Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    dillydilldillydill Member Posts: 111
    Thanks Q
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    @qbrozen - on that Cayenne Turbo. Is there a difference in auction value for a below average condition vehicle? Specifically it looks like this thing is going to need tires, brakes, and routine maintenance on it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    Yes, there would be a difference. I would deduct what you need to put into it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    supaflashsupaflash Member Posts: 29
    qbrozen said:

supaflash said:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4x4 - 52k miles. Hard Top, Manual, Black, Black alloy wheels with 33" offroad tires with good tread x 5. Brand new aftermarket fenders, side rails, and seat covers. Upgraded stereo with removable double DIN face, bluetooth, apple car play, amp and subwoofer w/ alarm and keyless entry. All weather floor liners including trunk mat, deluxe aftermarket netting for back when top is off. Excellent condition, inside is spotless, minor scratches on the outside. 1 minor accident on record, no damage to Jeep. Tailgate is a little dinged up on the inside.

So what was the result of the accident and does it show on carfax?

what exactly do you mean by aftermarket fenders? Added flares or did you actually remove the stock fenders entirely? And what is with the seat covers? What do the seats look like underneath? How much of all this can you return to stock? 

In which state do you live?

In Colorado. Nothing resulted in the accident, it literally did nothing to my jeep, insurance replaced their bumper. I believe it does show on carfax but not sure. I removed stock fenders, replaced with military riveted style ones with more clearance and they don't fade so they match the darker black of the car and tires better. Stock ones were slightly sun bleached. Seats have always been covered with neoprene covers, they are mint underneath. I just replaced the last set as they were a bit sun bleached.
  • Options
    supaflash said:
    supaflash said:
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4x4 - 52k miles. Hard Top, Manual, Black, Black alloy wheels with 33" offroad tires with good tread x 5. Brand new aftermarket fenders, side rails, and seat covers. Upgraded stereo with removable double DIN face, bluetooth, apple car play, amp and subwoofer w/ alarm and keyless entry. All weather floor liners including trunk mat, deluxe aftermarket netting for back when top is off. Excellent condition, inside is spotless, minor scratches on the outside. 1 minor accident on record, no damage to Jeep. Tailgate is a little dinged up on the inside.

what exactly do you mean by aftermarket fenders? Added flares or did you actually remove the stock fenders entirely? And what is with the seat covers? What do the seats look like underneath? How much of all this can you return to stock? 

In Colorado. Nothing resulted in the accident, it literally did nothing to my jeep, insurance replaced their bumper. I believe it does show on carfax but not sure. I removed stock fenders, replaced with military riveted style ones with more clearance and they don't fade so they match the darker black of the car and tires better. Stock ones were slightly sun bleached. Seats have always been covered with neoprene covers, they are mint underneath. I just replaced the last set as they were a bit sun bleached.
    I honestly don't know how to treat something like this. Kinda have to see it and touch it and decide if I could find a buyer (if I were a dealer). I'm gonna take a WAG at $20k. That would leave me a couple grand to either return to stock or take a hit on selling it if need be.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    @qbrozen - Thanks so much!  You hit the nail right on the head as always!  I got $10.5 for the Pilot!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @nyccarguy nice nice on what you got on trade for the 2011 Pilet!
  • Options
    Still debating this BMW...just in case. 

2016 VW GTI S
    DSG
    10k Miles
    White
    Lighting Package
    VW Helix Soundbox

No runs, hits, or errors. It’s my baby. Seattle Area. 

I am guessing 17-18...
  • Options

2016 VW GTI S
    DSG
    10k Miles
    White
    Lighting Package
    VW Helix Soundbox

I am guessing 17-18...
    Well, first of all, that's not a BMW. ;b
    2nd, I don't recall how many doors yours has.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

2016 VW GTI S
    DSG
    10k Miles
    White
    Lighting Package
    VW Helix Soundbox

I am guessing 17-18...
    Well, first of all, that's not a BMW. ;b
    2nd, I don't recall how many doors yours has.
    Sorry...4 doors
  • Options
    Well, $17k is the AUCTION number. So you are looking at more like $16k, maybe up to $16.5k trade.

• Options
    Oooof. Not completely unexpected given how cheap it was when I bought it...but still. 
  • Options
    What did you pay? How long ago? If you don't mind me asking

• Options
    MSRP was $28,945. My sale price was somewhere around $23,5 plus an over-allowance of $500-$1000 on the trade.

This was back in October/November 2015.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    so basically $6-7K in 2 years. Or $240-$280 per month. So, really, no ouch involved. Probably about what you would have paid on a lease per month (not sure if a 2 year lease would be more or less). In any case, you drove a nice brand new car for modest money.

Cars depreciate heavily the first couple years. And you gotta pay to play! But does not sound like you really paid too much. If I could flip out of my Elantra in 2 years for $250/month, I would consider it to be pretty good, because that is about what a lease would have been.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Agreed - my response was more just a visceral "I was hoping for more" response.

I did not pay too much - I got it when dealers had a pool of money from VW to help them through dieselgate and they were more than happy to move a car.
  • Options
    getting a good deal was why I am not worried about getting out of my Elantra at any point. it is a 2018, I put on low miles and keep them nice, and I only paid less than $19K for it.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    edited December 2017
    Among one of many things I find leasing attractive for is not having to worry about dealing with a trade in or following the depreciation curve. At some point I may hop off that carousel but for now it's what works best for us.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    I'm thinking the same, @pensfan83. I think I need to get back on the leasing wagon.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    qbrozen said:

Expensive car to repair, too.
  • Options

qbrozen said:

Expensive car to repair, too.
    Yes - it is, and that we know. This dealer thinks they have g-d's gift to cars in this truck and aren't really willing to budge nor are they willing to do any of the services needed.

We are looking at a 2011 Cayenne Turbo that is certified with similar miles and has just had all that major work done. It doesn't have all the same goodies but is largely the same, and I think, represents a better value for price and condition. Dealer service records from the same dealer etc.
  • Options
    They're great cars if you can buy 'em straight. One of those models you don't want to play catch-up on.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    edited December 2017
    corvette said:

steine13 said:

I don't know what it is this time of year.. but I just had a request for an interesting valuation.

This is in picturesque mid-Michigan, of course:
    2010 Subaru Forester Premium (or "X Premium" -- it's one step up from base, NOT the XT)
    63k miles. In white. Manual Transmission.
    Sunroof, alloys, heated seats -- all part of the Premium trim.
    No accidents, one owner, and he takes care of his cars.

(I should know. Bought his '87 Audi 4000 many many moons ago.)
    Thanks in advance as always. Sorry for two-in-a-day here ;)

Paging @xwesx ...

LOL! Q is the one with all the numbers!

On trade, I can't argue with him on value. Based on miles and trim, I would say $11-12K is a likely PPV.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    I have read the Cayenne Turbo is the one to have in terms of reliability. Just some pesky plastic water pipes under the intake manifold seems to be the only weak spot. I drove one and wanted to love it, but there were 2 problems for me: I did not find the seat comfy enough and it scared the bejeesus out of me. Making 2.5 tons go that fast that quick is just asking for trouble. I did not feel confident the chassis and brakes would stand up to the challenge of me behind the wheel. Haha.

• Options
    In case you're curious Q, Carmax offered $17k for the GTI. I ran it over just to get appraised over lunch for S&Gs.
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

I have read the Cayenne Turbo is the one to have in terms of reliability. Just some pesky plastic water pipes under the intake manifold seems to be the only weak spot. I drove one and wanted to love it, but there were 2 problems for me: I did not find the seat comfy enough and it scared the bejeesus out of me. Making 2.5 tons go that fast that quick is just asking for trouble. I did not feel confident the chassis and brakes would stand up to the challenge of me behind the wheel. Haha.

Yep. It's like lighting the wick on a rocket strapped to a freight train.
  • Options
    In case you're curious Q, Carmax offered $17k for the GTI. I ran it over just to get appraised over lunch for S&Gs.
    Makes sense. Could have hoped for more, as they sometimes seem to pay auction value plus some saved time/fees on their end, but it is what it is.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I remember Terry saying about one of the first SRT Chargers that it was like being the guy who gets shot out of the cannon at the circus. Lol. 

I may get back on the leasing bandwagon when the Tahoe dies or outstays its welcome. Probably a full size truck—full size SUVs don’t lease well. 
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Leasing seems to work out when there is a big cash incentive or big residual.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

supaflash said:

qbrozen said:

supaflash said:

I honestly don't know how to treat something like this. Kinda have to see it and touch it and decide if I could find a buyer (if I were a dealer). I'm gonna take a WAG at $20k. That would leave me a couple grand to either return to stock or take a hit on selling it if need be.

Cool thanks that about what I'm hoping, I think I can push for 21 or so. KBB gave me an instant buy quote of 21500. It really is in great shape and looks good. Its all black on black and I get compliments on it all the time. I love my jeep and have babied it mostly except for some offroading excursions which I haven't had time to do last few summers. Just some situations forcing me into trading it into a cheaper lease.
  • Options
    If you post the VIN then maybe someone here can check CARFAX for you and see what's on there.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,304
    A little help. Home for the holidays, and my ex is looking for a new car. Her current ride is a 2005 Chrysler 300. 160k miles, dark blue over grey leather. Hemi engine. Looks great from 50 feet, but has the nicks and scratches commiserate with its age. 

I’m sure it isn’t worth much as trade, but if she were to sell it privately, what’s a good number for her to price it at?

southern California, zip code 93030

thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    $1500-$2k trade. Price it at $4995 and take $4k or even $3500 for quick sale.

• Options
    Wow. That was more than I thought. 

(How often does that happen here?)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    Little more than I would have thought, too, but I think there is an imaginary floor for a large v8 sedan. Pimpin aint easy.

• Options
    qbrozen said:
    Little more than I would have thought, too, but I think there is an imaginary floor for a large v8 sedan. Pimpin aint easy.
    Here, someone will show up with 40 or 45 Benjamins, and immediately put dubs on it. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    qbrozen said:

$1500-$2k trade. Price it at $4995 and take $4k or even $3500 for quick sale.

I agree. A $4K offer is a handshake and a "good luck with it".
  • Options
    Ended up getting 21,700 on trade for my Jeep. Was pretty happy. Thanks for the help
  • Options
    Congrats. What did you get?

• Options
    mynameistorymynameistory Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,

Our firstborn is due in March and since we have two large dogs, I'm considering trading my 4-door Tacoma in for a 4Runner. It is a 2012, TRD Off-Road, 4x4, quad-cab with short bed and manual transmission. Looking at used 5th gen 4Runners, particularly Trail or Trail Premium trims. There's one in my area (91343) that's priced at $37K, which I think I might be able to wear down on.

Most dealers seem to scoff at manual transmissions since the Jerry's and Jill's don't buy them and have low turnover (yet the right buyer might pay a premium for them, since they're rare in Tacomas- namely, me five years ago).

Should I try to sell private or try angling for the highest trade-in I possibly can for one transaction?

Thanks guys!
    -Tory
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    [The Tacoma above lives a few miles north of central Los Angeles.]

Private sale will definitely give you the most $$ and the most hassle.
    In rust-free LA, it'll be worth a pretty penny.
    The stick is no problem in a big market like that -- like you found out, they're hard to find for the few folks who want them... at least you have a large pool of potential buyers.

And I understand LA is different, but dude: HOW MANY MILES????
    That might impact the price a bit, no?
    While you're at it: color? How are the tires? General condition? Smoker's car? Any body work? That sort of thing.Of course, "two large dogs" sort of paints a picture about the interior...

Regarding the 4Runner: I can't speak to value specifically, but (i) if I were buying a recent Toyota anything, I'd just go new and have better value + peace of mind.
    And (ii) it'll be a cold day in hell before I pay over $30k for a used mass-market vehicle.

HNY -Mathias
  • Options
    Apologize for the vagueries Mathias- I'll run down the list. 
    • 68K miles
    • Magnetic Gray Metallic
    • Tires are stock-size KO2s with 10K miles on them- they still have all their whiskers. 
    • A few light scratches on the bodywork, what they call "Arizona pinstriping" (driving on narrow desert roads through creosote and chaparral). I plan on getting the truck detailed to get rid of them.
    • A few insurance claims, including getting struck by a forklift while parked at work, that resulted in bodywork fixes. All restored but I'm sure they show up on a Carfax. 
    • No smoking. 
    • Pet hammock installed when driving with dogs, so minimal furry wear-and-tear. 
    • In general, a pretty well kept truck. Serviced every 5K at Toyota dealers, so records are all there. No modifications other than a soft-top camper that I plan on selling separately. 

Thanks again for your input. Yeah, it seems pretty silly that they'd list a 2014 and 2018 truck within $5K of each other, these damn things hold their value too well. I'm planning to limit myself to no more than $10K of financing after selling/trading the Taco. 
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Tacos do well in CA. A clean automatic like yours would be $21.5k-$22k. How we treat the handshaker and bad carfax is the mystery. You won't like this, but I'm going to say $17k, give or take. I have heard of some dealers overlooking bad carfaxes, so you never know. But be prepared for those low numbers.

PP sale? Given the special nature, you'd want to advertise it far and wide and talk up the manual trans. If there are Taco boards, that is a good starting point. I'd probably start her at $23,995 and see what happens.

I would need more info on the 4runner to be of any help there.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Why don't you post the VIN and we'll see what the CARFAX actually looks like (we won't post the actual report).

I agree with Mathias--in such a huge market like LA, I think the buyer pool for a manual transmission is large enough so you don't have to offer a big (if any) discount. As for the CARFAX, I've found that it often depends on "how it reads". Sometimes the language describing the accident is benign, sometimes ominous.

For instance, it could say "incident reported", which sounds pretty harmless. Or it could say "front impact, airbags deployed" and in that case, the seller is really up against it.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Example of Tacoma’s insane resale?

The US Bank lease on our 2017 has a residual of 82% of MSRP, after 3 yrs, 36K miles. (stick shifts get higher residuals than automatics on Tacos)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Here's the VIN for Phoebe (the Tacoma):
    5TFLU4EN9CX037802
    I've never requested a Carfax but it looks like they cost money. I don't mind obtaining one for myself in the pursuit of info. 

Here's the 4Runner Carfax in Mission Hills CA (suburb of LA):
    https://goo.gl/FD448f
    And the ad at Hamer Toyota:
    https://goo.gl/ri2qdk

Thanks all for your input! 
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Hopefully your kid won't have to ride in the 4Runner much until their neck muscles get some strength.
    I sold my jacked up F150 when I saw my newborn doing an imitation of a bobblehead when they rode in it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    for the price of that 2014, you can just about buy a nicely equipped brand new Pilot.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    $35k is about the absolute upper limit on the CPO 4runner. You'd be paying quite the premium for the low miles.

As stick said, there are newer choices for that money. If you are a diehard toyo guy, a new 2018 Highlander v6 AWD LE plus can be had for $36k. BUT, it sounds like you offroad, which those softroaders aren't good for. 

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    kyfdx said:
    Example of Tacoma’s insane resale? The US Bank lease on our 2017 has a residual of 82% of MSRP, after 3 yrs, 36K miles. (stick shifts get higher residuals than automatics on Tacos)
    I'm trying to help a buddy pick up a lease on a Tacoma or Colorado. He's fine with a stick and wants a payment no more than $250 so just need to locate a dealer that will do a US Bank lease and hope the figures are similar.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP