Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hybrids in the News

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I'm not offended. I just think your allegations are utterly ridiculous, and totally off topic for this discussion besides.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Let's knock off the personal bickering and get back to the discussion. Thanks.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Even cities are encouraging Hybrid drivers:

http://www.news8austin.com/content/headlines/?ArID=132605&SecID=2
  • Options
    electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
    Until they run of room (like crowded HOV lanes) or dollars (like lower income from gas taxes), and then the politicians will revoke the privilege and/or add a new tax.

troy
  • Options
    yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    By consuming lesser fuel, Hybrids leave some money in people's pockets to buy some other goods. And the state may gain more taxes from this.

Big SUV's send all money from USA to else where.
    So hybrids are better for the State.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Big SUV's send all money from USA to else where. So hybrids are better for the State.

Wait just a minute. My Suburban kept most of $36k in America. A prius sends most of the $27k to Japan. My gas over 7 years & 48k miles cost about $7k, of which most was made from Alaska crude in ARCO refinery in Long Beach.

Now tell me how your Hybrid is good for America?
  • Options
    quote gagrice-"Now tell me how your Hybrid is good for America?"-end quote

Gary, some of your attitudes need an update. :)

Firstly: 25 to 30 years ago, MOST of an import car's cost went to Japan.

Not in 2005.

Now ALL the japanese companies have USA plants and USA parts factories. American employees build the cars. American employees get paid from the profits of those cars. American employees get retirement income from those cars. American salespeople sell those cars. American dealers keep the profits they make on the sale of those cars. American mechanics are paid for working on those cars. American retail stores make money selling parts for those cars. American stockholders make profit on company stocks.

And about the gas:

IF we cut down on fuel usage as a COUNTRY of citizens, does that or does that not reduce our dependence on foreign oil?

(hint - it does)

(and how dow you know the fuel you put in your suburban is US refined?)
  • Options
    May be, you have driven only 48k miles, but an average person drives 84,000 miles in 7 years even at a low of 12k miles / year. An an average Sub gets only 10 MPG.

Now calculate
    8400 gallons * $ 2 = $ 16,800 is your fuel bill.

Escape Hybrid is fully American made and if someone is so patriotic, they can go for it.
  • Options
    An an average Sub gets only 10 MPG.

That is a misnomer spread by those that do not own them. I researched before I bought and most of the people I talked to get the EPA 14/18 from their Suburbans. True enough the Escape Hybrid is the only one built here. There are no plans by Toyota to build their Hybrids in US factories. So all but one hybrid has a negative impact on the balance of trade. Plus only 43% of the cost in a gallon of gas is from the crude oil whether imported or domestic. I don't advocate using anymore than is necessary. But when I see all this hyperbole about the hybrids being so good for America it needs to be refuted. There are many clean cars that are built here that get good mileage. IF you are concerned about what is good for America.
  • Options
    mthexumamthexuma Member Posts: 43
    The hondas that I buy do a lot more for the US economy than any American SUV I could buy. Lets see, buy and American SUV to let the CEO of Ford pocket lots of money than lay off 10,000 workers or buy my Honda(which was built in the USA - Utah if I recall correctly), support more fuel efficient vehicles and a company that has a far better track record than ford or gm. For those of you that think that Toyotas and Hondas are built in some far off country you think wrong. FYI - Ford mazda engines come from mexico - rumor has it that there focus engines are built there too. Many other Ford parts do come from abroad. I will never support a company such as Ford that has a commitment to sell cheap products that waste gas.
  • Options
    mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I hope you're not trying to suggest that Honda and/or Toyota manufacturer more, or even as many, cars and parts in the US as GM, Ford, or DCX. Sorry, just not true - not even close.

I'm not saying that they don't manufacture elsewhere - they do, every car company does. But let's get our facts straight.

Also, I believe if you measure the average fuel efficiency of ALL cars a manufacturer produces, GM comes out ahead. How about that?
  • Options
    This was released 6 minutes ago - brand new info...

http://i-newswire.com/pr9452.html

"i-Newswire, 2005-03-08 - The next generation of fuel cell technology was unveiled at the 2005 Geneva Motor Show by DaimlerChrysler, the pioneer of fuel cell drive. Sports tourers are now the new members of the family of fuel cell vehicles with the Mercedes Benz B-Class sporting the enw F-Cell. This F-Cell's unique sandwich concept developed by Mercedes Benz is perfect for this type of drive unit.

The fuel cell's emission free operation is congruous with sporty, dynamic driving. the technical data proves this fact: the high-torque electric motor will develop more than 100 kW -- 35 kW more power than its predecessor generation. And because the fuel cell reduces fuel consumption and further enhances storage capacity, the operating range has now been increased to almost 250 miles ( 400 km ). Also, component reliability and longevity has been enhanced."
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Now ALL the japanese companies have USA plants and USA parts factories. American employees build the cars."

Prius is built in Japan...
  • Options
    it really means nothing.....the car is driven here, repaired here, supplied here, resold here. There are plenty of "Americans" in the support chain....
  • Options
    "
    it really means nothing.....the car is driven here, repaired here, supplied here, resold here. There are plenty of "Americans" in the support chain...."

If it means nothing, why has it been such a to-do about Japanese companies building their cars in America? Let them build them all in Japan if it means nothing. I'm not sure you'll find much support for that position...
  • Options
    "By consuming lesser fuel, Hybrids leave some money in people's pockets to buy some other goods. And the state may gain more taxes from this. "

While that statement is true, it doesn't change the fact that California and Oregon politicians are seeking to add a new tax to Hybrids, to recover money lost from less gasoline burnt.

A privilege granted by politicians today (free parking/HOV use) will probably be tomorrow.

troy
  • Options
    rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    This isn't news - snip - By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News U.S. motorists were first introduced to gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles six years ago, but the honeymoon is still going strong, according to an influential consumer survey.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0503/08/C01-110688.htm
  • Options
    mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Well, not really the news, but on Alias last night there was a painful, non-sequiter, pro-hybrid speech where one character was convincing another to buy a hybrid because of sending oil money to the mid-east, global warming, etc., etc. Absolutely, completely nothing to do with the story.

Political statements have no place in popular entertainment unless they're an integral part of the story. It was painful to watch.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    From a front-page story in today's Star Tribune, Newspaper of the Twin Cities:

With Twin Cities gas prices peaking at $2.27 per gallon last week, hybrid cars have never seemed more enticing. They're quiet and environmentally friendly and get superior gas mileage in stop-and-go traffic. But try to find one.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5288204.html

(That link requires free registration. To get there without registering, try going to the home page at http://www.startribune.com/ and look for the article link near the bottom of the page. That worked for me the first time I tried it, but on the 2nd try I had to register.)
  • Options
    A very detailed review of the HAH, with info I had not previously known about:

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050317.gtwhaccord17/BNStory/Technolog- y/
  • Options
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/17/national/main681142.shtml

See the picture of gas price board in the left.

A person with hybrid will not suffer.
  • Options
    xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Yerth10:

I can assure you that a person with a hybrid does suffer just as those without.

I saw you post a link to PO the other day. Look me up over there. Some of the zealots have the right idea but their idea of hybrid is a type of seed that will allow them to recover the plants oil to make Bio. Very hybrid unfriendly in my experience while posting at that site.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    Wayne

What is PO.
  • Options
    http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050317.gtwhaccord17/BNStory/Technolog- y/

"This pick was sealed when the gas-electric Accord Hybrid version earned the highest score in the family sedan category, beating out the Passat V-6, which had shared the top pick in that segment last year," CR spokesman Doug Love says. "The Hybrid delivers quicker acceleration than the V-6 Accord, but the fuel economy of the four-cylinder version. And it's really the first of a new wave of hybrids that delivers both good performance and better fuel economy than the conventional version."

troy
  • Options
    xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Yerth10:

Peakoil.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    NOW IT BEGINS! NOTHING WILL STOP THIS TILL WE GET WITH THE ECO-PROGRAM. Notice I didn't say hybrid. It's time to drive smart cars. Maybe to show we can be smart.
    Culliganman(Free Us PRIUS)
  • Options
    "NOW IT BEGINS! NOTHING WILL STOP THIS TILL WE GET WITH THE ECO-PROGRAM. Notice I didn't say hybrid. It's time to drive smart cars. Maybe to show we can be smart."

I have to disagree. Nothing will stop this until we run out of fossil fuels... and even then the fuel cell or other technologies will allow for large cars.

In case you haven't noticed, the vast majority of Americans don't give a hoot about "eco" anything.
  • Options
    Its not that only Oil prices are going up.
    Even Iron-ore prices are up. Expect the price of big SUV's to go up by 3-4K.

Maybe they should use ROCK in the place of STEEL.
  • Options
    Lexus GS 450h Hybrid sedan to be introduced next week and the NY Auto Show:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050318/laf042_3.html
  • Options
    A V8 Engine combined with Motor giving V12 power, it will cost around $ 70-80K to compete with the high end models of Benz, BMW & Volks.

What I am surprised is in RX400h, the motor gives the power of V2 over V6 engine (33 % more) while in GS450h, the motor gives V4 over V8 engine (50 % more). Does it use any new tech.

Have the battery companies ramped up the production to supply for Prius, RX400h, HH, Sienna and GS450h.

We will get the answers soon.
  • Options
    oranuoranu Member Posts: 10
    Last year there were Toyota statements that a Camry hybrid would appear for sale in 2006. I've neither seen nor heard anything about the Camry hybrid since. Does it "live"? If it is still planned for production and sale, what are the parameters (4 or 6 cylinders? Continuous or 4 speed transmission? Etc?
  • Options
  • Options
    rencorenco Member Posts: 38
    Can anyone tell me if this is true?

"You could do more for the environment if you were to purchase $3,000 worth of trees and have them planted in the rain forest."

http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/366
  • Options

that is one of two diametrically opposed articles that appeared a while back. One advocated the hybrids the other did not. He gives some valid reasons against hybrids just as the other writer gave valid reasons for the hybrids. You have to make up your own mind of what you think about this emerging technology. Here is the For hybrid counter point article.

PS
    I agree that planting trees is a better way to improve the environment.

http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/367
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0503/23/A01-126133.htm

Notice the woman who owns the Accord Hybrid. It seems it is not just the under 50 crowd who wants the latest and greatest.
  • Options
    This article has these 2 facts
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7266895/

The new SUVs, being built at its domestic plant in the southern island of Kyushu, are powered by a 3.3-liter V6 gasoline engine coupled with an improved hybrid system that gets acceleration comparable to a 5.0-litter gasoline engine while releasing less harmful emissions.

Both SUVs can be driven 41.9 miles on a gallon of gas — comparable to a compact car and a significant improvement over the same models fueled by a gasoline engine only.

A 3.3 liter V6 gasoline engine give the power of 5.0 liter gasoline engine is awesome.
    They claim 41.9 MPG, even if it gives 32 MPG, its really great. Normally engines with 5 liter engine will give only 12 MPG.

We got to see the real world average. I guess both the motor and battery chemistry must have changed.
  • Options
    Notice the woman who owns the Accord Hybrid. It seems it is not just the under 50 crowd who wants the latest and greatest.

"If I'm not careful, I'm going to get a big speeding ticket one of these days,"

If she is not careful she may kill someone.

The same mentality will spend thousands for plastic surgery. All to feel like they are younger than they really are. This is just what we need a bunch of older folks with more horsepower than they have the reflexes to handle. I hope all the crazy old people with high powered cars stay East of the Rockies. They will not improve the overall safety of the public. I raced cars and motorcycles on & off road when I was young. Thank goodness I got it out of my system before I hurt myself or someone else. Hybrids started out to be beneficial to our society. They will lose credibility with the direction they are headed.
  • Options
    She IS the "under 50 crowd" - age 46.

troy
  • Options
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id=20050323a
    Personal Mobility Vehicle
    * uses Li-Ion battery
    * can be operated in both upright & horizontal mode
    * in-wheel motors

Slowly the Lithium batteries are moving into automobiles.
  • Options
    http://www.greencarcongress.com
    Candada to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from vehicles by 5.3 million metric tons by 2010.

They should promote hybrids in some way to achieve Kyoto reductions.
  • Options
    She IS the "under 50 crowd" - age 46

I guess the original poster assumed she was over 50..
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    No, I should have read the article more carefully. Anyway she looks much older than 46. I know many woman in their forties who looks young enough to be her daughter.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Posts about sun-damaged skin, etc. have been removed.
  • Options
    http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102021

Honda Civic Hybrid carries a $2,390 premium over a gasoline-powered Civic EX, while the Accord hybrid carries a $3,290 premium over a gasoline-powered Accord V-6 EX.

Its true for Civic Hybrid, but not for Accord Hybrid.

That $2.4K extra can be obtained after driving just 120-130K miles.
  • Options
    rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    Ford ain't done ... - snip - OTTAWA -- It's not every day that a Mustang convertible is upstaged by a mid-size sedan. But on the opening day of the Ottawa-Gatineau International Auto Show this week, the pedestal in the Ford sales area was reserved for the new Fusion sedan -- not the new Mustang, not the Lincoln pickup or hybrid Escape SUV, but the middle-of-the-road sedan. The symbolism is not lost on Joe Hinrichs, the young new chief executive of Ford Motor Co. of Canada.

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/theprovince/news/driving/story.html?id=e90b16a5-3291-432a-- 8ddc-53c3324ba2bc
  • Options
    quasar4quasar4 Member Posts: 110

"You could do more for the environment if you were to purchase $3,000 worth of trees and have them planted in the rain forest."

--That article is so full of crap, that we'd be better off using it to fertilize some of those trees.
  • Options
    gfedchakgfedchak Member Posts: 37
    Honda boosts domestic (Japan) production because of strong overseas demand for, among other things, the Accord Hybrid:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050328/japan_auto_production.html?.v=2
  • Options
    Good article detailing why Hybrids are a better choice than biodiesel at least in some cold locales:

http://www.vailtrail.com/newsdetail.cfm?NewsID=2955
  • Options
    The mountains win again

Even with ski resorts’ emphasis on green-technology, even with a population that values trees over asphalt, Steamboat’s Krawzoff can’t see mountain towns being at the forefront of hydrogen fuel cells, biodiesel or hybrids.

It doesn't sound like they are doing that well with any of the green technologies. The mayor dumped his Prius and bought an Outback. The Prius is not ideal for deep snow according to some of the owners. The underlying emphasis on each attempt to be green was that it costs too much for what you get. If they are banking on hydrogen fuel cells I think they will have magic carpets before that becomes cost effective.

It struck me when they were contemplating the high cost of hybrid buses, that the school buses are an even bigger pollution problem. That one district with 450 buses. What do you suppose they put out in the way of emissions and GHG? Is it really better than parents driving their kids to school? hmmm
  • Options
    stevewastevewa Member Posts: 203
    I don't know about your district, but a lot of our school buses run on propane or CNG.

So they are a bit cleaner than the gas or diesel school buses of old...
This discussion has been closed.