Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Inconsiderate Drivers II (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,635
    tjc78 said:

Too much to list today ... wild day anywhere you went near shopping.  

What happens around the holiday?  Do people forget how to drive? 

The red mist of shopping madness descends upon them. All other considerations take a back seat to getting to that next store quickly.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,918
    edited December 2018
    Little road trip today, not much of note. A few awful LLCs as to be expected, some speed enforcement, above average traffic volumes but no jams.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 13,000
    fintail said:

Little road trip today, not much of note. A few awful LLCs as to be expected, some speed enforcement, above average traffic volumes but no jams.

Nice. Hopefully, your "road trip" was to head up to visit your mother (and other family) for the holiday. If so, may your time with family build pleasant memories!
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
    Yep, it was worth it. Take advantage of it while you can, as I believe we are of quite similar age, you also know that time flies.

Trip back to the metro area wasn't as easy as the exit - jammed traffic in the south sound, inconsiderate drivers (especially non-semi box and industrial trucks today). I think the trip home took around 25% longer.
    xwesx said:

Nice. Hopefully, your "road trip" was to head up to visit your mother (and other family) for the holiday. If so, may your time with family build pleasant memories!

edited December 2018
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 126,124
    fintail said:
    Typical of Mercedes drivers in that area.. B)

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Probably his wife's car, his BMW was in the shop ;)

kyfdx said:

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,825
    edited December 2018
    kyfdx said:

fintail said:
    Yep I’m glad you have them in that area! We will send all the miscreants up that way! 😉
    Indeed, Californicators have been invading for 30 years, bidding up real estate, creating worse traffic, whining about how much better they had it in "Cali", wearing CA-themed gear, and complaining that this area is becoming too much like CA while not realizing that they are the reason.

Jerky MB driver could be one of those lucky generation transplants, but the locals are the same when it comes to jerkiness.
    edited December 2018
    Evidently, they did a good job. 😜 The locals seem to be as crabby or worse than the transplants? 👍
  • ronsteveronsteve LooavulPosts: 645
    I think it only took until the second slowdown in the Nashville metro that my better half told me "I'm glad you didn't get that job here. I couldn't deal with this traffic every day." Several idiots using the shoulder to jump a queue, lots of merge attempts across the gore, and a fairly extensive no-lights brigade (including a cop!) when we were heading back home close to sunset.

Plenty of excessive speed on display coming back up through Kentucky on I-65, last minute moves from the far left lane to the exit ramp, even an 18-wheeler straddling the lanes on a couple of curves.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
    Keeps you on your toes, right?! Glad to hear you made it home safely. :)
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
    Probably the same, just in different ways. Same for their driving, both can be bad, but different kinds of bad.

For example, locals can be timid and creep along at 5 under, and will freeze up at a 4 way stop. Transplants freak out when it rains and try to speed when traffic volumes don't allow.
    ruking1 said:

Evidently, they did a good job. 😜 The locals seem to be as crabby or worse than the transplants? 👍

Another local fun thing that was grinding my gears this morning - paranoid use of de-icer. It was 37F here, dry conditions, and many surfaces slathered with the gunk. I swear there's some kind of connection between DOT leadership and the firm who makes the chemicals. This stuff becomes an irritating film when it rains, sticking to paint and glass.
    Ugh; that stuff is so horrible! Our DOT has started using it in similar circumstances the last several years, and it makes such a mess. I guess it is just too much to ask to simply expect drivers to prepare their vehicles according to conditions or take their chances accordingly.

It seems like it actually makes the roads more slick in conditions other than a very narrow band of freezing: If it is warmer than freezing, then moisture (or lack thereof) means the roads are going to be much more slick than otherwise, and if it is colder than about fifteen degrees, then the road is going to freeze anyway, and the surface will also be much slicker than if there was none of that gunk on the road. It used to be that we could always expect the intersections to be exceptionally slick during the winter (shocking, I know!), but the rest of the roadway was fairly decent. Now, that intersection level of slickness can be found anywhere they apply the chemical deicer.

This phenomenon is particularly present in the "spring" (March, most often), when the temps are still relatively cold, but the sun is actually providing warmth again. This deicer, often applied months prior, suddenly makes the road a fair imitation of "Columbia Basin black ice." In other words, so slick (and at a moment's notice) that it is nearly impossible for a vehicle to gain any purchase on the surface at all. How does this make for better driving conditions?!
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,635
    What deicer are you referring to? Rock salt or something else?

The roads crews here have started using brine prior to snowstorms as a preventative measure but to my non-expert eye it seems utterly useless.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 126,124
    ab348 said:

What deicer are you referring to? Rock salt or something else?

The roads crews here have started using brine prior to snowstorms as a preventative measure but to my non-expert eye it seems utterly useless.

Magnesium or calcium chloride. They spray it down in liquid form.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2018
    Well it sounds “organic”, however various regulatory agencies have a way of finding out later, that the mixtures were FAR more destructive to the environment, than say “salt mixtures”, as if salt is not organic. This “twisted” logic can be highly expensive.This of course requires high dollar $ remediation.

For example, (to make a long story short) on the snow roads leading to Lake Tahoe, CA, the bean counters that be, with regulatory agencies approvals, used (cheaper,) non-indigenous VOLCANIC sand mixtures instead of (slightly more expensive) indigenous sand. Fast forward a few years later, the federal, state, county and local agencies, dropped a little less than $2 billion in remediation due to use of non-indigenous volcanic sand in road mixtures.

If it’s not obvious that it was probably WAY cheaper than a little less than $ 2 billion remediations over whatever saved (per ton) to use a “normal” sand mixture, I got $ 2 billion in lottery tickets I want to sell, knowing I am already going to win.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2016/08/31/obama-burnishes-environmental-legacy-lake-tahoe/89678112/

Well I and many others appreciate the improvements what a gigantic money well I am appreciate the improvements, what a gigantic waste of money.
    I seriously believe someone at various DOTs has a link to whoever sells the chemical. They use it so much now, 10 years ago, one seldom saw it - and I think it was colder then.

I know I posted this before, some years ago, Seattle over-did it with the de-icer, and it made a real mess - if I ended up on the wrong end of this, I'd lawyer up so fast lightning would look slow, and I'd end up with a free house.

edited December 2018
    (Again I’m not so sure of other states, but I’m sure other states are similar to) CA has (/have) filings for anything from construction damage to pot hole shots.

Happy new year to all !
    Yesterday evening I heard a big scrape on the street in front of my place. This morning I look out my window to see the turn prohibited sign in the little median area completely flattened. Metal post, so it did some damage to someone.
    edited January 1
    Got to hate injured traffic street signs ?
    It's still sitting there dead in the median, with a yellow cone to warn people.
    edited January 2
    fintail said:

It's still sitting there dead in the median, with a yellow cone to warn people.

It makes one wonder what the perpetrator of these crimes will tell the insurance company about that sign .

Well, ...there We were ... The sign just jumped out in front. The car didn’t have a chance to stop. 😱

😳🤣👍
    I suspect that's either the kind of thing that someone claims as a hit and run the next morning, or was driving the kind of car where it isn't worth making a claim.
    ruking1 said:

It makes one wonder what the perpetrator of these crimes will tell the insurance company about that sign .

Well, ...there We were ... The sign just jumped out in front. The car didn’t have a chance to stop. 😱

😳🤣👍

edited January 2
    fintail said:

I suspect that's either the kind of thing that someone claims as a hit and run the next morning, or was driving the kind of car where it isn't worth making a claim.

ruking1 said:

😳🤣👍

For sure, you’re a better commentator of the drivers in your neighborhood.

The question looking forward is now: how long will the new sign last IF/WHEN repaired?
    Sign is back up right now, they don't waste time here.

Drivers here are a mixed bag. Many better places out there, many worse.
    ruking1 said:

For sure, you’re a better commentator of the drivers in your neighborhood.

The question looking forward is now: how long will the new sign last IF/WHEN repaired?

Three no-lighters in the dark rain this evening - Lexus RX (of course), Prius (of course), Elantra (not usually as bad).
    I am not even keeping track right now. There are MANY! Surprisingly, many have also been responsive to lighting their vehicles when flashed. I had a pickup in front of me a few days ago that was incredibly stubborn about it even after several flashes, so I finally just turned on the brights and left them there. A short while later the tail lights finally came on and I dropped back down to dim (though clearly not as dim as the other driver!).
    Fresh snow yesterday - a couple inches of dry stuff that was nice and powdery to be kicked up by traffic. So many vehicles without lights and misting in and out of vision like ghosts in the night!

Today, though, two things: One, big white Ford pickup in the left lane of two. I was behind, we passed a few vehicles, then I resumed the right lane because it was more clear of snow. A short while later, the pickup slows down a bit. I was maintaining speed, so I ended up pulling along side. Then, pickup driver decides to move into the right lane. I beeped, he swerved back to his lane, lurched ahead, and abruptly pulled in front of me (no signal of course). Thankfully, he kept speed and moved along until the next light, which had just turned green. I took the left lane prior to getting there, swept through due to no traffic in that lane, and was on my way sans white pickup.

Then, I stopped at Fred Meyer to fill the Q7 (diesel). I used a fuel discount ($0.30 per gal), swiped my card, activated the pump.... and trickle! I could not get the auto lock to engage, plus I had to pull the handle with substantial force to get it to dispense ANY fuel at all, and very slowly at that. I'm talking a minute per gallon slow (literally). At minus ten degrees, and looking at a 21-22 gallon fill, I was not a happy camper. This obviously did not just magically occur, yet no lockout or sign on the pump!

After six tedious gallons, I was fuming and went inside the little attendant's hut. I first informed him of the issue with the pump, to which he replied, "Yeah, we've had a few people who have had problems with it today." At that, I became a little irate and chewed him out regarding my current predicament due to the business' unwillingness to actually do something about it to inform customers. He didn't say a word and avoided even looking at me.

But, I still had a lot of fuel to fill, so I went out and spent another 15 minutes or so wearing out my grip trying to fill that silly thing. To add insult to injury, once I hung up the nozzle and told the machine to print a receipt, it failed to do so. At this point, I was no longer livid and instead just laughing at the complete ludicrousy of the situation. I went back inside, apologized for yelling at him, asked for a receipt, and also asked for a nozzle bag to warn other customers that it was out of order. Since it was cold, he was the only worker, and I was walking past the pump again anyway, I was happy to help out. The guy still never said a word, but he gave me the receipt and the bag.

I put it on the pump handle and was finally on my way. My son, under-dressed as teenagers insist on doing, was sitting in the barely-warming-before-we-arrived car the whole time (and was duly chilled at this point!).

Ah, what a day.
This discussion has been closed.