Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Volkswagen GTI Lease Questions

nateonatornateonator Member Posts: 2
edited July 2015 in Volkswagen

Hi all,

I am looking to get a 2015 GTI once they are available this summer. I have been exploring purchasing options and am really leaning toward a lease this time around. Looking to get opinions. Lower monthly payment on a lease vs a purchase is important to me.

I would get a 3yr/45K lease. My assumption would be that the residual would be about 53%. The agreed sales price is an unknown, but hopefully under MSRP (4 door SE 6MT w/ light package) which is about $29K. The money factor is also an unknown. My credit score is north of 700 - think I would get a good rate?

I drive quite a bit, about 20K per year, but I end up not keeping my car for more than 3 years. I was willing to buy the extra miles up front to cover the extra miles, but I was told that VW Credit gives you a chance to buy more miles mid-way through the lease at the lower cost. If this is true, this makes way more sense as I will have a much better idea on where I will be ending up on the odometer. Always having a car under warranty coverage is very appealing as well. Plus, the Mrs can't get mad at me for wanting a new car after 3 years since I have to get one as the term is up. :wink:

I will be trading in my current car (2010 Taurus SEL, leather, parking assist, in very good condition), but I have some negative equity in it (couple grand). I am planning on paying off that instead of rolling it into the new lease. This is provided I get a decent trade-in offer. I don't want to wait until I pay down the loan more since I am approaching 100K miles and don't want to trade it in north of that. As I would be putting $ toward the previous loan, less money due at signing (lease) is another attractive factor vs a purchase.

I have a very steady job and there is a good chance my commute will get shorter soon, definitely not longer. I don't mind "renting" a car as I won't modify it and a car is a depreciating asset as it is and I will never keep a car long enough to get a monetary return on it. I don't plan on putting any money down on the lease as I have read that it is always a no-no to do this since you are essentially throwing your money away.

Does this make sense in my situation? As I have never leased before, is there anything to be mindful of when it comes time to turn in the lease; some sort of fine print or "catch"? Would it be as easy as show up trade in the car and get another lease (or buy it outright)? How would the extra miles change things come trade-in time?

Thanks!

See Also
2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Pricing

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

Rates for the new 2015 GTI

.00158 MF and 59% residual for 36mo, 15K/yr

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70

@kyfdx said:
    Rates for the new 2015 GTI

.00158 MF and 59% residual for 36mo, 15K/yr

Thanks. What's the residual for 10k miles?

Add 3% to go from 15K/yr to 10K/yr

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ccasey1ccasey1 Member Posts: 19

Request for June lease numbers, please. S model, DSG, 3 yr, 10k/yr. Thank you very much!

-Chris

@ccasey1 said:
    Request for June lease numbers, please. S model, DSG, 3 yr, 10k/yr. Thank you very much!

-Chris

.00155 MF and 62% residual. All trim levels.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• gtiluvrgtiluvr Member Posts: 2

Request for June numbers - 2 years, 36000 miles

• gtiluvrgtiluvr Member Posts: 2

Request for June numbers - 2 years, 36000 miles. Autobahn, DSG, all options

.00155 MF and 59% residual for 36mo, 15K/yr.

.00155 MF and 66% residual for 24mo, 15K/yr.

No 18K/yr plans that I know of..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nolarebelnolarebel Member Posts: 18

I went into negotiate with VW today, and they used the .00155 MF, but were saying a 61% residual for 36/mo. They said that their national residuals hadn't been released to the public, but they showed me some sheet that said it was 61% across all trims. Just curious why there's a difference between them and kyfdx's post above.

They also refused to match another dealer's $1800 discount, because they claimed the car wasn't marked up and they said they could sell it at MSRP. They also low-balled my trade-in by more than half, so I walked out.

Has anyone been able to get around $300 (w/o tax) with $2,000 down, or am I being too aspirational with my numbers? I found a dealer in Houston that's offer $1800 off the car.

I'd be really surprised if you could get $1800 off of a new 2015 GTI.. That's below invoice. If you get that offer, I'd take it, rather than shop it around.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

61% is probably for 12k/yr? I talked to a Houston dealership and had the 62% confirmed for 10k/yr, but because the price was discounted they said the following:

"Money Factor -2.83

I did speak with the General Sales Manager about the info that you provided and he said that the program for that money factor has ended and he cannot discount the car $1,167 and offer the money factor from last month."

I used that MF was .00283 to calculate the payment myself and got a bit over $500. I want to say the monthly payment I was quoted was $540 or so, but I can't remember specifically. It was so far from what I was expecting based on last month's .00158 MF that I didn't write it down.

-Chris

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,029

@ccasey1 said:
    61% is probably for 12k/yr? I talked to a Houston dealership and had the 62% confirmed for 10k/yr, but because the price was discounted they said the following:

"Money Factor -2.83

I did speak with the General Sales Manager about the info that you provided and he said that the program for that money factor has ended and he cannot discount the car $1,167 and offer the money factor from last month."

I used that MF was .00283 to calculate the payment myself and got a bit over $500. I want to say the monthly payment I was quoted was $540 or so, but I can't remember specifically. It was so far from what I was expecting based on last month's .00158 MF that I didn't write it down.

-Chris

Based on the June information from VW, the 36 month, 15K per year residual for the 2015 GTI is 59%. Add 2% for 12K and 3% for 10K.

However, I don't see any information on the base MF for the '15 GTI - hmmm.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

.00155 is the standard non-subvented money factor for VW for June.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• danduranddandurand Member Posts: 30

I talked to VW sales friend in Chicago. He told me he's sold 5 2015s, all at MSRP, except one they discounted $200 for a multiple repeat customer.

1. What do you mean by non-subvented?
    2. What's the invoice on an Autobahn GTI?

I'm going to take your advice and negotiate with the dealer that's offering that price, or maybe I'll just wait it out for the price to drop. Do you know how long it may take for the price to come down by $2k?

@nolarebel said:
    1. What do you mean by non-subvented?
    2. What's the invoice on an Autobahn GTI?

I'm going to take your advice and negotiate with the dealer that's offering that price, or maybe I'll just wait it out for the price to drop. Do you know how long it may take for the price to come down by $2k?

Non-subvented means market rate... for VW that is .00155 for June.

The 2015 GTI has only been on dealer lots for less than a month... You couldn't get $2000 off a 2014 model until a couple of months ago.. If you are waiting for $2K off on the 2015 (a brand new model, not just one model year newer), you might have to wait until the 2016 models come out.

I don't have the invoice numbers, but VW invoices are usually about 4% -5% under MSRP.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks a lot kyfdx. Really appreciate it.

@ccasey1 said:

"Money Factor -2.83

-Chris

I think we are talking to the same dealership, because the dealership I'm talking to in Houston just quoted me a .00283 MF, but the quotes they are equally highly. They are telling me:

With $2k down,

For 12k/yr, 24 mo, $659/mo, with a residual of $22,106 @ MSRP (68%),
    For 12k/yr, 36 mo, $546/mo, with a residual of $19,831 @ MSRP (61%),

For 15k, 24 mo, $686/mo, with a residual of 21,456 @ MSRP (66%)
    For 15k, 36 mo, $563/mo, with a residual of $19,180 @ MSRP (59%)

The residual percentages are estimates (they don't include the MF), because they didn't tell me what the price of the car was going to be, so I've emailed them back to get that number. Is it just me, or are these numbers really high?

Those numbers are really high.. Dealers know exactly what the money factors and residuals are.... any dealer that tells you differently is not being truthful.. They are trying to take advantage of buyers who are clamoring for a new model.. Just keep shopping (elsewhere).

The nationally advertised lease for the 2015 GTI Autobahn model is $2349 due at signing and $359/mo. That is with MF of .00155 and residual of 61% for 36mo, 12K/yr.

Just add tax, title and license.. That only assumes a discount of a couple hundred from MSRP.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

West Houston VW, I think. I suspect that what happened was someone made a mistake in posting the discounted price on the web. I think I worked out that it would've been cheaper buying at MSRP and getting the .00155 than at the discounted price with the inflated MF.

Anyway, I decided on a 2014 from a different dealership - North Park VW in San Antonio. Nice folks, fair prices. I close on Friday. Should be a lot of fun for a few years. Good luck with your hunt!

Yes, it was West Houston VW. The guy I spoke with said the discount was valid, but that they were going to make-up the price "elsewhere." I think I'm just going to wait it out.

• eks83eks83 Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2014

One of my local dealerships (Northeast) is advertising lease deals for the 2015 GTI Autobahn as follows:

MSRP: $32510

Price: $32010 ($500 off)

Lease Options:

1.) $349/mo with $2999 down (36 months, 10K)

2.) $439/mo with $0 down (36 months, 10K)

Is this a good deal?

@eks83 said:
    One of my local dealerships (Northeast) is advertising lease deals for the 2015 GTI Autobahn as follows:

MSRP: $32510

Price: $32010 ($500 off)

Lease Options:

1.) $349/mo with $2999 down (36 months, 10K)

2.) $439/mo with $0 down (36 months, 10K)

Is this a good deal?

3000 / 36 = $83/mo, so with tax the two deals are similar to one another. We don't recommend putting money down on a lease - if the car is stolen or totaled, you are out that money.

I don't have my lease calculator in front of me, but the MF and residual for the 2015 GTI is .00155 and 62%.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• arexreearexree Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2014

I know this forum is for 2015 VW GTIs, but I didn't know if anyone would respond to the 2013 GTI forum. My local dealer is offering a special on a new 2013 Volkswagen GTI 4DR HB DSG Driver's Edition PZEV for a sale's price of $25,995 (off of $31,860 MSRP). I would be leasing/registering the car in Connecticut.

For a 36 month, 12K miles/year lease, what would be a fair MF and residual? Do you think I could negotiate a lower sales price?

@arexree said:
    I know this forum is for 2015 VW GTIs, but I didn't know if anyone would respond to the 2013 GTI forum. My local dealer is offering a special on a new 2013 Volkswagen GTI 4DR HB DSG Driver's Edition PZEV for a sale's price of $25,995 (off of $31,860 MSRP). I would be leasing/registering the car in Connecticut.

For a 36 month, 12K miles/year lease, what would be a fair MF and residual? Do you think I could negotiate a lower sales price?

.00155 and 47% for 2013 GTI.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited June 2014

@Michaell said:
    .00155 and 47% for 2013 GTI.

Thanks Michaell. Could you explain to me how the MF seems to fluctuate so significantly for the GTI? I know back in late 2013 it was around 0.00013-0.00015. Is it simply because the car is older? Or perhaps VW just sets the MF on whatever basis they want? I wonder if it would be a better deal to wait for a lower MF on a 2014 model. Thanks in advance.

@arexree said:
    Thanks Michaell. Could you explain to me how the MF seems to fluctuate so significantly for the GTI? I know back in late 2013 it was around 0.00013-0.00015. Is it simply because the car is older? Or perhaps VW just sets the MF on whatever basis they want? I wonder if it would be a better deal to wait for a lower MF on a 2014 model. Thanks in advance.

I would guess that on the 2013, the dealers don't have much inventory and there isn't a huge incentive to move them, so the MF is higher.

You can wait to see what happens to the numbers next month, but they could as easily go up as go down.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I don't think you'll find a good lease deal on a 2013 model. There are pretty good deals on 2014 models, right now. You can easily do $3500 off a loaded one..

I'm not sure I'd even want to buy a new 2013 model, when I can have the comparable 2014 model for just $2K more.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx said:
    I don't think you'll find a good lease deal on a 2013 model. There are pretty good deals on 2014 models, right now. You can easily do $3500 off a loaded one..

I'm not sure I'd even want to buy a new 2013 model, when I can have the comparable 2014 model for just $2K more.

Very grateful for your responses Michaell and kyfdx. You guys were also completely right as the dealer wanted to charge me close to 5% MF on the 2013 Driver's Edition... outrageous. With the 0.00027 MF on the 2014 GTIs, I'm going to try and strike a deal before the end of this month. I don't want the MF to slip away from me in June.

• bakayarobakayaro Member Posts: 2

Hello, I've been following this thread as I am also looking at leasing a 2015 GTI - my local dealer has one on the lot at $26,810 MSRP (it is an S with 6-speed manual and just has the lighting package). What is the best lease deal I can get right now? I don't want to put anything down - can I get the advertised national lease offer of $299/mo for 36mo/12k yr?

@bakayaro said:
    Hello, I've been following this thread as I am also looking at leasing a 2015 GTI - my local dealer has one on the lot at $26,810 MSRP (it is an S with 6-speed manual and just has the lighting package). What is the best lease deal I can get right now? I don't want to put anything down - can I get the advertised national lease offer of $299/mo for 36mo/12k yr?

36/12 residual is 61% for all 2015 GTI's, with a MF of .00155.

The $299/mo requires $2349 due at signing. Not sure how much of that is cap cost reduction, but whatever that amount is, divide by 36 to figure out how much that $299 payment will increase (eg, $1000 cap cost reduction results in a $28/mo decrease in payment for 36 months).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• bakayarobakayaro Member Posts: 2

Thank you for the quick reply Michaell. How much wiggle room from the MSRP do we have on these 2015 GTIs? Essentially, I want to get the lighting package ($995) thrown in.

@bakayaro said:
    Thank you for the quick reply Michaell. How much wiggle room from the MSRP do we have on these 2015 GTIs? Essentially, I want to get the lighting package ($995) thrown in.

I don't know what kind of discounts are available - you can check the pricing tools at the top of the page to get you started...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• mgrosemgrose Member Posts: 15

Have July lease rates been released? Looking primarily at an SE, 10k mi per year, 36 month.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

A reporter is hoping to interview someone who leased a new car or truck in the past four months. Please email PR@edmunds.com by July 8, 2014 to share your story.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

@mgrose said:
    Have July lease rates been released? Looking primarily at an SE, 10k mi per year, 36 month.

.00160 MF and 61% residual.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• edmunds8787edmunds8787 Member Posts: 1

Hi, I'm wondering if I could get some quick help...I live in SF Bay, and about to lease a 2015 GTI SE w/ DSG and Lighting Pkg, the quotes MF was .002 and 60% residual for 3-year 12/miles per year. Can anyone tell me how "reasonable" of a deal this is, and why it seems the MF ranges from market to market? Does the dealer set the MF or does VW corporate, and is there any negotiating that can be done on it? In need to make a quick move for a car this weekend but could really use some advice--first time leasing a car. Thanks!

@edmunds8787 said:
    Hi, I'm wondering if I could get some quick help...I live in SF Bay, and about to lease a 2015 GTI

SE w/ DSG and Lighting Pkg, the quotes MF was .002 and 60% residual for 3-year 12/miles per year. Can anyone tell me how "reasonable" of a deal this is, and why it seems the MF ranges from market to market? Does the dealer set the MF or does VW corporate, and is there any negotiating that can be done on it? In need to make a quick move for a car this weekend but could really use some advice--first time leasing a car. Thanks!

I can confirm the 60% residual for all 2015 GTI's - 36/12.

The "base" MF is set by VW Finance, but can be inflated by the dealer for extra profit. .00160 is the base MF for the GTI this month.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• ashopperashopper Member Posts: 8

Request for 2015 VW GTI DSG with lighting package and Autobahn lease numbers - 12k/36mo

@ashopper said:
    Request for 2015 VW GTI DSG with lighting package and Autobahn lease numbers - 12k/36mo

60% residual and .00160 MF.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• ashopperashopper Member Posts: 8

Thanks Michaell. I got a price from the dealer near my house for a GTI SE w/ Lighting for $30,410.00 . Is this a good price ? What's a good price Autobahns w/ Lighting ?

@ashopper said:
    Thanks Michaell. I got a price from the dealer near my house for a GTI SE w/ Lighting for $30,410.00 . Is this a good price ? What's a good price Autobahns w/ Lighting ?

I'm not in the market, so can't comment on what is or is not a good price. Use the shopping tools at the top of the page to get Edmunds' take on TMV.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• scanthemelonscanthemelon Member Posts: 1
    Leasing a manual SE 10k/36mo for 445/mo. Thoughts?

@scanthemelon said:
    Leasing a manual SE 10k/36mo for 445/mo. Thoughts?

Selling price? MSRP? Without those numbers, we can't reliably evaluate your deal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• taterstatetaterstate Member Posts: 1

Can you give me the base MF and Residual for:

2015 Autobahn 6 speed manual
    Lighting Package
    15K Miles a year
    3 years?

@taterstate said:
    Can you give me the base MF and Residual for:

2015 Autobahn 6 speed manual
    Lighting Package
    15K Miles a year
    3 years?

58% and .00160.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• jdphc8jdphc8 Member Posts: 6

Hi,

I leased a 2015 GTI Autobahn for $375 (taxes, licensing, etc included).... 4 years, 10k miles per year. Is this a good deal?

Also, it was $0 money down.

@jdphc8 said:
    Hi,

I leased a 2015 GTI Autobahn for $375 (taxes, licensing, etc included).... 4 years, 10k miles per year. Is this a good deal?

Hard to say ... what were the MSRP and negotiated selling price?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

The MSRP was $329,600 and the negotiated selling price was $28,500.