Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Welcome Toyota Tundra - V

Comments

• trucksrmetrucksrme Member Posts: 381
    1) Head gaskets: If you aint heard bout them head gasket troubles on them toys, nothin I can do for you now.

2) Pumpkin: Check them magazines or be askin that cliffy1 (toy salesmen), for the fact on this one.

3) Tow: Silverado 1/2 ton 9600 LBS max
    tundra 1/2? ton 7200 LBS max

These be the facts, like em or not. Good luck on this one now!
    Ya gave me a good laugh with that one for sure! Be thankin ya on it. Good luck on this one now!
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    This is one specific area of a site devoted to owners of all pickups. Because owners of all brands post on this site when you say the Tundra is great and everyone else's vehicle sucks I question your common sense if you don't expect any responses. If you want to make your own heads bigger go to a Tundra site where you can go on about your truck all you want and only have other Elitist yuppies pat you on the back and stroke your ego for being so unbelievably intelligent as to by an import and leave the domestics to us 'unwashed masses'. Badmouth the domestics around here and be ready for a fight.
    Tell me what you love about your trucks. I really want to hear how much you enjoy them and if you have any accessories or performance parts planned. But don't make me feel like an idiot for owning a Ford. That just puts me in a fightin mood.
  • matteo1matteo1 Member Posts: 1
    I work in a bodyshop for a living. I know that I have seen Made in Mexico on several chevrolet parts. Toyotas are Assembeled in the USA. Would this classify Chevrolet to be an import? Good Know that Ihave your attention. I have had Fords and Chevys in my life after buying my wife a camry I bought a Tacoma 4*4. It was one of the best trucks I have ever had. TAlk about hill climbing try to follow it in any thing other than a jeep and you are in trouble (jeeps are a very respectable 4*4). I recently traded it in on Tundra and would like you tell me how in the world you can even compare the price and the product to any of the big three no matter where they get their parts.
    The Toyota doesn't compare. It's a different type of truck aimed at a different type of market. You have made my point for me. Thanks.
  • rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    1)The only head gasket problems I have heard of on a Toyota truck is a recall they had on the Tacomas. And how does this apply to a Tundra?

2)Still don't have any proof.

3)So which can get the load up to speed faster, and which can slow the load faster?

I've been a member of the tundrasolution's forums for over a month now, and to be honest, I hardly ever hear of any Tundra owner there telling of how there truck compares to the Big 3 trucks. It's just plain Tundra talk, what they put on their trucks, new products, stuff like that. I don't know why it's so different here.
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    Here's where I got the info. You'll see that it says the Double Cab will be about 70-1/2 inches wide, compared to the 66-1/2 inches for the Xtra Cab. Don't know whether to believe it, because it suggests a rather substantial redesign.

http://www.autoworld.com/news/toyota/2001_tacoma_4dr.asp
    Got this one from budlitedude3, and he be knowin lots bout them trucks:

You're wrong. My 97 Tacoma had the head gasket
    problem. Left me stranded at about 23k miles. A
    friend of mine has a 98 model. Same thing. Head
    gasket went out at 32k miles.

The problem isn't with the gaskets as all the Toy
    fans want to believe. The problem resides in the
    fact that Toyota designed an engine with cylinder
    heads that are way too small for the cylinder
    pressures, thus they blow the head gaskets. They
    would really like everyone to believe that it is a
    head gasket problem. They are still making the
    same engine, the same way, and with the same head
    gaskets. Get real, are you so gullible that you
    would believe there was a head gasket problem for
    over 6 years running?

The 3.0 22R engines did the same thing. Head
    gaskets???? Not even close.

I be knowin quite a few folks with toy cars that busted them head-gaskets too. This be a common problem with them toy engines now.

As for that pumpkin, ask cliffy1, he be sellin them toys, or better yet, use your eyes on this one. One that owns one of em should have the knowin of the specs now. Look this one up for ya self now, it not be a secret or nothin.

As for the haul, them numbers I posted be speakin for themselves, that Chevrolet can haul 2400 LBS more than that "full size" tundra now. Them little Chevrolets have the ratin closer too them tundras. Best compare that haul with them.

Good luck on this one now.
  • ferris47ferris47 Member Posts: 131
    Why does everybody let trucksforme get under their skin? I mean first off, I have serious doubts as to his hillbilly status as I am sure most of you are aware he is just a bit too savvy with a computer and takes a little too much care to word his emails. He has become kind of like this sites comic sidebar. No big deal and he, whoever he is, is entitled to his opionion.

I don't let what anybody here says get to me because I have the absolute best truck in the world. For me anyway. I have no buyers remorse and were I to do it all over again I would do it the same way. Enjoy your trucks and let the bashers bash it makes for good reading.

I should write a book called Truck Tales or something. Kind of like fish stories. You know, it would be made up of things like I knew this guy who had a friend who's dad's 1956 Ford racked up 4 million miles on the original clutch or My first truck was a Toyota 4x4 and I drove it to the top of Everest. Everybody has these stories that they have heard and most of them are hillarious. I mean trucks and cars break, all of them. I think when somebody gets a really good one, they tell the story and like any story it get's embellished along the way. My Tundra did so well in the snow that I didn't even spin a wheel could become I knew this guy who had a 2wd Tundra that drove through the Canadian wilderness in 16 feet of snow and he never got stuck. The bad stories are the same way. Some poor guy gets vibration in his Chevy or Toyota or Ford and suddenly it is a bent frame or they accidently used the frame from a "Insert small truck name here".

Sorry for all the typos and such it is early and I felt the need for some rambling.

I have been lucky I have owned a great Chevy, a pretty damn good Dodge and a so far, a flawless Toyota. I am getting spoiled, pretty soon I am going to get stuck with a lemon and I am not going to be happy.
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    about trucksrme. I think he knows alot about him.
    Just a hunch I've had for quite some time.
    First off, the Tundra does not use the engine the Tacoma does. Do you see a V-8 in the Tacoma? Didn't think so.

Second, who really cares if the Tundra uses the same rear pumpkin as the Tacoma. If the Tacoma's was overengineered to withstand more than what a fullsize pickup can give it, then what's the difference? I wouldn't say anything if the Dodge Ram shared the rear pumpkin with the Dakota. I really wouldn't care, as long as I didn't start hearing stories of them going out. And by the way, I've heard nothing about a Tundra's rear end failing.

About the towing thing, you don't make much sense. Just because the manufacturer posts a higher towing capacity based on what their lawyers told them they could post, doesn't mean anything. Take ATV's for example, they can pull twice or three times what their tow rating is. All the tow rating is is a safety concern, that's it. Good luck on this one now!
  • flycst2flycst2 Member Posts: 4
    I think all the people interested in Tundra's would probably be more swayed by facts and figures. Dimensions are meaningless unless you can tell me the force that can be applied until failure or the expected MTBF (mean time between failure) for a given duty cycle. A great indicator of the strength of a drivetrain is rear wheel horsepower. Engine horsepower is meaningless if 50% is dropped through the drivetrain. Does anyone have dyno testing to know what percentage of power that is lost through the drivetrain for the various manufacturers?

I drove a 56 Ford truck until 1991, it was less complex than today's trucks and for hauling it was fine. For driving around town it really sucked compared to modern vehicles.

If size was all that mattered most of us would just get crew cab duallys.

I have yet to hear 90% of the respondents bashing anyone. We just get angry when responses get regurgitated or contain answers not pertinent to the question. I believe everyone accepts that the big 3 probably have a day-in-day out better maximum payload. Unfortunately almost none of our questions are about maximum payload. Most of us want a driver's truck that can handle occasional medium duty chores. We also want a truck that is a good value, which for me is a combination of price, performance and reliability.

I still have not heard of any head gasket issues with the Land Cruiser - Lexus V8. I believe this is it's third or fourth year of service.
  • flycst2flycst2 Member Posts: 4
    All bets are off concerning head gaskets in a Tundra with the V-6.
    Somewhere we're getting our signals crossed. Tundra owners give me the impression that they believe that the truck they bought, carlike in design and built and marketed for light to medium duty use but probably destined for roughly 90% non hauling commuter duty, is better than any big three truck, which offer more options and equipment vatiation and are designed and intended to do more of what a pickup truck is inherently intended for. What Umkay said makes perfect sense. Tundra owners mostly use their trucks for commuting and light hauling and care more about car like features than max hauling capacity. But they then use their own criteria, carlike features and 'predicted reliability', to define it as the best truck though they have little to do with what makes a pickup truck among the best of its kind.
    When the Tundra comes in half ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton models, offers manuals with V8 engines, offers at least 2 or 3 different v8 options, comes with optional dual rear wheels, and you can order a longbed extended cab it can then be put in the same category as the domestics. Until then you cannot call it the best full sized truck because you cannot properly compare it to other fll sized trucks. It needs a greater availability and interchangability of options and a wider choice of equipment levels and models. Who knows, maybe Toyota has more in store for the near future along those lines. I do not argue with any Tundra owner that says they have an excellent truck that meets their personal needs better than any other. I think though that those who call it the best full sized truck on the market are out of their league. Sorry for the longwinded post, hopefully everyone has gotten used to my big mouth by now.
    That haul ratin be based on doin the haul with them trucks and them not breakin. Just give that eye-ball too them drivetrain parts on them tundras as compared too them big3 ones. This be where that 2400 LBS of difference be from, not them lawyers now. Use your eyes on this one now. Good luck on this one now!
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    This year they voted the tundra in the magazines,what did they vote last year or the year before, are the trucks voted on before the best out there probably not.I'm willing to bet the supercrew and the new chevy superduty's will win next year but that doesn't mean they're the best.They usually always vote in the newest product.
  • smith53smith53 Member Posts: 72
    The reason truckabilly does his posting on the tundra site is the people on the chevy site know the truth about chevy trucks. I have had two chevy trucks and they have never left me stranded along side the road. My first chevy's engine died on me and I coasted to a chevy dealer. The 96 silverado died of fuel pump failure as I was discussing its starting difficulties. As for trucksrme's farm talk he would not know a farm if he was lost on it..
    the 96 silverado was sitting in the dealership service area when it refused to start
    I no longer care what trucksrme has to say. I think he's eating way too much Lucky Charms for breakfast because he sure talks like a Leprechan. Is his real name Lucky? Trucksrme, you'd better watch out if you're wearing your usual green suit when feeding the cows, they might mistake you for a haybale and gobble you up! Oh, and stay out of the feederwagon!
    We aint workin no dairy farm now. We be mainly rasin the Golden Leaf, know to most folk as tobacco now. So the next time ya be lighten one up, be rememeberin now, them Chevrolet's did that haul on it to market.
    Ya got ya that feudian slip now, ya said:

I have had two chevy trucks and they have never left me stranded along side the road.

Good luck on this one now!
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    It's time for the truth. It's time for the little boys and girls to run along. It's time for the facts, and only the facts. It's time to end the heresay and mythology. These facts have been brought to you by SPOOG. Enjoy!
    The source is the grandaddy of them all, the NHSTA site.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

" A poem everyone! The laddy rekons himself a poet!"
    " Once there was a way........to get back homeward......."
  • rdve80rdve80 Member Posts: 139
    The full size market has at least 3 weight types, 3 cab types and 3 bed types (with the Very Short Bed) plus many engine, transmission, axle ratio, axle type and 4WD combinations. Year-to-date the Tundra is 4% of this market with just 2 combinations plus 4WD. Toyota will need to introduce at least 2-3 additional combinations each year for several years to serve the total market before there can be a Big4. The combinations are increasing. Plus the aftermarket options for the Tundra need to grow as well. How many Utility bodies are available to slap on that puppy??

Each of us have a different set of criteria from preferences to needs. And even in the segment of the market that the Tundra serves, it isn't the ideal truck for us all. Otherwise, Toyota would have built more factory capacity right away and the BIG3 would have nothing but inventory. But Toyota has a disadvantage with it's small market share and lack of parts sharing between pickups and SUVs. For example, to control costs, the single wheelbase used on the Tundra results in a cab to rear axle distance that makes the
    Access Cab unsuited for 5th wheel towing. The BIG3 can afford to have dedicated wheelbases for each combination. This is a real need, not a preference and it's part of what defines the full size truck market.

The Tundra is a good truck(and so are the others), not the world's best truck, because one truck doesn't work for everyone.
    Them utility bodies be for the workin truck. Them limited ones aint got enough haul in em for that type of load now. Dont much matter no how, since them tundra folks be leanin more towards them stick-on doo-dads and such for them limited ones. As for that fifth wheelin, them tundra folk not even got a clue what that be all about now. Good luck on this one now!
  • tundrasaursrextundrasaursrex Member Posts: 49
    Nice post....well thought out, intelligent, and courteous--a credit to your genetic code. Your family must be proud of you. I'm sure you'd be able to persude anyone to your beliefs...
    I still use the 96 silverado daily, runs good once the engine stops knocking on start up.
  • tmwilkinson1tmwilkinson1 Member Posts: 13
    It seems that Budlitedude3 is getting a little out of control again. Can we look forward to Budlitedude4?
  • ronnybkoolronnybkool Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a new Tundra limited. The back of the truck seems to be about 5 inches higher than the front. Is there anyway of to make the truck level?
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    Do you have the 4x4 and TRD option? My 4x4 non-TRD sets about 1-2" higher in the back. Anyway, you can find more information on raising the front end of the Tundra over on www.tundrasolutions.com
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    You've got a lot of room to talk about spoog. Neither you nor trucksrme (Rubluetoo) have made a single constructive remark in here and it is wearing thin. Just because not everybody chooses to use a truck in the way you think they need to, you spew forth a series of criticisms.

Go away. You both are unneeded here.
  • ronnybkoolronnybkool Member Posts: 3
    Its a Tundra 4x4 with the off-road package TRD options. I checked that web site, but didnt see anything about raising the front. Thanks, Ronny
    Checkout the message board and look for info on "cornbread" spacers or Fabtech suspension lift for lifting the front of the Tundra.
    Actually, its "Cornbred" spacers and the info is located under the Performance Products section of the Message board. Here is the web page for them:

http://members.aol.com/cornbredne/CornbredSpacers.html

You still might want to checkout the owners impressions of the spacers over on TundraSolutions.
    I agree with you 100%. If they could offer a good conversation, great. But all they seem to want to do is put the Toyota down. I don't believe I have said even one negative remark about the big 3.

I have said before every truck has it's plus' and minuses. When it comes to 1/2 ton extra cab 4x4 it is a very competitive group. I chose the Tundra. It wasn't an easy decision, but I'm very happy with it. I certainly wouldn't dog another guys choice (mostly cause I just don't care what anyone else picks).

It would be nice if you could exchange real ideas on this site......
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I am a Silverado owner. I pop in to this topic every so often to see what some of the Silverado owners are up to. IMHO, I don't understand the necessity to defend the Tundra to the Big 3 owners. More so, since, as you say everyone is entitled to their opinion. They, the Silverado owners, may put down the Tundra or even the people who own them...and it still takes two to tango. I understand that it is difficult to ignore them, then again it's all a matter of what's important to you. The way I see it, the people defending the Tundra are the fuel or the catalyst for the fire. Stop defending the Tundra and it becomes a one person conversation where they probably would get bored and move on. I personally find ruebluetoo entertaining. He repeats himself and the more he does the more people get upset. I can only deduce that the content that he writes must have a good percentage of truth or why get upset. His style of delivery requires, in my opinion, some amount of creativity.

I, personally, miss the posts or rwellbaum2. Even though his approach would be by some, considered to be antagonistic, he did have valid posts and often had content that would help other Tundra owners.

Bottom line:
    Some of the Tundra owners have stated that if you want to get away from all of "this BS" that as a Tundra owner you should go to tundrasolutions.com. Why then would people keep coming back...especially to topics like Tundra vs. Big 3 or Tundra vs. Ford F150. Those topics I would think would NOT have any info regarding your Tundra...but be more like a war room. I guess it all comes down to the First Amendment. It is a double edged sword where we are allowed the right to free speech...but then so are others. For myself, I have waded through the 98% BS and found valuable info regarding my truck on Edmunds. I also have found it to be very interesting reading, especially with colorful characters like rueblue and BLD. To me they are the spice that adds flavor to the posts. Sorry for the long post...just my opinion...and nothing more.
    Got this tell from cartalk.cars.com:

I loved this truck untill the head gasket blew at 17K. I have owned a long line of Toyotas, but my experience with this truck has been a nightmare. First when the gasket blew, I was told that "They all do it" and it would take a six weeks to get an new, re-designed head gasket from Japan. When I told the dealer that Washington's lemmon law would revert the ownership of the car to Toyota if it were out of service for more than 30 days, a gasket magically appeared the next day. While I am assured by Toyota that I have the new "no-blow" "thicker" gasket I don't believe any of it. I am sure that I have the old gasket design in my motor, and I'll be screwed after the warenty lapses. One of the reason I paid the outrageous price for this truck (25% over the price of a similarly equiped F 150) was to have Toyota reliability. The joke is on me.

Ya got too be feelin sorry for these here folks for sure. Good luck on this one now!
    Went looking at trucks today. Looked at the Tundras and the Silverados. The Chevy dealer had like 100 or so Silverados on the lot. When looking at the Tundras, I was looking for one that would be equipped the way I would want it, and found two SR5 AccessCab 4x4's w/V-8, and everything in the options category were identical between the two trucks. But there was a price difference of nearly $1000 between the two trucks. I could not find what made the other one more expensive. One was black and the other was white. I also looked at the back differential between the Tundra and Tacoma. They do look close to the same thing, but no smaller than what the Silverado's had. With the Silverado's, is it true that you can't get the towing package (which includes the tow hitch and tranny cooler) with the standard suspension? Do you need the Z71, ZX3 (or whatever it is) or firm ride suspension? Also, is there any factory optional lockable tailgate for the Silverado? I doubt it, since I didn't see any in their brochure or here anything about one.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    no lockable tailgate for Silverado. Only with aftermarket.
    Them pumpkins be the same between them tundras and them tacomas now. As for them bein the same size as them Chevrolets, ya best get them eyes checked quick now. The drivetrain on them tundras be dwarfed by them full size trucks now. That Z85 be the option for doin the HD haul now. Pull ya up to 9600 LBS for them 1/2 ton ones. As for the lockin of that tailgate, I be usin that dog for preventin the theft of this one. Good luck on this one now!
    The article you posted was from 1996!

Here are more postings from the same site:

LOVE IT!!!!!! TOYOTA! When we americans start making vehicles this way I will start buying them this way.

"Oh! what a feeling!". I work on Fords for a living but my wife and I drive Toyotas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far, I am very pleased with my T-100. I owned a Toyota pickup before this and was very happy with that. Very little repair cost. Nothing ever broke; until the head gasket went, 8 years after I bought the truck. the dealer told me that it was under warranty because Toyota knew of problem. They rebuilt my engine at no cost. If I had brought the truck to just any repair shop, I doubt I would have been made aware of the warranty. the dealer also gave me a loaner car. I have been very happy with my Toyota trucks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    End of posts from cartalk.com

Hmmm! This guy said that he loves Toyota trucks! And this is after his head gasket blew! Toyota warrantied his truck after 8 years! Full repair! What are the chances of the Big 3 admitting that they made a mistake after 8 years and repairing it? Not good.

I went all the way back to 1992 on the Tacomas and did not find a single blown gasket. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but at least when it does, Toyota covers it.

I knew about the head gasket problems Toyota had in the past with some of their sixes before I bought my Tundra. That is one of the main reasons that I bought it - I knew that Toyota stands behind their products. They have 40% more standard powertrain warranty than the Big 3.

A friend of mine at work had the head gasket on his 1993 4runner fail at 90,000 miles and Toyota completely covered the repair.
    Yep, some folk be lovin them toys even after that popin head-gasket now, then again, some folk be harder to learn. Had a friend pop one on a 4 CYL camry, cost $780 bucks, car got donated after that one. As for that diggin, most yuppies be considerin 4 year past as diggin, but them that work em tend too keep em. Got us a 52 Chevrolet on that farm, and still be workin that one hard. I reckon if ya goin trade em for that new shiny one evey year, them popin gaskets may not be the trouble too ya. Good luck on this one now!
    Sorry, but this post is from cartalk.com. Here you go again talking about yuppies and such. Sheesh - I told you that I am just a hick like you.

My 1997 Chevy Silverado Z71 has been a big disappointment. It's still shiny and looks new but there hasn't been a single time in its 27,000 miles that something hasn't been wrong with it. Except for a blown fuel injector at 15,000 miles, the driveline has been fine; unfortunately, the same can't be said for the rest of the truck. After four trips to the dealership and numerous replacement parts, the power steering system loses power when turned without the truck moving (i.e., parking or turning around). The brakes are extremely poor (it takes both feet to stop the truck quickly), and there are numerous squeaks, clunks, pops, and rattles (the Chevy symphony plays for you as you drive). The third door is hung improperly--I took to to the dealership and they said they couldn't adjust it because the hinges are welded. The hood was rubbing the fender and grille. The truck was out of alignment from the factory. The trip odometer died--it took two trips to the dealership to fix it. The dealership says most of the problems are "normal" for these trucks. The Chevy Customer Assistance Center says (paraphrased) "We're sorry but you're out of luck!" I say "Sorry, Chevy, you're out of luck--I won't be a repeat buyer!"
    Sorry, but here is another post from cartalk.com.

I purchased my 1997 Chevy CK 1500 Silverado pickup, both for it's looks and reputation and by asking other Chevy pickup owners. I had always owned Dodge Pickups in the past. At three thousand, five hundred miles the engine started to make a knocking noise. The dealer had it back five times and decided to replace all the lifters on the fifth time. This did not correct the problem. Finally, they installed a new engine. This only made it worse. I still hear a lot of clacking like the rocker arms were loose. There are other noises besides that. I was told by the dealer that Chevrolet had a bad run on there 5.0 engines and there were others like mine out there.
    you're right of course, about not responding. It just gets a little old, you know....
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    to all tundra guys, that P.S was for your little
    Budlitedude. how did you guys get stuck with such
    an Odi!!!

Happy Easter...RED
    Happy Easter Red and the rest of the gang!!
    I also noticed when I was looking at trucks that Toyota's back drive shaft is supported to the frame in the middle, while all other (big 3) trucks go from the tranny right back to the differential, no additional supports. What is good about this design versus the others?
This discussion has been closed.