Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada Maintenance and Repair

dean25dean25 Member Posts: 2
I have a 2006 Armada with 12,000 miles. I have owned it for a few months and over the last couple months there has been a squeaking/grinding sound that is coming from the front end suspension. I believe it is suspension related because the only time it squeaks and grinds is when the vehicle passes over a dip in the road...when the compression occurs as the suspension reacts to the dip in the road the noise is produced. Anyone out there with a similar experience and/or some advice?

Comments

• scott174scott174 Member Posts: 74
    Isnt this one long over due?????????
    To be worked out. My Dealer is stumped at the fact that I'm im in there so much. I have been in there over 17 times since December!! The problems persist. Those problems that are still not corrected are:
    1. Roof TSB done twice, NOT fixed
    2. Rear axle Pop/Click 5 times.
    3. Engine pinging noise under passenger foot well.
    4. Brake squeal, warped rotors etc 5 times
    5. Misc rattles ALL over the interior.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think problems have mostly been discussed in the main Armada board and one or two in the Nissan Pathfinder Owners: Problems & Solutions one (it's a bit confusing since Nissan dropped the Pathfinder Armada designation).

Steve, Host
  • bsmoothbsmooth Member Posts: 9
    What is the deal with the roof tsb? I have been hearing a lot about it. I am in the process of purchasing an LE fully loaded 4x4 Armada, can I expect the same???
  • 514329514329 Member Posts: 60
    the rattles that you hear inside might be those plastics (those that prevent water from going inside)on each doors in between the door and door trim and some wiring harness that vibrates against the door itself.
    I had the Roof TSB done twice, and my Armada still has the same issues on the freeway!! According to the Dealer, "I'm the only one". I'm waiting for the area manager to get back from vacation. Will your Armada have this issue? I cannot answer that, I can say that you should wait for the 05 models, be sure to check the last 5 digits of the VIN. My Armada was 13666, so it's an early one. I should have ran from those last three digits I guess. From the problems I experience, maybe they allow drinking in the plant.
  • qs_worldqs_world Member Posts: 1
    My Driver side window has broken twice in 6000 miles/7 months of ownership. Both times the window was down completely, and when the window was being put up, it would just stop about 1/3 of the way up and then stop and fall down a couple of inches and not move.

The first time they repaired it, they said it was a bad regulator. I said Ok thats possible, but the second time they said it was a porton of the track assembly, that needed repair. Personally I think it's a lie, and I'm not happy. But at the same time if thats the worst that goes wrong...

Anyone else experience anything similar????
    I didn't want to buy it this year, knowing that first production year is always a bit of a headache, but the wife was pushing for it. You see who won that struggle.
  • galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    I had the brake problems and was fixed by the TSB. After 5000k miles they are beginning to pulsate again, which means warped rotors are begginning to happen, again. I will wait for another couple of thousand miles and see. If it gets worse, the lemon law will be pursued. Nissan may have a design/reliability problem with the brake system that they can't fix. We'll see.

Tires, the second and the most annoying issue. Continental ContiCrap tires. This is my forth tire that will be replaced. These tires wear prematurely and treads are beggining to come of of one. Off course the tire dealer won't honor the warranty nor will Continental. Another law suit coming.
  • whambinowhambino Member Posts: 8
    We are having the same brake problems also-New rotors,pads,etc installed. We are at only 3000 miles after it was to be rectified and it is pulsating again, and the brakes are squeeling when applied like there was nothing put on back of the pads to stop that annoying noise. My neighbors kid can make his 12 yr old car sound the same as my new Armada when using the brakes. One good thing though-all my friends either get out of my way from the noise they hear or because I'm letting everyone know about this problem-It will be 4x's that it's been in. Now we have Nissan Corp. involved, and the dealer say's that they don't have any loaner cars anymore. I'll never buy Nissan again, and I'm letting everyone know about the terrible service department at the dealer.
  • armadabyrarmadabyr Member Posts: 2
    Have Le, Tan leather seats create lovely pain in lower back, they also are cracking at seams(driver side(I must be sitting too much)),Faint squeaks in back, Fr Brakes toast at 15k,(warranty), rplaced tranny at 6k (waited 3 weeks), Conti's useless after 17k (only other option Wrang SRA(hvnt hrd gd things bout em)),
    burning smell every once in a while, heat misses toes (you'll see when it's -5 :<), Great truck otherwise, dealer fixes everything. Rotors too small for truck like this.
  • azfunazfun Member Posts: 8
    My driver's side window rattles alot when it is down. It hasn't broken yet, but sometimes when I try to roll it up, it won't move. After about 2 minutes, then it goes back up. Dealer advised track assembly as well and was fixed. Still doing the same thing. SE 4x4, bought 12/03, 22K mi.
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    Mine does the same thing, but intermittently... Brought it in and it did it the first time for the service writer, but the tech sent it back saying he couldn't duplicate it....
  • handsfull4handsfull4 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04, purchased in Feb. We are going in for the 2nd time on the brakes and I'm pretty sure the rotors will need replacing again. Also, I have had both front windows fixed, they stopped going up. We have also had an annoying undercarriage rattle and the top rattles like crazy. I am wondering if anyone has heard any response from NISSAN regarding these problems, especially the brakes. The service advisor at my dealership said that the rotors are not designed correctly and so they warp. It is frustrating.
  • suvfunsuvfun Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my Armada back in Nov. '03. My rotors were turned at 8500 mi. I also had to have all four Goodyear Wrangler tires replaced due to cupping on the inside. The dealer told me that this was caused by improper alignment and it is now corrected. I was also told that the brake pads had been upgraded. I just had the new tires replaced this past weekend so I am going to keep a close eye on them. I am extremely concerned about the brakes and the tires. I have heard several stories about brake and tire problems from other owners. I also have had to have the hardware replace in the overhead console. FUN!!!!
  • tt30tt30 Member Posts: 31
    SUVFUN,

What's the overall quality and your opinion about your Armada since you drive it for one year? Were there any other issues with Armada?
  • kidsddskidsdds Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone had issues with the number of gallons that you can actually put into the tank? I was told by the service guy to wait until the low fuel light came on and fill it up. He told me that there should be about 2.5 gallons left in the tank. I was only able to put almost 21 gallons in. The next tank, I let the gauge go below E and was only able to put 22 gallons in. Has anyone been able to put close to the 28 gallon capacity in their tank?
  • suvfunsuvfun Member Posts: 2
    As far as the way the Armada drives and handles, it has been smooth sailing. I have also been very pleased with the interior space. I am just mainly concerned about the tires and the brakes. I not only have had to have new tires, but have also had the brake rotors turned at 8500 mi. I have not had the new tires looked at since I had the new ones put on. I have also had several parts replaced on the interior, but no engine problems so far. I will be having the new tires checked out soon and will keep you posted!
  • mikepmanmikepman Member Posts: 5
    Needed the rotors and brake fix at 3k but still love the vehicle. How can I tell the date when my Armada was manufactured?
    Look at the tag near the drivers door post. It will be on a yellow VIN sticker, just below the latch. You can get a specific date by looking in front of your grille on the sticker located on the AC condenser. Also, many Armadas have the build sheet in the drivers seat map pocket. Last attempt would be asking the service Dept to check the computer.
  • tommckaytommckay Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new 05 4x4 LE fully loaded. The fuel gauge is stuck above the "F" 90% of the time.

Anyone have a fuel gauge problem?
    Besides my fuel capacity problems. I have started to have problems with the fuel gauge sticking at Full when it only has a half tank. When driving it will suddenly go from a half a tank to full and stay there for hours.

The service department is starting to get rude with me concerning my fuel tank issues.

What have they told you concerning your problems?
    I just got back from the dealer a little while ago. They finally did some test on my gas tank and found that there was actually a problem. They are ordering a fuel delivery mechanism or sensor... not sure exactly what it is, but it is in the gas tank. I'm shocked that they finally admitted that there was a problem instead of continuing to tell me that it was within specs.
  • dawg23dawg23 Member Posts: 9
    Anybody have a problem with the finish and/or labels wearing off on the steering wheel controls for the radio and cruise control ??

My dealer has replaced the plastic "switch covers" due to flaking/disappearing surface finish. Now the replacement covers are doing the same thing.(the switch covers have a sort of metalflake finish that is being rubbed off and now there is black "primer" visible).

I know my hands aren't greasy or oily (I work in an office all day) and I've never had this on my Tahoes, wife's Lexus, cell phone buttons or anything else. Dealer is getting pretty snotty about replacing the covers again - says I must have have been "scratching them with my keys".

Help !
  • tt30tt30 Member Posts: 31
    I have a one-foot crack on my 2004 Armada windshield. Any suggestions on the best place to replace it? Nissan dealers do not do replacements here in MN

Thanks!!
  • suzy0418suzy0418 Member Posts: 11
    On the side of the door
  • bsmoothbsmooth Member Posts: 9
    I bought an '04 LE Armada back in August of last year. I have about 7,500 miles on the truck. As I have not had problems with brakes, roof or other noises I have had problems with the automatic windows on both driver and passenger side. Since the Armada does not fit in my garage with the side mirrors extended I have to pull them. Seems like everytime I pull the mirrors in I have a problem. Brought it to Nissan and believe it or not they were able to duplicate the problem. Ordered and installed new motor, while in for service they noticed the passenger side is doing the same. When I went to pick it up they told me the second motor was ordered. Finally good service from my dealership.
  • lbk2228lbk2228 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same thing fixed last week on my '04 Armada. Only had a problem on the steering wheel right around the controls for radio,etc. I did nothing for mine to scratch off, so I'm sure it's just defective!!

Can't tell you how many other problems I've had, though. I'm dealing with Nissan directly now after 10 service trips in a year!!
  • jmsullyjmsully Member Posts: 1
    Good luck if you are having brake problems. I've got about 15K on mine. I had the rotors turned at 3K, totally replaced at 6k, turned again at 9k, totally replaced at 12K and guess what it is starting to pulsate again. I had my sun roof interior cover assembly replaced because of rattles and my gas gauge never registers full. I also have assorted rattles and squeaks. I wish it was as solid as it looks. The crazy thing is I still enjoy the vehicle. I guess I hate admitting a mistake.
  • aramosaramos Member Posts: 1
    What is TSB? I get a popping noise when my sun roof is in the popped position, do you get that? I have also had my brake replaced once, about to have it done again. My window also has trouble going back up. I have to click the auto a few times before it goes up.
    TSB= Technical service bulletin
  • robertrobert Member Posts: 14
    I have an '05 QX56 and had that exact same problem, but it stuck on "F" and stayed there. Infiniti repaired it without problems. Told me there's a fuel "float" or something or other which was supposed to have a 90 degree bend in it so it wouldn't stick, but it wasn't bent. they repaired and it's fine now. Only problem I've had and it wasn't major, just used my trip meter to track mileage and never pushed the gas/mileage limits until I could get it in (my choice to wait a few days as the boat was in the shop and I needed to get it home first).
  • cochrancochran Member Posts: 1
    I too have had the same problem. The dealer happily replaced the pieces along with the control switches as a unit. The on off button for the radio didn't work on the new pieces so the dealer replaced them again. During the second replacement the surface finish was scratched by the dealer so they pulled just a trim piece and replaced it. This piece is not defect free, but at least it has the finish intact at least for now. My Armada has only 10,000 miles on it. I can't imagine why a vehicle manufacturer would cut corners on an item such as steering wheel trim.
    Other problems that I have had include a defect hole in the right front half shaft boot that required replacement of the entire right axle assembly, and shuttering front brakes that required the installation of a special repair kit that Nissan has come up with.
    All of the items were warranty covered items and the work was cheerfully done by my local dealer's service department. I am unused to having to be bothered with these kinds of problems since our other vehicle is a 2000 Honda CRV; we traded a 2001 Toyota Sienna in on the Armada.
    Overall, I appreciate the performance and style of the Armada, but so far it can't favorably compare to what I have experienced with Honda and Toyota products.
  • carfan3carfan3 Member Posts: 27
    Hey everyone. I am in the market for a new car. My choices are Nissan Armada, Inifiniti QX56, and BMW 545i. All cars loaded. I am leaning towards the Armada and QX. I got one dealer to get the price of the 2005 QX down to $50997 (LOADED). I test drove the 545i yesterday, and it was beautiful. I did not want to get out of the car. Problem is, the 545i is very expensive to purchase (more than $60,000, not including taxes, tags,...etc). Lease is not an option for me, only purchase. I am not basing the car on gas prices, or family. Just looks, comfort, ride, quality and hapinness. This will be my first, new car. and i want it to be perfect. i have a lumina 1990=hate it, KIA Sportage 1997=hate it, and Nissan Sentra=like it but not mine, family member's. I want to purchase the car in less than a month. But reading all these problems about the Armada and QX is depressing me, and pulling me out of the market for purchasing any car. I didn't see much complaints on the BMW, but it is VERY PRICEY. Help me out my people. what should i do? the Infiniti dealer sold me the car and the price (but i didn't buy it yet), while the Armada dealer sold me the price, but not the car. The BMW dealer said: "we don't have much discounts and rebates to give". I think it is ridiculous, even for a high class car like this. I was going after a Benz, but stopped that desicion as i will need to sell everything to get that. Ok, PLEASE HELP. Are the 2005 Armada and QX56 better than the 2004? and Should i go with these cars now, or wait till the brake problem is fixed in March (if that is the correct month when the solution will come out)? If i end up waiting, and june comes along, than i will wait till January 2006 to buy a car since new year models come out in September.
    HELP SOON PLEASE.
  • soldaustinsoldaustin Member Posts: 91
    Here is advice from someone who has had many problems. Run from the Armada, quickly! The 2004 models are loaded with problems. The brakes have not had a fix yet. Mine have been replaced 3 times now and looks like a forth soon. Mine has 18,500 miles on it. Tires wore out quickly. (out of alignment from the factory) I had the roof noise fix. Lots of people said it wasn't on their vehicle but I talked to the factory and it was on every vehicle!!! (at the time I talked to them) Just some don't pay attention to it. I am not sure but think feb of 2004 is when they started to address is from the factory. However you will see people here praise it and say that theirs didn't have the problem. Well when mine was fixed, it made all the difference. At least that part is fixed. I really can't imagine why they haven't fixed the brakes totally. I am also unsure that the brakes are going out on their own. Some hidden problem? My friend bought his in jan 2004. He just had his brakes checked at 30,000 miles because he heard grinding. (been doing heavy towing with no trailer brakes!) The dealer said he has 50-60 percent brakes left and no problem. Mine was bought at the end of Nov 2003. You name it on the list at nissanhelp.com of problems and it has them all. Anyway, until recently my faith in the service department at Nissan was bad. It is getting better. It is amazing what moving to a different dealership can do. The first one jerked me around for over 1 year and didn't fix anything at all. Sorry for the long message but read this board. Start at the beginning. You will see a pattern. Remember if a lot of people are having the same problems and Nissan puts out service bulletins of them, then it is a good bet that more people have the problems but arent' sensitive to them. Is Infinity better? Same vehicle but maybe you might get better service. BMW is going to be expensive and you are not going to recoup near what you spend but if you enjoy it, then that means a lot. I don't know what I would buy if I looked again. I do think the Armada is the best looking vehicle out there right now and the price is the best.
  • armadabrakesarmadabrakes Member Posts: 2
    YES!

I just remembered this after reading your email. I forgot to tell them when we were getting it serviced. We filled up when we were about to 1/4 of a tank and the gauge never showed that we filled up until a few days later.
  • spiritdfspiritdf Member Posts: 2
    Cochran,

I purchased a late 2004 LE 4x4 Armada(last on the lot-For a great deal under invoice), and have put over 5K on it since Late December. I haven't had any brake problems--knock on wood. I haven't had any fuel gauge problems--knock on wood. The only problem I've had is some squeaks and rattles (Dash and overhead console) which the dealer (Peoria Nissan, AZ) has fixed.

Otherwise, the Armada is a dream. Took it to Durango CO for skiing--no problem in the snow at all. All systems work fine. Mileage about 20 on the highway and 15 city. Tires look like new. My only complaint is the spotty FM reception on the stereo--dealer has ordered parts to replace antenna embedded in rear right window-still waiting for arrival (after 4 weeks).

Go with the Armada--BMW is too damned snobby!

Steve (Peoria AZ)
  • jfitzpatrickjfitzpatrick Member Posts: 3
    just had my 04 Armada in last week for driver side window reattling. Dealer replaced the the bracket/arm mechinism and problem is gone
  • jfitzpatrickjfitzpatrick Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 LE w/ everything. My vehicle was built in September 04. I purchased it one day after it was delivered to the dealer. Never had a single problem until my driver widow started rattling when it was halfway down. The dealer replaced my door bracket and the problem is gone. No other problems to speak of. I too have never had a brake problem and love this vehicle.
    My only complaint is that it does not come with front mud flaps like the Infinity version. The optional front flaps from Nissan are cheap looking unlike the rear.
  • jacojaco Member Posts: 1
    I've have a few problems myself. Bought mine in August 2004. It's been back for the following:

- Driver side window rattles when halfway down.
    It was fixed and hasn't reoccured.

- Button to disable reversing sensor broke off.
    It was fixed and hasn't reoccured.

- On a very cold day the driver side door lock froze in the "engaged" position so I couldn't fully close the door. It was fixed and hasn't reoccured.

- Rotors and pads went at 9500 (now have 10000) All replaced and haven't reoccurred.

Also I think I hear a slight rattling when I have the HVAC on anything higher that level 1. Not sure if this is a flaw but I haven't had it checked out yet.

Despite all of this I still love the truck. My Nissan dealer has dealt with all my problems swiftly and nothing has reoccured(yet).

Strange to say I can still recommend the vehicle despite my problems and everyone elses. It looks and handles beatifully and none of the problems have been dibilitating. The engine runs great, the transmission runs great, the 4WD runs great and I've have no electical problems and those are the things that would really scare me away.
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    Has anyone found any after market tires to fit the Armada's 18 inch wheels? I've searched the major tire sites and can't find any. The Continental ones are no good on snow.
    Thanks - 81 trekker
  • batwomanbatwoman Member Posts: 2
    I bought my armada 04 LE in DEC 03. I took it back the next day as the arm for the lift gate stopped working and it has been downhill since.
    - drivers side window weather stripping replace 3 times - came off the track.
    - other three window weather stripping also replaced for wind noise
    - sunroof replaced twice and it's cover twice
    - one hub replaced
    - brakes replaced and turned 3 times in 17K miles
    - door lock froze - unable to close unless in locked position
    all the buttons for brakes/door adjustments have broken two to three times
    I notice that the fuel gauge indicator sticks and the airbag light is intermittent.
    Apparently there is no fix for the brakes - If it wasn't for my service person at Silver Star - I would have returned the car long ago. The only thing is the truck looks good but it's one problem after another. Never had any such problems with our Honda, Toyota or BMW.
  • frustrated1frustrated1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Armada in Oct. 04, I've had it in 3 times for brakes and only 9,000 miles!!!! I am so tired of taking it in every couple of months and having to leave work and get rides... Also have rattles that they claim they can't find, rust on the door and broken lock on drivers side. I too love the vehicle but think it is more hassel than worth. Does anyone know anything about the lemon law in California?? Does the dealer have to take back the vehicle after this many returns for the sam issue? Very upset that this was not disclosed when I purchased the vehicle.
    See Below. These guys are good. It worked for me it may for you. Good Luck.

http://www.delsack.com
    I too have the Conti-Craps and I live pretty close to Tahoe. I haven't had a problem in the snow with them thats if they still have tire treds. These tires wear out fast.

GoodYear has the same size tire (wrangler). There is some sizes to consider that will fit the 18" wheel, 255-70-18 and 275-65-18. Be aware of the load ratings on the tires.
  • carfan3carfan3 Member Posts: 27
    Apart from sizeand price, which car should i purchase?
    The 04 Armadas had alot of problems since it was the first time they came out with this size. But now, most of the issues, if not all has been addressed. Is the Pathfinder going through the same cycle? I thought since Pathfinders have been around for a long time that they would or should not have any problems such as what i read hear. I thought all Nissan did was redesign the body in and out, and tweak some minor things.
    If this all new design is gonna go through the whole cycle that the Armada did, wouldn't it be better for me to get the Armada? Help soon!!
    Thanks for your very useful information. Checked out the sizes you suggested and found one that might work by Goodyear. Will discuss with local dealer.

Thought you might enjoy seeing Nissan Consumer Affairs reply to my question. They don't have a clue.

81 Trekker

Thank you for your correspondence to Nissan North America, Inc. It is always a pleasure to hear from one of our customers who has taken the time to write and provide us with comments about their vehicle.

We are sorry to hear of the concerns you have regarding the quality and design of your 2004 Nissan Armada?s tires. We recommend contacting your local Nissan dealer for technical assistance and recommendations. You may also contact your tire manufacturer directly for information regarding your tires.

Thank you again for writing to Nissan North America.

Sincerely,

Alexander M.
    Consumer Affairs Specialist
    Nissan North America, Inc
  • big1salebig1sale Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the bad Conti's at 25,000. Replaced them with Michelin Pilot LTX 275/65-18's. They are GREAT tires for this vehicle. Bought them from the tire rack. Fit perfect, no leaks. Not much difference in the ride, dry grip is incredible, pretty good in the snow (hit a snowstorm in Colorado in Feb...got 24 inches and the Armada on the Michelins plowed right through. They are great in the rain. If you do serious off roading...go with another tire, but if you are mostly on pavement, buy these Michelins. Hop on Tirerack.com and check out other peoples oppinions of them. It's the greatest place to do tire research. Good luck.
    You are correct that the Michelin Pilot LTX is a good option. Would advise anyone interested in replacing the pathetic Continentals to go to www.tirerack.com
    and put in the size, 275/60-18 or 285/60-18. (There are more tires under the latter size.) Note the survey results and reviews. Michelin, Yokohama and possibly Bridgestone seems to have good tires in the latter size. Check with your local Nissan dealer if you want to be sure on size and load issues. Unfortunately, there do not seem to be any good all-terrain tires at this point.

81 Trekker
  • mtn813mtn813 Member Posts: 2
    I checked the Michelin web site, and the cross terrains come in 265/70/18. I don't have any experience with this tire, but it got good reviews on tirerack.com and may be another reasonable option.
  • rosie726rosie726 Member Posts: 40
    Well our brakes are beginning to go for the 5th time, called the dealer (who has been pretty honest so far) and were told there is ANOTHER fix that is totally new but won't be readily available til May, it will have a new 3 year warranty with unlimited mileage. Let's hope this is true!