Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2016 Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    All my numbers include destination btw.
  • Options
    springbokspringbok Member Posts: 13
    Just to clarify that I am on the east coast of Florida, zip is 33473, do apologize for not giving you the zip. I am also amenable to drive south into Broward county to purchase. Do you think it is better deals will be available once the 2017 is released ? Also any thoughts on your opinion about a low mileage certified used van?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Oops, I'm directionally challenged and read your post as SW Florida.

The True Market Value average price paid for your zip is $32,210, so about $50 less. Forgot to give you the link yesterday, but you can click here and play with the neighboring areas zip codes. I doubt that TMV will vary all that much though.

I think deals will get a bit better. I just saw a quote for an Accord for 18% off MSRP (although in a more aggressive area). But you are already getting numbers of 16% off and that's very good.

The problem with waiting is that your selection gets worse.

I'm not a huge fan of CPO cars. A lot depends on the dealer. The main advantage of them is that the manufacturer usually extends the warranty or offers roadside assistance or loaner cars or other perks. Many dealers skip over the 175 point inspections and don't bring the CPO cars up to snuff. I certainly wouldn't buy a CPO car unless it was a Honda backed CPO - no third party or dealer backed CPOs for me thank you. Not worth it imo.
  • Options
    mak101mak101 Member Posts: 10
    I am in 73101, and looking for better deal on 2016 model. I am ready to drive up-to 500-700 miles if I can get better deal. I checked with local dealers but I dont get anything less than 34K. Can somebody please help me to teach to find a deal. Thanks.
  • Options
    $34k? Are you shopping an EX-L?
  • Options
    mak101mak101 Member Posts: 10
    stever said:

$34k? Are you shopping an EX-L?

Yes EX-L
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Here's a recent post from SW Wisconsin with a quote for an EX-L for $31,477 before taxes and fees.

We've been seeing some good deals in Texas, mostly Dallas but some in Houston, for Hondas lately. Not sure what the problem up your way is. In fact, the TMV average for your zip is $32,008 but your dealers must have missed that memo.

Maybe your $34k is an out the door price?

• Options
    wordbotwordbot Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2016
    I am shopping for EX-L base (no RES and Navi). I live in Herndon VA. Conducted extensive research with car dealers in 50 miles radius.

I am getting OTD of $32500 with VA tax (4.1%) and 1 year regisrration. 900 freight and 599 processing

is $32500 a good OTD price?
  • Options
    Yeah, your selling price before the taxes and fees is a bit under $30,000. That's $3,856 under invoice and ~19% under MSRP. It's a great deal.
  • Options
    vinnygvinnyg Member Posts: 77
    Use this as a guide to making your purchases:
    http://tellmethebest.com/honda.html
    Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down.
  • Options
    wordbotwordbot Member Posts: 2
    stever said:
    Yeah, your selling price before the taxes and fees is a bit under $30,000. That's $3,856 under invoice and ~19% under MSRP. It's a great deal.
    Thanks
  • Options
    rajofin1rajofin1 Member Posts: 1
    wordbot said:

I am shopping for EX-L base (no RES and Navi). I live in Herndon VA. Conducted extensive research with car dealers in 50 miles radius.

I am getting OTD of $32500 with VA tax (4.1%) and 1 year regisrration. 900 freight and 599 processing

is $32500 a good OTD price?

Hi wordbot - I live an Ashburn VA and unfortunately have to start looking for Odyssey as my old car got totalled in accident. I am also focussing on Base EXL. Can you share who/dealer gave you the best quote? Also, if you want we can buy together making the dealer reduce more to buy 2 EXLs
  • Options
    kfernandokfernando Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2016
    Just booked one in dfw area.. dealer did not have the color i was interested in.. below are the details..
    After coming home just saw online blog were it says 2017 is hitting the dealership on the 19th.. wondering if i should wait for a week and see if honda throws in any additional offers..

2016 - EXL base version
    Before tax: 29487.04
    with Dealer addons- 31457.04(stripe, edge guard, tire lock, fabric protector, etc..)
    OTD: 33857
  • Options
    Sounds like inventory is getting thin. I'd probably wait since the color choice isn't "optimal" without even looking at the numbers. Do those add-on's include the tax?
  • Options
    well most of the dfw dealers got new 2016 yesterday and today.. I was looking for white and the dealer 25 miles away told me he is getting inventory today morning and he had one today but i was not able to travel 25 miles... also the dealership i went to had a black brand new with the covers on them.. 50 miles on the odo... yea the addons are with tax.. Also the fact that the dealer offered to pick me up(~25 miles away) makes me wonder are they desperate to get rid of 2016....
    I am thinking of calling them on Monday and asking for a quote of 2017..
  • Options
    csaket_csaket_ Member Posts: 43
    Hi there

What would be a price to target for 2016 EX-L base without anything added FWD for DFW?

Thanks
  • Options
    efe0961efe0961 Member Posts: 3
    Hi
    I bought 2016 Odyssey SE . $33,300. (60 month) . It is out door price. Is it a good deal?
  • Options
    csaket_ said:

Hi there

What would be a price to target for 2016 EX-L base without anything added FWD for DFW?

Thanks

Most of the dealer i talked to in north dallas was ready to sell for 34k OTD(including tax, title)... but if the new 2017 odyssey gets to dealer tomorrow i am thinking they might go even lower...
  • Options
    vinnygvinnyg Member Posts: 77
    Latest Honda inventory levels:
    http://tellmethebest.com/hondainventory.html

2016 Odyssey
    LX
    EX
    SE
    EX-L
    EX-L RES
    Touring
    Touring Elite
    Total Sticker (MSRP + 900 Destination)
    Invoice (1)
    Less: Holdback (2)
    Dealer Cost before incentives (3)
    Tell Me The Best price (4)
    Summary: The 2016 Odyssey is the last year for this generation.  It will be replaced with a newly designed 2017 model.  Details are hard to find on an exact release date but new info we found says it is expected to be available in the Spring of 2017.  Most likely this will be announced in the March/April 2017 timeframe.  Supply for the 2016 model is average right now. Once the 2017 is announced supply will decrease.
    Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down.
  • Options
    abraham6abraham6 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Steve, I am planning to buy a Odyssey Touring. I live at 07054. I got a internet price for 36990 which said "All prices listed in this email exclude tax, title, documentation, locate, licensing fees, destination and accessories ."
    Can you please suggested me the best OTD price for a Touring?
  • Options
    That's a pretty good first number at first blush but they should have stuck the $900 destination in the internet price. So it's really $37,890 before TTL.

Invoice is $39,561, MSRP is $43,205 and the True Market Value for your zip is $38,383. All my numbers include the destination. :)

Your selling price quote is ~$1,600 below invoice and a bit better than 12% off MSRP.

I don't know your taxes and doc fees - my suggestion is to aim for at least 15% off MSRP and add the taxes on to that for an OTD target price. $36,274 in other words including the destination.
  • Options
    2016odyssey2016odyssey Member Posts: 1
    I'm at 68116, The lowest price I could get so far is $31886+$99 doc fee , before tax. Is this a good price?
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Is $33,300 OTD a good price for 2016 Odyssey SE?

Thanks
  • Options

I'm at 68116, The lowest price I could get so far is $31886+$99 doc fee , before tax. Is this a good price?
    Thank you!

The True Market Value average price paid for your area is about $800 below invoice.

You didn't say what style Odyssey you are shopping - EX-L?

I would look up the MSRP here and then subtract 10% off the MSRP and compare that number to your quote. If it's less, then shop harder. If it's more, say 12 to 14% off MSRP, then you are getting a good price.

• Options
    efe0961 said:

Thanks

Hi @efe0961, depends on your area and your taxes.

A good selling price for the SE varies from $1,000 to $1,500 off invoice and more. @2016odyssey's area isn't an aggressive market for buying but if you are in LA or some other areas of California or in DC/VA/MD, you could get as much as $3,000 off invoice.
  • Options
    mokri98mokri98 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I am new to these forums, however i have been a silent spectator for the past 3 weeks, now i felt its my turn to share the information.

I thank each and every one on this forum who gave wonderful ideas and also for sharing their successful stories for purchase.

I bought a Odyssey EXL - with RES (Deep Scarlet Pearl) last week.

The first dealer (Autonation, Sterling, VA) where i went - got the quote of OTD : $35,500

Then I googled about various Honda dealers in VA, and MD area. And had put one quote against another for the dealers, and finally got the OTD price for the same for :

$33,750 at Pohanka Honda of Fredericksburg,VA which is 62 miles from my home.

Hence, finally bought it from Pohanka Honda, Fredericksburg, VA.

However, the Pohanka at Frederickburg told me that I will get life time VA state inspections free, I later found out that i can do it in any Pohanka dealers near to me, so i am fine in this case.

In addition to that by default we get factory warranty for 3 years/24000 miles power train warranty.

Now its the turn with the finance guy:

He tried very hard to sell me his third party warranty (Ethos) for 2800$ with 100$ deductible for 6 years.

As i have already gathered some information about warranty from this group, i contacted Hyannis Honda prior to buying the vehicle and got the quote.

I showed the finance guy the quote from Hyannis honda and asked him to match it. He was stunned on seeing the prices from Hyannis Honda and finally after long fight he agreed to give me the warranty of Honda Care for 8 years with 0 deductible for 1240$ (he said he wanted atleast 50$ profit) so i went for it since it is added along with the vehicle finance.

The quote i got from Hyannis for 8 year, 0 deductible is: $1185.

Final price breakdown:

Honday Odyssey : EXL + RES
    Vehicle price: 31741.13 + 123 (wheel locks) + 168.87 (splash guards) = 32033 (includes destination fee + wheel locks + splash guards)
    Processing fee: 599
    Sales tax: 1354.26 (virginia)
    purchasers online system filing fee: 10
    title: 10
    tags: 47.75

total OTD: 34054.74
    Honda Care warranty(8 yrs - 100,000 miles + 0 deductible): 1240 + tax: 1277 (included in finance)
  • Options
    bogle1109bogle1109 Member Posts: 1
    Vehicle just purchased in Northern California:

Trim: EX-L
    Vehicle Price (inc destination): $30,832
    Doc, license, all other fees: $850
    Taxes: $2,466
    OTD: $34,150

Dealer also threw in all-season floor mats, trunk mat, wheel locks and mudflaps.
  • Options
    I'm at 68116, The lowest price I could get so far is $31886+$99 doc fee , before tax. Is thi
    stever said:

Thank you!

The True Market Value average price paid for your area is about $800 below invoice.

I would look up the MSRP here and then subtract 10% off the MSRP and compare that number to your quote. If it's less, then shop harder. If it's more, say 12 to 14% off MSRP, then you are getting a good price.

Yes, for EX-L. and another dealer has just offered me $31169, including all fees before tax, but takes me 2 hours driving. is it worth?
    Thank you!
  • Options
    stever said:

Thank you!

By the way Steve, when you mentioned "12 to 14% off MSRP" is this price an OTD price?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    @mokri98, well done!

@bogle1109, congrats to you too!

Thanks both for posting your buying info.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @2016odyssey, yeah, I'd drive that far to save ~$800. If that's four hours round trip, I'd want to get the VIN and put a (refundable) deposit down on my credit card so that the van will be there when I get there.

But I like to drive - we just did 5 hours today to get upstate for two overnights so we'll wind up driving ~14 hours just for a quickie road trip and I'll probably blow $800 for gas, food and lodging and "souvenirs". Not to mention we drove in the rain and a bit of snow & ice today. :)

Oh, we don't track taxes and fees so my percentage off MSRP rule of thumb is before that stuff. Taxes you can't avoid but there are a lot of junk fees that you need to watch out for. Most of the dealer fees are just extra profit.
  • Options
    stever said:

efe0961 said:

Thanks

Hi @efe0961, depends on your area and your taxes.

A good selling price for the SE varies from $1,000 to $1,500 off invoice and more. @2016odyssey's area isn't an aggressive market for buying but if you are in LA or some other areas of California or in DC/VA/MD, you could get as much as $3,000 off invoice.
    Thanks for your response

I live in Maryland. $33,300 is what I paid, including MD tax, title, dealer fees
  • Options
    Sweet, congrats!
  • Options
    KMS_ClevelandKMS_Cleveland Member Posts: 25
    @mokri98 - Can you send me the sales person you worked with?

I am working on the same vehicle in Ohio and this is the best off so far:

$33016 sales price
    $250 documentation fee
    $2,245.46 tax
    $33.50 tag/title fee

$35,544.96 OTD
  • Options
    Thanks a lot Stever! Iwill be visiting a few dealership today and keep this forum posted on the information i collect
  • Options
    mycarcoolmycarcool Member Posts: 3
    Hello Stever, do you know if there will be any good deal for odyssey exl between now and the end of the year, since the 2018 odyssey will debut on Jan. 9, 2017. My zip code 11720, NY (long island). I got a quote back in Oct., with an OTD ~$34950 for basic exl model. I'm wondering if the price will be better between the Christmas and the New Year. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Ah, you found a date for the new version to go on sale? (I have trouble keeping up). And they are going to skip a year and go right to the 2018s? We just say the new one will be a 2017.

The end of the year is usually the best time to get a deal on a new car. Current incentives for most Hondas go through 1/3/17 so it's possible that you could even get a deal on the 2nd or 3rd. But maybe not. :)

The other issue is how much inventory is in your area. More is better for getting deals. Looks like plenty up your way.

For a target price, look at the MSRP and try to aim for 15 to 20% off MSRP. $30,150ish would be around 15% off, and then add in your taxes. Since TMV is around $32,700 for your zip, I'd think 15% would be doable.

• Options
    mycarcoolmycarcool Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Stever. I did a google search. It looks like 2018 Odyssey will debut on Jan 9, 2017 at Detroit Auto Show and will probably be on sale in the summer of 2017. It will have a lot of improvements, but the summer of 2017 is still half a year away. It will be sweet if 2016/2017 Odyssey will be on clearance/at discounted price for now.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for that @mycarcool - that's a good show, wanted to hit the LA one this year but life interfered. Live too far from Detroit now to see the Ody debut.

It gets harder for the automakers to sell the "old" style when the word gets out about the latest and greatest, so yeah, good chance that the incentives will get even better.
  • Options
    loic2016loic2016 Member Posts: 1
    2016 Odyssey SE, purchased at DCH Honda Mission Valley, San Diego CA
    OTD: $32,500

I used this forum to estimate that 32K was a good OTD price for the SE. Through my credit union I could have gotten the car for 33.5K OTD. I emailed the San Diego dealerships told them I was about to get my car through credit union but my dream OTD price was 32K. One came back with 32.5K OTD and that sealed the deal.

Thanks a lot for the members on this forum and stever the moderator
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Very cool, congrats @loic2016!

Too bad I'm not closer, you could take me to the Hob Nob Hill and I'd buy breakfast. :)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,595
    stever said:

Very cool, congrats @loic2016!

Too bad I'm not closer, you could take me to the Hob Nob Hill and I'd buy breakfast. :)

Hey! I've had breakfast, there!

Also, Zanzibar downtown is good for breakfast (assuming it's still there).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thank you stever!
  • Options
    @KMS_Cleveland,

i sent you a private message regarding the sales consultant, please check.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,505
    mokri98 said:

@KMS_Cleveland,

i sent you a private message regarding the sales consultant, please check.

You are welcome to post dealer and salesman names, just no contact info.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    @michaell,

thanks for the input....
  • Options
    Hi Stever,
    I am trying hard to work out a deal. The price i am getting are fairly high. The best deal i got so far was 36080 for a touring which included destination. Only additional was taxes,6.35% for CT, 399 dealership fees and 185 document fees. They only had a silver on truffle. I prefer a beige... I am still working out to see if i can get a really good deal in NJ. Please do let me know how do you think of the offer i got on the touring. Thez ip is 06051.
  • Options
    Hm, I'm seeing $1,000 off invoice for the TMV for your zip. (TMV is $38,541). Looks like you are over $3,000 off invoice.

MSRP with destination is $43,205 and your quote is ~16% off MSRP.

Yeah, they are expensive vans but your quote looks good from here. Am I missing something or are you really hungry for a 20% off deal? There may be one out there, but maybe only in VA/DC/MD.
  • Options
    odssy2016odssy2016 Member Posts: 1
    HI Stever.. was looking at EX-L Odessey 2016, in 27560 zipcode, the best i have been able to get so far is, 32,027 plus addons. 699 dealer fees.. how does this sound to you.

vk
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Hi @odssy2016, welcome.

MSRP is $36,950, Invoice is $33,971 the True Market Value average price paid for your area is $32,141, which is about 13% off MSRP.

So your quote is just average, and your doc fees are about $650 too high.

If that's the best you can do around Raleigh/Durham, I'd rather see you get some quotes up around DC or at least Richmond. My feeling is that you can get the selling price down to $31,500 with fees.