Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,277
    I agree, I checked them out at the Auto Shows and was disappointed that there was no height adjust for the belts.

Being Volvo, maybe they found fault with the feature and chose to omit it, or maybe it was just a cost cutting move... :(

I've driven a few S60's with the T6 and it is a great car, the engine is a gem. Very underrated ride IMO. I wish Volvo would offer the V60 here. The XC60 is really nice but I'm a wagon guy :D
  • fintailfintail Posts: 45,479
    Yet another new ES, and a homely Sonata hybrid with no lights on - looks better in the dark, I will say that much :shades:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Sonata and Accord hybrid/PHEVs don't look as good as the conventional models.

I think manufacturers try too hard to distinguish them.

Camry hybrid outsells both combined, and it's stealthy (looks "normal").
    And knowing their collective styling knack. At least Toyota knows to keep it subtle - if only they could have done so for the Avalon's face. All attention isn't good attention, some of these cars are going to look even worse in another decade.

Brand new unplated still spotless 5-door Kia Forte in the workplace parking garage. I think that design looks awkward compared to the Elantra GT.
    edited January 2013
    Avalon sales are exceeding expectations, and that's with the same old same old powertrain.

The markets' tastes don't line up with yours.

Forte is getting a re-do right around now, was it the brand new one? I'm not even sure if those are out yet.
    Exceeding expectations, or exceeding sales of the 2012 model which no doubt sold less than previous models, as the devotees were waiting for the new one? I know the 2012 was involved in a massive fleet dump. I still haven't seen one of the dual grille gaping maw models in person.

I haven't seen a credible source claiming the Avalon is a nice design. Even if it sells (which it will, it's a Japanese Buick, and aging boomers love Toyota), doesn't make it good design.

I think the "new" Forte will be a 2014 model, the one I saw was a current one.
    edited January 2013
    I've seen TONS, but then again Jim Coleman Toyota is about 2 miles from my house.

I haven't seen a credible source claiming the Avalon isn't a nice design

No source is credible to you, so I'll flip that right back at ya!
    edited January 2013
    TONS of the new model? What expectations is it exceeding?

Nice debate tactic. Are you insinuating the Avalon's face is even passably decent design? Hell, I can't find ANY source calling that maw a piece of good design, even noted devils advocate/underdog embracers/instigators won't say it directly :shades:
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    edited January 2013
    Not on point so much, but there's a shift starting to happen. Gen Y styling?

"The power that U.S. baby boomers have exercised for nearly 50 years over the auto industry is starting to wane—finally.

Luxury car makers aren't the only ones chasing the Gen X/Gen Y bulge. Toyota Motor Corp. which rode the loyalty of baby boomer buyers to astounding success in the U.S. from the 1970s on, is turning its full attention to the rising generations. In Detroit, Toyota showed a sneak preview of the new design for its journeyman Corolla compact sedan, a mainstay for thrifty-minded boomers. The new look displayed by the Furia concept car is a flashy, overt appeal to kids who grew up on the "Fast and Furious" movie franchise.

Global brands such as Mercedes, BMW and Audi are finding that the young, newly rich in markets such as China or Latin America want vehicles that are more compact, efficient and sporty than the big limos the older cadres drive. The opportunity they hope to seize is to sell technology-laden, compact luxury vehicles to both young Chinese strivers and successful young consumers in the U.S."

Auto Makers Look Past Baby Boomers (Wall St. Journal)
    Avalon was up 66.3% in December.

I prefer the Fusion's inverted version of that grille, but it's not that bad.

It's certainly not X6/Panamera/Juke/Odyssey ugly, not even close.
    It was up because nobody (but Enterprise Holdings) was buying the aging soon to be replaced model last year. See Lexus GS.

I can actually deal with the Odyssey most out of that list, for some reason. It's a van, so it can get away with some ugly/weird more than something with sporty pretenses.
    I don't know if that explains the ugly dual grille, but it might explain some of the dopey anime styling out there. A tough generation to catch in the west, seeing as for the most part, they are worse off than their boomer predecessors.

No doubt wooing well-connected Chinese embezzlers and similar coddled crowds will be profitable.
  • berriberri Posts: 8,800
    Looks are definitely a personal thing. But I saw a new Avalon up close a few weeks ago while getting an oil change. To me at least, it looked better than the pictures appeared. I didn't find it gorgeous, but it wasn't outright ugly either. It also gives a buyer a lot for the money, so I can understand it's initial success.
    It's perfectly inoffensive and pleasant enough, so long as you don't look at the front below the windshield :shades:
  • berriberri Posts: 8,800
    In all fairness, the big mouth bass look seems to becoming the standard front end on many new vehicles. As I said before, cars are being influenced by designer craziness like in 1958!
    Generally I haven't liked that large mouth bass look - Audi, then the EVO, then VW (strange), then seemingly everyone.

The market seems to like it, though.

Never poll enthusiasts to find out what car would sell. If they asked us, you'd build a diesel-only station wagon that only came with a manual transmission. Then they would proceed to sell 2 of them, to you and me.
    First saw an Altima, and at first I thought it was a Maxima. Good job with the family resemblance, IMHO.

Then a saw a new Sentra, first out on the roads, and it fits in too. It does look like a car from a higher price class.

Nissan has done well with its new sedans, I think.
    At least MB and BMW haven't really done it yet, I guess.

Just more to prove how designers are copycat sycophants, maybe not unlike 1958 when the solution for almost everyone was simply to add gingerbread.
    The new Accord and Altima both look more expensive than they are - and look a notch fancier than Camry, too.

Sentra had to be an improvement, old one was a fun combination of ancient and cheap.
    The old Sentra was so dated. My wife had a loaner and she preferred the Kia Rio loaner she had previously. The old Kia Rio. At least the Rio was light and tossable.
    I think in the last year or two, it must have sold only to fleets. Outclassed by pretty much all of the competition. It's funny that on a cheap or mainstream car, a little chrome can do a lot.

Oh, saw a Buick Verano, which has a profile somewhat similar to a Sentra.
    The redesign likely got more than chrome, but I have to see one in person before my final verdict.

DC Auto show is 2 weeks away!
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 4,667
    I sat in a few at he dealership and was quite impressed...it's a nice little driver! So nice that I would consider buying another after the lemon '03 that I had and sold right before the 3/36k was up...gremlins the dealers couldn't fix. But the new one is so much better and comfortable to boot..fits in well with the family siblings.

Saw a pic of the new Forte and it looked a lot like a small Ford Fusion as I recall...prefer the current model except the horrid dash layout...with all the hard plastics it just is not something I'd want to face year after year personally. I do like the 5 door concept though and since our great luck with my kid's Hyundai Accent, I'd have no problem going with a Kia. As I've mentioned in another forum, the only domestic brand I'd buy right now is the Buick Verano. Except for the poor vision out the rear with the headrests in place, I was extremely impressed without even taking a test drive. Comfortable seating with great ergonomics and controls right where they should be...I just felt so comfortable and at home in that car that if things were different, I'd sigh the papers today and trade my beloved Civic! It's that good!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

I'm more of a hatch guy. The Versa Note looks better than the Versa sedan, but the latter is so cheapened and I'm afraid to check out the Note.

Should be dirt cheap, though.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 29,077
    Philly show is tomorrow! Even expanded it again this year (after expanding it last year, up 100K SF since 2011).

Even better, scored 2 free tickets thanks to friends in high places at SOA.

first time in about 5 years too that my son is going with me. If he can manage to find a job in May when he graduates college, that will be the next sales story from my clan.

he is already online looking. I try to point out that maybe he should be job looking first, but that has not seem to sunk in yet. Chip off the old block!

2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

I worked the day after my graduation.

A short break isn't bad...but get the job first!
  • lemkolemko Philadelphia, PAPosts: 15,302
    ...dark blue Cadillac XTS travelling west on Napfle Street near Verree in NE Philly.
    I took about 6 weeks off, didn't start looking til about a month before. Of course, the Y2K malaise economy was like a 1950s boom compared to now.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 19,568
    edited January 2013
    This is old car week in Arizona when the big name car auctions come to town to show off the collectibles. T5here's plenty of new metal to be seen as well, either driven by well-heeled prospective buyers or being shown at the auctions.

So far I've seen:

-Jag XJ, these are really big especially if you look at their size compared to the big Jags of yore. Looked great in dark green, not so much in snow white.

-Audi A7, same deal, the white one I saw didn't look that good for a new Audi but then I saw a metallic grey one, niiice!

-Porsche (981) Boxster S, looks even nicer than in photos, it actually looks smaller than older models by a little but lines are more agressive. Me want!

-McLaren MP-4 Something, Something-C. I saw one last year and wasn't that impressed but this year they were showing off a copper colored coupe and a dark grey Spider. Both looked (and sounded) great.

No new Corvettes so far but everywhere you go you see new Pony Cars- Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers all seem equally popular.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

New Escape has turned up in my parking garage at home. Also saw a late model Maserati Quattroporte going ~35 with the windows down (temperature per my car's readout was 34F).