Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• Options
    wa40wa40 Member Posts: 11
    I haven't heard anything bad about Arrow service, in fact I have no knowledge of there service record. I looked at the cars at Boucher on Sunday as well as Amato on 76th street. Both Amato and Arrow have several car that I would be interested in. Just depends on the next rebate and what kind of a deal I can make with my trade.
  • Options
    splx81splx81 Member Posts: 23
    In D.C area, i've been two hyundai service departments which are alexandria and fairfax. Personally, i prefer fairfax one b/c it's larger, more kind than alexandria, and offers a ride
    service in case u don't wanna wait up there.
  • Options
    allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    I guess it boils down to what you look for. Alexandria has a ride service which I have used with no problems and the driver is friendly & courteous as well. The service manager is an abundance of information when it comes to the Hyundai vehicles and he's always willing to share it with anyone that wants to know anything.

Ken Dixon is bigger than Alexandria and while they are friendly, they run more like a machine. They are not as personable with you, but definitely friendly and courteous.

Honestly, I don't mind a 20 minute drive to get good service. The main reason I actually go to Ken Dixon now is because they have a program (since I bought my car there) that every penny I spend, a percentage of it goes towards the purchase of a new vehicle there.
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "The front seems to be fine, but it's a noticeable difference in back. On the passenger side, you can slide your hand between the top of the tire and the edge of the fender with no problem, on the driver's side...you have to angle your hand upwards and even then you end up scraping it on the fender edge. ... Also, anyone have an issue with the sunroof not seating properly when it's closed?" ((

When I was ten, my dad bought a new '55 Plymouth Savoy 2-dr sedan - his first new car in six years. In less than a week he was convinced the car listed to one side. But, like your observation, it listed oppositely in the front than the rear. He took it back to the dealership since in those days new car warranties were for only three months/3,000 miles if I'm not mistaken. The service manager listened patiently and then said, "That's too bad. Your new car was normal when you took delivery." And, that was that. Hope you have better luck than my dad did.
  • Options
    Well Ray...one thing I have that your poor father didn't was the Hyundai extended warranty (10yr/100K miles). Haven't heard from the service dept. as of yet, so I don't know what the cause of it is. However...I do know I won't be paying for a single thing as I only have just over 16K miles on my ride.

Actually...the warranty is one of the reasons I bought Hyundai again. Because of the horsepower discrepancy, my powertrain warranty was extended to 120K miles, so...4 years and 105K miles down the road...the car was still covered as far as the powertrain went (which to me was the most important part). However, most of the warranty work I ever got happend within the first year and a half. The last 2.5 years were problem free!!!
  • Options
    tibtuscanitibtuscani Member Posts: 46
    Hyundai Azera limited with the Ultimate Package for $26,100 with all taxes and fees. Good thing we bought it on Monday because the Rebate changed from 1500 to 1000 so we would of lost $500 if we waited gamble paid off.
  • Options
    muminmumin Member Posts: 13
    What dealership? Thx.
  • Options
    dealership in milwaukee, WI
  • Options
    I like them, they look nice on the Azera:

• Options
    jnd17jnd17 Member Posts: 62
    I like the rims though I have seen better. I do not like the double exhaust. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    The owner probably believes those two double extensions make the car go twice as fast. Too bad there wasn't enough room for "Genu-ine He-man Tuner-style" coffee-can resonators to make the car sound like a flatulent squirrel toolin' down the road.
  • Options
    wa40wa40 Member Posts: 11
    I think I quessed wrong, feeling the rebates would go up. They are giving great ones on the 2006 and 2007 Sonata's. Thats a great price with our sales tax being what it is, good deal.Not sure what I will do now.
  • Options
    rmc4azrmc4az Member Posts: 1
    Hello, this is my first posting to this group. I just bought my Azera, Ultimate last week. I've read just about everything posted on this site about the Azera and the information was invaluable. I want to thank everyone who has posted here for convincing me to buy the Azera. This is a repost with largeer type.
  • Options
    tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    One other possible plus to synthetic oil: Easier starting when it's very cold outside. It thickens less, which gives the starter motor less resistance to push against.

On the other hand, I'm not as familiar as Ray with the improvement in recent conventional oils. Ray, do you think this is no longer much of an issue?
  • Options
    plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    I've had my Azera for about 6 months now and until last week I had seen only one other Azera, that one parked in the parking lot of our local Costco. Granted, down here in the southwest corner of Utah we don't have the opportunities to see others like those of you in more urban settings. Well, all that changed last week when I drove over to Monterey, California to spend a few days. In the course of driving around Monterey I saw FOUR Azera's in four days!! One black, two silver, and an Aubergine. I have no idea as to whether or not these were local or out of town/state visitors, but they sure seemed to be popular in this relatively prosperous area. On the other hand, I spent several days in the LA area (Burbank) and didn't see a one. I still enjoy driving something that few others recognize. :)
  • Options
    )) "On the other hand, I'm not as familiar as Ray with the improvement in recent conventional oils. Ray, do you think this is no longer much of an issue?" ((

I don't believe it's as much of an issue as it was as recently as three or four years ago - and the conventionals of that period were already pretty darned good. Current (API SM/ILSAC GF-4) conventional oils are VERY good within 6K mile oil change intervals. (I'm not sure I could sleep well at night pushing them to 7,500 miles, though, unless it was primarily highway driving*...) The national name brand conventionals have very highly refined base oils (all but the lowest of the low bottom-feeder independent brands using a form of synthesis, "hydrogen isomerization" to further tweak the base stocks) and robust additive chemistries. For anyone interested in my personal recommendation for a top line conventional at very reasonable pricing, seek out Chevron Supreme or its corporate twin, Havoline, in the owner's manual recommended viscosity. Motorcraft, a synthetic blend, is also on my personal favorites shortlist. I have no argument with those who're willing to cough up the extra shekels for full synthetics, though.

*Highway miles are the easiest miles an internal combustion engine will ever see because the engine's fully warmed (burns off moisture and fuel contamination in the motor oil and sends it out the exhuast), tooling along at a fairly constant speed, and as close to the ideal 15:1 stoichometric air/fuel mix as possible. Conversely, stop-'n-go urban crawl along with incomplete warming (promotes moisture and fuel contamination in the motor oil) just to pick up a few groceries and then back home a couple times a week is an oil killer. Grannies really do need to get their motor oil changed at 3K mile intervals.
  • Options
    Finally...got my baby some new shoes and shades. Take a peek and let me know what you think!!!
  • Options
    zredsoxzredsox Member Posts: 90
    The baby looks great, nice choice on the shoes.
    Have you got pictures with other views you can show?
  • Options
    I took that pic in the garage at my job cause it was raining. I'll take some better photos this weekend, it'll be nice and sunny.

Glad you like it though...you just don't know how much I went through to find some I thought would set the car off.
  • Options
    Upgrading the system in this car has been pretty easy. However, by adding my own subwoofer in the trunk, I ran into problems with distortion (which caused me to fry a couple subs). So...I'm yanking the factory radio out and replacing it with this gem...

Once I get it in, I'll post about how the install went, along with some pics.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Can you tell me, is this a double-DIN head unit? What was the cost, where did you get it (CarDomain.com?)? The reason is that I have a double-DIN slot in an Elantra and would like to replace the factory head unit (a Kenwood MP3 with really tiny buttons) with a CD + cassette unit. Thanks.
  • Options
    Yes...it's a double din unit. Cardomain.com is selling it for like $290. There are a bunch of them you can choose from out there. If you want a good site to see some...

SonicElectronix.com

If you want to find a good price on one, put the model number in a google search and check Ebay out. I found that Pioneer model on Ebay (brand new) for $247 + s&h.
  • Options
    As you noticed in a previous post, I changed my wheel and tire package to a 20" selection. Seeing the car in person, the way it sits on them, the rims don't even look like 20's to be honest.

For those of you wondering about the ride quality...the tire size I have on the wheel is 245/35-20. I can tell you that highway cruising hasn't suffered at all. The only time you really notice a change in the ride is over rough roads. You feel more bumps (as to be expected) due to the lower profile of the tire, however...the plus in this is increased handling. The tire size is perfect as there is no rubbing when turning, nor when you go over bumps...they fit beautifully.

If you're looking for a "luxury" ride from the Azera, then the most you want to go up to is an 18" wheel as you'll still be able to go with a 50-series tire. Once you get to the 19" wheel, you drop to a 45-series tire and the ride becomes more rigid and more road feel is transferred through the tires.
  • Options
    Why don't you put in a in dash navigation system? it would look a lot better.
  • Options
    Looking better is all about personal perspective. However, my choice to not go with an in-dash nav. system is because #1) I'm not shelling out the kind of money they want for one (a good one), and #2) As long as I have internet access or a cell phone with the same...I don't need a nav. system. My set up is for nothing but musical entertainment. :shades:

The reason I picked the particular unit I'm going with is the silver finish, it's a double din, MP3/WMA/ACC compatible and also satellite radio ready (if I so choose to subscribe at any point). Plus...you can't go wrong with a Pioneer. ;)
  • Options
    trust me man, you think you don't need a navigation system but once you get it you can't go back.
    We are going to go with this one, its real nice about 1500 in stores and they go for around $600-700 on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-AVIC-D2-AVICD2-DVD-ROM-NAVIGATION-NEW-NO-BULLSH_W0QQ- itemZ140040881627QQihZ004QQcategoryZ79834QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pioneer In-Dash DVD Multimedia AV Navigation Receiver (AVICD2)
    Basic features

Crystal clear display: The widescreen 6.5-inch display has 1,440 x 234 pixel resolution for incredible clarity. The panel is easy to read, the touch panel provides intuitive operation, and the layout delivers user-friendly operation by positioning the basic control keys around the screen for easy reach.

Completely compatible: The AVIC-D2 provides a full media experience with AM/FM radio, CD, MP3, WMA and more, and plays CD-R/RW discs so you can burn your own mixes and play them on the road. The system is compatible with both iPod® and XM or SIRIUS satellite radio, though you’ll need to purchase additional hardware.*

Double disc slot: Taking advantage of the double-DIN size, the AVIC-D2 hides two separate disc slots behind its face panel—one for navigation map DVD-ROM and one for CD. Music from the CD player or other audio source can be enjoyed while the navigator is in operation, so you can listen to music and use the navigation without the need to constantly switch discs.

Seamless installation: The AVIC-D2 is designed for a perfect fit in vehicles that feature a double-DIN size, so the system seems to meld into the dashboard—providing a fit and finish similar to the factory systems. Forget the hassle, and have it installed professionally at the Roadshop.

Navigation

Tele Atlas maps: Pioneer Navigation Systems come with two DVD-ROMs containing a massive “Tele Atlas” database, which enables the units to provide the largest network of turn-by-turn routable roads. The discs provide nearly 11 million points of interest throughout the United States and Canada, including Alaska and Hawaii. The system sorts 258 categories to make finding the nearest gas station, ATM or restaurant easy. As you're guided along your route, points of interest are overlaid onto the map as colorful, easy-to-recognize logos and icons.

Live traffic and weather updates: With the XM NavTraffic™ digital satellite tuner, traffic information is provided through a continuous satellite broadcast, with data aggregated by NAVTEQ Traffic from multiple sources. If there is a traffic jam on the route to your destination, the Navigation System will automatically alert you of the traffic ahead, and suggest any alternate route found by the unit.*

Roadside assistance display: Access important assistance information quickly and easily. Emergency numbers, current location, street, state, latitude and longitude are just some of the display features that will make any trip safer.

Rear view camera: Keep an eye on your backside using the optional rear view camera. Two rear-view modes are offered: while you’re in reverse the rear-view camera can be in full screen, or while moving forward, you can see what’s behind you with the rear-view split screen,

Music

Supertuner® IIID™ digital tuner: Punch in your favorite radio stations and save them in one of the 18 FM/6 AM memory presets for easy access.

Sound controls: The selectable loudness control lets you hear every detail in your music at lower volume levels. The Easy EQ with five settings—powerful, super bass, flat, natural and vocal—lets you tailor the sound coming from your speakers by adjusting the settings according to the type of music you're listening to.

50 watts x 4 peak power: The internal amplifier pumps out plenty of power to your speakers. Controlled by voltage rather than current, MOSFET transistors create little or no heat to ensure fast response and high frequency performance. The result is faithful sound reproduction with expressive musical detail.

Satellite radio programming: Enjoy live digital-quality music, news, sports and entertainment from coast to coast.*

Installation instructions: A vehicle-specific wiring harness, antenna adapter, installation kit and in-dash player harness are required to install this in-dash player. Use our car audio fit guide to find the accessories that fit your vehicle.

*Requires XM or SIRIUS satellite radio subscription and/or XM NavTraffic™ service. Subscriptions sold separately.
  • Options
    Definitely a nice choice, but to be honest...I've driven years and years without one. I've been in cars with them, even have a buddy with a portable one...I just don't care for them. You enjoy it, I'm sure it will look nice in your 'Zera.

How much are you being charged for the install???
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    trust me man, you think you don't need a navigation system but once you get it you can't go back.

Sorry have to disagree with you there. Had fun playing with mine until the novelty wore off, now I never use it. I trust my knowledge of the roads and traffic I travel more than the nav system.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    See Snakes...we CAN agree on something! LOL Just bustin ya chops. Have a great weekend!!!
  • Options
    even have a buddy with a portable one...

Oh I love my portable one. Use that one all the time, just never in my car. Use it a lot for fishing, hiking and the like.

• Options
    In that respect, I say to each our own! CHEERS!
  • Options
    They can be an invaluable tool for certain things like hiking and fishing. Case in point there are a few places on some lakes that we discovered are good for fishing, its awfully hard to find the exact spot without one. You can also set it so that it sounds an alarm if you drift more than a few feet.

Get lost hiking with one and you can easily find your way back.

Another thing I like about my portable is that you can set it to sound an alarm when you get within a set distance of a certain point. There are a couple of places that I go to infrequently that have hidden turnoffs. That feature allows me to find them a lot easier.

But if I need to find my way from point 'A' to point 'B' I can always use a map.

• Options
    well I guess for people like me who have to drive everywhere for work, and I refuse to get the portable ones because I think the look ugly lol
  • Options
    oh installation is $130
  • Options
    Having been a Boy Scout that relied on map reading when doing our hikes, I can appreciate the use of a portable nav. unit. Trust me I can! However, nowadays...my outdoor activies lead me to the football field where one isn't needed. If I do...then I just need to stop playing! LOL

Honestly...I try to not rely on computers for every little detail of my life. Just like dialing numbers...I still punch a # in when calling as opposed to speed dial or looking it up in the memory. However, there are just aspects of daily living where it can't be escaped in most cases.
  • Options
    Wow...really??? Let me guess...Best Buy, Circuit City, Tweeter??? You getting a warranty on the labor of the install?
  • Options
    youbeeyoubee Member Posts: 4
    I discovered my distortion was coming from the rear head board. I placed some weather stripping between it and the underlying metal and that solved all my problems. Open your baby seat anchors and hold up on them (pulling the head board off the metal) while you are playing a heavy base song. See if you are still getting the distortion.
  • Options
    No, no, no...distortion, not vibration. I will be deactivating the factory sub when all is said and done as it doesn't handle the lower bass frequencies I want. When I was talking about distortion, I was talking about the signal being feed to my aftermarket amp, because it's from an amplified source and the voltage carrying the signal is very low. So...replacing the head unit with higher voltage outputs, as well as adding a line driver to up the RCA voltage to about 13 volts...there will be virtually no distortion to disrupt my bass! ;)
  • Options
    yeah comes with a one year warranty doesn't include parts which they said could be as high as $40 so no more then $170
  • Options
    mbhollambholla Member Posts: 37
    Looks Really Nice! So how deep of lip do you have on those wheels?> By any chance do you know what the off-set is?
    I believe I am going with 19x8.5 Dubs but I am still hunting for something that grabs me.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This discussion has been reopened in accordance with this post: Sylvia, "Forums Software! Your Questions Answered..." #3319, 12 Nov 2006 2:43 pm. :)
  • Options
    floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    I believe that most of use participate in these forums to share experiences with the car we have purchased, or are anticipating purchasing.
    Many of us, including me, are interested in the toys that can be added to our particular car.
    Many helpful tips are exchanged.
    Problems with the model and solutions to those problems, when possible, also make good talk.
    The frustrations of dealing with a company, that has shown little interest in customer or dealer support can be discussed.
  • Options
    I was reading one of the blogs found on Edmunds and came across this lil piece. This just goes to show you how worried Toyota is when it comes to the Hyundai product!!! What this should tell the consumer is that if Toyota is looking over their shoulder like this...Hyundai MUST be putting something good out.

Hyundai Blog

Jun 19, 2006

Toyota telling suppliers not to sell parts to Hyundai

It has been said before that Toyota's biggest worry is not overtaking GM in sales, but rather Hyundai overtaking Toyota in sales. With that in mind, Toyota has told suppliers not to sell parts to Hyundai. If the suppliers resist, Toyota may increase their stockholding in these companies, and thereby force them to do so.

Snippet: It could be said that major car parts are developed jointly by carmakers and their affiliates. So, "It's like fattening a rival company at Toyota's own development expenses," says Toyota official. Some Toyota executives said, "We may have to pressure (the parts makers) not to do business with Hyundai. It may sound extremely drastic, but we may have to think of raising the stockholdings of our affiliates to make them do as we tell them."
  • Options
    RE 3481
    Toyota outsells Hyundai 4 to 1 worldwide.
    Any manufacturer of any product attempts to pressure their suppliers if they swing a big enough bat.
    I'm certain that this pressure is not directed only at Hyundai suppliers.
  • Options
    Obviously...those numbers are shrinking or else they wouldn't have a reason to act in that way. It's not about numbers at this point, it's about quality and the price that Hyundai is pushing that quality. Toyota fears that Hyundai will equal or better them in the quality department and still offer their product at lower prices.

I guarantee you it's directed at the Hyundai suppliers. Mazda, Nissan and Honda have been in the game long enough for Toyota not to be able to affect them. However, they (Toyota) sees the "new kid" on the block making serious strides, they want to try and bully them into submission...or in this case, an inferior product.
  • Options
    Toyota Worries About Hyundai

Jan 11, 2006

Toyota worries about Hyundai

Toyota Motor Corp, one of the world's most successful automakers, claims to be afraid of a lot of things: complacency, competition, and success itself.

But in the United States, rival Hyundai Motor Co. may well be at the top of Toyota's list.

"We're worried about them," Yukitoshi Funo, chairman of Toyota Motor Sales USA, told reporters in Detroit this week.

"Our main competitors here are essentially Honda Motor Co. Ltd., Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. and Hyundai, but Hyundai is the one we are very carefully watching," he said on the sidelines of the North American International Auto Show here.

South Korea's top automaker, until recently a target of jokes about broken-down parts, has dramatically raised its profile on the world stage with a benchmark study by research firm J.D. Power showing an improvement in quality to match the best Japanese brands.

I think Toyota is correct in their assessment of Hyundai. In many ways their recent products have many of the same attributes that put Toyota where they are: bland if not inoffensive styling, mainstream appeal, reliability (now), and very reasonable prices.
  • Options
    RE; 3484
    Does anyone know the numbers of Azeras sold in the US compared to the numbers of Avalons?
    One might think that with the huge numbers of 06 Azera's in dealers inventory, and the discounts being offered, that to this point the Azera has not been a great marketing or sales success.
    Perhaps Hyundai should start responding to owners and dealers communication problems, to help build their support and consumer confidence.
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Here you go.

XG350/AZERA Oct 06 1,911 Oct 05 1,289 + 48.3
    CTD 06 22,473 CTD 05 13,589 +65.4

AVALON Oct 06 7,024 Oct 05 8,195 -10.9 CTD 06 73,929 CTD 05 78,315 -5.6

(Sorry about the formatting.) :(
  • Options
    theblackholetheblackhole Member Posts: 62
    Hey tenpin288-

Are the October 2006 & 2005 #'s just for the month?
    Is CTD an annual #? Cars to date / Cars to dealers? Are the CTD #'s specific to Azera & Avelon?

Hopefully the 300 ring comes soon!
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Yep, the October #'s are for the month only. CTD is calendar year to date for each vehicle. And it will probably be a long time for that 300. It's amazing how sore an arthritic back can get after a night of bowling (and beer drinking!). :cry: :sick: ;)