Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• doc15doc15 Member Posts: 37
    Many posts I see here talk about$ 1000. or $1200.etc over invoice. Are they speaking of the invoice in Edmonds, KBB, Cars.com, or are they referring to the invoice the dealer shows you . The one with the "extras" like advertising fees, local destination fees, built-in holdbacks? There is a difference."Let The Buyer Beware"
  • dandldandl Member Posts: 57
    I too had called Lee's Toyota to check on their prices when we were looking to purchase our loaded Limited (we live in Michigan and there are NO great deals here). The internet team is the place to start and their price quote was fantastic! Really great people to deal with too. However, we ended up buying our car from Midwest Toyota Superstore in Hutchinson, Kansas. I chickened out at the thought of driving my beautiful new car through Manhattan, Hell's Kitchen, Lincoln Tunnel, etc... to get it home. The wide open corn fields of Kansas seemed more appealing to me :blush:
    There are a few old posts about Lee's you might want to do a search for too. Hope this helps.
    Laura
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    You made a wise decision! Have never understood people who will go halfway across the country, or even a few hundred miles) to buy a car. Time when you throw in "time", expense, anxiety, etc that money you think you saved is gone, or neglible. Heck, the thought of driving any car (new or used) in NYC and LI is enough to double my BP...and I grew up on LI! A Midwest boy like yourself wouldn't stand a chance.... :sick:
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ... **How did all this happen you ask? Lucky to be living in Tampa, Fl where a buddy of mine is a used car wholesaler who regularly attends the auto auctions in Tampa and Orlando ....... **

Hmm - interesting, lets hope you got the right car ..... because there isn't a single one that shows in the auction reports - and I'm at the Tampa/Orlando auctions almost as many times as I play golf ..... maybe you got a floater from Louisiana .....?

Terry.
  • pftaylorpftaylor Member Posts: 10
    Rroyce10,
    Let's hope not.

Here are a few data points in my favor:
    The car was auctioned by an east coast Florida dealer - so I seriously doubt it was anywhere near Louisana. Check the October 18th Market Report and it should be listed on that report.

Second, since the VIN's of all Avalons are apparently formatted the same, it showed up on the Manheim report as an XLS and not a Limited. So it might be a simple case of mistaken identity.

Apparently, the car was never been put into service (according to Carfax and my local Toyota service center). Also, the title shows the car was never sold before my purchase. Finally, my guy is a very well respected buyer of cars at that auction and he personally asked a number of potential bidders to "stand down" so that he could buy the car without a horde of competitors. Professional courtesy I suppose.

The Florida dealer initially refused to sell the car for less than $30K but after a few minutes of tense negotiation, they finally accepted the final bid of $28.5K (which didn't hit their reserve of $30K) rather than run it another week.

So by adding all those factors up combined with the fact that I brought it by my dealer yesterday for an infusion of Mobil 1 and a thorough checking out (it recieved a clean bill of health), I am hoping that I am fortunate. I have no squeaks, rattles, pulling to the right, or any hesitation to report either.
  • brown3brown3 Member Posts: 26
    DWC, funny you asked, I just got an '06 Silver Pine Mica XLS with ivory interior and VSC, JBL, wheel locks, door edge guards, mud guards, and floor mats. MSRP 33817, bought for 30990 +TTL. Got the best deal from Champion out south on the Motor Mile. Initial offer was MSRP (!) and when that didn't fly, the saleman came down . . . a bunch. I then sought quotes from all five dealers from San Marcos to Killeen . . . the two most distant lost interest after I indicated I wanted what I wanted, not what they happened to have. Classic came close, actually beating Champion's first offer, so I counteroffered Champion and they came down more, beating Classic by a couple of hundred, and throwing in free oil changes "for life" and a set of AVALON license plate frames.

Charles Maund Toyota wasn't even in the ballpark, being nearly $1000 higher . . . though they DID extend an offer for me to come in for a "special VIP meeting with a SALES MANAGER!" (I told them that since we already agreed on the car, color, and options, and I was paying cash, there was no need for me to make a special trip - he could tell me everything on the phone. And the gal who called me wasn't quite sure of the sales manager's name!) Even after I told them they weren't competitive, they didn't move on price.

When I actually went in to buy the car, the grinning finance manager at Champion offered me a GREAT OPPORTUNITY to buy a super-duper package of tire insurance, extra theft insurance, windshield insurance, extended warranty, paint sealant, fabric and leather protector, etc., all for the piddling price of "only" around $4200!! Being a stubborn sort unable to see a good thing, I declined his kind offer .. . ;)

One more thing . . . ALL the dealers complained about Gulf States Toyota adding on hundreds of $$ of extra charges. For some reason, the on-line "invoice guides" don't show this for Gulf States like they do for Southeastern Toyota.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know how you do on your LTD.
  • lazarouslazarous Member Posts: 28
    I just brought home a new 06, XLS, Avalon. Titanium Mettallic,with graphite interior. No trade, cash. With the following options:JBL, VSC and carpet &trunk mats. I sent internet messages to 5 different dealers, and luckily, the dealer in my home town happened to be the first to answer my message. He offered me as a start, $1300 over invoice, my response was $800 over invoice, and he responded back with $900 over. I called him and accepted the deal. My OTD price was $32,100, and a full free tank of gas. Sale tax is only 2.75% in our city. It took less than one hour to seal the deal. It was the most pleasant experience I ever had in buying cars. The internet manager was honest and to the point, and he never did even suggest to sell me anything else. The dealership is Moultrie Toyota, in Northeast Alabama
  • toyotasalestoyotasales Member Posts: 8
    Hello...the "extra" as you call them represent true cost. due you just think that we click our heels, and the cars show up on the lots for you to buy. We pay for things like destination, and fuel, and advertising funds. You know for all the bad rap salesman get, I get sometimes, the customer has to look in the mirror as well. I would be willing to bet that if I came into your place of business and wanted to pay under what it costs you to produce your product, you would laugh hysterically at me while kicking me out the door.
  • toyotasalestoyotasales Member Posts: 8
    You know there is a reason why all the dealers put you through hoops to get the prices that you got. It is because you are buying a Lexus vehicle in Toyota badging.
  • tampagatortampagator Member Posts: 8
    Trying to purchase a 2006 Toyota Avalon XL. I am wanting three options on the vehicle, 6 CD changer, floor mats, and security system. The MSRP is approximately $28,300.

I was offered $25,000 before Tax, Tags, and Title from one dealership and I received two internet bids of $25,600 and $25,800.

Are these good deals?
  • wannabuyavalonwannabuyavalon Member Posts: 3
    I have got 2 quotes from dealers
    for the XL with mats and 6 CD changer - 25600 (excluding tax,title and tags)
    for the XL with VSC,brake assist, traction control, mats, power sunroof, anti-theft and 6 CD changer ) - 26995
    This is in the northeast.
    Please let me know if the "Price is Right"
  • dwcdwc Member Posts: 6
    brown3, I think I saw your car at Champion last week. It was out back in the make ready department, door was open so I got in a took a look. It was great.

Got a price from Champions internet department and the salesman tried to sell me a extra package for stuff I did not want that added $1781 to the MSRP. I finally got him to understand what I wanted on the car and he got back to me with the window price and said it was as low as he could go. Only after I reminded him that he was contacted through one of the online auto shopping services did he agree to even give me the so called invoice price. He still insisted that I must come in to talk to his sales manager before he could come off of the MSRP. I was so mad that I just hung up on him

I than called a friend of a friend at a out of town dealer and he called me back in about 15 minutes and said he could sell it for 1 1/2% over invoice. I got the LTD in the same colors as yours with VSC, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, NAV, mudguards, wheel locks and 5 piece floor mats. He located the care through Gulf Coast and traded for it and had them add only the items I wanted.
    It will be in in late November.
  • doc15doc15 Member Posts: 37
    "Bad rap salesman get"..........??????? Oh Please, May I suggest the following article to you. It's excellent http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Sorry you had to deal with that particular salesman, he is a nice guy but not the brighest bulb in the pack. Some salesman know how to deal with internet requests and some don't. But instead of hanging up on him you should have asked for his boss to call you instead as you are the customer.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    800.00 over invoice on XL.

Anyone do better?
  • toyavytoyavy Member Posts: 1
    How about $31K + tax, tags, proc fee for a XLS, Navi, VSC and floor mats. If the Edmunds invoice for this car is right, that about invoice or less than invoice from what the dealer says. :)
  • cc123cc123 Member Posts: 5
    What about taxes and registration from buying out of state? I live in Michigan and am looking at purchasing a Ltd. from another state as well.
    Congratulation on your upcoming purchase. What model and who are buying it from?
    It was incredibly simple to buy out of state. We paid no tax, title, or registration fees to the dealer. He gave us a 30 day temporary plate. When I received the "Certificate of Origin" (which is the Kansas equivalent of a title) I took it and the bill of sale to the local Secretary of State office. I applied for the title, registered the car and paid the taxes and registration fees.They issued me my new plate and the Michigan title came in the mail a few weeks later. Make sure you get a 30 day temporary plate as it took a good three weeks to get the Certificate of Origin.
    At our Southeastern Michigan dealers, we could not come close to the kind of deal we got in Hutchinson, Kansas. We saved thousands of dollars, hope you can too!
    Laura
    I'm looking at a 06 Ltd. Phantom Grey/Graphite, VSC, CF, V2, Wl, no NAV. from Fitzgerald Automall in MD.

Got an email reply from the dealer who said they do out of state transactions all the time and that I'd only have to pay $19 for a 60 day temp tag and tire fee + $99 processing fee. Only MI taxes and registration would be added after that. Sounds pretty much like what you described.

Took a look at Travelocity and found regular $79 flights to Dulles. The dealer said he'd meet me at the airport and I could drive home from there (495 miles).

This is much better deal than I've been able to find locally although I haven't been "hard shopping" yet.

I expect to purchase mid to end of November and if I can't find something really close to this deal locally by then, I might just have to jump on a plane. Doesn't really sound like too much of a hassle to save a couple of thousand bucks?
  • cms1528cms1528 Member Posts: 45
    Check out DARCARS.com I bought from them and got a nice deal.
  • philly24philly24 Member Posts: 2
    My 06 Avalon Limited that I ordered close to two months ago finally came into the dealer yesterday. I went and picked it up and i love the car. I got the indigo blue color with graphite interior w/ NAV, remorte starter, spoiler, VSC, Dynamic Laser Control, Carept Floors/Trunk Mats, and Wheel locks...at OTD 37000. The car looks amazing, and the color combination is great.
  • tstrick320tstrick320 Member Posts: 64
    "This is much better deal than I've been able to find locally..."

Could you tell us what price you were quoted at Fitzgerald Automall?

Thx!
  • 06indigoavalon06indigoavalon Member Posts: 28
    That's a great deal!! I paid a few hundred more than that and don't have the remote starter, spoiler or wheel locks. I have the same color combination and it is beautiful!
  • fmayberryfmayberry Member Posts: 33
    At the Fitzgerald Automall web site you can see their "no haggle" prices for Avalons. They hold to that policy, at least in my case.
  • northwestohio1northwestohio1 Member Posts: 8
    Just took delivery of XLS titanium silver with graphite interior, VSC, 6 cd changer, floor mats, remote start and moonroof air deflector. OTD cash price was $33,200 including 7% sales tax. Then got $2200 trade in for 1991 V6 camry with 100,000 miles. Final deal was $31,000 with the trade. Bought from LaRiche Toyota in Findlay, Ohio. Sales people were professional with no hassle and no attempts to sell anything more than we asked for. Couldn't be happier with the buying experience and with the quality of the automobile.
    $32888.00 + TTL and a small doc fee. Deals are plainly posted on the fitzmall web site; you don't have to send an email for a listing. Also a very attentive and polite staff.
  • grafoxgrafox Member Posts: 2
    FYI, I also bought an XLS from Champion. The only options were VSC, mats, mudguards, and wind delflector for sunroof. The pricee was $30,380 + TTL. I was offered this price up front at first contact, I was not told the price would be MSRP or anything like that. It was simple, pleasant, and all by email until delivery.

I was also given the opportunity to purchase the various warranty and appearance packages amounting to about $4000, but said no. There was no pressure. I did ask for a better price for a 7 yr. 100,000 extended warranty, and he dropped it from about $2100 to $1600, but that is still significantly higher than I would pay.

I had also contacted Calvert in San Antonio which was slightly less, but not worth the drive South. Classic was slow to respond, kept sending me form emails, and I fannly dropped them. After I had taken delivery they called asking me if I had bought a car yet. Maund was out in space somewhere. I just assumed they really don't want internet business.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    There is no "Calvert" Toyota dealer in SA - think you mean "Cavender"? Interesting that Maund wouldn't deal - they have by far the best prices on 2006 Camry LEs in SA and Austin - no one can touch them.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    yes Maund does advertise the lowest price on LE camry but they also recently got thier hands slapped for not having any cars availabe at that price, i believe they call that bait and switch?
  • texasred1texasred1 Member Posts: 20
    We are getting ready to buy a 2006 Avalon XLS.
    I am going to contact the Champion Toyota dealer in Austin.
    You said that your experience with them was very pleasant. That sounds good. Could you tell me who sold you the car. That is the person that I would like to talk to.
    Thanks for any information that you can give me. I know that you must be enjoying your new Avalon.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Sorry... We don't allow the exchange of individual dealership employee info in the forums..

Please refer to the "Rules of the Road" on the left side of the page..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mendota99mendota99 Member Posts: 18
    A 2005 model would work perhaps a demo. How would I find such a model? I'm located in central California and could travel to LA.

Thank you.
  • joe369joe369 Member Posts: 61
    If anyone lives in the area, I highly recommend you try Sunrise Toyota in Oakdale. We just bought a 06 XLS over the weekend.

Not only do they have an extremely large selection of virturally every toyota model (except Prius), but the sales tranaction was EXTREMELY pleasant and only took about ten minutes.

There was a never mention of rust proofing or undercoating or any of the other BS by the salesperson. The finance manager asked it once while we were going through our motions

Before Sunrise, we went to Smithtown Toyota. I thought they were rather pleasant while I was still shopping for a car. But boy did they change when we actually set down with them. This one particular sales person actually told us to leave and that he cannot do business with us when I offered him about $500 over invoice....
  • jlopintojlopinto Member Posts: 24
    I'm trying to figure out the pricing difference, if any, on the "full lthr. vs the perf. lthr."

I can see the appearance difference. But why do some colors, like "pine mica" come only in the "perf. lthr." and not the "full lthr.?"

Also, the Sirius sat. description says the installed radio head handles the Sirius. No need for a separate head unit. Is this true for the "factory installed" Sirius?

TIA
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    What is a good price to pay?

800-1000
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Jlopinto, here is my take on your questions....

The perforated leather only comes on the Limited models, as they have both heated and cooled seats. The color of the exterior makes no difference, if it is a Limited then it has perforated leather.

Both XM and Sirius are options now I think; both require a Toyota add-on module if you want the satellite radio. The existing head unit will handle them, but you have to have the module. It can either be factory installed or added on later. Of course, you have to buy the actual Toyota module if you want it integrated with your factory radio head. You can buy it online and have your own local radio shop do the install if you wish.

I have XM, and after only about six weeks feel that I will never have another vehicle without it. Am buying an another unit to add to my home sound system. Satellite radio is a fantastic thing, well worth the $$$ in my opinion.

Mike
    Thanks for the response.

Did not realize that about the "perf. lthr." seats only in the Limited.

I have a Sirius on my Honda now with a separate Panasonic head unit. I wonder if my "module" can be used with the Toyota factory head? Where can one get further info. (other than from dealers)

Thanks again.
  • motorwalamotorwala Member Posts: 1
    Bought a new 06 Limited Avalon with NV, VS, CL, CF for 34K plus Taxes (6%). Sticker was $37705. Dealer in Evansville, IN (Kenny Kent) was extremely helpful, professional and had no no-nonsense over the phone Quote. Took twenty minutes to paper work and out with the car. Will strongly recommend anyone considering a new or pre-owned Toyota to consider this dealership.

Dealer in east end of Louisville, KY (like many others) wanted me to come to showroom to "see and talk". After firm agreement about the price, salesperson brought papers with nearly $800.00 of dealer commisions added to agreed price. Not only did the guy wasted my 45 minutes, but also lost my business as well as trust. Wonder when will these dealers learn that business needs to be done honestly and with trust.I think Edmunds should not list such dealerships in E mail, that use internet simply to try and play old game of wasting a customer's time.
  • jhandaljhandal Member Posts: 4
    Hi i just wanted to know if anybody knew the current money factor on an 06 avalon xl and the current residual on botha 36 month and 39 month lease. THanks
  • tampabobtampabob Member Posts: 12
    I just ordered a Titanium/Graphite Avalon Ltd with floor & trunk mats, sunroof wind deflector, and window tint. MSRP $35,031 OTD (including the outrageous sales tax of 7%) $33,996. The Blizzard Pearl color would have cost an extra $187 plus tax.

I used the internet folks at Kuhn Morgan Toyota in Tampa. The only car buying experience I have ever enjoyed. Completely no hassle. Expect delivery in less than 3 weeks. Also includes a full tank of gas and I'll probably get a few dollars back from the tag transfer fee.

I arranged an e-loan for 60 months at 5.45% The finance guy at Kuhn Morgan thinks he might be able to knock 0.25% off that rate. Either way I'm felling pretty good.
  • fmayberryfmayberry Member Posts: 33
    tampabob - What did you pay for the vehicle before various taxes and title (as they vary greatly across the country)?
    I don't have the specifics with me. From memory I recall a $125 tag fee and $499 dealer fee. I will get you the specifics tonight. Also, the OTD should have been $33,966. My mistake. There have been other posts to this message board about the our Gulf States Toyota overhead ($1000+?). It seemed to me the salesman put down the OTD price and worked backwards to the invoice price. The only fixed fee on the form was the $499 dealer fee.
    Here's what the dealer purchase order looks like:
    Vehicle & Accessory Selling Price: $31,369.93
    Dealer Admin Fee: $ 499.99
    Sales TAx: $ 1,962.20
    License, Title, Tag fee: $ 125.00
    Lemon Law fee: $ 8.89
    Total: $33,966.00

The Kelley Blue Book (KBB.com) has the following info:
    Invoice: $29,757.00
    DEstination Charge: $ 580.00
    Add'l Freight (SE Toyota) $ 55.00
    SE Toyota Admin Charge: $ 585.00
    Floor Mats (invoice) $ 171.60
    Wind Deflector(invoice) $ 107.80
    Window Tint (estimate) $ 199.00
    Total $31,455.40

So I may have caught a slight break if I got the mats & deflector I think I got (2 are listed on KBB.com)

Let me know if this is helpful.
  • rodc2rodc2 Member Posts: 26
    I believe you will find that perforated leather is unique to the "Limited" model. In other words, a "pine mica" limited would come with perforated leather, whereas a "pine mica" XLS would come with solid leather. The perforated leather has to do with the ventilated seats which are only offered on the limited.
    Rod
    I paid $24,990 for an XL Toyota Avalon. Only 3 options. 6 CD Changer, Alarm, and Matts. Ordered the car and it only took 2.5 weeks to arrive. That price included the dealer's destination charge. I only had to pay tax, tag, and title. I think this is a dam good price based on my research and time. I bought it at Kuhn Morgan (Precision) Toyota in Tampa, Florida on Fletcher Avenue.

Thanks,

Tampa Gator
    Any opinions on buying a 6 year 100k warranty with no deductible on the Avalon. In Florida you can only buy it from Southeast Toyota for $1650. I have tried all the same dealerships and it is the same price.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tampa Gator
  • n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    Do a search in the 2005+ forum. Several contributors report buying it for $985 from a Dealer in rural (Greenfield) Massachusetts. You can do the transaction over the telephone.

Yes, it is the same Toyota warranty. Some (who paid a "discount" price of only $1300) were doubtful, so one person posted a scan of the document.
    We just picked up the 7 year 100K zero deductible Toyota Warranty for $985 with a phone call to Midwest Toyota Superstore in Hutchinson, Kansas. We live in Michigan but bought from them for the price and their excellent customer service. You can buy the warranty ANYWHERE so make a few phone calls.
    Hope this helps.
    Laura
    Just purchased the following:

Silver Pine Mica Limited '06
    with:
    VSC
    Brake Assist
    Traction Control
    Mud Gards
    Sirius Sat. Radio ( no head unit, intergrated w/radio)
    Laser Cruise Control
    Nav
    Carpet Mats and trunk
    Toyogard

OTD (Car, Taxes, Title & Doc.s) $36,900
    Central FL. Toyota
  • rodc2rodc2 Member Posts: 26
    I finally got my new Avalon Limited ordered today.
    There are a lot of prices out there; looking at seven dealers in my area, excluding the folks who want MSRP, I found more than $2000 difference in quotes on the same vehicle. Here is the vehicle I requested quotes on:

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited (3554)-----Base MSRP 33815
    Vehicle Stability Control (VS)--------------------650
    Special Color (Blizzard Pearl) (PC)---------------220
    Five Piece Mat Set (CF)---------------------------199
    Destination Charge--------------------------------540
    -------------------------------------Total MSRP 35424
    I will not deal with "invoice" prices here as every dealer seems to have a completely different story (lots of apples and oranges here!!).

The price I paid for the above vehicle was $32024+TTL(all TTL is at actual cost) plus a $35 doc fee, no dealer prep fees or any other fees. After a lot of shopping (mostly by internet), I feel I got a reasonable price for my area.

The dealer purchased from was "Heartland Toyota" of Bremerton, Washington. The purchase was pleasent and painless without the normal "games" I have come to dread.

Now it's just sit back and wait for a "build date" and "simmer" over the 8.7% sales tax we have to pay on everything but groceries in this state. (Ya, Right, No state income tax here!)
    Rod