Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• breldbreld Posts: 4,410
    nyccarguy said:

breld said:

nyccarguy said:

breld said:

I casually brought up an E46 to my wife last night. 2004 ZHP 'vert, blue over gray, 57k miles, listed for $12,999, in Connecticut.

She was actually pretty enthusiastic about it - she liked the non-ZHP 'vert we had a little while back, and when we sold it, it was with the idea of getting another one with a proper stick shift at some point. She thinks something like that would make a great "fun" car for both of us - the E46 is something we both heartily agree on. And with her GTI, she's pretty set on maintaining an automatic for her daily driver, and eventually I'll probably move back toward an automatic too. So, something like this would be a nice, inexpensive car we'd both enjoy.

But...when I spoke with the salesperson this morning, that particular ZHP was sold. He said they had another 330ci "identical" to it. While on the phone, I brought up the pictures of it...."Oh, so it's not blue (okay)....and it's not a ZHP (oh, it's not?)....and it's an automatic (oh, you wanted the manual?)" Silly salesperson.

Anyhow - may pick up the search for an E46. One of those things if we found a nice low mileage example, probably have to jump on it. ZHP would be nice, but would probably settle for Sport. Open to the three body styles, but since it'd be a fun car, a coupe or convertible would be fun. I did enjoy the top down experience on our recent one.

Where in CT?
    BMW of Greenwich
    Too bad it didn't work out. My city borders Greenwich.
    I thought you may be close - if it were still available, I was considering hitting you up to check it out.

Maybe next time. :)

2018 Audi Q7 - 2018 Audi A5 - 2017 Miata RF

au1994 said:

breld said:

nyccarguy said:

breld said:

I casually brought up an E46 to my wife last night. 2004 ZHP 'vert, blue over gray, 57k miles, listed for $12,999, in Connecticut.

She was actually pretty enthusiastic about it - she liked the non-ZHP 'vert we had a little while back, and when we sold it, it was with the idea of getting another one with a proper stick shift at some point. She thinks something like that would make a great "fun" car for both of us - the E46 is something we both heartily agree on. And with her GTI, she's pretty set on maintaining an automatic for her daily driver, and eventually I'll probably move back toward an automatic too. So, something like this would be a nice, inexpensive car we'd both enjoy.

But...when I spoke with the salesperson this morning, that particular ZHP was sold. He said they had another 330ci "identical" to it. While on the phone, I brought up the pictures of it...."Oh, so it's not blue (okay)....and it's not a ZHP (oh, it's not?)....and it's an automatic (oh, you wanted the manual?)" Silly salesperson.

Anyhow - may pick up the search for an E46. One of those things if we found a nice low mileage example, probably have to jump on it. ZHP would be nice, but would probably settle for Sport. Open to the three body styles, but since it'd be a fun car, a coupe or convertible would be fun. I did enjoy the top down experience on our recent one.

Where in CT?
    BMW of Greenwich
    How funny. When I was looking for my ZHP they had an Imola vert with something like 35k miles that was beautiful. Of course they wanted over 16k for it!

I think it goes without saying I would recommend a ZHP over a Sport for your fun car :smile:
    Imola with 35k miles? I would consider $16k for it!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,235
    Oh and also. for any BMW of Greenwich shoppers out there: They have a "sister" dealership, PACE BMW of Mamaroneck which is about 10 minutes away from Greenwich, CT in NY. $75 capped doc fee in NY & most likely a $300 - $500 "conveyance fee" in CT.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 4,864
    Was a victim of identity theft Friday and Saturday...guy made a copy of my license with his pic and got into checking account. We were on it almost immediately but before bank froze account, he got more out. Just spoke with police in Jacksonville and need report to get a new license number...got with the credit bureaus and have freezes on everything, have done all we could now. Please, check accounts daily like we've been doing to minimize anything bad happening. Heard that the perp was over friendly with the tellar so hopefully they will review their videos to catch him...bank will replace the funds by end of business today but we feel violated and will change the way we do some things.
    Just wanted y'all to know it's a mean world out there and identity theft can happen to anyone, at any time! Be careful who sees your drivers license and never give out your info...weird thing is the only one to see my drivers license was a cop back at the end of March!
    The last few days have been a nightmare of calls and bank visits...am physically exhausted by all the damage this perp has caused us...it has changed me as a person!

The Sandman :( B)

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

Took the Accent in before the wife and daughter take off on their trip tomorrow. Needed new tires, a battery, brakes adjusted and a 4 wheel alignment. Car has just 20,100 or so on it but the tires were cracking and couldn't be rotated anymore. Battery was marginal and could've waited a bit but we felt better just swapping it out so the kid won't get into trouble when she starts her internship June 1st. Hyundai replaced the original battery at end of year one but it was probably time. Never been aligned since the first year and brakes were never adjusted so figured they had the vehicle, just get things done. First we've spent on it besides wiper blades and oil changes since we bought it new back in '08 so think we've been lucky. She plans to keep it for awhile so wife told me to just get 'er done and since she's the last kid on the payroll, dad paid the bill. Can't wait for a year from now when she will be hired as a pharmacist somewhere and can support herself!
    Funny how none of the three followed their mom and became a CPA, a good job where the wife is constantly working. The boy is a math whiz and would be a natural, but he wasn't interested. Oh well, but will be nice when they are all on their own and we can get ready for full retirement. Luckily I've got my Hertz gig and will be able to keep it until I stop working completely again in about 4 years from now.

The Sandman :) B)

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

Both vehicles are at the 5k mark, with the Golf at 5500 plus now. Both running flawlessly and did the rotation on it a week or two back. Hoping the reliability on them both continues to be great. Do mostly highway miles on mine, straight shot on the interstate and don't drive like a maniac. Some droid hit the back passenger wheel well and left a bunch of scratches which I don't get because I always, like 99.99% of the time, park in a handicap spot usually backing in. Try to always position the vehicle in the middle to avoid such a situation but hey, it still happened. Not the end of the world, just annoying since I do try to keep it pristine all the time. Besides the Civic, this is the best vehicle I've ever owned and can see myself keeping it for the long run. Getting rid of the Tucson was a fluke, I think going in I knew it wasn't going to be a keeper but I just was tired of small economy vehicles and wanted a change...but after a few months, I knew I made a mistake and that was that. Best to cut and run which is what I did though I still hear about it from the wife about I should've stayed the course, yada, yada, yada!
    Glad I swapped for the Golf and haven't looked back. Mileage is better than expected, it's comfortable and quiet and moves when it has to. Love the blue color and the Jetta 15 spoke wheels give it a nice look. The Sandman is a happy driver but my only wish would be to get to drive the Audi a bit more!

Sandy - sorry to hear your ID was stolen. Good thing you were able to catch it in time. ID theft is a crazy crime.

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,440
    edited May 2015

Was a victim of identity theft Friday and Saturday...guy made a copy of my license with his pic and got into checking account. We were on it almost immediately but before bank froze account, he got more out. Just spoke with police in Jacksonville and need report to get a new license number...got with the credit bureaus and have freezes on everything, have done all we could now. Please, check accounts daily like we've been doing to minimize anything bad happening. Heard that the perp was over friendly with the tellar so hopefully they will review their videos to catch him...bank will replace the funds by end of business today but we feel violated and will change the way we do some things.
    Just wanted y'all to know it's a mean world out there and identity theft can happen to anyone, at any time! Be careful who sees your drivers license and never give out your info...weird thing is the only one to see my drivers license was a cop back at the end of March!
    The last few days have been a nightmare of calls and bank visits...am physically exhausted by all the damage this perp has caused us...it has changed me as a person!

Same thing happened to my sister. While she was at work, someone snuck into the staff room and stole a bunch of wallets while the thief's accomplice distracted the employees. As soon as my sister found out she went to her bank and reported her ID and bank cards stolen. Few hours after my sister reported her things stolen the thief went to another branch and drained her account with her stolen bank card and her stolen ID at the teller. My sister was fuming and so was my dad when they went to talk to the bank to try to figure out how they would let her account get drained especially after she reported her bank card and ID stolen. Anyways she got her money back but it was absurd that the bank could drop the ball like that.

boomchek: driven 10,000+ cars, sold 1000+ cars, owned 50+ cars

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,121
    edited May 2015
    I had Swope VW look for a GTI S with three pedals, the Performance Package, and the Lighting Package. Nothing in a seven state radius. The few PP cars I've found have all been SE or Autobahn models. Typical VW; list a a trim level/option combination that rarely exists outside of the print brochure...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

Yes, a total nightmare! Just got back from another bank that I have some individual stuff at and put in a new procedure for the way I deposit, withdraw, whatever...just need to make every place aware that my(our) accounts need to be flagged for fraud. The little extra layer of protection may just pay off if this sort of thing happens again. But again, this banker said fraud is very bad here in South Florida and they have procedures in place to help make things safer...as we were there, another guy walked in with an identity theft problem as well. Just blows my mind how prevalent this nonsense is...these folks hopefully will be caught and get the book thrown at them. A shame when good honest, hard working folks like us get victimized by folks who think that crime is their only way to survive. They all need to be caught and thrown in prison and go through the same hell that we the victims are going through to clean up the mess they left in their wake! I am just so angry, pissed off...y'all get the drift here.
    Going to go relax now...if I drank, would be a good time for a cocktail!!!

The Pissed Off Sandman :@

• henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 2,575

Took the Accent in before the wife and daughter take off on their trip tomorrow. Needed new tires, a battery, brakes adjusted and a 4 wheel alignment. Car has just 20,100 or so on it but the tires were cracking and couldn't be rotated anymore. Battery was marginal and could've waited a bit but we felt better just swapping it out so the kid won't get into trouble when she starts her internship June 1st. Hyundai replaced the original battery at end of year one but it was probably time. Never been aligned since the first year and brakes were never adjusted so figured they had the vehicle, just get things done. First we've spent on it besides wiper blades and oil changes since we bought it new back in '08 so think we've been lucky.

"brakes adjusted" ???

I haven't heard of anyone "adjusting brakes" since the bygone days of drum brakes.
    2018 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab, 2016 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,375

Was a victim of identity theft Friday and Saturday...guy made a copy of my license with his pic and got into checking account.

How did they get a copy of your license?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• carnaughtcarnaught Desert SWPosts: 2,727
    edited May 2015
    Sandy, several years ago I was also a victim of i.d. theft. This is when my state had SS no. as our license no. (they have since changed this). At any rate, I was able to shut this down almost immediately, and had no financial losses but also felt violated and angry. The thief got a couple lines of credit with a few banks, all with my ss. no, an incorrect date of birth, incorrect phone no, and incorrect place of emploument. I discovered it after all this computer equipment I didn't order got delivered to me. When I called and asked who ordered it, and how it was paid for, I opened the can of worms. I called other computer companies, assuming they also had pending or filled orders, and found out they did! Our house at the time was for sale, and we got a confirmation from the post office of a change of address, which we DID NOT do. We discovered cars casing our house waiting for deliveries to be left outside. . What pi$$ed me off was that one of the banks required me to get all this notarized information to them, a very inconvenient process. I was incensed at them, that they required all these hoops for me to jump through yet they allowed the thief to do what he/she was allowed to do, very simply.

About a year later, the police found the perpetrators who probably got a slap on the wrists.

Now, wife and I have Lifelock accounts, not entirely foolproof, but certainly a comfort to have.

Sandy, sorry you also had to go through this, but fortunately, as with me, it could have been worse.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 6,701
    I had Swope VW look for a GTI S with three pedals, the Performance Package, and the Lighting Package. Nothing in a seven state radius. The few PP cars I've found have all been SE or Autobahn models. Typical VW; list a a trim level/option combination that rarely exists outside of the print brochure...
    When I bought the GLI, it was difficult to find one without the optional spoiler. I basically told them it had no value for me and I wasn't willing to pay for it. They found one without the spoiler. 
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 113,889

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 4,098

Yes, a total nightmare! Just got back from another bank that I have some individual stuff at and put in a new procedure for the way I deposit, withdraw, whatever...just need to make every place aware that my(our) accounts need to be flagged for fraud. The little extra layer of protection may just pay off if this sort of thing happens again. But again, this banker said fraud is very bad here in South Florida and they have procedures in place to help make things safer...as we were there, another guy walked in with an identity theft problem as well. Just blows my mind how prevalent this nonsense is...these folks hopefully will be caught and get the book thrown at them. A shame when good honest, hard working folks like us get victimized by folks who think that crime is their only way to survive. They all need to be caught and thrown in prison and go through the same hell that we the victims are going through to clean up the mess they left in their wake! I am just so angry, pissed off...y'all get the drift here.
    Going to go relax now...if I drank, would be a good time for a cocktail!!!

The Pissed Off Sandman :@

I have a password on my bank accounts. I have to say it every time I call them or arrive in person. They ask me for it. This happened several years back when some joker in Italy somehow got hold of my Visa and tried to buy a laptop. The bank called me - at my home number - and asked if I was in Italy. We cancelled the card and set up a password for the account.

I'm also using Lifelock.
    As to how he got my license with his picture on it, no clue nor do the police or bank folks. The only person to see my license was a cop the end of March though it might be on the police report, which I plan to order Monday. If the report had my license number, then the guy I hit might have done something but one bank manager told me it wasn't a white guy who committed the fraud...the guy I hit was Latin but who knows, pure speculation here. Still waiting for the funds to be replaced, Chase bank has dropped the ball here and we might be dropping them soon because of this lack of making us whole...we were told this issue would be "expedited", whatever that means...and a week in, nothing has been put back. Totally unacceptable...just totally unacceptable!
    We are now password covered everywhere, a good thing and all 3 credit bureaus have been alerted and a freeze has been put in place. Not much more we can do for now I suspect...J
    just want things settled already!
    On the Accent's brakes, they cleaned them and adjusted the parking brake and everything is fine with the pads, calipers and all moving parts. First major maintenance done since Thanksgiving 2008 when new so think we're o k...it has turned out to be a great economy car! It's on a road trip now and just heard that it drove like a champ today to upstate Florida...she needs this vehicle to last another 6 or so years but with just over 20k on the clock, should be doable.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,616
    did some browsing today since I was at the dealer for the first service on the Sonata (supplied gratis by the dealer, so I schlepped over to Philly for it. Bad idea on a Friday afternoon).

cruised the Elantra aisle, thinking about this in the summer. they had a lot of them. 16s out already too. not worried about getting a cheap lease come the summer if I want it.

real nice GT 6 speed stick all loaded up in the showroom. that could be a fun car, but not what we are looking for (should have convinced the princess to stick with the stick!).

had an annoying time. took an extra hour, because there was a call for a navi update. which somehow took an hour+ to load, so I got out in the middle of rush hour instead of just in front.

on the plus side, because I was polite and patient (no blow ups!) the service writer appreciated it, and told me that the next one (which I was supposed to pay for) would be on them too, so I have a free oil change and rotation coming. So yeah, it was worth hanging out the extra time looking at cars!

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,602
    From one schlep to another, nicely done.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,726
    Regarding the identity theft, I'd wager nobody actually saw the physical DL, they just obtained some demographic info, and made up a new one, as the template usually remains the same no matter the user. Home printer technology can make some really passable fakes these days. The data could have possibly been gained from a dumpster diver at a financial or medical institution, as both of those seem to occasionally have data control issues. That's really a mess, hope it works out. I once worked in fraud management for a telecom, and fake ID based fraud is a big thing.
    edited May 2015

Hmm - when we were looking a few months ago, just before I bought the Mazda3, I test drove a GTI trimmed exactly as you'd like, in Black. So, they do exist, but may take a little patience to get one.

In fact, now that I think about it, it was probably priced very similarly to my loaded Mazda. Which is to say, that's a great value! Dang, maybe I should've given that a bit more thought! :)

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,602
    breld said:

Hmm - when we were looking a few months ago, just before I bought the Mazda3, I test drove a GTI trimmed exactly as you'd like, in Black. So, they do exist, but may take a little patience to get one.

In fact, now that I think about it, it was probably priced very similarly to my loaded Mazda. Which is to say, that's a great value! Dang, maybe I should've given that a bit more thought! :)
    There's always next week.
    Those in the Kentucky area, is it just me, or does everyone who has a "Friends of Coal" license plate drive like a complete nitwit?
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 3,019
    Not ID theft, but while I was out of town for business
    [ and without my Charger ]
    my cc co. notified me of suspected fraudulent activity
    on the card I typically use.
    [ 3 major auto parts purchases & others. ]
    VERY annoying...
    Sorry to hear \ read here of others with issues!
    - Ray
    Glad to be back & driving my own car...
    2016 BMW 340i
    Ray, it's always when I'm out of town that my credit card number gets stolen! A couple years ago, I sat down to eat my meal, which I had just paid for with the card, at a Chipotle in Kansas City, and the girl running the cash register walked up and told me the card had come back declined. Not sure why it took them five minutes to catch that, but I paid in cash and had to charge my hotel room to another card.

Sandy, hope you get everything straightened out.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,121
    edited May 2015
    Sold the '02 today- to a guy from Cincy who is going to convert it to a five speed. I hated to let it go, but I really did have too many cars. The up side is I now have more money in the budget for the next car...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,803
    edited May 2015
    stickguy said:

real nice GT 6 speed stick all loaded up in the showroom. that could be a fun car,

Its really not. It is a nice car, but not fun. The Fit feels much more sporty.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

Sold the '02 today- to a guy from Cincy who is going to convert it to a five speed. I hated to let it go, but I really did have too many cars. The up side is I now have more money in the budget for the next car...

At least you found a good home for it.

• kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 122,878
    corvette said:

Those in the Kentucky area, is it just me, or does everyone who has a "Friends of Coal" license plate drive like a complete nitwit?

Haven't noticed that.... I think most of them get the plate because it's black and matches the color scheme of their vehicle.. Unless you are in the industry, why else would you choose it?

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

Haven't noticed that.... I think most of them get the plate because it's black and matches the color scheme of their vehicle.. Unless you are in the industry, why else would you choose it?
    I tend to view it as either semi-political, or a statement that the owner supports air pollution, or both, so maybe my prejudice is showing.