Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    tifighter said:
    Don't let this dry spell fool you, reality is always just around the corner. That being said, I could be tempted by a 1997 SL500 (or maybe a SL600 of that time or later) full option car with pano.
    I've been looking at convertibles online again. But only recreationally, I swear.
    Are you kidding? Now is when the prices come down. I will probably catch some flak here, but I kinda like the A207 E Cab. It’s a cruiser, but it doesn’t pretend to be anything else. I like the trunk space a fabric roof gives you, and seems like it would be a nice weekend trip car with the wife.
    I had one briefly. They are great cars and very classy looking. Built like a bank vault of course. It is a big car though and feels like it when you drive it. That’s either good or bad depending on what you want.  Plenty room and even with the top down there is plenty of trunk room. Ultimately I wanted more sportiness and went back to a 3 series convertible. 

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

And the relevance of this picture is what, exactly?

I found @breld's next car

Ha! That's like shooting fish in a barrel!!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    My son was lose it over that car. He still debates trading his A3 for an S3, and an R would be icing on the cake

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    I'd love that RS3. 400 HP!! Too bad it doesn't come in a hatch.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

And the relevance of this picture is what, exactly?
    And the owner obviously keeps that car outside. For shame. Like the car and the color!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Aside from the ‘05 Acura TL being a scam, those hold their value really well. I had one. Nice car. Reliable as all get out. Modestly fun to drive.

The Acura faithful hold that particular iteration in high regard (particularly the S-Type).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    For some not yet "old" MBs, the price is always coming down, as they love depreciation :)

A207 is probably a safe bet if it passes a PPI - kind of a mix of W204 and W212 elements, both of those models have proven to be solid.

My convertible issue is I still have some fear of cloth tops for security and leaks, yet I am paranoid about retractable metal tops breaking, and removing an old fashioned hardtop is usually a 2 man job or requires a hoist, which due to pipes above, I could never install in my building's garage.
    tifighter said:

Are you kidding? Now is when the prices come down.

I will probably catch some flak here, but I kinda like the A207 E Cab. It’s a cruiser, but it doesn’t pretend to be anything else. I like the trunk space a fabric roof gives you, and seems like it would be a nice weekend trip car with the wife.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    kyfdx said:
    A buddy recently moved to outside London and bought an RS3 hatch. He said traffic is so bad on his commute he rarely gets it above 60km/hr. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    I fixed that commuting issue. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    au1994 said:

tifighter said:

fintail said:

Don't let this dry spell fool you, reality is always just around the corner.

That being said, I could be tempted by a 1997 SL500 (or maybe a SL600 of that time or later) full option car with pano.

tifighter said:

I've been looking at convertibles online again. But only recreationally, I swear.

I will probably catch some flak here, but I kinda like the A207 E Cab. It’s a cruiser, but it doesn’t pretend to be anything else. I like the trunk space a fabric roof gives you, and seems like it would be a nice weekend trip car with the wife.

I had one briefly. They are great cars and very classy looking. Built like a bank vault of course. It is a big car though and feels like it when you drive it. That’s either good or bad depending on what you want.  Plenty room and even with the top down there is plenty of trunk room. Ultimately I wanted more sportiness and went back to a 3 series convertible. 

Ah, now I remember you having one. I haven't driven one yet, but have driven the 3; maybe I wouldn't like it. But hey hey CCBA, it couldn't hurt to find out, right?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    fintail said:

For some not yet "old" MBs, the price is always coming down, as they love depreciation :)

A207 is probably a safe bet if it passes a PPI - kind of a mix of W204 and W212 elements, both of those models have proven to be solid.

My convertible issue is I still have some fear of cloth tops for security and leaks, yet I am paranoid about retractable metal tops breaking, and removing an old fashioned hardtop is usually a 2 man job or requires a hoist, which due to pipes above, I could never install in my building's garage.

tifighter said:

I lean towards a cloth top at the end of the day. It would kill me to have to drive down the coast on a beautiful day with the top up just so I could fit two bags in the trunk. But that's pretty much the deal on nearly all retractable hardtops. Ridiculous.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    tifighter said:
    For some not yet "old" MBs, the price is always coming down, as they love depreciation :) A207 is probably a safe bet if it passes a PPI - kind of a mix of W204 and W212 elements, both of those models have proven to be solid. My convertible issue is I still have some fear of cloth tops for security and leaks, yet I am paranoid about retractable metal tops breaking, and removing an old fashioned hardtop is usually a 2 man job or requires a hoist, which due to pipes above, I could never install in my building's garage.
    Are you kidding? Now is when the prices come down. I will probably catch some flak here, but I kinda like the A207 E Cab. It’s a cruiser, but it doesn’t pretend to be anything else. I like the trunk space a fabric roof gives you, and seems like it would be a nice weekend trip car with the wife.
    I lean towards a cloth top at the end of the day. It would kill me to have to drive down the coast on a beautiful day with the top up just so I could fit two bags in the trunk. But that's pretty much the deal on nearly all retractable hardtops. Ridiculous.
    Yep it is ridiculous in practice. I had got rid of the MB for a 3 series hardtop convertible.  I put the top down on the lot and knew it would be tight but liveable. Not really, for perspective my computer bag is about all that would fit, top down.  If it was a spare car, it would work but this was my DD and we simply put grew it.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    kyfdx said:

Word on the street is that the TTRS (similar to RS3 but lighter/nimbler), is crazy fast, even in pure stock form (coming from track aficionados).
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    so we got snow today. started about 1, went through to about 7. Maybe 3 inches, but still made a mess on the roads around philly. commutes were terrible. So, of course I said we were going out to dinner so I could try out the new tires.

overall, impressed. Really good grip. had to really work to get the ABS to kick in, and traction off the line was impressive. good grip. Not sure if these tires are really good, or the old ones were just really bad. But either way, the RDX was quite sure footed. So, happy so far.

Next week will find out how they do on the highway.

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @breld I don't no so frustrated hmm the type R will be going would say bye feb the latest lollol darango hmm before the summer wifes latest car bye the summer! lollollol
  • Options
    @nyccarguy love the shape and color of that car you found for Breld!
  • Options
    @stickguy glad to hear the inishal report on the new tires you put on the RDX yesterday! cant wate to hear how they do on your road trip next week!
  • Options
    Put the bags in the passenger compartment :) That was the solution in my F-Type rental last month, a car that has virtually no luggage space no matter the position of the top. I could put my carry on in the trunk, but the normal suitcase got to ride up front. Fortunately, I was alone.
    tifighter said:

• Options
    gotta say, little turbos are fun. The Sport is really good at point and shoot driving. 20-50 to get around traffic, that thing really scoots.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    Had some free time today and stopped by my local Ford dealer. The only interesting cars in the showroom were a couple of GT350s, a yellow 2017 Mustang GT Premium with most every option and a white Focus RS. The Shelbys were north of $60k while the GT was tagged at $40k($5k off MSRP) and the RS was priced at MSRP- $40k. I liked the Alcantara Recaros in the RS- I was really able to find a comfortable seating position. Nice cars all, but nothing that tempted me to flip the 2 Series. I do think I eventually see a three pedal M2 in my future...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    @stickguy yes terbo moters are a lot of fun! have to have mom get one in the next car or SUV that is for shore! or an V6 like she has now in the Maxima! we shal see!
  • Options
    @roadburner nice nice on your brozing at the Ford dealer yesterday!
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Anybody interested in 30%-off Buicks?
    https://www.jimcurley.com/up-to-25-off-msrp/

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    edited December 2017
    Apparently not. That TTAC piece a few days ago was spot on. You can have a Buick for the cost of a Jimmy John’s sandwich each day.  When my parents were car shopping, my mom made the comment that the Volvo XC60 would be acceptable “if we can buy a new one fully equipped for $30k.” 

A fully loaded Envision might be interesting at the right price. Unfortunately, I’ve been bitten by the full size truck bug, so it’s probably not for me. 
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

Anybody interested in 30%-off Buicks?
    https://www.jimcurley.com/up-to-25-off-msrp/

Ummm...
    No.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    @qbrozen interesting hmm!
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Envision for $26k is kinda compelling. I mean, not for ME, but maybe a relative or friend looking for a deal. I tried to push my sister into it last night but apparently even $26k is too much for her budget.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    The Buick Envisions with the deep discounts are equipped with the NA 2.5L 4 so I don't imagine they are much fun. The Envision in general is not a vehicle that does anything for me. Interestingly, at the bottom of page 3 of those listings they have a 2016 Envision with less than 10% off. Good luck moving that.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Something like this could be an eventual replacement for the Type R.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/722011792/overview/

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    Can you please clarify "eventual?"

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    nyccarguy said:
    Can you please clarify "eventual?"
    2 weeks 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    :) The use of the term “eventual” is intentionally vague for me.  

Sometime in 2018 may be probable.  But I wouldn’t put it past me to go longer with the Type R.  There will come a time when I will want a more, uh, mature, fun car.  But the fact is I look so forward to getting in the seat of the Civic - it’s fun in every way - obviously in the way it drives, but also it’s overall look and feel.  Definitely has something to do with my love for Hondas from my youth.  

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    breld said:

Something like this could be an eventual replacement for the Type R.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/722011792/overview/

Lease return, then a second owner in Nov. 2016. So they didn't have it long.
  • Options
    This is beautiful.  And probably worth the cost to someone that has to have one, but man that’s a lot of dough.

https://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2003-bmw-m5-e39-37k-miles/6406106721.html

• Options
    breld said:

This is beautiful.  And probably worth the cost to someone that has to have one, but man that’s a lot of dough.

What?! So he thinks the low miles are worth an additional $28,000? The man is stark raving mad.
  • Options
    @breld hmm I think give you one munth the most!
  • Options
    @breld nice beamer!
  • Options
    Hey, I predicted NY eve for a move to be made. So I am right on track. Usually only 7-10 days between posting links and a punch.

• Options

breld said:

What?! So he thinks the low miles are worth an additional $28,000? The man is stark raving mad.
    It’s the Enthusiast Auto effect. His asking price is right in line with the dozen examples they offer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    price aside, I really like that one. Ad is right, nice change from a see of gray/silver paint and black interiors. This color combo is very attractive.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

breld said:

It’s the Enthusiast Auto effect. His asking price is right in line with the dozen examples they offer.
    Exactly what I was thinking!

• Options
    colors of that beamer are nice!
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

breld said:

They can offer it for whatever they want (First Amendment Rights) but I can buy these for you for less than half the price in California.
  • Options
    I loathe this new breed of car flippers as much as I loathe house flippers.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    fintail said:
    I loathe this new breed of car flippers as much as I loathe house flippers.
    Flipping Out on Bravo would be great irritainment for you.  :p
  • Options
    I can't stand any of the housing/real estate propaganda material. My mom loves the stuff, when I visit, the rule is that she gets to take a break :)

It just inflates prices.
    corvette said:

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    fintail said:

I can't stand any of the housing/real estate propaganda material. My mom loves the stuff, when I visit, the rule is that she gets to take a break :)

It just inflates prices.

corvette said:

So you both watch shows on Velocity? :wink:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I had the chance to grab lunch with @breld and @michaell today. @breld was in the Type R and it looks great. I think this one stays around a big longer. It's not something you can replicate easily.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    jpp5862 said:

I had the chance to grab lunch with @breld and @michaell today. @breld was in the Type R and it looks great. I think this one stays around a big longer. It's not something you can replicate easily.

The Touareg and the Jetta look quite pedestrian in comparison.

We were both hoping to see the Polestar, but, alas, it was at home with Mrs. @breld today.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Michaell said:

The Touareg and the Jetta look quite pedestrian in comparison.

We were both hoping to see the Polestar, but, alas, it was at home with Mrs. @breld today.

Indeed. As usual a little soap and water wouldn't hurt the Touareg, @breld and @michaell always keep their cars nice and clean, but I do look forward to seeing the Polestar soon.