Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    There is some truth to the drag a manual transmission would have on MOST vehicles' values. My friend has two very clean manual-trans Subaru Outbacks, all gone through with proper repairs, and he can't move 'em. If they were dented $3500 beaters with automatic, he could sell 'em all day long.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    edited November 2018
    nyccarguy said:

nyccarguy said:

“Manual transmission sedans are a tougher sell”

Nonsense, slap a sticker on the windshield that says:  RARE 6-SPEED

And that after the dealer lowballed the trade because of the three pedals...

That goes without saying.

UCM to the seller of said 6-Speed - “I’m sorry.  The most we can offer you is $X under book value.  The stick REALLY hurts you.  Nobody wants them anymore.”

Then after a quick wash it gets the RARE 6-SPEED sticker

Well, yeah, that's usually how it goes lol. Keep in mind if the trade in is on a car a dealer needs to move then they'll take a chance and step upon the trade, and then market the crap out of the trade that indeed it is a rare 6 speed manual sedan.

Same thing when an ad agency gets hired to market an unpopular car such as a Yugo or Lada, or modern day Mistubishi. They have to emphasize on something unique about the car. At least that's how I did things when I ran several used car lots.

In al honesty, it's almost impossible to know what the cost is on a used car at a dealership is unless you have access to the cost spreadsheet and know what the dealer is into the car for.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    You don't really need to know what the dealer has in it. Just the current retail value.

If the dealer is buried, and won't sell the car for market price, then you move on to a different car. That will be their problem. Basing a price on whether the dealer over-paid? Ridiculous.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

True, but all used cars are different, even if they are the same year, make and model. If a car is in exceptional condition, or has ultra low miles, then the "market", which essentially removes all outliers in the calculation, might not apply.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    well, book/market rightly removes the outliers. But, if the car you are looking at IS the outlier, then the book midpoint amount is not that relevant.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    The point being: What the dealer paid for it is irrelevant.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Well yes, in a sense that's right. The car has to speak for itself. If it is some kind of pristine jewel, that's what you base your offer upon. What the dealer paid to get it isn't really useful information. If he paid $4,000 and "stole it" or $8,000 and "paid over book trade-in", it is still the same car.

What is it worth to YOU?

Sure, it can be helpful if the dealer shows you a print-out of what he had done prior to sale, but you have to take that info with a large dose of salt. After all, every car is supposed to have working lights, brakes, tires etc--you can't take "credit" for providing those things.
  • toywaltztoywaltz Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2018
    This one might be a challenge but I'd love to hear opinions:

2018 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R 15k miles, couple small scratches/chips but mostly like new. Black over Java Brown. Columbus, OH
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Subaru's are kinda sorta regional, so it would help to know what part of the country you're in. They are not nearly as popular in the parts of the country where it never snows.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • toywaltztoywaltz Member Posts: 10
    henryn said:

Subaru's are kinda sorta regional, so it would help to know what part of the country you're in. They are not nearly as popular in the parts of the country where it never snows.

I knew I forgot something...updated to Columbus OH.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    "Mostly like new." Haha. So, I have this stick of gum that is mostly like new...

Anyhoo... somewhere in the $30k-$31k neighborhood.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• euler75euler75 Member Posts: 3
    qbrozen said:
    I'm really interested in this - 2011 BMW 328i Sedan w/ manual transmission. 55k miles. Current asking price is $11800 from dealer. KBB trade-in price is about $6500. Is there any bargaining room with the dealer? I'm just worried i'll be dropping over $6k just driving the car out of the lot!
    Sounds interesting. KBB is a bit low on this one. Not sure I've ever typed that before. I'd hit it at $7500. $10.5k should buy it.
    Went to the dealership. They pulled out the car & voila! It’s an automatic which was listed as a 6speed manual by mistake. Lol
    Yeah, well welcome to data-entry personnel practicing their typing skills. This happened to me more often than not. On the last car I looked out, I made the salesperson actually go out and look at the car and count the pedals.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

Yeah, well welcome to data-entry personnel practicing their typing skills. This happened to me more often than not. On the last car I looked out, I made the salesperson actually go out and look at the car and count the pedals.

Same. At least half of the C30s I look at are listed as manual but really aren't.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    >> The point being: What the dealer paid for it is irrelevant.

Until, of course, you try to get a decent deal on a car where the dealer overpaid.
    Human nature applies to used-car managers as much as to anyone else.

So yeah, it doesn't matter regarding what the car is actually worth, but it might come in handy...
    they can start charging me based on what they paid for it, when they start paying me what I owe on my trade.

Sometimes the VIN decoder defaults to a manual transmission and published the vehicle as such when in fact it's an automatic.

Part of my responsibilities at my dealership is to do the advertising write ups and oversee recon on used cars we stock on the lot. I make sure I sit in and touch every car we stock, including visually checking exactly what options they have, and if the nav screens actually do have nav, and if bluetooth buttons are dummies or if bluetooth is actually installed.

Incorrect specs are my pet peeves so usually our listings are 99.9% accurate. It pays off, attracts the right customers, and eliminates customer's frustration.

No joke. Driving 40 miles to look at a car with the wrong advertised spec is very annoying.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347
    I once had a dealer tell me that an E46 M3 on their lot had heated seats; it didn't- the salesperson was looking at the memory seat position buttons on the lower seat cushions...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• euler74euler74 Member Posts: 29

No joke. Driving 40 miles to look at a car with the wrong advertised spec is very annoying.

Exactly! There was another listing with the same issue, but this time I specifically asked him to check if it had a clutch pedal :open_mouth:
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    On Sunday, my wife and I drive about an hour to look at a CPO car that I saw on the manufacturers CPO site.
    I check it fairly often.
    When we got there it was nowhere to be seen.
    After we got back , I checked the actual dealer site and it wasn't listed.
    Lesson learned, check multiple sources.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Most new car dealerships do a very poor job of updating their web site to reflect their actual inventory. Some have a good in-house computer based inventory, and some don’t. Even when they have a good in-house system, they usually keep their web site isolated from their in-house system in the name of security.

Which is fine, I can’t argue against that. But if you want them isolated, you should export the data from your in-house system and upload that to your web site at least once every 24 hours. But that would require that you hire at IT guy, and most new car dealerships are not willing to do that. They have a contract with some third party to provide IT services, and they are paying the minimum amount possible, and getting the minimum level of service.

And even with that said, some new car dealerships have a really terrible in-house system. They often can’t find cars or trucks that their system shows as present. I have shown up at a dealership to look at a car (both used and new), and no one at the dealership can find that car. It’s in their inventory, it shows up on their web site complete with pictures, but they absolutely cannot lay hands on it.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    @henryn,
    The one I was looking at was exactly what I was looking for, except interior color was lighter than I like.
    History was great, Oil changes at 2500, 5k, 10, 15k. It had just over 15k on it and nothing strange on the Carfax.
    I can see why it didn't last.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    henryn said:

Most new car dealerships do a very poor job of updating their web site to reflect their actual inventory. Some have a good in-house computer based inventory, and some don’t. Even when they have a good in-house system, they usually keep their web site isolated from their in-house system in the name of security.

Which is fine, I can’t argue against that. But if you want them isolated, you should export the data from your in-house system and upload that to your web site at least once every 24 hours. But that would require that you hire at IT guy, and most new car dealerships are not willing to do that. They have a contract with some third party to provide IT services, and they are paying the minimum amount possible, and getting the minimum level of service.

And even with that said, some new car dealerships have a really terrible in-house system. They often can’t find cars or trucks that their system shows as present. I have shown up at a dealership to look at a car (both used and new), and no one at the dealership can find that car. It’s in their inventory, it shows up on their web site complete with pictures, but they absolutely cannot lay hands on it.

It's best to call ahead if looking for a specific model. Get a sales person to physically check that the car is there before coming.

I update our site for used cars (mark listings as "Pending Sold") but new cars it's a little bit harder. Reason is we may sell 5-20 cars per day, but because they're sold, doesn't mean they leave the lot immediately. Sometimes financing or prep can take a few days, sometimes deals cancel due to bad credit (after a week of trying to get an approval), and sometimes new cars get dealer traded but don't leave the lot immediately, and until the deal is finalized in accounting AFTER the car leaves (which may take a day or two) and the accounting software clears the car out of the inventory, it may remain there for a few days.

On another note, we did have customers drive in for cars that sold while they were on the way to the dealership. It happens sometimes.

• DrivingfoolDrivingfool Member Posts: 227
    Absolutely, that's why if it's a hot seller, one shouldn't wait too long to make a decision. I've lost a couple of vehicles because I didn't jump when I should have. Sometimes waiting another day is the wrong strategy and you come back and it's either gone or has a "sold" sign in the window. I try now to not let that happen so when I do find "the one", will no longer wait a bit. Just ain't worth it!

• euler74euler74 Member Posts: 29
    And the hunt for a manual BMW continues - 2012 BMW 335i convertible @ 56k miles (clean titles, 3 owner). The dealer asked me for an offer. Any idea folks?
    3 owners? That's a bit concerning.
    Normally, we'd be talking about $17.5k, give or take. But with a history like that, and a manual trans, I'm thinking something more like $15k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    boomchek said:

henryn said:

It's best to call ahead if looking for a specific model. Get a sales person to physically check that the car is there before coming.

I update our site for used cars (mark listings as "Pending Sold") but new cars it's a little bit harder. Reason is we may sell 5-20 cars per day, but because they're sold, doesn't mean they leave the lot immediately. Sometimes financing or prep can take a few days, sometimes deals cancel due to bad credit (after a week of trying to get an approval), and sometimes new cars get dealer traded but don't leave the lot immediately, and until the deal is finalized in accounting AFTER the car leaves (which may take a day or two) and the accounting software clears the car out of the inventory, it may remain there for a few days.

On another note, we did have customers drive in for cars that sold while they were on the way to the dealership. It happens sometimes.

Good insight. I'm sure its hard to keep the inventory listing current, especially at a large inventory high volume store.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Angst_RiddenAngst_Ridden Member Posts: 11
    Howdy, I'd like to get the trade-in value on my 2018 Subaru Outback...

2.5i Limited,
    Magnetite Gray
    5400 miles on the odometer
    Excellent condition
    Add-ons: back bumper protector, rear seat back protector, cargo protector and all-weather floor mats
    Zipcode: 30606
    Many Questions, Few Answers
    For a base 2.5i, you're looking at about $22k.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    qbrozen said:
    It’s a Limited 

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

qbrozen said:

I am thinking you missed the "Limited" part (otherwise I really overpaid when I purchased it new).
    edited November 2018
    I most certainly did miss that.
    make it $28k-$28.5k

qbrozen said:

I most certainly did miss that.
    make it $28k-$28.5k

Thank you sir!
  • VM81VM81 Member Posts: 16
    Can you help me with trade in value and private party sale value for:

2010 Honda Accord EX-L
    4 Cylinder
    Mileage: 119000
    Exterior: Black
    Interior: Ivory
    Big dent on rear passenger door, though the door works flawlessly
    Minor scratches on the bumper
  • Pmen796Pmen796 Member Posts: 2
    Looking for real trade in value for 2014 BMW 528ix M Sport. 8speed automatic. Alpine white with brown Napa leather multi contour seats. 47000 miles. Very clean.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    Pmen796 said:

Looking for real trade in value for 2014 BMW 528ix M Sport. 8speed automatic. Alpine white with brown Napa leather multi contour seats. 47000 miles. Very clean.

What city & State is the vehicle located in? How much tread is left on the tires? Has the vehicle ever been hit? Clean Car Fax? Dealer Serviced?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Pmen796Pmen796 Member Posts: 2
    Eastern N.C. Dealer maintained, clean Carfax, second owner, brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. Never hit. No issues.
    edited November 2018
    qb: I found this puppy outside Pittsburgh. Any thoughts on the asking price? I'm thinking maybe $2000 high? Thanks!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Nice looking X1. good colors. Seems high to me for a 17 with that many miles. Could probably get a 2018 new one leftover for what, 40? Service loaner in the mid-upper 30s?

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Looks nice - I think it is probably a bit optimistic maybe $29k-$30k?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Accord: tough to know without seeing the damage in person, but maybe $3500 on a trade and $5-$5500 private party.

BMW: not really much data to go on. Maybe $19k-$20k.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    edited November 2018
    Rahal is probably 30-40 minutes from me if you would like someone on the ground to take a look.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP

qb: I found this puppy outside Pittsburgh. Any thoughts on the asking price? I'm thinking maybe $2000 high? Thanks!

What? $9k markup is too much? ;b

Heck, you could probably get a 2018 ex-loaner for that or even less. I see folks typically report 20% off on an ex-loaner. What was MSRP on this one?

qbrozen said:

What? $9k markup is too much? ;b

Heck, you could probably get a 2018 ex-loaner for that or even less. I see folks typically report 20% off on an ex-loaner. What was MSRP on this one?
    I didn't see all the options, but given the visual, my guess is close to $50k.
    edited November 2018
    from the X1s I looked at recently, I would guess more in the 43K range. This 2018 seems reasonably comparable. and sticker barely cracks $41K

https://www.bmwofturnersville.com/detail-2018-bmw-x1-xdrive28i_sports_activity_vehicle-new-18170111.html

stickguy said:

Nice looking X1. good colors. Seems high to me for a 17 with that many miles. Could probably get a 2018 new one leftover for what, 40? Service loaner in the mid-upper 30s?

I can't find any other new/CPO M Sports with a decent option set for under $40k.

stickguy said:

from the X1s I looked at recently, I would guess more in the 43K range. This 2018 seems reasonably comparable. and sticker barely cracks $41K

https://www.bmwofturnersville.com/detail-2018-bmw-x1-xdrive28i_sports_activity_vehicle-new-18170111.html

Not even close- no M Sport, no HIDs, no H-K, Business navigation instead of Professional, no CWP, No HUD.
    Other than that, it's perfect. ;)

Looks like the one RB tagged at minimum has premium, M sport, Nav, HK stereo and driver assist package. What i can’t tell is if it has driver assist plus, technology, and a couple others. Easily minimum $47-48k list if not more. 
    pensfan83 said:

Rahal is probably 30-40 minutes from me if you would like someone on the ground to take a look.

Thanks for the offer!