Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome Toyota Tundra - V

Comments

• trucksrmetrucksrme Posts: 381
    1) Head gaskets: If you aint heard bout them head gasket troubles on them toys, nothin I can do for you now.

2) Pumpkin: Check them magazines or be askin that cliffy1 (toy salesmen), for the fact on this one.

3) Tow: Silverado 1/2 ton 9600 LBS max
    tundra 1/2? ton 7200 LBS max

These be the facts, like em or not. Good luck on this one now!
    Ya gave me a good laugh with that one for sure! Be thankin ya on it. Good luck on this one now!
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    This is one specific area of a site devoted to owners of all pickups. Because owners of all brands post on this site when you say the Tundra is great and everyone else's vehicle sucks I question your common sense if you don't expect any responses. If you want to make your own heads bigger go to a Tundra site where you can go on about your truck all you want and only have other Elitist yuppies pat you on the back and stroke your ego for being so unbelievably intelligent as to by an import and leave the domestics to us 'unwashed masses'. Badmouth the domestics around here and be ready for a fight.
    Tell me what you love about your trucks. I really want to hear how much you enjoy them and if you have any accessories or performance parts planned. But don't make me feel like an idiot for owning a Ford. That just puts me in a fightin mood.
  • matteo1matteo1 Posts: 1
    I work in a bodyshop for a living. I know that I have seen Made in Mexico on several chevrolet parts. Toyotas are Assembeled in the USA. Would this classify Chevrolet to be an import? Good Know that Ihave your attention. I have had Fords and Chevys in my life after buying my wife a camry I bought a Tacoma 4*4. It was one of the best trucks I have ever had. TAlk about hill climbing try to follow it in any thing other than a jeep and you are in trouble (jeeps are a very respectable 4*4). I recently traded it in on Tundra and would like you tell me how in the world you can even compare the price and the product to any of the big three no matter where they get their parts.
    The Toyota doesn't compare. It's a different type of truck aimed at a different type of market. You have made my point for me. Thanks.
  • rooster9rooster9 Posts: 239
    1)The only head gasket problems I have heard of on a Toyota truck is a recall they had on the Tacomas. And how does this apply to a Tundra?

2)Still don't have any proof.

3)So which can get the load up to speed faster, and which can slow the load faster?

I've been a member of the tundrasolution's forums for over a month now, and to be honest, I hardly ever hear of any Tundra owner there telling of how there truck compares to the Big 3 trucks. It's just plain Tundra talk, what they put on their trucks, new products, stuff like that. I don't know why it's so different here.
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Posts: 215
    Here's where I got the info. You'll see that it says the Double Cab will be about 70-1/2 inches wide, compared to the 66-1/2 inches for the Xtra Cab. Don't know whether to believe it, because it suggests a rather substantial redesign.

http://www.autoworld.com/news/toyota/2001_tacoma_4dr.asp
    Got this one from budlitedude3, and he be knowin lots bout them trucks:

You're wrong. My 97 Tacoma had the head gasket
    problem. Left me stranded at about 23k miles. A
    friend of mine has a 98 model. Same thing. Head
    gasket went out at 32k miles.

The problem isn't with the gaskets as all the Toy
    fans want to believe. The problem resides in the
    fact that Toyota designed an engine with cylinder
    heads that are way too small for the cylinder
    pressures, thus they blow the head gaskets. They
    would really like everyone to believe that it is a
    head gasket problem. They are still making the
    same engine, the same way, and with the same head
    gaskets. Get real, are you so gullible that you
    would believe there was a head gasket problem for
    over 6 years running?

The 3.0 22R engines did the same thing. Head
    gaskets???? Not even close.

I be knowin quite a few folks with toy cars that busted them head-gaskets too. This be a common problem with them toy engines now.

As for that pumpkin, ask cliffy1, he be sellin them toys, or better yet, use your eyes on this one. One that owns one of em should have the knowin of the specs now. Look this one up for ya self now, it not be a secret or nothin.

As for the haul, them numbers I posted be speakin for themselves, that Chevrolet can haul 2400 LBS more than that "full size" tundra now. Them little Chevrolets have the ratin closer too them tundras. Best compare that haul with them.

Good luck on this one now.
  • ferris47ferris47 Posts: 131
    Why does everybody let trucksforme get under their skin? I mean first off, I have serious doubts as to his hillbilly status as I am sure most of you are aware he is just a bit too savvy with a computer and takes a little too much care to word his emails. He has become kind of like this sites comic sidebar. No big deal and he, whoever he is, is entitled to his opionion.

I don't let what anybody here says get to me because I have the absolute best truck in the world. For me anyway. I have no buyers remorse and were I to do it all over again I would do it the same way. Enjoy your trucks and let the bashers bash it makes for good reading.

I should write a book called Truck Tales or something. Kind of like fish stories. You know, it would be made up of things like I knew this guy who had a friend who's dad's 1956 Ford racked up 4 million miles on the original clutch or My first truck was a Toyota 4x4 and I drove it to the top of Everest. Everybody has these stories that they have heard and most of them are hillarious. I mean trucks and cars break, all of them. I think when somebody gets a really good one, they tell the story and like any story it get's embellished along the way. My Tundra did so well in the snow that I didn't even spin a wheel could become I knew this guy who had a 2wd Tundra that drove through the Canadian wilderness in 16 feet of snow and he never got stuck. The bad stories are the same way. Some poor guy gets vibration in his Chevy or Toyota or Ford and suddenly it is a bent frame or they accidently used the frame from a "Insert small truck name here".

Sorry for all the typos and such it is early and I felt the need for some rambling.

I have been lucky I have owned a great Chevy, a pretty damn good Dodge and a so far, a flawless Toyota. I am getting spoiled, pretty soon I am going to get stuck with a lemon and I am not going to be happy.
  • tp4unctp4unc Posts: 437
    about trucksrme. I think he knows alot about him.
    Just a hunch I've had for quite some time.
    First off, the Tundra does not use the engine the Tacoma does. Do you see a V-8 in the Tacoma? Didn't think so.

Second, who really cares if the Tundra uses the same rear pumpkin as the Tacoma. If the Tacoma's was overengineered to withstand more than what a fullsize pickup can give it, then what's the difference? I wouldn't say anything if the Dodge Ram shared the rear pumpkin with the Dakota. I really wouldn't care, as long as I didn't start hearing stories of them going out. And by the way, I've heard nothing about a Tundra's rear end failing.

About the towing thing, you don't make much sense. Just because the manufacturer posts a higher towing capacity based on what their lawyers told them they could post, doesn't mean anything. Take ATV's for example, they can pull twice or three times what their tow rating is. All the tow rating is is a safety concern, that's it. Good luck on this one now!
  • flycst2flycst2 Posts: 4
    I think all the people interested in Tundra's would probably be more swayed by facts and figures. Dimensions are meaningless unless you can tell me the force that can be applied until failure or the expected MTBF (mean time between failure) for a given duty cycle. A great indicator of the strength of a drivetrain is rear wheel horsepower. Engine horsepower is meaningless if 50% is dropped through the drivetrain. Does anyone have dyno testing to know what percentage of power that is lost through the drivetrain for the various manufacturers?

I drove a 56 Ford truck until 1991, it was less complex than today's trucks and for hauling it was fine. For driving around town it really sucked compared to modern vehicles.

If size was all that mattered most of us would just get crew cab duallys.

I have yet to hear 90% of the respondents bashing anyone. We just get angry when responses get regurgitated or contain answers not pertinent to the question. I believe everyone accepts that the big 3 probably have a day-in-day out better maximum payload. Unfortunately almost none of our questions are about maximum payload. Most of us want a driver's truck that can handle occasional medium duty chores. We also want a truck that is a good value, which for me is a combination of price, performance and reliability.

I still have not heard of any head gasket issues with the Land Cruiser - Lexus V8. I believe this is it's third or fourth year of service.
  • flycst2flycst2 Posts: 4
    All bets are off concerning head gaskets in a Tundra with the V-6.
    Somewhere we're getting our signals crossed. Tundra owners give me the impression that they believe that the truck they bought, carlike in design and built and marketed for light to medium duty use but probably destined for roughly 90% non hauling commuter duty, is better than any big three truck, which offer more options and equipment vatiation and are designed and intended to do more of what a pickup truck is inherently intended for. What Umkay said makes perfect sense. Tundra owners mostly use their trucks for commuting and light hauling and care more about car like features than max hauling capacity. But they then use their own criteria, carlike features and 'predicted reliability', to define it as the best truck though they have little to do with what makes a pickup truck among the best of its kind.
    When the Tundra comes in half ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton models, offers manuals with V8 engines, offers at least 2 or 3 different v8 options, comes with optional dual rear wheels, and you can order a longbed extended cab it can then be put in the same category as the domestics. Until then you cannot call it the best full sized truck because you cannot properly compare it to other fll sized trucks. It needs a greater availability and interchangability of options and a wider choice of equipment levels and models. Who knows, maybe Toyota has more in store for the near future along those lines. I do not argue with any Tundra owner that says they have an excellent truck that meets their personal needs better than any other. I think though that those who call it the best full sized truck on the market are out of their league. Sorry for the longwinded post, hopefully everyone has gotten used to my big mouth by now.
    That haul ratin be based on doin the haul with them trucks and them not breakin. Just give that eye-ball too them drivetrain parts on them tundras as compared too them big3 ones. This be where that 2400 LBS of difference be from, not them lawyers now. Use your eyes on this one now. Good luck on this one now!
  • barlitzbarlitz Posts: 752
    This year they voted the tundra in the magazines,what did they vote last year or the year before, are the trucks voted on before the best out there probably not.I'm willing to bet the supercrew and the new chevy superduty's will win next year but that doesn't mean they're the best.They usually always vote in the newest product.
  • smith53smith53 Posts: 72
    The reason truckabilly does his posting on the tundra site is the people on the chevy site know the truth about chevy trucks. I have had two chevy trucks and they have never left me stranded along side the road. My first chevy's engine died on me and I coasted to a chevy dealer. The 96 silverado died of fuel pump failure as I was discussing its starting difficulties. As for trucksrme's farm talk he would not know a farm if he was lost on it..
  • smith53smith53 Posts: 72
    the 96 silverado was sitting in the dealership service area when it refused to start
    I no longer care what trucksrme has to say. I think he's eating way too much Lucky Charms for breakfast because he sure talks like a Leprechan. Is his real name Lucky? Trucksrme, you'd better watch out if you're wearing your usual green suit when feeding the cows, they might mistake you for a haybale and gobble you up! Oh, and stay out of the feederwagon!
This discussion has been closed.