Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    Mine was a coupe, but good memory. I believe the leather makes it a Touring.

Condition means everything at this point. Needing a new top and clutch with those miles would lead me to believe it has not had the most pampered life. Let's call it $6k trade tops. So maybe $8500 PP? What do they want for it?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    edited April 2018
    qbrozen said:

Mine was a coupe, but good memory. I believe the leather makes it a Touring.

Condition means everything at this point. Needing a new top and clutch with those miles would lead me to believe it has not had the most pampered life. Let's call it $6k trade tops. So maybe $8500 PP? What do they want for it?

My understanding is the clutch and top were replaced as a preventative matter since the car had not been driven much by the current owner since 2015 (illness etc.). Also, apparently the clutch life on these cars wasn't great from what I've read. It looks pretty well as pampered as I've seen a 350Z.

....$8600.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Q is right on the money there!

That is true, some cars are inherently hard on clutches--take the Boxster for instance. 80K miles and you are definitely done.

Having said that, I've never heard of a "preventative" clutch repair--it's not a cheap job, so probably the clutch was chattering or perhaps sticking. (pressure plate).

If a top looks shabby, it's hard to sell a convertible like that.
  • Options
    It feels like a reasonable price to me, so I wanted to double check. And it seems like maybe a better choice for a while both price and reliability wise.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    How do you fit in it? They are a bit snug for some drivers.
  • Options
    they certainly are being reasonable. I would have guessed $9995. If you can get it for $8k, I'd feel better about it. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

How do you fit in it? They are a bit snug for some drivers.

Fine - I'm not a big guy - 5'11 and 160 lbs.
  • Options
    I just fit in the coupe, but HAD to have the power seat. The little bit of front leg tilt made all the difference for me. I believe the vert has less seat travel, so it would be a no-go for me (I don't like verts, anyway).

• Options
    biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    edited April 2018
    I will most likely be trading in my 2005 Touring Roadster tomorrow. Same colors as above, half the mileage, AT, original top (looks good).

No problem fitting in it. Very comfortable driver's seat. Passenger's seat, according to my husband, not as comfortable, but since I was always the driver, that wasn't a big concern to me. It was nearly always driven as a one-person car, anyway.

I never measured it, but both the driver's seat and the passenger's seat have quite a bit of seat travel. I know because every so often I move them both all the way forward to get into the bins in back, and then all the way back to clean the floor mats.
  • Options
    biancar said:
    I will most likely be trading in my 2005 Touring Roadster tomorrow. Same colors as above, half the mileage, AT, original top (looks good). No problem fitting in it. Very comfortable driver's seat. Passenger's seat, according to my husband, not as comfortable, but since I was always the driver, that wasn't a big concern to me. It was nearly always driven as a one-person car, anyway. I never measured it, but both the driver's seat and the passenger's seat have quite a bit of seat travel. I know because every so often I move them both all the way forward to get into the bins in back, and then all the way back to clean the floor mats.
    Thanks for the input!  Any complaints?  I’m seriously considering it. 
  • Options
    Only advice I would have is for you to test drive a 370Z and see if it's worth reaching a bit. I think in the U.S. the first year was 2009. The 370Z is considerably changed from the 350Z.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    370z coupe was in the running at the time I bought the Mustang. I never drove one, but they look nice.
  • Options
    370Z is 100% out of budget, so if I decide to wait and up the budget, I definitely will.

My wife has latched onto getting rid of the C300 now no matter what, so now I have to try and flip that too. 
  • Options
    Honestly I love it. I've loved driving it. I'm the only owner, bought it new in April of 2006. Very reliable. Only issue is that high-performance summer tires need replacing more quickly than you might think. I finally put on some Hankook all-weather tires and have been much happier. If you are an ordinary driver, not a track racer, I would highly recommend getting something like that rather than performance tires.

I'm only trading it in (on a 2016 Audi A5 Cabriolet, because my convertible-loving days are definitely not over) because 1) aging knees and back are telling me it's time to look to the future, and 2) (most important) the Audi can carry four people if needed on occasion, and the back seats fold down so I can carry our dog in his crate to training classes, the vet, whatever.

Life is too short to never own a red convertible. Go for it. You'll love it.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    corvette said:

370z coupe was in the running at the time I bought the Mustang. I never drove one, but they look nice.

I gave the 370Z NISMO a hard look before I bought my M235i; the 370Z's reputation for brake fade on the track gave me pause...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    That's a good point. "They" say that good brakes and suspension is worth at least 50 HP on the track.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    From the December 2017 issue of Car and Driver:

2009 Nissan NISMO 370Z
    During our fourth running of Lightning Lap, a 2009 Nissan NISMO 370Z ended up in the tire wall after suffering brake failure at 130 mph. We dug into why it happened and weren’t comforted by our findings: Nissan spec’d the NISMO’s brake pads for their low-noise and low-dust characteristics and not for track use. Nissan introduced optional high-performance pads for the Z within months of our crash. We tested those pads and discovered that, while they could endure 12 or so more stops from 100 mph than the stock pads, the brakes still failed after only 24 stops. The brakes on a Porsche 911 or Corvette of the era could survive 45-plus stops with minimal fade. Thinking that the brake fluid had boiled on our Z, we switched to a higher-temp fluid and pushed the point of failure to 35 stops. We surmised that in designing the Z, Nissan didn’t provide enough airflow to cool the brakes. We suggested upgrading the pads and fluid and adding brake-cooling ducts for trackbound Zs.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    fiftyfiv3fiftyfiv3 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2018
    Hi guys/gals, I hope you are well. I need a real-world trade in value of a 370z, info below:

Nissan 370z with Sport Package
    Silver exterior, Black interior
    15k miles
    Manual transmission
    Rear view camera
    Excellent condition
    SW CT

Thanks!
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    It's Z Week on the Trade-In thread...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    fiftyfiv3 said:

Hi guys/gals, I hope you are well. I need a real-world trade in value of a 370z, info below:

15k miles
    Manual transmission
    Rear view camera
    Excellent condition
    SW CT

Thanks!

SW CT? I could take a look at it for you @28firefighter

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    fiftyfiv3 said:

15k miles
    Manual transmission
    Rear view camera
    Excellent condition
    SW CT

Thanks!

I'm assuming it is a base model (not Touring or Nismo), and doesn't have any current needs, nor does it have any previous damage. About $18.5k.

• Options
    Ha, thanks @nyccarguy. About double my budget for right now.
  • Options
    creinardcreinard Member Posts: 9
    Hi folks...looking for real world trade in on ‘08 Subaru Outback 2.5xt automatic in Pittsburgh.   82k miles.
    Black interior/grey exterior 
    Second owner
    turbo replaced at 75k miles,  
    No nav.  

Thanks 
  • Options
    Well, I did indeed trade in my 2005 Z today, in exchange for a 2016 Audi A5 Cabriolet.  They gave me $6500 for the Z and came down $1,000 on their original price of $38,500 on the Audi.  I think that was a fair deal.  Not fantastic, but good.  Where they held the advantage was that the Audi had all three packages I wanted, included neckwarmer, which is very hard to find.  Plus it had walnut inlays.  Not essential but a nice touch.  So it was a couple thousand more than similar ones without the Comfort package and the trim.  

I think we both ended the transaction happy, and that's a good thing.
  • Options
    Man I would have paid more than 6500!  Alas. Wrong coast. 
  • Options
    I know.  If I had had the patience to advertise and let strangers come to the house and test-drive and so forth, I could have gotten a couple or three thousand more.  But I didn't want to go through that.  So  ease of trading it in vs selling it myself certainly cost me something.  Well, them's the breaks.  I just didn't want to do that.  If you had only been local...;-)
  • Options
    But here's a question to toss out to the crowd:  the dealer is now offering me various "Platinum" warranty packages to cover some maintenance, "Curb rash" on the wheels and tires, etc.  Three different packages, total cost a bit north of $7,000.  What comes with the car is the remainder of the original warranty (about 2 years, 3 months), plus another couple years up to 50,000 miles.  (it has 10,500 on it now.)

Are these things a good idea or not?  
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,328
    biancar said:

But here's a question to toss out to the crowd:  the dealer is now offering me various "Platinum" warranty packages to cover some maintenance, "Curb rash" on the wheels and tires, etc.  Three different packages, total cost a bit north of $7,000.  What comes with the car is the remainder of the original warranty (about 2 years, 3 months), plus another couple years up to 50,000 miles.  (it has 10,500 on it now.)

Gulp! $7000?

I'd pass, at that price. Would take a lot of dealer visits to spend that much, even at Audi prices.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Yes, you can buy just about any new tire and wheel package ever invented in all of history for less than $7,000 all-in. And that means all 4. I wouldn't worry about rash at that price.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    mgrmitchmgrmitch Member Posts: 30
    Hi All, Thanks in advance I need a real-world trade in value of my Accord.

Honda Accord EXL V6 V-tech with NAV and Honda Sensing
    White, Ivory interior
    32K miles
    Auto
    Tint and spoiler
    Excellent condition
    MA
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    biancar said:

The only thing you might consider is an extended warranty. Ask them the price to just add a couple of years.
    Not saying you should do that, but it would be good to get a number.

Since you have over two years of warranty left, you can judge how problematic the car is, over that amount of time. If it seems like too much, you can dump it in two years, and get something else.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    andres3 said:

Yes, you can buy just about any new tire and wheel package ever invented in all of history for less than $7,000 all-in. And that means all 4. I wouldn't worry about rash at that price.

It's not all for the tires. It breaks down like this (actually closer to $5400 than to $7,000, I was remembering incorrectly when I wrote last night).

Audi Warranty: $2885. - Platinum plan. $85 deductible for warranty-covered services. Covers the car until 2026. Picks up where the current warranty leaves off, basically. Covers all mechanical parts of the car, plus 24 hour roadside assistance, towing up to $100, Rental car reimbursement for $35 a day. (Some of this duplicates my AAA coverage.). Can be transferred to a private party for $50 if I sell, or it can be cancelled at any time.

Audi Care: $1149. No deductible. Covers until July, 2020. Covers service work, oil changes and such, all scheduled maintenance from 15,000 to 45,000 miles.

Tire and Wheel: $1371. Covers until 2023. Covers cosmetic repair, blowouts, nails, glass, curb damage, TPMS.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    biancar said:

andres3 said:

It's not all for the tires. It breaks down like this (actually closer to $5400 than to $7,000, I was remembering incorrectly when I wrote last night).

Audi Warranty: $2885. - Platinum plan. $85 deductible for warranty-covered services. Covers the car until 2026. Picks up where the current warranty leaves off, basically. Covers all mechanical parts of the car, plus 24 hour roadside assistance, towing up to $100, Rental car reimbursement for $35 a day. (Some of this duplicates my AAA coverage.). Can be transferred to a private party for $50 if I sell, or it can be cancelled at any time.

Audi Care: $1149. No deductible. Covers until July, 2020. Covers service work, oil changes and such, all scheduled maintenance from 15,000 to 45,000 miles.

Tire and Wheel: $1371. Covers until 2023. Covers cosmetic repair, blowouts, nails, glass, curb damage, TPMS.

AudiCare looks marked up... The price to add AudiCare to a new car is only $869.

Extended warranty: Until 2026? It's an 8 year warranty from now, on an already 2-yr-old car? That just seems unlikely. What is the upper mileage limitation?

Tire/wheel insurance is a good deal.. for the person that sells it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozen said:

That is quite high. Is it CPO? I think $36k-$36.5k for non-CPO and maybe $37.5k CPO.

Qbrozen, want to thank you for this comment. Gave me the confidence to ask for the $1,000 reduction and they gave it to me with virtually no back-and-forth. Done at $37,500, just like you said. Decent price for my trade, so happy deal all around.
  • Options
    creinard said:

Hi folks...looking for real world trade in on ‘08 Subaru Outback 2.5xt automatic in Pittsburgh.   82k miles.
    Second owner
    No nav.  

Thanks 

this is a Limited, right? About $6k-$6500

• Options
    Mgrmitch said:

White, Ivory interior
    32K miles
    Auto
    Tint and spoiler
    Excellent condition
    MA

You missed one REALLY important detail. BUT, I'll just assume it has 4 doors. So about $19k.

• Options
    qbrozen said:
    Second owner
    No nav.  

Thanks 
    this is a Limited, right? About $6k-$6500
    Yes.  2.5 XT Limited.  *Gulp*. Guess I’m better off selling it.  
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    creinard said:

Yes.  2.5 XT Limited.  *Gulp*. Guess I’m better off selling it.  

This would be a great private party sale for sure, especially if you have all of the records for it.
  • Options
    mgrmitchmgrmitch Member Posts: 30
    qbrozen said:

Mgrmitch said:

White, Ivory interior
    32K miles
    Auto
    Tint and spoiler
    Excellent condition
    MA

You missed one REALLY important detail. BUT, I'll just assume it has 4 doors. So about $19k.
    Sorry. It is a 4 door
  • Options

AudiCare looks marked up... The price to add AudiCare to a new car is only $869.

Extended warranty: Until 2026? It's an 8 year warranty from now, on an already 2-yr-old car? That just seems unlikely. What is the upper mileage limitation?

So you're of the opinion that it's not worth it, essentially? She didn't mention a mileage limit for the extended warranty, but that's not likely to be a problem. I'm retired, no long commutes to think about, just driving around for errand running, weekend jaunts, and travel between our home in Northern Virginia and a beach place in the Outer Banks. Maybe 5 to 7k a year on it. For long vacations we use our Volvo wagon.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

biancar said:

andres3 said:

My indy shop priced Audi Care on my car at about $650. I think that skips the first 5K service as that's covered by Audi. So it's the 15K, 25K, 35K, and 45K service. I just have a 4-banger though.
    I remember one service, I believe it's the $35K is about half the whole enchilada. That service includes DSG Oil change among other things. The rest is just motor oil and sometimes air/cabin filter changes.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    kyfdx said:

biancar said:

andres3 said:

My indy shop priced Audi Care on my car at about $650. I think that skips the first 5K service as that's covered by Audi. So it's the 15K, 25K, 35K, and 45K service. I just have a 4-banger though.
    I remember one service, I believe it's the 35K is about half the whole enchilada. That service includes DSG Oil change among other things. The rest is just glorified motor oil and sometimes air/cabin filter changes.
  • Options
    This would be a great private party sale for sure, especially if you have all of the records for it.
    Everything since I bought it.   Know anyone who’s looking?  LOL.  
  • Options
    Put a for sale sign in it and park it on Pitt’s campus in a central location. My guess is it would go quickly.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Heck, if I lived near there, I could be talked into it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguy said:
    Heck, if I lived near there, I could be talked into it!
    I was thinking the same about me. 
  • Options
    alise007alise007 Member Posts: 6
    Hi! We have 2 vehicles--48306-zip-Detroit burbs looking for trade in values.

2011 Honda Odyssey EXL 80,000 miles-- pretty good condition minus some scratches- paid off

2016 Subaru Outback Limited with Eyesight package/Adaptive Cruise, NAV 24,000 miles (36 mo 15k/yr lease) up in August. residual approx $21,500

Have discovered we need an AWD 3 row vehicle for winter/ski/mountain driving and all our gear and growing kids. Love my minivan for road trips but would prefer something a bit more winter hill friendly. The Outback isn't big enough to haul everything even with the roof rack for the ski gear much less bring a friend along.

Ideally-- since we are now spoiled with the fancy tech features on the Outback --we love the Adaptive Cruise Control-- we could find 2 vehicles to replace our current options. Would like a smaller commuter AWD vehicle like the Rogue, Crosstrek etc....and then something like the Traverse or Enclave AWD with Adaptive Cruise. But can't make the numbers work. Willing to lease again for the 3 row vehicle but was quoted $575 for the Traverse that didn't even have the ACC option. -$50/month if we can get an Executive Referral GM with the conquest lease discount. We qualify for a supplier discount and conquest currently. Ascent isn't out til July for comparison. It looks like most Demo deals are FWD and no extras. May have to suck it up for 2 years before the High Country/Avenir trims come off leases. They have a decent size 3rd row and more cargo space behind the 3rd row. Would like to not go over $500/month total.

Pay off the small commuter car quickly (5-7k balance depending on Honda trade in value) and then in about 3 years we will have our first kid driving so we can hand over a gently used car and repeat that process 2 years later for the 2nd kid. OR maybe we are looking at this the wrong way.....better plan/idea?
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,328
    alise007 said:

Hi! We have 2 vehicles--48306-zip-Detroit burbs looking for trade in values.

2011 Honda Odyssey EXL 80,000 miles-- pretty good condition minus some scratches- paid off

2016 Subaru Outback Limited with Eyesight package/Adaptive Cruise, NAV 24,000 miles (36 mo 15k/yr lease) up in August. residual approx $21,500

Have discovered we need an AWD 3 row vehicle for winter/ski/mountain driving and all our gear and growing kids. Love my minivan for road trips but would prefer something a bit more winter hill friendly. The Outback isn't big enough to haul everything even with the roof rack for the ski gear much less bring a friend along.

Ideally-- since we are now spoiled with the fancy tech features on the Outback --we love the Adaptive Cruise Control-- we could find 2 vehicles to replace our current options. Would like a smaller commuter AWD vehicle like the Rogue, Crosstrek etc....and then something like the Traverse or Enclave AWD with Adaptive Cruise. But can't make the numbers work. Willing to lease again for the 3 row vehicle but was quoted $575 for the Traverse that didn't even have the ACC option. -$50/month if we can get an Executive Referral GM with the conquest lease discount. We qualify for a supplier discount and conquest currently. Ascent isn't out til July for comparison. It looks like most Demo deals are FWD and no extras. May have to suck it up for 2 years before the High Country/Avenir trims come off leases. They have a decent size 3rd row and more cargo space behind the 3rd row. Would like to not go over $500/month total.

Pay off the small commuter car quickly (5-7k balance depending on Honda trade in value) and then in about 3 years we will have our first kid driving so we can hand over a gently used car and repeat that process 2 years later for the 2nd kid. OR maybe we are looking at this the wrong way.....better plan/idea?

Is the Subaru a 2.5 or a 3.6?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Sooo...one of the needs is a smaller AWD commuter vehicle. Sounds like an Outback. So why are you looking to get out of that lease early?

• Options
    alise007alise007 Member Posts: 6
    2.5 Outback I forget they also have the bigger engine!