Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Perfect time for a killer deal on a sedan hybrid possibly. Fusion, accord, Malibu (new but sounds real nice).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you considered a small car but ended up buying something larger, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com by Friday, 2/5/16 with a few words about your decision including the make and model that you chose.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    berri said:

If you want a car, it might not be a bad time to buy. Everyone wants an SUV with the low gas prices. Dealer lots have lots of sedans, but few crossovers.

Great point. When I started driving in 1972, I could buy gas (leaded regular) for 29 cents a gallon. Which I thought was cheap, although I was a poor high school student at the time. And the mid-sized car I drove, a '66 Coronet, got about 20 mpg average with its Slant 6 and 3-speed automatic. Today I saw $1.49 at a gas station near me... which in inflation-adjusted dollars is less than gas cost in 1972! So the fact that many of today's mid-sized cars can average over 30 mpg isn't a big deal for lots of people. I still think it's pretty amazing, though.

So about the post above mine... I was looking to get a compact car when the lease on my Rio5 expires in a few months. But with the great deals on, and great fuel economy of, today's mid-sized cars, I might have to look at mid-sizers. For example, the new 2017 Elantra lists for $20k with what I consider basic equipment, and its fuel economy (2.0L) isn't much better than an Accord or Mazda6. I've seen leases on some mid-sizers for under $200/month sign-and-drive, for 36 months... hard to beat.
  • Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Backy, I agree .

Its hard to pass up on a Accord , Mazda6 or any midsizer with the extra interior rm. and 36 to 40 mpg.
    Sonata, Camry, Altima's, Jetta's can pretty much be had for 200 a month .

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    I went through this before I got my Sonata. I was real close to getting a Mazda 3 instead, but the bigger size fit a lot better (my wife really found the extra room desirable). It did not cost much more on a monthly basis, was way more roomy and comfortable, got close to the same MPG, and had a lot better highway cruising range with the bigger tank.

• Options
    Sonata has the most interior room out of all midsizers. Has anyone top it yet?

• Options

• Options
    I have never been able to figure out how they measure interior room (my impression isn't always the same!), but the Sonata has a ton of room, especially in the back seat. 2nd only to the Passat from my experience. That is a baby Limo. They are full sized cars to me.

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Speaking of back seat room... I test drove a 2017 Elantra today because the dealer was offering a dozen roses, delivered (just in time for Valentine's Day) so how could I turn that down? :) I noticed by the specs that it seemed a little tighter inside than the prior generation, and sure enough, the back seat seemed more cramped to me. Knee room was fine, but toe space was tight. What's so great about lots of knee room if you can't put your feet under the front seat, so your knees are up in the air?

I've found that interior dimensions can be misleading. They don't take into account things like toe space and rear seat cushion height, which have a lot to do with how comfortable rear passengers are. True mid-sizers like the Passat and Sonata have a big (no pun intended) advantage over marginal "mid-sized" cars like the Elantra in that regard... although the Jetta and Corolla have quite a roomy rear seat for "compacts".
  • Options
    at this stage, I rarely have back seat passengers, and if I do, probably not large ones. So roomy up front but a little tight in the back isn't a problem to me.

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883
    2017 Fusion Sport at the Pittsburgh Auto Show

2.7 liter EcoBoost V6 with 325 HP and 350 foot-pounds of torque plus more starting at $34,000 +-

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    New 2017 sport model looks nice . I like the interior Needs nicer rims . The V6 sports power and upgraded tech features is where this car stands out. Reviews look promising This model will help Ford sell more fusions.

The 16 SHO model had a 3.5 w/ 365 HP. And alot more $$ than the 34k starter price for this 17 sport Fusion

Nothing cooler than daddy having 325 under the hood w/ 2 screaming rug rats in the back and wifey looking pissed off in the front. Go 2.7 Eco :smile:

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    edited February 2016
    An SHO Fusion with rear-biased AWD would be nice- assuming the automatic is decent(think: ZF 8HP).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883

An SHO Fusion with rear-biased AWD would be nice- assuming the automatic is decent(think: ZF HP8).

My understanding is the Sport has AWD, but not rear biased. Why would they want that?...LOL.

My current 2.0 AWD with 240 HP is OK for a family sedan, but 325 is even more appealing.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/11/2017-ford-fusion-sport-detroit-auto-show/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I think it's the normal Ford front-biased AWD, but that system will shift torque to the rear before wheel slip occurs. E.g. if you stomp on the accelerator it will shift torque before the front wheels slip. It's based on speed, steering angle, throttle position as well as yaw sensors, etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2016
    stickguy said:

at this stage, I rarely have back seat passengers, and if I do, probably not large ones. So roomy up front but a little tight in the back isn't a problem to me.

Hey guys. One of the reasons the Optima became a front runner choice...and eventually the one I brought home to stay was the roomy back seat. I am 6'2" and 260. I can sit comfortably in the back seat, with my own A/C vents and USB ports for phone charging. On a 2012, that was sweet on a car stickering for $24,260. Considering it is still beautiful and failure free (never left me stranded) after 4 years and 47k; is a testament to Hyundai/KIA and their quest to build quality, long lasting cars. Of course just to be obtuse it seems Car and Driver had an article with a sidebar of 10 cars that needed suspension reworks.The BMW 328 AND the 340 M Sport was #1 on the list. This made me feel a great deal better as mine was 10th.

Anyway, On the 2016 version of my Optima the tester/author said: "Never feels like one axle knows what the other is experiencing".
    -E. Johnson

Well, Mr Johnson. Since it has 4 wheel independent suspension, isn't that the whole point? I don't want to be jostled around just so I can "feel" my right rear wheel hit a 7" deep and wide pothole. I don't want my kids to feel impacts through the frame while they are jamming to whatever kids listen to these days. I don't want to feel strong impacts either. It is a family sedan that LOOKS like a sports sedan. Just a sweet looking Camry.It is not a BMW. However, I have never had an issue with control, quick lane changes to avoid objects (a chair) that fell off a Beverly Hillbilly Design Studios (BHDS) HD Pick-em-up truck, or braking issue's that has elicited an "oh my god oh my god were all gonna die". I do think the brakes are the the biggest weak point. After driving a bottom - end Mustang Eco-boost. I could not believe how bad my brakes felt in comparison.

I also wanted to tell you guys I am $1,775 away from it being paid for. Paying $50 extra each month allowed me to pay it off a whole year early....and now I can concentrate on my 50", 4,000k TV for the living room. (I have a 40" now the is just "meh") The 40" will replace the 32" in my room, and that will go to the kids room. Everybody wins.

Great car, Average to good service, affordable, average F/E, and I STILL look back and admire it as I walk in the store.

So, you guys have known me from beginning to end of the "making payments" era of this 2012 Optima. I plan on keeping it. It still has 53k and 6 more years of warranty left. Will keep everyone updated as it ages..and what I plan on buying next. It will have lots more power. That's all I know now.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    @cski - Good for you Chris.  Having a car almost paid for is a fantastic feeling.  In May, our 2011 Pilot will be paid off.  I also started paying an extra $200 per month towards the Legacy.  Once the Pilot is paid for, I will start to double my Subaru payments & pay that off long before the end of the 6 year loan I took out on it.

Like you, I don't know what's next.  I will tell you that it will have gobs of power.  Thank-you for keeping us updated!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Your black on black 326 HP got reduced to $20,895. That's one option!

• Options
    stickguy said:
    Evil!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    nyccarguy said:

stickguy said:

Evil!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    heck, if they drop it below 20K, might go look at it myself! Though I have absolutely no way to take on (or pay for!) another car right now. 1.5 years from now, hopefully these types of deals are still popping up.

• Options
    Yeah..me too. Kids are older, and they are going to need a car. A 4 door, paid for, safe, automatic trans car is perfect. It should have low insurance rates. I am going to buy that Mustang...or a Mustang. I want a stick, 4 cyl turbo (in case gas goes back up) and the premium package. I am open to the 5.0...just not sure I can use that power. I feel it is more fun to push a slower, great handling car to it's limit on back roads. On a 440 HP V8 Mustang I think I would end up with mega tickets or worse...a huge accident....and with my luck I will nail a Rolls with 4 seniors on oxygen. Maybe the Eco Boost is a better choice for my area.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2016
    stickguy said:

Give me a link to that car nyccarguy!
  • Options

• Options
    edited February 2016
    This G37 looks nice / clean. @19,800 that would be a real sweet deal for this CPO. This vehicle if there is not much interest might go down a few more dollars. I would wait here is why? My son had the 12 model. What I can tell you is this vehicle handles great, its fast and fun to drive. What I did not like about his G37 was terrible road noise( to me awful.) The Suspensions firm ride with driving on very bad Staten Island, NY roads makes this Uninspiring for a mature driver. NJ and going further down south makes this vehicle more appealing with better roads. The number one reason why you need to be careful buying this vehicle and keeping only 2 or 3 years.. Resale will drop like a rock once you own it.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Stick royal leasing seems to have top quality vehicles from what I'm seeing. Couple of questions ?

Do you find them reputable? Are most of these vehicles from NJ? Does Royal have any added fee's on top of there listed pricing you know about? I'm looking for a Grey 2013 / 14, S550 w low miles for my brother . Do you deal with anyone in particular at Royal if I call them .

• Options
    I have stopped in a few times to browse. Very friendly. Cars seem nice. Have never bought but online reviews very positive. They gave been in same place a long time. I can't remember the name of the guy that handles the used sales but if you call, he will answer. Can check eBay too. I think they sell a lot on there also. I have noticed that inventory moves quick usually.

All the cars I have seen are either from jersey or PA. We are close to philly. They do also lease new MB, and certainly have connections to that market.

If you ever want me to stop in or help in any way, always willing! And no, I am not on commission.

• Options
    Stick tks Appreciate the offer. My brother leaves in south NJ probably within 40 min of Voorhees. I'll let him call them put out some feelers.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    I saw a commercial for that just a few minutes ago. Odd. Makes you wonder what happens if all 4 wheels hit potholes at the same time. Car levitates?

• Options
    @explorerx4 - I saw that this AM.  Very cool technology.  That Fusion Sport with the 2.7L Turbo V6, AWD, & adaptive suspension is going to be one slick ride.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The old Citroen DS used to let you drive...slowly...on 3 wheels.
  • Options
    The coolest part is it activates the rear wheel before it actually hits the pothole.

Apparently Lincolns have had this since 2013, Ford just didn't advertise it.
  • Options
    Yeah, what if you ran over a ditch or something?
  • Options
    You would have a jetsons car!

• Options
    No, seriously...hahaha...if both wheels react like that, would it affect stability---you know, kinda like a pogo stick?
  • Options
    All it does is stiffen the shock so the wheel doesn't drop as fast.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Sounds like a expensive feature once the car is out of warranty. I like Fords new feature. Especially in the War-Torn 3rd world country roads of NY and its 5 boroughs.

There isn't 1 pot hole that my wife doesn't like or find when she's driving :worried:

• Options
    sounds lkie my daughter. She even hits the ones that she knows are there.

• Options
    cski said:

stickguy said:

Give me a link to that car nyccarguy!

No, seriously...hahaha...if both wheels react like that, would it affect stability---you know, kinda like a pogo stick?

Yes moderator, but most cars have 4 wheels, to avoid pogo-sticking! LOL. I have a yellow Ford Mustang Premium out front right now (34 hr test drive. There ae mega discounts.....and I am keeping my ca as I have 831 secured load score. BTW, the V8 and the 4 cyl turbo are only $25 dollars more....so I got a quote from Progressive and Geico matched it!!!! Lots to think about.
  • Options
    today is my birthday!
  • Options

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    @cski.
    That's kind of scary, it's mine too!
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Happy birthday guys!

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Midsize sales for February....

Camry 32,405

Altima 28,320

Accord 25,785

Fusion 25,442

Malibu 21,418

Sonata 17,470

Optima 9,630

200 6,597

Legacy 4,454

Passat 4,380

Mazda6 3,617
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    benjaminh said:

Midsize sales for February....

Camry 32,405

Altima 28,320

Accord 25,785

Fusion 25,442

Malibu 21,418

Sonata 17,470

Optima 9,630

200 6,597

Legacy 4,454

Passat 4,380

Mazda6 3,617

Probably been asked before, but is there a way to break out retail versus fleet sales in these numbers?

I'm having a hard time believing that 3000 more folks bought or leased a 200 over the Mazda 6 last month.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    There are a lot more dealers. But would not surprise me if you could count the retail 200 sales on your fingers!

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Someone told me that the 200 might be discontinued along with the Dart. Anyone else hear anything about this happening? I know our company has a bunch of them and most of their 9 speed trannys are a bit wacko. Drove one back to the office on Monday and was told to check out the 9 speed and yep, it was a bit wonky. Personally think 9 is just too many forward speeds, where 6 is probably the optimal number. Besides this major issue, the vehicle isn't all that bad though think the others are just much better. Glad to see that most companies have gotten the message that we small vehicle drivers want the same things as our mid size brothers. Nice to see small vehicles just shrunken copies of their bigger siblings because at this stage of our lives, a small vehicle is the perfect fit and I won't go smaller than 165" as to me, a Spark is just too small...just want some extra room and the compacts are the perfect size.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Now that gas is cheap again, can we go back to 5 & 6 speed automatics as well as hydraulic power steering?

• Options

Someone told me that the 200 might be discontinued along with the Dart. Anyone else hear anything about this happening? I know our company has a bunch of them and most of their 9 speed trannys are a bit wacko. Drove one back to the office on Monday and was told to check out the 9 speed and yep, it was a bit wonky. Personally think 9 is just too many forward speeds, where 6 is probably the optimal number. Besides this major issue, the vehicle isn't all that bad though think the others are just much better. Glad to see that most companies have gotten the message that we small vehicle drivers want the same things as our mid size brothers. Nice to see small vehicles just shrunken copies of their bigger siblings because at this stage of our lives, a small vehicle is the perfect fit and I won't go smaller than 165" as to me, a Spark is just too small...just want some extra room and the compacts are the perfect size.

The Sandman :)B)

Yes, I've read that FCA will be discontinuing both the Dart and the 200. Don't know if they are going to be replaced with anything, meaning they will rely on trucks and SUVs for their sales and profits.

Which may work fine until gas goes back up north of $3/gallon.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator