Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - IV

Comments

• natdmannnatdmann Member Posts: 21
    For really nice mufflers that are stainless try BORLA. I am thinking of getting their "race magnums" really nice sound on the new OHC 4.6 liter Mustang V-8s, not as "tinny" as the Flowmasters.
    I hooked my Quad up to my 22' Chris Craft which weighs in at just over 4000lbs. The 4.7/auto/3:55 equipped Quad hardly broke a sweat. I am REALLLY in love with this TRUCK. It does everything I need plus more.

Has anyone else noticed the "rippled" effect the top of the grill has where it attaches to the hood? Look at the top part of the grill from a hig side angle with good light and see if it looks "rippled or wavy". Mine does so when I have the child seat tethers installed I will have the dealer take a look. Other than that what a joy.
  • zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    Sorry to sound dumb, but do these muffler system modifications affect the warranty?
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    but, as always, the answer isn't simple. DC get very nervous about mods like these because of the potential emissions impact, so the immediate response from DC is - hey that's not under warranty, you made a mod.

However, as long as you limit any modifications to downstream of the emission control equipment they really can't argue that the warranty can be invalidated - upstream of the emission control stuff and you are on your own.
  • 96g1196g11 Member Posts: 88
    Dear sir,
    The easiest way to remove the stock muffler on a quad is to simply cut it out with a sawzall. The muffler is clamped in place and once the clamps are compressed the pipe is dimpled and cannot be pulled out of the muffler without superhuman strengh and since I am not a superhuman well,,,(I had to use an air chizzle to remove the stubs left behind to reuse the muffler). At the price of the flowmaster, about $67.00 I would be able to replace quite a few before reaching the price of borla's stainless unit. Yes the borla's do sound great and will surly last longer I just cannot coin the initial expense.
    Has anyone changed tire size and had the speedo recalabrated? I intend to install 31 or 32 inch tires after a lift kit 4.7L auto 2wd. I have heard that a dealer can reprogram the computer but my dealer (5 star) just looked confused and said (We will look into that)
    I found an item from a company called, oddly enough, Dakota digital. It is a speed generator interface unit. They claim it can be installed in the dakota quad and can be programmed to compensate for just about any tire/gear combination. I bought my quad with the 3.92 differential in anticipation of installing larger tires. www.dakotadigital.com if you want to check them out.
    Is this gonna happen or what? I havent seen any info in awhile. Anyone?????
    Reprogramming the computer is a no brainer - you just have to find someone with one of the many different types of unit that can interface with the onboard computer. Most of these are not model specific - they don't care what you are modifying. If your dealer doesn't know what you mean I'd be worried.

Owner's group - I posted an update a week or so back on the two main Dakota topics (including this one I believe). Bonnie assures me that it is going to happen, and it is going to happen soon, although we missed her latest estimate. One reason for the delay is that she is trying to get the Dakota brand manager from DC to take part.
  • q8740q8740 Member Posts: 12
    Anybody have headers on a 5.9 Dakota R/T

I am thinking about a couple of mods including Headers, tony d intake, and cold air system.

Thanks
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    ...and other modifications.

towcrazwy, towing isn't the only concern with the dual under-the-bumper exhaust. If you have the big wheels and tires, for most aftermarket systems, you'll have to move the spare to the bed. Some exhaust manufacturers will tell you that the single side exit exhaust actually makes more power than the dual setup because air flows better through one larger tube than two smaller tubes. I have a Gibson exhaust; I was accustomed to the louder Flowmasters but my wife thinks this setup is plenty loud...

q8740, I've always had good luck with JBA shorties. Exhaust gasket and bolt problems are known header issues but I've never had any with my JBA's. They also have a mandrel-bent Y-Pipe replacement to match the headers.

My intake is a Kenne Bell. I was impressed with the quality of this setup. I've seen aftermarket intakes that looked as though they were fabricated in my basement and others that looked as though they could've some from the factory. This is one of the better.
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    natdmann / all - I've just received another update from Bonnie on the o/g's and I'm beginning to see a few of Edmunds problems in cranking them out. One in particular we can help with: a very few of the Edmunds crew (Bonnie for one) are having to deal with some serious 'flaming' in just a few topics. Serious enough they have to delete and/or kick some posters off for their (crap) posts/topics. One of which was the 1988 topic I alluded to earlier. The way we can help with this particular problem is by NOT answering the 'flames' and getting a topic to become self perpetuating. These problems eat up an inordinate amount of the Hosts / techs time, which further delays (our) owners group facilitation.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Jack, good point. From now on I will try to fight off my feeble attempts at humor in paying attention and answering these bizarre (to me at least) postings. May I not stray!
    Thank you for the update, and the continuous pursuit of "A page of our own."

Bookitty
  • metallianmetallian Member Posts: 13
    Hey everyone - Is it me or is the armrest compartment extremely tricky to open? Does anyone have a quick fix for this? My wife can't open it at all. Hmmm, maybe I don't want to fix it. Just kidding. Any suggestions? Thanks
    I for one feel this wouldnt be a problem with the Quad owners group. Why you may ask? Just look at any of the MANY posts here in this Quad area and the MANY other Quad links here at Edmunds and they all have one thing in common, NO FLAMING. I guess the Quad has just attracted mature buyers.
    Nat, you comment was right on target regarding the level of the people who "haunt" the Dakota posting. It is not only maturity, but it comprises
    a group that is dedicated to "lending a hand" whenever someone asks for help, or when they feel that someone needs help. It is generally accomplished in a friendly but spirited manner. We
    do have fun, but the aura of respect is always present.

Bookitty
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Wonder what the median age is for "our" group. I've had my AARP card for the last 4 years now.
  • jumpmstrjumpmstr Member Posts: 3
    First, the Quad boards always continue to impress me. Everyone is helpful without the flaming commonly found on the other boards (read the Tundra/Silverado Wars). For that, my thanks. Second, age does not always determine maturity. There are a couple of us "young-uns" out here just trying to do our thing. Although I don't yet own a Quad, I plan on buying one soon. Errr ahh, that's as soon as I find a Dodge dealer who will sell near invoice plus a couple hundred. Here in Hawaii there is VERY limited selection and unresponsive dealers who only negotiate down to $1000 over MSRP from the $4000 over MSRP asking price. With little or no competition capitalism quickly runs amok. ((off the soapbox now)) I'm exploring buying a Quad in Oregon and paying $800 to get it shipped here. Finally, I love the Quad and don't want to settle on a Nissan or a SportTrak. Thanks again and good luck fellow wannabe Quadders. (Yes, we are jealous of all you full-fledged Quadders.)
  • houtslawhoutslaw Member Posts: 23
    Mine wasn't doing it for a while; heard it again last night. But the tranny seems to work great and I'll just monitor it too; if anything changes or we get a dignosis, someone please post. Regards to the list. JOHN HOUTS
  • pttaylorpttaylor Member Posts: 34
    I own a 1998 Dakota 2WD with 15x6 factory steel rims w/235/75R15 rubber. I want to go to a 15x8 split star (Durango style) wheel. Will I have trouble with tire rub? And what size tire is the Max on this wheel? (for the 2wd dakota front suspension) Please e-me as I rarily have time to get to this group. Thank you - PT
  • towcrazy2towcrazy2 Member Posts: 337
    I would agree with jumpmstr regarding the "chronological" maturity of Quad forum contributors. From what I've seen, the distinguishing factor among QC owners & intenders seems to be INTELLIGENCE.
    is measured not in years, but in experience and approach. Make of that what you will - you would all be surprised if you knew my age!!

I agree that the 'flames' aren't / won't be a problem in the Dakota groups. However Bonnie and her colleagues are kept more than busy with some of the other areas - an in particular over the last week or so there have been some extremely bizarre postings.

I am all in favour of us having some fun here (just look at the wife in truck bed chat in one of the other Dakota topics), but the bottom line is we are here to help one another out - if we play fair, then Edmunds plays fair with us - indeed it was Bonnie who suggested that she include a 'Meet the Members' section in the club for a little background on everyone.

One other thing that is noticeable about the Dakota topics is the number of long termers. Many people come here post for a while whilst waiting for their truck and then go when it arrives - Dakota seems different. Sure a lot of you guys weren't around before the Quads, but look at all of the happy Quadders who are still here to help the waiters and newbies.

I have been here for quite a while and have heard most of the questions before, but every day I learn something from the people here - even if it is only the fact that I have a greige headliner.
    I read once a profound definition of maturity; "Maturity means, enough."

Bookitty
    If we weren't pleased with our purchase decisions, I doubt whether we'd all still be here. But it seems that the Quad is just such a satisfying and "friendly" truck, its "attitude" seems to rub off on posters here!

Not that I don't have a mean streak in me... I mean, I'm still looking for one of those decals... Where Charlie Brown is urinating on a Yugo logo.

All seriousness aside... I'm planning to schlepp on the body side moldings this afternoon... Will post if any problems crop up.
  • profxtjbprofxtjb Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to decide whether to purchase a Dodge
    Dakota in the club cab version or perhaps another
    vehicle. I have one crucial question which I hope
    someone can answer well: Can one use a child safety
    seat in the little bench seat in back? We have one
    right now that I tried at the dealership, but its
    base was too large; the bench seat is about 12
    inches deep, according to my measurements. I have
    gone out and measured other child safety seats but
    I would like to hear from someone that has used one
    in the center rear. RSVP
  • njt15njt15 Member Posts: 20
    The kit number is 17278 and it cost me $250 = about $25 in shipping. It is a single 3" and exits in the same place as the oem plumbing. It was pretty easy to install. The most difficult part was removal of the old muffler and tail pipe. I believe that your truck is less than 90 days old so sawing will not be necessary. I too dedided to preserve the original parts in case I wanted to reinstall them. I would recommend that you put penetrating oil on all of the clamp nuts at you next oil change to ensure that they are easy to free. It will be helpful to have two guys to twist the old pipes free. Also, it is easier to place your jack stands under the frame in front of then rear wheels and let the differential hang down. This will allow you to pull the loosened muffler and tail pipe forward in front of the axle. Please be aware that the clamps from the factory are very tight and may have creased or crimped the pipe for the purpose of sealing.

I would recommend the kit if you are looking for perfomance as well as sound because the tail pipe is 3" in diamater and the tail pipe is mandrel bent. FYI-- the 3" pipe is 20% larger that the factory 2.5". The mandrel bending provides better flow for two major reasons: 1) the curves are less severe and 2) at the bends, the pipe maintains its 3" diaiameter. The oem tubes shrink to less than 2" at a bend! The kit is aluminized and should ber rust resistant. The stainless kits run at least $500.
    I think an owners group would be great. I would like more info. This group seems to be respectful and helpful.

What is flaming? Is it verbally criticizing other posts? If so, we do not need it here.
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    When I received my Gibson exhaust, I had every intention of installing it in the garage. I got the truck up on the jacks and started running into over-tightened and weathered fittings you mention. Without the aid of better tools, I thought it may taken a little more effort and time than I had available. I called the local mechanic just down the street to see what he wanted to do the job. He installed it for $30. For that kind of money, it wasn't worth scraped knuckles and several hours of vulgarities. For others considering this upgrade, the low-volume independent mechanic is quick, happy to get the work and inexpensive.

The 3" exhaust is actually 43% larger than the 2.5" setup. The real key to mandrel bending isn't the severity of the curves but the lack of crinkles on the inside of the bend. Without the crinkles, the airflow is less turbulent.
    How does thw Gibson system sound? Do you have the Single or Dual exit?
    As mentioned in the other topic where this was posted, I wouldn't think that it would be a great idea - not that I have much experience (and long may that continue).

Dodge will install no charge child seat anchors - see yourlocal dealer, but the club cab has the passenger side airbag switch specifically for rear facing child seats in the front seat.
  • resqmanresqman Member Posts: 71
    Well I have been looking and lusting after the Quad for 5 months. Took the plunge last night.

Flame Red, two-tone paint, SLT, bucket seat, 4.7, multi-speed auto, 3.55, tow package, HD service group, tire & handling, limited slip differential, power everything, overhead console, sliding window, AM/FM/CD/Cassette/Equalizer, fog lights, bodyside molding, leather wheel. Bought it off the lot. Used the Farm Bureau discount. Thanks for that $500 tip!!

Man on man. Going back to the dealer today to order the fender flares. Its soooooo nice to have a dependable ride and so good looking to boot. I understand the problem all ya'll are having with the heavy foot. Fortunately the dealer filled it up before I drove off the lot. Just got to figure out how to have him fill it up everytime it needs gas.
    Prediction #1: After a couple of days, you'll get used to the power, and start noticing the steering preciseness and flat handling.

Prediction #2: If you've ever had a pickup before, you'll wonder how you ever got along without those four full doors.

Prediction #3: You'll find yourself lavishing a bit more attention on the the Quad than you have with vehicles in the past.

Congrats! Enjoy!
  • quark99quark99 Member Posts: 136
    You'll start hoping that the guy/gal next to you in the Silverado, F-?50, Frontier, Tacoma, Tundra, or any GM truck will try to assert superiority, so you can educate him/her with a simple stab of the accelerator pedal.
    NJ, thank you for the information on the Flowmaster product. I appreciate your response.

Resqman, congratulations and the best of luck. Sounds like a beautiful well equipped truck.

Bookitty
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    I believe it's childish, uneducated, teen-age-like drivel to seriously want to race a pickup truck against someone at a stop light or a stop sign or whatever. Don't you want to fit in with society today? What with everyone labeling or suing everyone else for something or other, don't you want to 'fit in' with the rest of the world? Don't you care about the trees or little blades of grass that we as the 'superior' species have been violating with our greenhouse gas emitting / noxious spuming of spent hydrocarbons by our trucks and suv's, intent on ruining the ozone layer and sending the planet back to the ice ages? Have you no shame?! Don't you believe algore?

Naaahhhh... I didn't think so - neither do I, let us know who you 'whip' first. ;-)
  • jkinsleyjkinsley Member Posts: 20
    Age and treachery will triumph over youth and innocence every time.
    100%.

Trucks are for working, not racing.

Course he drives Porsches and I drive a 150mph+ Jag, so that helps.

But one little tip if you really want to pound everything else on the road - put a badge on the back of your truck. No seriously.

Now I know that some of you will be sceptical (and the Americans will be skeptical) because it doesn't seem to work for the Honda Civics at every corner, but you just have to use the right badge.

I know this to be true because I have the right badge on the back of my Jag.

It says V12..............
    Andy, we drink V-8 and enjoy it. Is V-12 the Canadian version of V-8 vegetable juice?

Bookitty
  • ozarkozark Member Posts: 124
    that's funny. I don't race much anymore. Not sure if it is wisdom or fear but it sure is not political correctness....Andy we still appreciate you and glad your are working on the owners group and hope you tolerate the barbarians to the south.
  • tgr1tgr1 Member Posts: 92
    This is my first post in several months, and looks like I have a lot of reading to catch up. My QC now has almost 10000 miles. Mileage averages about 14.5 around town, but its been dropping below 14 lately. Because of the heat, I tend to sit in the car while idling, with a/c on of course. Not one single problem to report yet, but got my first dent the other day: I missed the bed from about 15 feet away with a paint bucket. Oh well, it is a truck. As for exhaust "upgrades", remember two things: 1-this truck already has a good system (all stainless and I assume well tuned). 2-going to 3" may increase your power by a few %, but it will probably hurt the torque. My advice is to stay stock, unless you want the "sound", or the "look" of larger or chromed pipes.
    As for stoplights, the only other trucks to avoid are Lightnings, older Syclones (Cyclones?), and maybe the occasional R/T. Remember, don't do this at home, and you must be 21 or older. Void where prohibited, which is just about everywhere!
    You make a valid point regarding aftermarket exhaust systems! If back pressure is reduced via larger pipes and free-flow, you'd better have the "front end" set up to pump more fuel/air into the motor... Otherwise, you may pick up a few horsepower at the high end at the expense of significant losses in low-end torque... That's fine if you're always "on the cam," but how many of us REALLY drive like that day-to-day!?
    I agree that a little "spirited driving" is great. Just don't let these little powerhouses we have intoxicate you. Part of my duties involves putting street racers in jail. The problem is rarely us middle agers but sometimes I run into a few. Most of our "problem" racers are 17 year olds that put a "pipe" on mom's accord, lower it 2 inches and call it a racer! I have clocked some of these kids running through traffic at 90-100 mph in a 40 mph zone. I once clocked a honda civic station wagon at 143 mph in a 50 mph zone approaching an intersection! It was a full race car. Please guys, play hard and have fun but let's make sure we lead a responsible example. Besides, a Dakota is too fine a thing to destroy when some dim wit pulles out in front of you.
    Please don't anyone be offended by this, for I am not criticizing, just planting a friendly reminder! Be safe and DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE, not ever, not even once.....PLEASE!
    Your point is well taken! I think that those of us "motorheads" who've survived this long probably have a healthy respect for careful street driving... It is, after all, a jungle out there!

At 50, I still enjoy my "toys" (QC included)... But recognize its potential as a lethal weapon as well. Your perspectives on speeding, intoxication, etc. are valuable! My perspectives occurred in a different, but equally profound way... Working as a newspaper reporter/photographer in my 20s... Being awakened in the middle of the night to cover multiple fatality collisions, usually involving teenagers... A senseless waste of lives to be sure!

Nonetheless... The quad just happens to be one of those vehicles that makes a great big boy's toy! Lot's of fun to play with under sensible legal parameters!
    Certainly a little more juice than V-8, not sure that it is vegetable though.

96g11, I never, ever drive over 100km/h.

Honest
    Your posting makes several good points. I sometimes grow impatient driving behind the stars of "Night of the Living Dead" and have to remind myself (or be reminded by "you know who") that it is not the end of the world and we will arrive at our destination a bit later, but we will at least arrive. One of the best features of speed or cruise control is that the vehicle is kept at a preset speed and there is not the tendency to go faster than one thought, common in powerful good riding vehicles such as Dakotas with V-8 engines. My dad was a police officer for 42 years in Philadelphia, and as such saw a lot more grief and trauma than he had ever desired. Thank you 96g11 for your kind and caring input.

Andy, your quick response leads me to believe that you reside in the "Province of Denial."

Bookitty
    I deny that
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    I never drive over 100mph either.
  • dakotahelldakotahell Member Posts: 6
    On April Fools Day 2000 (no kidding) I purchased a 98 Dodge Dakota Sport with 29000 miles that included the original as well as a transferable extended warranty. I was happy with it for about a month and then.........

The automatic shift lever comes off in my wifes hand as she is putting it in gear to back out of the driveway. No big deal. It is covered and they put a new one on.

Appointment 1: The shift lever is fixed.

Then one morning a week or so later I shift in reverse to back out of the driveway and was greeted with a tremendous "CLUNK" coming from the drivetrain. This clunk is present nearly every time I shift in reverse from this point forward. A few days later, upon engaging reverse to back out of the driveway what do I hear to accompany the clunk, but a really obnoxious buzzing noise that lasts until it is shifted out of reverse. Schedule an appointment.

Before the day of my appointment, I turn the key over one morning and woe is me, the fuel pump starts making a hideous whine. Oh wonderful, my confidence in this POS is hitting overdrive now. I call and add this to the list of problems they need to address.

The night before my appointment I figure I better give the Dakota a once over just to make sure I have not missed something. Hmmmm, a slight antifreeze leak near the thermostat. That wasn't there when I bought it, oh well, I will add it to my appointment.

Appointment 2: They only fix the antifreeze leak and order parts for the tranny buzz and tell me the fuel pump is OK. When I pick it up, I take the service manager by the hand and have him listen to the fuel pump. He finally agrees there is a problem with the fuel pump and says the clunking noise in the tranny will be fixed with the parts they ordered for the buzzing noise. Reschedule.

Appointment 3: They fix the fuel pump and buzzing noise (so far, anyway) and tell me the clunking noise is natural and all 98 Dakotas will do it to some degree. After bickering with the service manager again he agrees to call DC and talk to the engineers about it. Reschedule.

Appointment 4: They replace most of the parts in the differential. It still clunks. I am losing my patience. They call the engineer again. Reschedule.

Appointment 5: They go back into the tranny, replace the valve body, service writer says it is fixed. I go to pick it up, slide er in reverse (CLUNK!!!!) I am pissed, I wanna kill. I decide it is prudent to drive home to avoid a heated battle with anyone connected to this organization (this is a 5 star dealership by the way) confrontation and decide it.

I show up the next morning to discuss this with the GM. He is out, how convenient. I talk to some manager and the shop foreman. They tell me the clunking noise and slop in the drivetrain is natural and will not take the vehicle back for that problem.

I call Chrysler and get a file number......what a joke that process is; they side with the dealership.

I take the Dakota to two transmission shops, one drivetrain shop and one general mechanics shop that afternoon. 5 different mechanics from these 4 shops look at it and all agree that there is excessive slop and clunking in the drivetrain.

I call the dealership. They don't care what anyone else says. "We will not take it back for that problem again." I call DC customer service center, they back the dealer's position. Loud clunking and excessive slop is natural in the drivetrain of a 1998 Dodge Dakota.

What do I do now?
  • makeitritemakeitrite Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new Dakota (5-speed)less than a month ago. From day one there was a loud clunking, metal-banging-against-metal noise in the vicinity of the transmission when I shifted from 1st into 2nd. The dealer's service department first told me what I heard was normal hydraulic clutch sounds. I have owned five different manual transmission equipped vehicles over the past 25+ years. NONE of these ever made a sound similar to what I am hearing. I took the mechanic for a ride, and he also drove the truck. When he heard the sound first-hand, he said it was probably coming from the drive shaft, and probably had something to do with the fact that the Dakota's drive shaft is in two pieces.
    "Just a normal noise, and nothing can be done about it.", said this mechanic.
    "NOT a normal noise, and something WILL be done about it," said I.
    Has anyone had any similar problem, and if so, how was it corrected?
    Thank you all!! I must say that I enjoy the conversation of fellow "gear heads", especially Dakota owners. I feel the need to share. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I do not want to be confused with a "boy racer". (Not that there is any thing wrong with that if it is done sensibly. However, what 96g11 described is wrong-- 143 in a Honda wagon. I despise that, when it happens in my neighborhood. Usually because I am a pedestrian walking my Labrador.)

I am 33. In purchasing my Dakota Club Cab, I had to balance my improved financial my means to get a sport car with the common sense of an adult on the verge of becoming a father for the first time. I am a Mopar guy, born and raised, for better or worse. Fairly blind loyalty if you will, (yes--it has bitten me in the a**). My dad has a few antiques, a '51 New Yorker Club Coupe and a '56 300 B. Both have Hemi's, the whale motor. Anyway, I wanted something with power and a manual. I heard a lot about a stick with pipes growing up (dad is stuck in the 50's), been to many car shows, auto races,(drag and circle track), and even a few bone yards. My last car was a '94 LeBaron conv, 3.0 l; therefore, I can clearly empathise with Dakotahell. My transmission was repaired as many times as I have fingers on one hand, which,was not under warranty. I checked out the Mustang. Camaro, VW GTI, Honda Prelude, Civic SI, Neon, BMW. I was very close on the GTI and Mustang, but I did not want to be disinherited! Also, the Mustang is a 1 person vehicle. The Dakota, condidering price, financing and insurance cost, will save me about $7,000 over the next 4 years. It is my sports car. I enjoy the accelleration and the rumble of the Flowmaster, especially in second when I back off under an overpass. All of you have to admit that if you bought your truck solely for its utility, the 3.9 is adequate. You all like to accelerate, that is why you bought the 4.7 or 5.9. The Dakota also lends it self to a few more home repairs that the others. I work in an office, but I really enjoy workin on the car. It allows me to work with my hands. (I probably chose the wrong career.) Thanks for listening.

Dkotahell, remember, unfortunately, your Dakota was built by a company that is attempting to gain market share by offering a less expensive product. To do this, many of the components were built by the lowest bidder. Considering the mileage and the used purchase, the items are maintenance issues. I agree that they are occurring 5,000-n 7,000 miles too soon. However, Consider the following, 1) how much do you like the vehicle, not considering the maintenance? 2) how much did you pay? Remember, you have no idea how the vehicle was treated or maintained prior to your purchase. Also consider that the maintenance schedule on an American car is the minimum recommended, as the manufacture generates huge revenue selling parts and service. If we maintain our Dakota's like, say a BMW, the will also go 200,000 miles.

96g11 - thanks for the insight. I am a responsible driver. I enjoy the torque & h.p. of my 4.7l right up to the speed limit. I work in insurance claims and see the after affects like you. I would say the main cause of collisions is that drivers are not paying attention to driving.

I will likely look into a driving school, SCCA club race or go to the drag strip to satisfy the need to go fast. If there is going to be a Dakota owners Club, is there any interest in auto cross? I ask because in SCCA, you have to compete with the camaros and Trans Am's. Don't get me wrong, like to compete, but it isn't a fair fight.
    To help minimize this, I went with a K & N. They are about $40 and last a lifetime. There may be something to the diminished low end torque. My friend has a stock 4.7 and thinks his is faster, he drove mine-- we didn't race. Unfortunately, I do not think he is pulling my chain, but I still have to drive his.

Decidedly, however, mine sounds much better!

Mopar Performance now makes a chip for the 4.7 Dakota. It is $329. Does anyone have any experience with the chip. I know how they are supposed to work and what they are supposed to do, but are the increases noticeable and, frankly, worth the $$? Thanks. Sorry, I am soo chatty. Too much coffee and a pregnant wife.
  • bigal31bigal31 Member Posts: 189
    I don't know alot about the performance chips,but I do know you will need to use at least 92-93 octane.Is it worth the x-tra $$? Maybe maybe not.You'll have to decide..
    My .02$
    Allen-
This discussion has been closed.