Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Quality Control Issues

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I'm not the only one who has hollared BUNK at your misinformation.

Sorry...you lose, again!

You are correct...the readers are perfectly capable of figuring out the truth for themselves.
  • anselmo1anselmo1 Member Posts: 163
    This is about Honda quality control issues, not arguments among fellow readers. Documentation at the NHSTA is well documented isellhondas. In addition, I suggest you read Honda Accord Problems Part I and II right here at Edmunds.

I suggest you read some of the complaints before you criticize others. It seems you are in the minority here isellhondas.
  • jims55jims55 Member Posts: 9
    I see no big problem with the V6 auto transmission. If everyone who posted here in the last four years had his transmission replaced, That is still less than one half of one percent of the Accords sold in the last four years. My 2000 Accord V6 has 13,000 miles and has been mechanically perfect since day one.
  • lugwrenchlugwrench Member Posts: 213
    I like the work "shill" which describes isellhondas to a tee. The V-6 Accord transmission has been reported numerous times here at Edmunds as well as www.Honda-Acura.net.

Remember, the guy is a salesman and he has his own opinions on V-6 Accords since he sells them.
    Just imagine a customer walking into a Honda dealership and isellhondas refusing to sell him a V-6 Accord. Come on, the guy is a "salesman" and would sell anything to make his vaunted commission.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Honestly, I think this whole tranny thing has been blown out of proportion; your tone regarding isell's chosen occupation is narrow-minded, snobby, and crass to say the least. This guy works on commision. That means, if he doesn't do his job perfectly, he doesn't have money for the mortgage and to put food on the table. Can you say the same thing about your job? I'm not in sales, but I have sympathy for those who work in a high pressure sales environment when they have to deal with people who automatically see the sales process as adverserial rather than mutually beneficial. If you're representative of the typical customer people like Isell has to deal with day in and day out, then God bless him, because he obviously has the patience of Mother Theresa. Get off your high horse before you hurt yourself.
    Well...thank you for your support.

Mr. lugwrench,

You also work on commission. If you don't do your job and do it fairly well, you will be fired.

You are dedicated to spreading your opinion that Hondas are bad cars with constant problems.

Please continue...you are pretty amsuing!
  • paulo3paulo3 Member Posts: 113
    I have owned Hondas since 1980 and have had very good luck with them all except one! The one in question is a 1999 Accord V-6 that has gone through TWO transmissions!

It has been in my mind a lemon to say the least. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I am not the only one that has had the same type of problem.

By the way, I have read many of the replies from isellhondas on the various topics here in Edmunds and I must say he seems 50% knowledgeable and 50% salesman bulls#&. Sorry, I call them as I see them.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions when I set up this topic. I don't feel that there are any Honda "bashers" posting but to be implied as one is another story.

Let's keep this topic civil and please dispense with all the personal attacks. The issue is Honda Quality Assurance issues and let's keep it at that.
  • dash400mdash400m Member Posts: 55
    I hope that you have the opportunity to test drive the S-2000 on the loop. I'd like to hear it scream at 9000rpm!

Two quick questions... and I don't want to stray too far from the "Honda Quality" topic. 1) I see that you're a Toyota owner. How do like/rate the Camry and Avalon with the Accord? 2) Did you ever test drive the '96/'97 Supra (3.0L@330hp)? If so, was it as wicked as I want to believe? Are there any other Toyota owners that care to comment?

Thanks.
    Every time you post something, I laugh out loud. Usually I run off to put the hip boots on before I read your posts.
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    What was THAT supposed to mean?

Besides your personal attack on IsellHonda, what do you bring to the conversation? Perhaps experience with a sample of one vehicle and a lot of opinions, based on ..... what exactly?

Apparently waste gas from the busy little turbo in your head...
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you should be able to support it with something other than insults, if you want it to have any value.

IsellHonda sees hundreds of Hondas during the course of a year; he's admitted that there have been problems with certain parts; he's been honest about that.

I hate to fall back to the old "where are some statistics to back up what you're saying?" argument, but until you produce them, you are the one that has to be considered wrong.
  • daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    Although Isellhondas may have a professional interest in Honda, he is up-front about it and his posts have seemed resonable and accurate, as far as I can tell. Mr. lugwrench, OTOH, is outspoken and obviously biased againt Honda, yet his agenda and motivation are unclear. According to his profile, he drives a Toyota. Is he an unorthodox competitor? A dissatisfied previous Honda owner? A disgruntled Honda employee?

Forums such as this are an entertaining and sometimes useful means of obtaining and exchanging information but, unfortunately, it can be difficult to discern the truth. A few people with an agenda can easily mislead others, at least for awhile. That someone has posted a bad experience, no matter how egregious, is not by itself an indication of a problem. Even several people who seem to have similar problems may represent anamolous failures rather than a trend. Are posts in separate forums different events or the same person posting under different names? We, as forums readers and participants, must remember that we have no way to discern the veracity or motivation the author and we must independently verify EVERYTHING.

Since I'm considering the purchase of an Acura with auto-transmission, I was concerned when I first began reading these forums, but other than the '99 problem covered under a TSB, I've only found anecdotal evidence of anything more insidious and there is that pesky credibility issue regarding forum posts. After investigating how the Honda transmission design differs from others, I expect it to sound different when shifting to or from reverse so perhaps some people have been influenced by forum suggestions to believe that that difference is an indication of a problem.

In any case, keep a big grain of salt handy as you browse internet forums and be careful that you do not repeat information that you do not KNOW to be true.
  • jims55jims55 Member Posts: 9
    I value everyones input here. Personal attacks serve no useful purpose.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Not only that, if the host sees any more flames (ANY personal comments), he will be forced to delete topics and warn posters about possible probation or removal from the Boards.

Okay, so some people think there IS a major problem here and some don't. Let's keep digging at FACTS and other websites that might support each conclusion. People come here for information and friendship, not to read arguments.

So please don't empty the room on this interesting discussion.

Thank you, all Town Hall members who called for courtesy!

Mr. Shiftright
    Host
    Maintenance and Repair, Sportscars and Classics Boards
    This is a great topic here and I enjoy reading the diverse comments. It seems that it is two armed camps pitting itself against each other here.

A lot of points have been covered here that have been beneficial in my estimation. Let's keep the ball rolling!
  • amers3amers3 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I'm new here but I've read so many of the messages regarding the v-6 Accord transmission problems, and I've got a question. Has anyone who's had the transmission replaced due to this problem STILL have the problem???? Mine is a '00 V-6 made in August of '99, and she has the shudder. I've taken it in numerous times to the dealership and about a year ago they replaced the torque converter. That didn't help so a few months ago they replaced some kind of computer. That did absolutely no good so my husband and I kept taking it back and finally they agreed to replace the transmission, which they did last Monday/Tuesday. However, the problem is still there!!! It seems to have gotten worse over the past 2 or 3 months and I was hoping the tranny replacement would fix her 100%!! Is it possible there's something else wrong? Maybe they didn't replace the transmission, but only the torque converter again? Is there a way I can check to see if it's a new tranny? Any ideas?? I'm tired of taking it back to the dealership!
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    What are the symptoms and when do they occur? Most of the shudder problems I read about happened at certain speeds with converter locked. This true with yours? Maybe it's not even a tranny problem. Was it your suggestion to the dealer to replace converter, TCM and eventually tranny or did they initiate these actions? Did they have to order these parts and did they have to call you in for service when they arrived?
    Should be fairly easy to see if you got a new tranny, the housing would be sparkling clean.
  • amers3amers3 Member Posts: 8
    The symptoms: while cruising around 55 MPH and slightly accelerating especially when there's a slight grade, the car seems to skip or jump repeatedly until either it goes down to 3rd or until I reach about 62 MPH. It's really the whole front end - you can feel it from the passenger side and even from the backseat. Lately it's been happening at higher speeds, even around 75/80. The dealer suggested the first two new parts, but after reading things posted on here, I asked for the new transmission. They did order the parts and called us back in for service... Where is the housing and what does it look like?
    The parts should be listed on the work order by the dealership that completed the work. Check your work order/ bill and call the parts department and ask them what each part is. Ask them if all the parts is a new transmission.

Talk to the service manager at the dealership and have him or her explain everything that was done to your transmission. Simply ask if the entire transmission was replaced.

It has been an ongoing problem on V-6 Accords since 1998 and the dealership is aware of all the TSB's regarding the topic.
  • dc_sports_ruledc_sports_rule Member Posts: 134
    Took a test drive in an S2000 and loved it. It roared just when I wanted it to. Unfortunately, the Honda salesman driving with me didn't let me open it up all the way. Didn't like the $2000.00 tacked onto the full list price though!

I own a Honda Accord, Toyota Camry and a 1968 MGC British Racing Green) which is fully restored. I show the C on weekends at various car shows. At these shows, I have the opportunity to talk to other car enthusiasts from all different age groups. Believe it or not, most drive Honda Accords, Toyota Camrys and VW Passats as their everyday driver.

Comparing the Accord and the Camry is pretty difficult as both cars have their own merits.

I keep seeing a Toyota Supra in the area that I live that is purple in color with the big rear spoiler. Always have wanted to talk to the owner and have a look at his car up close.

Just so you know, my Accord has a DC Sports stainless steel catback, DC Sports upper strut tower brace, and a K&N filter. My Camry will get a face lift soon with some TRD parts starting with the exhaust.

Now you know where I have derived my nickname from. Love reading about Hondas here and in Honda Problems Part II at Edmunds. Cheers!
    I realize that I should have attempted to make my point by referring to TYPES of posts rather than individual posters.

My sincere apologies to anyone that I may have offended.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Accepted,and thank you for being big enough to apologize. Great Town Hall spirit!

Host
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    Are you sure it is not the grade control feature of the tranny? Honda's grade control is far from perfect and my '97 3.2TL exhibited all those symptoms you listed. But , only while going upgrade.
  • dash400mdash400m Member Posts: 55
    Well, it sounds like you have a classic with the MGC series. I remember the "B" series from the early 70's, and I also remember the "Midget."

You definitely should flag down that neigbor with the Supra. I may be wrong, but I believe the '96 was one of the fastest (0-60mph and top-end) production cars manufactured. Too bad Toyota stopped production.

So much for this topic -- it isn't Accord quality control. I better go, but in closing, I'll just say that I'm going to purchase a '71 N600 Sedan asap. Talk about power...
  • drv4fundrv4fun Member Posts: 16
    I have a 98 4cyl lx accord (58k miles) and after I had it serviced (60k miles service) at the dealership, on my way home, I saw white smoke coming off the exhaust. It eventually went away. 2 weeks later, the check engine light goes on and the dealer ended changing the catalytic converter and charged me for the install. Has anyone seen this problem before? I hope my engine is ok!
  • drv4fundrv4fun Member Posts: 16
    I have a 98 4cyl lx accord (58k miles) and after I had it serviced (60k miles service) at the dealership, on my way home, I saw white smoke coming off the exhaust. It eventually went away after a few minutes. It happened again the next day for a couple of minutes.
    2 weeks later, the check engine light goes on and the dealer ended changing the catalytic converter and charged me for the install. Has anyone seen this problem before?
    I hope my engine is ok!
  • semezsemez Member Posts: 36
    Did anyone ever find a fix for the Side Air bag light going on and off on the 2000 V6 Accords. I keep getting a stupid response from the dealer. Like don't worry about it its normal for that to occur... Honda must hire service people with IQ's of less than 5...
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    Don't you love it when a dealer says something is normal when any one with a brain knows it's not. As I understand it if the light is on that means the side airbag will not deploy. On my '01 it would go off and on if someone would lean against the door or a lighter person was in the seat. Sounds like yours is a different issue. Insist they fix it, it is a safety issue. Good luck
  • pilotownerpilotowner Member Posts: 51
    Anselmo... Can you give me the name of the place in NJ that you took your Accord to in order to get the sunroof finally fixed?
    Thanks
    Are you the one who let the interior get wet? If so, has it completely dried out? Leather would probably take a lot longer for the padding to dry than cloth.
    If you're not the one, then you probably got a problem that needs to be fixed. When that light is on your bags will not deploy. Not much good having them if they won't work if needed. Don't let the dealer "verbally" repair your car. Needs handson diagnosis. If it's a seat sensor repair will involve removing the upholstery. Hope that's not the case. Get it fixed and let us know what it was.
    Who has the better transmission in their V-6 models, the Accord or Passat in automatic?
  • katmandu1katmandu1 Member Posts: 2
    If you have something on the seat (purse, briefcase, groceries, etc.,) and it's not centered, the airbag light comes on. It's caused by a sensor in the seat cushion for the side airbag and designed to reduce injuries to someone sitting out of position on the seat.
  • katmandu1katmandu1 Member Posts: 2
    The time of year has little to do with where the cars come from. It has to do with the distribution system. As an example, you will never see a Japanese built V6. Why? The engines are US made. The transmissions are also US made for the V6 at the foundry in Anna, Ohio. Japanese Accords on the east coast? It happens, but it's usually to balance 4-cylinder production when V6 production is higher in the US.

There have been some discussions about paint issues. The paint used in North American plants is waterborne - required by EPA plant emissions standards. Has nothing to do with American vs. Japanese worker.
    BS. The V6 tanny's are japanese. Read the window sitcker.
    The Passat V-6 is more reliable than the V-6 Accord. On the other hand, I would take the I-4 Accord anyday over a Passat 4.
    OK, tell us...what are you basing this on?
    I agree with anselmo1's statement regarding the Passat V-6 over the Accord V-6. The V-6 Accord's transmission is not as reliable as the Passat V-6.

The Passat V-6 is also more costly than the Accord V-6. Some of them sticker for over 30K which is pretty expensive. Guess you pay for what you get.

Overall, the Passat V-6 has an excellent powertrain warranty as compared to the V-6 Accord. Passat's overall have some of the finest paint jobs you will ever see on a car.

isellhondas--I guess anselmo1 is stating that the I-4 is much more reliable than the V-6 Accord. I tend to agree.
    What is this, a rhetorical question? Yes the I-4 Accord is more reliable than the Passat 4 cylinder.
    How anybody could say that the VW V-6 is more reliable than the V-6 built by Honda. What are you basing your opinion on?

And I've never seen anything to indicate that the four cylinder Honda engine is "much more reliable" than the V-6.

Is this just your personal opinions or what?
    I would suggest you take a look at Consumer Reports (April, 2001 issue) or if you have access, the JP Powers survey on customer satisfaction.
    But I sure don't recall them saying the four cylinder was "much more reliable" than the V-6!
    I have tried to find the JP Powers survey on the internet. You have to subscribe to get the full listing. I guess only the car manufacturers can buy the priviledged information.

Car and Driver back a couple of years ago stated that the V-6 Passat was far better than their 4 cylinder model. In retrospect, I believe it is the other way around for the Honda Accord.

I have owned many Honda Accords over the years and the generation 6 Accord has to be the be the most disappointing when it comes to reliability. Honda is just producing to many Accords and it seems that their "Quaility Benchmark" is suffering.

It is true regarding the paint on the Japanese Accords, their paint quality is less likely to chip as they are not governed by the same EP standards as in the USA.
    I've never been a great fan of VW products but I've never found too many problems with the four cylinder engines. It's everything else that seems to fall apart. Especially anything electrical. The engines seem to run pretty well as a rule providing the battery isn't dead!
    I couldn't possibly think of any country worse for building automobiles than Mexico. When you think of Mexico, you do not think of quality in the auto industry.

Maybe this is why VW has problems with their new Beetle as well as the Jetta. Hope Honda doesn't think about moving or building a plant in Mexico.
    The Accord I-4 is far superior to the Passat 4 cylinder. The Passat in Consumer Reports only has an average reliability rating as compared to the Accord's which is excellent.

The Passat is made in Germany most likely by Turkish workers which are comparable to the Mexican VW workers. The Passat doesn't have the electrical problems that the Jetta and Beetle have encountered.

The paint on the Passat though I have to admit is outstanding. Like the 10 year 100,000 power train warranty also. Sure beats the 3 year 36,000 mile power train warranty on the Accord.
    Although Mexican stereotypes may not conjure an image of quality manufacturing, VW's reputation has not been so adversely affected as it was when they began building cars in the USA in the '70s.
    Big deal! If the car's going to nickel and dime you to death with electrical problems, burning oil, motors and sensors going south, most people probably won't even keep it that long. Doesn't make much sense to keep throwing hundreds of dollars in it just because you have a great powertrain warranty.
  • markz2kmarkz2k Member Posts: 112
    If you read the fine print, you'll discover that 10yr/100K powertrain warranty only applies to the original purchaser. Once it's sold (except to an immediate family member) the warranty drops to 5/50. So, after being nickle and dimed by electrical, CV joints, A/C, and all the other problems, you can't even use the 10/100 warranty as an incentive for someone else to buy it.

I had my experience with VW (Very Worst) in the early '80's with a new 1980 Rabbit. Worst POS ever. Customer service non-existant at best from VWoA. The (lack of) customer service is what will keep me from ever buying a VW again in my lifetime. So, I didn't even look at the passat at my local Honda/VW dealer when I bought my Accord last year. (They sell Honda and VW.)
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    I think it is unfair to write off one company based on your experience twenty years ago. Things change, you know. If I were to write off Honda because the '78 Accord I had went to rust heaven rather quickly,I would be the one to miss out on Honda's newest offerings. Having said that, I also agree that with so many choices available in the market today, it does not really matter if one were to write off one company. Especially if that experience left a bitter taste in your mouth.
    I know a guy who just retired from Paccar. According to him, the quality in their Mexican factories was equal to the U.S. plants.

He said those workers were carefully screened and well trained. They were happy to have jobs that paid a decent wage and the results showed.

Things can change, I guess...
This discussion has been closed.