry, laid back and just personable. He has been there 28 years.
  • gmoseslgmosesl Member Posts: 1
    So glad I found this forum. Seems like it's so much harder to negotiate online and I have no idea what my goal price should be.
    I am look for 2016 crv ex. I am in central Jersey. My best quote was $25598 otd $28025.
    I feel like I could easily get them down cause I was still in the show me the other quotes and I will beat them stage... also this was with free oil changes lifetime.
    I was thinking 27500 otd was my goal, is that a great price or should I do better?
  • firebird63firebird63 Member Posts: 2
    Planning to purchase a 2016 CRV EX this weekend with the following added accessories: roof rails, rear spoiler, mud guards, and wheel locks. In South Carolina (29625 zip code). Was only given an OTD quote of 27,224.30. There is one dealer I am considering that doesn't have any doc fees. @Stever do you think 26k OTD is reasonable/fair?
    Hi @firebird63,

"Cheap" taxes. I'm not sure about the accessories since those are all dealer installed for Hondas. We usually have MSRP and Invoice prices on accessories, but not for Hondas. You can price out accessories online - a few Honda dealers sell them and often you can save money buying online, even with shipping costs.

College Hills Honda has rails for $366 and cross bars for 170. The spoiler runs $219 online. Wheel locks are $38. The splash guards are $69.

The EX (assuming FWD) and no accessories is $25,424 Invoice, $26,895 MSRP and the TMV average is $25,694. Those numbers include the $900 destination. There's also an Advertising Fee of $115 in your area, but you should be able to negotiate that away.

Ignoring the ad fee, I'm coming up with an OTD price of $26,894, which includes the online accessory numbers.

So you're within ~$300 of the TMV selling price.

I'm not all that familiar with that zip code. Prices over in Chattanooga seem high to me when I go visit family there and I don't recall seeing many great deals over in Atlanta either. We like seeing deals below invoice on CR-Vs and often do up in Virginia/MD, around the DC area. Don't see many of those deals in North or South Carolina.

For your area, I think your quote is pretty good. If you want to haggle a bit, you may be able to get it down a few hundred more bucks. And you may want to get a Price Promise number and see how that stacks up against your quote.
  • fatalysisfatalysis Member Posts: 2
    Looking to purchase a 2016 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD (No Navigation) in Chicago, IL (60630). Stopped by the dealer that gave me the lowest e-price for a test drive and afterwards talked numbers. Here's what I received for OTD pricing:

OTD Pricing
    Sales Price: $26,998
    Destination Fee: $900
    Doc Fee: $169
    Sales Tax (9.5%): $2,667
    Title and License: $160
    OTD: $30,894

TMV Pricing
    Invoice: $28,834
    MSRP: $30,645
    TMV: $29,007

I tried to see if the dealer could drop the sales price any lower, but he said that their internet price is the lowest they could go. Does their pricing seem reasonable as is?
    edited March 2016
    Well, their sales price is really $26,998 plus the destination, so it's $27,898 before taxes and fees. That's still $1,000 below invoice though so it's a strong quote.

You could shop the quote around or wait until the end of the month, but you're doing fine right now. May as well get it and start enjoying the new ride. ;)
  • firebird63firebird63 Member Posts: 2
    Purchased a 2016 CRV EX today in South Carolina. Alabaster Silver Metallic with Gray Cloth interior. Added accessories include roof rails, rear spoiler, wheel locks, cargo tray, rear exterior protectant and mud guards. Vehicle including accessories and installation was 25,761. SC sales tax was 300 and tag was 39. With recent college grad incentive OTD price was 25,600. How did I do @stever ?
    Heh, your first quote was $27,200 and you purchased for $25,600? Nice work! :)
    Got my 2016 CRV ex for a week, miles around 240, the avg mileage for fuel is 25/gallon. is this good number? as i read the avg should be around 29. I drove to work and mostly highway, in houston. thanks
    edited March 2016
    Some people get the EPA mpg right off the bat but I never have. Most of the time it takes a few thousand miles for the mechanicals to break in and typically your mpg should creep up during that time. The mileage on one of my rides kept rising even after 10,000 miles.

With just 240 miles, the transmission may still be in learn mode.
    Also could you please explain what is econ mode, how to use it. thanks again
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527

Got my 2016 CRV ex for a week, miles around 240, the avg mileage for fuel is 25/gallon. is this good number? as i read the avg should be around 29. I drove to work and mostly highway, in houston. thanks

If you've only driven 240 miles, how are you calculating the mileage?

Fill it up, reset trip odometer. Re-fill it, then divide miles driven by gallons to re-fill.
    Repeat a couple of times, to make sure you have solid numbers.

You can't do all that with only 240 miles driven.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Also could you please explain what is econ mode, how to use it. thanks again

Is it a button on the dash?

If so, turning it on will cause the transmission to shift into a higher gear quicker, which is good for fuel economy but not so good for acceleration.

I have it on all the time in my Hyundai.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    The kind of thing I would never do. Especially in a normally aspirated 4 cylinder car.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • harikc1980harikc1980 Member Posts: 9
    I am looking to buy Honda CRV- EX or EX-L, what would be best deal I should be paying in NewJersey (North), I can go around central jersey or little far to get it.
    TMV for an EX AWD for a Bergen zip is coming in right around invoice. So, my guess is that you should be able to find one for $1,000 to $1,500 below invoice.

Depending on whether you wait until the end of the month, how hungry the dealer is, the moon phase. :)

Seems like the prices get better the closer to DC you get, so yeah, if your quotes aren't exciting, expand downstate a bit.
  • harikc1980harikc1980 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Stever, I can wait till end of the month. Will keep you all posted.
  • falmouthfalmouth Member Posts: 30
    Made a deal on a 2016 EX FWD. Pohanka Honda in Fredericksburg, VA. $23809 including Freight. Unfortunately not including $599 processing fee. Pick up end of month.
  • shyguy1shyguy1 Member Posts: 20
    Hi Stever, got quote in S Cal for 2016 CRV EX 26450 OTD. No options but stated I would have pay extra for options. Is this a good deal? Msrp 26895 I believe. Thanks