Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,287
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    edited January 2018
    nyc, I like it. I’d want a sunroof though. Is he going to lease it once it arrives? I’ve always wondered about that... you’re at the mercy of whatever the money factors and residuals are at the time it arrives. 
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited January 2018
    tjc78 said:

Still haven’t seen a Type R in the wild and live in a pretty populated area. 

I've run into exactly one on the road, and I passed them :smile: Maybe they were still breaking it in :smile:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

My first impression is that the outside is beautiful with the M package bits, but the interior is "meh" - even with all the extra features, it still feels a bit heavy with plastic and definitely dated.

When I was looking for a car late last summer I found a few late model 3-series BMWs on used lots here that I looked at, and the interiors on all of them were a big disappointment. Part of that was that they were all black as is typical if the local dealer to order in, but the plasticky look was quite apparent. At the price point it didn't work for me.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited January 2018
    nyccarguy said:

I hope Craig isn't watching. He'd cringe at what my Dad ordered:

2018 Yukon SLT 4WD
    Black/Black
    HD Trailering Package (he doesn't tow, but it gets you a 2 speed transfer case)
    Bright Body Side Mouldings (Black Plastic with a Chrome Strip)
    Navigation Only (No Sunroof/Rear Entertainment Blue Ray)
    Adaptive Cruise Control
    20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Your dad and I wouldn't get along. Black/black would be the last thing I'd want, especially without a hole in the roof to relieve the coal-mine gloom inside.

• Options
    For those that like colors, and want an S5, here you go:

1) http://www.audiescondido.com/new/Audi/2018-Audi-S5-escondido-ca-0a96aea20a0e0a6b3f0ee739e074e96f.htm

2 http://www.audiescondido.com/new/Audi/2018-Audi-S5-escondido-ca-4e2c864d0a0e0aea575cd555e5266fcf.htm

I prefer the blue, as the exclusive color is some odd teal green/blue that appears to have scared off the depositor.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    I'd pick the blue one, as it doesn't have a black interior. I notice MB is slowly moving away from black interiors being on 90% of production, maybe others will follow.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Blue is nice. Almost same color as my sons A3. The green, well, need to see that in person.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    stickguy said:

Blue is nice. Almost same color as my sons A3. The green, well, need to see that in person.

That looks like the color of the US Forest Service trucks. Or, back in the day, the Border Patrol cars used in CA (my next-door neighbor growing up worked for them).

Either way, I predict that car will celebrate its birthday at the dealer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    corvette said:

nyc, I like it. I’d want a sunroof though. Is he going to lease it once it arrives? I’ve always wondered about that... you’re at the mercy of whatever the money factors and residuals are at the time it arrives. 

Unless there is some insanely low money factor and crazy inflated residual (there won't be), he's not going to lease this time around.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

I hope Craig isn't watching. He'd cringe at what my Dad ordered:

2018 Yukon SLT 4WD
    Black/Black
    HD Trailering Package (he doesn't tow, but it gets you a 2 speed transfer case)
    Bright Body Side Mouldings (Black Plastic with a Chrome Strip)
    Navigation Only (No Sunroof/Rear Entertainment Blue Ray)
    Adaptive Cruise Control
    20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Your dad and I wouldn't get along. Black/black would be the last thing I'd want, especially without a hole in the roof to relieve the coal-mine gloom inside.
    He never uses the sunroof unless to vent it open, then he forgets to close it. Problem solved.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Speaking of colors, sometimes if it was good then, it's still good now. I'd take this combo on a new model:

• Options
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

That looks like the color of the US Forest Service trucks. Or, back in the day, the Border Patrol cars used in CA (my next-door neighbor growing up worked for them).

Either way, I predict that car will celebrate its birthday at the dealer.
    I'll suggest they put it into the loaner fleet for my next upcoming oil change service so that it doesn't just sit around.
  • Options
    fintail said:

Speaking of colors, sometimes if it was good then, it's still good now. I'd take this combo on a new model:

Exactly.

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
     Andres three I’m also a fan of the blue to or if they had a red one there be my top choice not that green though hopefully it doesn’t sit around for a year maybe someone will snap it up well like you said to just put it in their loaner fleet so you could drive it a bit when your cars in for service 
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Finally drove a Fiat Abarth (2016 model) for an extended ride. I was very curious if it was as much fun as people say. Answer?

Yes, it is. It may not be the fastest 0-60 compared to some modern hot-hatches but it is totally ferocious in handling, and being so light, if you keep it on turbo and on cam, you would give a larger and more powerful car fits in the twisties. I just pushed it more and more until I could feel that I was overpowering the tires--but it still stuck. The turn-in is very sharp. I was surprised. This is a friend's car, and I've been bugging him. He drives the hell out of it so he doesn't care if I do (apparently).

Plenty of room for a big guy, too, unless you were...ahem...exceptionally wide.

Interior is Spartan----suddently it's 2006 and we're in a Yaris!

Once nice feature is the "Sport" button (aka "Fun button"). It really makes an amazing difference when you punch that little guy.

Downsides? The wonderful exhaust drone would be....well... EXHAUSTING on a long drive, and the practical cargo space is just ridiculous.

Verdict? This car is a TOY. Less civilized than a Miata, more like a Smart Car on steroids that is also highly competent.

I decided "not for me" but I get the appeal.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    And worth about $6k less than a 2016 Cooper S. i think I'd take the Fiat.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Drove another couple of Infiniti Q50's at work and love that engine. Hit the accelerator and bam! You're down the road in a flash. I can see someone getting a serious amount of tickets with this thing. Been liking all the new Infiniti products we've gotten lately but have heard that they are a bit "thirsty". So NY, is this really true about Infiniti, are they as thirsty as folks have been telling me?
    Like the QX30 I think it's called, the MB GLA 250 clone. Inside, quite obvious that it's a MB product with a few Infiniti touches here and there. I felt super comfortable in there and like the size as it seems to be around 175" or so. Really need to go test drive one at the nearby Infiniti store and see for myself with an extended test drive.
    Had to go to Miami Beach today around Lincoln Avenue to pick up a Mercedes 2 door coupe. Once I got in, it kind of surrounded me with a very nice dash/ergonomics except couldn't figure out how to set my Sirius/XM favorite stations. Car handled very nicely going up to my office on I-95, hit the gas pedal and instant acceleration. Could be a fun toy actually!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Looks as if my engaged daughter and her guy are planning to move to the Orlando area by August. That bombshell was dropped on us Saturday night. I was under the impression they were gonna look there but also near here and go with the best house. But looks like South Florida is no longer in the running. They want a house, they love the theme parks and go regularly and his job in tech is done from home 90% of the time so he's able to do this. My daughter's work place has an Orlando office so she's checking to see if she can work remotely from home and go into the Orlando office if need be. But since they aren't looking for any homes down here, looks like a done deal.
    Talked with the wife about a possible Orlando move for us but she prefers the west coast of Florida around Sarasota while I prefer the Ft. Myers area myself, more new construction. So, mulling this new idea around. Gonna wait until the kids buy and then move until we do anything at this juncture. We're about 2 1/2 hours south of Orlando which ain't a bad drive. So us moving to the west Florida coast would keep us at about a couple hours drive, give or take. And am figuring with the right new build property, I can convince her to do Ft. Myers. Something to look into soon but I'd really love to sell and get out by mid 2019 to be honest. These few cool snaps we've had since December have shown the wife that she'd be very unhappy anywhere they have snow during the winter so Florida still remains the logical choice though I'd like to move farther north.
    Guess I'll throw away those floor plans I picked up for a new townhouse development a few miles from here. A beautiful new complex with townhouses with either a 1 or 2 car garage. Really nice finishes inside with prices in the low $300's though they are two stories. I like the 3 bedroom/2.5 bath model with around 1500 square feet under air. Figure homes in our neighborhood are fetching prices in the low $400's and with ours being one of the smallest with no pool, figure we could net around $380 after all is said and done. Leaving us with some extra to put in the bank. From what I've seen, homes in the Orlando area and Ft. Myers area are a bit lower so this might just be doable. Had always figured we'd be here another five or so years but have no problem pushing that time table up I guess!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    qbrozen said:

I think overall it's a better car than the Cooper S, too. Not quite as nice in the interior but reliability couldn't possibly be worse and I think it would outperform the Mini as well.

I've got nothing bad to say about the Abarth aside from the lack of any cargo space and the booming exhaust if you're traveling. It's more like a weapon than a car.
  • Options
    Wonder why Mini Coopers seem to have such a dismal reliability rating? Aren't they mostly BMW'S underneath now? I did test drive a couple last year and they both drove very nicely, almost as good as my Golf. Would think the new Minister that just came out would drive much better, same as a BMW now.
    Everyone I talk to about getting a Mini always says the same thing, to just stay away from any of them. I hear what they are saying but I really like them, guess it's their small size which I like. Just afraid to buy one. Am still a bit she'll shocked from the water pump/thermostat issue with only forty or so miles from the end of the manufacturers warranty to be honest. These vehicles should all really have a 5 year/60,000 mile warranty for the piece of mind that it gives. VW was smart to go with their new longer warranty and have always liked Hyundai/Kia for their great one also.
    Since I prefer a new vehicle, best I find one with a long warranty for my own piece of mind as leasing just isn't a good option for my driving style.

• Options
    Maybe it's because they are BMW - based.

Many modern BMWs seem to have issues (cooling, Vanos, HPFP), engineer something from the same people and build it in England, well, maybe you're asking for it? ;)

Funny thing regarding warranties, many makes in the EU market have only a 2-3 year warranty.
  • Options
    VW warranty could sway me. Depending on what we do in the summer, either me or the kid will be getting something, and I would be more willing to do a VW with the super long warranty.

• Options
    @sandman_6472 - gas mileage isn't my Infiniti's strong suit.  I average about 19.5 mpg.  The acceleration is simply intoxicating.  It costs me the same amount of money to fill up whether I get 19.5 mpg or 25 mpg.  Infinitis make incredible values as used cars.  In September 2014, I bought a new 4cyl 175 hp Slowbaru Legacy with Cloth Seats and no Sunroof for a little less than $25K.  In 2017, I bought a 2015 328 hp Infiniti for approximately the same amount with a lot more equipment.  

• Options
     Sandy cool I’m driving the infinity’s at work ternal too much about the more current ones thirsty or not take them with the queen of salt I don’t know scene with the minis ticket with the big queen of soul yes it’s probably more reliable makes out there but take everything in life with a grain of salt I’m sure you know that and everyone in here does too ha ha Ha that’s for many more Freon I think I’d go with the mini looks wise driving wise can’t say you have to see on the move and the coming year were you and the wife are going to do 
  • Options
     Nice I’m driving your friends Fiat today was this past weekend nice little toy I guess 
  • Options
    Got a QX60 as a loaner car.  Rides much smoother and feels much more composed than the previous loaner I had with the 21" wheel package.  Strange though, I can't get comfortable in the seats.  My right lower back is killing me.

• Options
     And I am glad that 3 W one with the longer bumper to bumper or auntie it’s even a little better then one on the end Kia has had all these years to know why anyone hasn’t competed with them all these years I’m glad that he W did 
  • Options
     The only way Sandy for you to go with a mini I guess would be to buy an extended warranty or lease which I know you’re not into doing but I would eventually get the car that you want 
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,287
    Long warranties definitely don't imply the car will be reliable. Sometimes, they need long warranties because of a reputation for being unreliable. (See Hyundai.. and now, maybe VW).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Since about 15 years ago Nissan has used a very stout 3.5 litre engine for many of their vehicles. It's powerful and reliable, but isn't especially frugal with gasoline. Has the situation changed lately?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    I might have gotten a G37 (2011 I think) with only 20K on it, but it popped up right after I leased the Sonata in Late 2014. At the time, I think it was listed for $21,000? a screaming deal from what I recall though. White over beige, navi, the surround camera. I was bummed when I saw that at my favorite local guy!

certainly fast. but going to be pricey on gas, between premium and drinking a lot. But gotta pay to play!

my neighbor as a G37, that he has had for a while now. 5 years? maybe more. Must have a ton of miles on it. he commutes about 70-80 miles a day, plus other running around. It replaced a 2nd gen Acura Legend 4 door, with a stick. it died at 175K, and he was mad because he wanted it to go to 200.

actually, he also has a garage queen (well, I think now had) 350Z, stick coupe. Did not come out often, but a few weeks back I noticed a Q60 coupe in the garage with temp tags. Have to ask him about it all next time I see him.

• Options

Since about 15 years ago Nissan has used a very stout 3.5 litre engine for many of their vehicles. It's powerful and reliable, but isn't especially frugal with gasoline. Has the situation changed lately?

the 3.5 bumped out to 3.7, gained HP, but is still not very frugal with gas. They are phasing that engine out though. I believe they have a new design 3.0TT motor now to serve as the hot rod engine.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    The new Jetta looks pretty attractive to me. Could be the replacement for the daughters Jetta at the end of the year, particularly with the new longer warranty.

I also like the Mazda3, of course.

And CPO A3’s or 320’s could be in the picture, but it’s unlikely those would come with the current safety features I’d like to get on her next car. Same with a Q40 like @nyccarguy’s.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
     At Kies true having the longer warranty doesn’t mean anything you could have bad luck and I have problems or things to go in your favor you just never know 
  • Options
    @nyccarguy nice nice! what color is this Loner!
  • Options
    @nyccarguy nice nice! what color is this Loner!
    Pearl White with Black guts

• Options
     Car guy nice however control on that one 
  • Options
     Sorry about the comment above that one’s nice color combo on the phone felt like writing whatever he wanted to this morning have an awesome week everyone 
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I was able to get comfortable this AM and my back doesn't hurt. Keep the QX60 in Sport Mode and the VQ/CVT combination does a great job at getting you where you need to go in a HURRY. Steering feedback is fantastic thanks to a good old HYDRAULIC power steering rack. This one doesn't have the 21" wheels that the 1st loaner car had and drives MUCH better.

I get WHY they offer the QX60. It is a re-badged Pathfinder, they lease out cheap compared to the MSRP. They should do something with the Torque Split. The Front Wheels spin too easily on take off. They are just over powered.

I like it in White too.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I’ve kept the Tahoe in 2WD so far during the couple of snows that we’ve had. Nice to have 4WD available if I need it. 
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    corvette said:

I’ve kept the Tahoe in 2WD so far during the couple of snows that we’ve had. Nice to have 4WD available if I need it. 

I do that with my Wrangler; it keeps me in practice.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited January 2018

qbrozen said:

I think overall it's a better car than the Cooper S, too. Not quite as nice in the interior but reliability couldn't possibly be worse and I think it would outperform the Mini as well.

I've got nothing bad to say about the Abarth aside from the lack of any cargo space and the booming exhaust if you're traveling. It's more like a weapon than a car.
    Famous last words about "it couldn't possibly be worse..."

Sounds like me when I owned my unreliable car and kept saying "what else could possibly go wrong!" Kept thinking it has got to run reliably for awhile after the most recent big repair(s).

Turned out "awhile" was never more than 4 months away.
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

Long warranties definitely don't imply the car will be reliable. Sometimes, they need long warranties because of a reputation for being unreliable. (See Hyundai.. and now, maybe VW).

I'm anxious to see if VW alters the recommended 10K,20K , 30K service intervals with the new longer warranties. Waiting until 10,000 miles for the first oil change after break-in is what bothers me the most.

My '16 Audi still does 5K, 15K, 25K, 35K intervals. Thinking about doing an oil analysis for my 5K interval selection now that I'm past 20K miles and seeing who's more right.
  • Options
    I think my sons A3 did not call for an early oil change, just the 10K/annual. Same for my Jetta. I would probably do one early if I was buying to keep long term. On the lease, with them paying, nope.

• Options
    Anyone here ever benefited from an extended warranty? Something that fell outside the 3 year 36K (bumper to bumper) or 4 year 50K (power-train) zone, but within whatever extension you had (including built-in extensions like Hyundai/Kia).
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    andres3 said:

Anyone here ever benefited from an extended warranty? Something that fell outside the 3 year 36K (bumper to bumper) or 4 year 50K (power-train) zone, but within whatever extension you had (including built-in extensions like Hyundai/Kia).

When we bought out our leased '99 New Beetle, we added an extended warranty. Had a couple of minor mechanical issues that caused the warranty to be invoked. Can't remember if it paid for itself or not, however.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

Famous last words about "it couldn't possibly be worse..."

Sounds like me when I owned my unreliable car and kept saying "what else could possibly go wrong!" Kept thinking it has got to run reliably for awhile after the most recent big repair(s).

Turned out "awhile" was never more than 4 months away.
    Well sure I guess it could always be worse...The Fiat, for instance, could collapse into all its disassembled 5,500 pieces at a stop light---that would theoretically be worse than the Mini.

Sunroof exploded
    AC compressor failed
    power steering fan failed
    thermostat housing cracked
    cooling fan relay failed
    right and left side door handle trim broke off
    glove box lock broke
    left and right door lock actuators failed
    headlight leveling system failed
    control arm bushings
    windshield leak
    radio controls failed on steering wheel
    catalytic converter failed
    battery failed without warning (shorted)
    excessive wind noise
    exhaust heat roasts your groceries
    rear trunk emblem fell off
    numerous rattles in dashboard
    TPMS system goes periodically crazy.
    left fender cladding fell off
    key fob fell apart (now taped)
    upper front shock mounts deformed

ON THE PLUS SIDE----- ironically, at around 100,000 miles, the car suddenly stopped being bad. So here we have the unusual scenario of a car getting much better as it ages.

How do we explain this?

We explain this by realizing that the owner (also known as the "suck-er") finally corrected all the defects built in by the automaker (also known as the suck-ee").

signed
    MrShiftright
    BMW free-lance R&D Department
  • Options
    I bought an aftermarket warranty when I bought my old E55 AMG, as it was just out of manufacturers warranty. I definitely came out ahead. My indy mechanic was good at getting things approved, gauge computer screen replacement and rear sunshade replacement alone almost covered it.
    andres3 said:

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606

qbrozen said:

I had a thing for the Abarth for awhile. There can be some great used buys out there if you are patient. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on one's view, I drove the 86 out curiosity. Afterwards, I drove another Abarth to be sure, and the 86 made it feel like a minivan. That shifter feel, too. But, I do get the appeal.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd